Need help modding stock airbrakes!

Hey everyone! Tim Dodd, the Everyday Astronaut here! After obsessing over SpaceX's BFS reentry system, I have been playing around with using airbrakes for dynamic drag control through reentry and landing. It works great, but it would be so much better if I could attach something to the stock airbrakes and have them move WITH the airbrakes...

I figured out how to attach to the airbrakes, but I can't get objects to move with them. I've looked everywhere and cannot figure it out! Any help would be so greatly appreciated!!!

Hey! Welcome to the forums! (love your channel btw ;) )

I would suggest you take a look at Animated Attachments. You can set things up so you can attach parts to animated or surface attachments.
Could be pretty useful to get that on airbrakes!

Maybe I should take a look at the airbrake system myself to see if I can make my BFS actuated fins move like that.

PkgSksy.pngNlKRhPG.pngPFtfFJu.png

@everydayastronaut Here:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/166915-143-tundra-exploration-v114-august-16th-stockalike-spacex-falcon-9-dragon-v2-and-bfr/

3 hours ago, damonvv said:

I've added the 2018 BFR parts to Github!

BE AWARE!

This is pure a test build. DO NOT use this with your current save!

Things that are added:

• BFS Command pod
  • BFS fuel tank
  • BFS Engine Shroud
  • SL Raptor engine
  • 2 actuated fins
  • 1 fixed tail fin
  • BFB Interstage
  • BFB Fuel tank
  • BFB Engine cluster

Massive thank you to @JadeOfMaar for helping me out getting things fairly good balanced!

About re-entry: Please be aware that the BFS is very unstable during re-entry. Any help or tips to improve this is highly appreciated!
There's a craft file in the Ships/VAB folder to try out and see how things are set up.

Happy (test) launches!

NlKRhPG.png

Also, welcome to the forums

19 hours ago, everydayastronaut said:

Woah, I just noticed your amazing BFR/BFS model! When will that be available?!

They are available now for testing on my github (be sure to have all the recommended mods listen in the OP here.
Only problem I have so far is that the actuated fins don't actually work yet. I hope I can get this fixed at some point by using the airbrakes but that will take a while to get that balanced right I'm afraid.

On 10/6/2018 at 8:31 AM, damonvv said:

Hey! Welcome to the forums! (love your channel btw ;) )

I would suggest you take a look at Animated Attachments. You can set things up so you can attach parts to animated or surface attachments.
Could be pretty useful to get that on airbrakes!

Maybe I should take a look at the airbrake system myself to see if I can make my BFS actuated fins move like that.

PkgSksy.pngNlKRhPG.pngPFtfFJu.png

This mod has a lot of promise for adding layers of complexity with stock parts.  I've been playing with it a lot.  I posted some in the thread a while back, but as-is you might need to write an additional cfg to change the attachment rules of some of the stock parts.  IIRC the airbrakes don't allow you to attach to them, but they can if you change some values in their attach rules.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.