Asteroids

It would be really cool, if the bigger asteroids would have at least some gravitational field, so smaller ships/probes could orbiting around it (Dawn-like, long term missions)

Also it would be good if for every type of asteroid (size classes, surface differences, etc...) we could collect science from them and maybe a some kind of origin of the Kerbol system (storyline?).

Because right now in the stock game are just useless rocks. Yes, you can mine them, build a space station around them, etc..., but for example collecting surface samples and so on...still not available.

Just like implementing the DMagic Orbital mod into the stock KSP.

23 minutes ago, SudAntares said:

It would be really cool, if the bigger asteroids would have at least some gravitational field, so smaller ships/probes could orbiting around it (Dawn-like, long term missions)

Also it would be good if for every type of asteroid (size classes, surface differences, etc...) we could collect science from them and maybe a some kind of origin of the Kerbol system (storyline?).

Because right now in the stock game are just useless rocks. Yes, you can mine them, build a space station around them, etc..., but for example collecting surface samples and so on...still not available.

Just like implementing the DMagic Orbital mod into the stock KSP.

Umm, you can do science around asteroids - infact they give  new results in new biomes, so you can do a lot.

1 hour ago, Xurkitree said:

Umm, you can do science around asteroids - infact they give  new results in new biomes, so you can do a lot.

Well, I wasn't near by any, even in career or science mode, so maybe that's why I didn't know it.

I knew you can toss them around and so, but it seems I have to refresh my knowledge about asteroids. Anyway, a gravitational field would be cool and actually realistic as well.

13 minutes ago, SudAntares said:

Anyway, a gravitational field would be cool and actually realistic as well.

Technically asteroids count as parts, not celestial bodies. It might be a little hard to figure out how to make a part produce gravity. And the biggest types of asteroids in KSP are still quite small in IRL asteroid terms, so they would still only produce a negligible amount of gravity.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Asteroids would be more interesting if there were several types of ore/resources that could be extracted.
One type could be a mineral unheard of on Kerbin, so mining it would give a lot of science points and if you would bring this mineral back to Kerbin you would get extra funds.
There should be magnetic asteroids that distort the remote operation of probe.
Radioactive killing astronauts if they stay too long in the vicinity of such an asteroid.
Another type is fuel.
Comets, if a player pushes such an asteroid into orbit close to a star, ice will melt and generate a thrust as it approaches the star. If asteroids are like "parts" then such a mechanism should not be a problem.
I wonder if the mechanics allowing the formation of asteroids would be a problem? A burner that would allow us to cut an asteroid into pieces.

56 minutes ago, Cassel said:

Asteroids would be more interesting if there were several types of ore/resources that could be extracted.
One type could be a mineral unheard of on Kerbin, so mining it would give a lot of science points and if you would bring this mineral back to Kerbin you would get extra funds.
There should be magnetic asteroids that distort the remote operation of probe.
Radioactive killing astronauts if they stay too long in the vicinity of such an asteroid.
Another type is fuel.
Comets, if a player pushes such an asteroid into orbit close to a star, ice will melt and generate a thrust as it approaches the star. If asteroids are like "parts" then such a mechanism should not be a problem.
I wonder if the mechanics allowing the formation of asteroids would be a problem? A burner that would allow us to cut an asteroid into pieces.

This is really good!

@Darth Badie, what do you think?

8 hours ago, Darth Badie said:

Will share this with the team :D

Normally I poo poo suggestions that might be cosmetic or take away from expanding the game play of the game as a whole, but an update, or even a DLC *gasp*,  that adds a lot of that functionality, I think the community could get behind.   Adds a lot more things to do and see in space.    This might be a good step towards having more roles for bases and stations. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.