Jump to content

A "KSP Loading..." Preview: 24-77 "Twitch" Liquid Fuel Engine Revamp


Recommended Posts

Known as an excellent engine for small landers due to its size and great thrust-to-weight ratio, the 24-77 “Twitch” Liquid Fuel Engine is getting a heavy makeover for update 1.7… That’s right, we’re working on it!

As you can see, the Twitch got its geometry and textures completely redone. And in addition to the classic orange, we are including a gray & orange variant to match with the style of your crafts. We also included an emissive texture for the throttle animation, as well as an animated gimbal that certainly will make the Twitch Engine look great when it’s in action!

tumblr_inline_pm3xqyMY261rr2wit_540.png
tumblr_inline_pm3xqyr4Rg1rr2wit_540.jpg

Click here for the high-res images

There’s more coming, so stay tuned!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the Texel Density Machine run on the character of the older parts? If so, I think you guys over-fuelled it.

On a constructive note, the emissive texture is pretty simplistic, it seems as if its just a solid gradient of colour working from the throat down to the bell tip. Some small detail showing the non-uniformity in the heating of the bell goes a long way even on small engine bells. See, especially, the vertical streaking on the right hand example:

TCohmQ8.png

It doesn't seem have a normal map (something that seems to be par for the course recently), so the recess on the middle of the cowling looks flat. I presume both textures for this part could be atlased onto something like a 512x512 texture if drawn at a sane px/m scale so adding a normal map at this size, also, is not gonna cripple anyone's PC.

The shapes of the main cowling panels is a bit weird, why would you have 1 small panel in the middle of 4 outer panels (on the sides). This super confusing paneling seems to be happening on various parts now (see the fuel tanks) and I can't wrap my head around why the metal sheet paneling would ever be formed in this way... ? :confused:

w7IZB6Q.png

Apart from that... the preview makes me feel nonplussed. Its a little bland. The old one had a bit more of an organic shape whereas this one is basically just a cylinder. On that note, how is it supposed to Yaw when gimballing? It looks as if it would be constrained by the attachment points at the top of the bracket.

Edited by Poodmund
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm loving all these part revamps, but when are we going to get new stuff? I'd love to get more modern parts, like new engines based off the Raptor, BE-4, Merlin, RL-10, etc and more airplane parts like turboprops or helicopter rotors. Along with that some modern structural parts and structural tube adapters in various shapes and sizes. More science equipment, more solar panel types and maybe even servo's. I have a whole list of specific parts I'd love to see.

A graphical update would also be a nice feature, something like EVE, but stock with the option to turn it on or off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonaldPK51 said:

Please be a drop in replacement please be a drop in replacement...

Lots of deployed vehicles with the current Twitch

Yea, this...

@SQUAD does it really only gimbal in one axis? The hardware looks like it's hinged rather than gimbaled 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's an interesting sprinkling of realism on the old Twitch - nicely captures the essence of the old one.  Hadn't expected the colour options, but that's a nice touch.  (And Tyko Nija'd the gimbal question!) :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually i take it back, I've got just a few thoughts.

I feel like it's missing some sort of je ne sais quoi, but of course like, that's a hard thing to pin down.

A solid black variant would be nice, not just the russian olive drab.

The old one's thrust transform and angle were not straight back, they were slightly angled, like 5 degrees? I'd hope that's being fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lupi said:

Actually i take it back, I've got just a few thoughts.

I feel like it's missing some sort of je ne sais quoi, but of course like, that's a hard thing to pin down.

A solid black variant would be nice, not just the russian olive drab.

The old one's thrust transform and angle were not straight back, they were slightly angled, like 5 degrees? I'd hope that's being fixed.

I don't think this is the Russian olive colour. To me it looks to be more like the black nosecone colour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, T1mo98 said:

I don't think this is the Russian olive colour. To me it looks to be more like the black nosecone colour.

"Grey and orange" is their variant codename for the russian variant, even though it's more green than grey. It probably looks black simply because it's against such a strongly colored background.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lupi said:

"Grey and orange" is their variant codename for the russian variant, even though it's more green than grey. It probably looks black simply because it's against such a strongly colored background.

If I go back and look at previous Dev screenshots from actual Russian varients, the colour is way more greenish and lighter than this.

I don't think we should pay much mind to the names of the varients, since they have been weird in the past. For instance, some of the adapters were called 'Black and White' when there wasn't even any black on it and the Russian varients was just called 'Orange'.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T1mo98 said:

If I go back and look at previous Dev screenshots from actual Russian varients, the colour is way more greenish and lighter than this.

I don't think we should pay much mind to the names of the varients, since they have been weird in the past. For instance, some of the adapters were called 'Black and White' when there wasn't even any black on it and the Russian varients was just called 'Orange'.

 

 

Yeah, don't get me started on variant names, that's an exhausting rabbit hole of confusion at times. One i'm acutely sensitive to, for whatever reason.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren't the hot nozzle colors wrong? Usually it's the bell that glows, and not the combustion chamber, from videos of real rockets.

Anyway, I'm glad to see this clunky thing looking better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...