[1.9.x] AECS Motion Suppressor (air brake, engine, & control surfaces)

linuxgurugamer

So, I'm getting a couple odd things I think are because of this mod. I'm not getting the option to toggle airbrakes in action groups (or rather, toggle deactivates/activates control surfaces, rather than deploys/retracts airbakes). There also seems to be an interaction preventing to Atmospheric Autopilot from using RCS.

On 3/2/2020 at 11:07 AM, dlrk said:

So, I'm getting a couple odd things I think are because of this mod. I'm not getting the option to toggle airbrakes in action groups (or rather, toggle deactivates/activates control surfaces, rather than deploys/retracts airbakes). There also seems to be an interaction preventing to Atmospheric Autopilot from using RCS.

Can't help without information

• 2 months later...

Hi, thankyou for all the hard work you do in the community.  I see your name everywhere!  I was wondering, there are a few old mods that have the old smartactuators as a dependency.  Even causing a conflict in CKAN if this is installed.  Is there any way to point them towards this mod instead, not on CKAN but within the mods themselves?

• 4 months later...
38 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@HebaruSan can you take a look at this?

The abstract you added in https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/7729 has some garbage characters in it (ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE), which are hidden in most editors and GitHub:

o9Sm23i.png

Since this mod has an abstract defined on SpaceDock, easiest solution is to just remove it.

Oops, forgot you migrated it away from SD. In that case, we'll have to edit the netkan.

UPDATE: Those characters were actually on SpaceDock as well, which makes sense if you generated the abstract via copy-paste. Should be purged from everywhere soon.

Edited by HebaruSan

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

The abstract you added in https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/7729 has some garbage characters in it (ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE), which are hidden in most editors and GitHub:

o9Sm23i.png

Since this mod has an abstract defined on SpaceDock, easiest solution is to just remove it.

Oops, forgot you migrated it away from SD. In that case, we'll have to edit the netkan.

UPDATE: Those characters were actually on SpaceDock as well, which makes sense if you generated the abstract via copy-paste. Should be purged from everywhere soon.

Thank you

25 minutes ago, VoidSquid said:

Still looks the same for me as of now.

Have you clicked Refresh?

Or, it might be pulling the abstract from the installed module, if you have it installed. A reinstall might fix that.

Edited by HebaruSan

14 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Have you clicked Refresh?

Couple of times, yes.

15 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

A reinstall might fix that.

Tying now, hold a moment please...

...and right you are, after uninstalling, the description looks properly :) 

• 9 months later...

Hi there, definitely enjoying this mod, but so far I've noticed one issue. Whenever I turn off my engines (not disabling them, but just reducing throttle to zero on an active engine) the mod decides the engine is "disabled" and turns off gimbaling. Since most engines don't cut out instantly, it causes an unavoidable burst of rotation which can be very difficult/costly to correct when using Mandatory RCS/Persistent Rotation. I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour or not, as the wording of the OP kindof implies it's not supposed to affect active engines and nobody else seems to have mentioned this issue. If you think this is a bug, I can provide a modlist/log, otherwise I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to disable the engine gimbal retarder.

Otherwise, great mod! I hate watching my flaps and wheels going off in space. Without testing, does this mod also stop wheels from operating in space too?

Edited by RyGuy_McFly

18 hours ago, RyGuy_McFly said:

Hi there, definitely enjoying this mod, but so far I've noticed one issue. Whenever I turn off my engines (not disabling them, but just reducing throttle to zero on an active engine) the mod decides the engine is "disabled" and turns off gimbaling. Since most engines don't cut out instantly, it causes an unavoidable burst of rotation which can be very difficult/costly to correct when using Mandatory RCS/Persistent Rotation. I'm not sure if this is intended behaviour or not, as the wording of the OP kindof implies it's not supposed to affect active engines and nobody else seems to have mentioned this issue. If you think this is a bug, I can provide a modlist/log, otherwise I guess I'm wondering if it's possible to disable the engine gimbal retarder.

Otherwise, great mod! I hate watching my flaps and wheels going off in space. Without testing, does this mod also stop wheels from operating in space too?

Very good observation.  Actually answers a question I've had over my rockets rotating after shutting down the engines.

I'll look into adding a short delay before locking the gimble, that should solve the problem

New release, 1.3.3

• Fixed issue where reducing throttle to zero had the mod disabling gimbling on the engine immediately.  This caused issues on engines which don't shut down instantly, causing an unavoidable burst of rotation.  Adds a 5 second delay after engine shut down before disabling gimbaling.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have same problem of @Galland1998

And when I use mechjeb ascend guidance mechjeb will make a sharp turn in the first 1-2 seconds after leaving the launchpad, then recover, making the rocket into a side slide.

imho, it is best for this mod not to touch engine gimbal.

for some instance there are vessels that lack of enough reaction torque or rcs thrust and will use emergency engine gimbal for attitude control, they probably need "pre-gimbaling"

so I think it's best only to detect atmospheric drag, if drag is present, do nothing, if no drag then just turn off control surfaces, not touching any engine gimbal.

On 11/21/2021 at 5:53 PM, Galland1998 said:

I was running into an issue with my RSS/RO/RP-1 game in KSP 1.10.1 where my second stage engine would gimbal out of control and flip the stage.  That was using 1.3.3.  Rolling back to 1.3.2.5 and the problem goes away.  The following video shows you what was happening,.

Would have helped if you had pinged me

5 hours ago, cinemagic said:

I have same problem of @Galland1998

Details, including how to replicate, please.

The only change between 1.3.2.5 and 1.3.3 was adding a delay before actually locking the gimbal, so I need something I can use to replicate to test

I've been looking at the mod, and found a few issues with 1.12

Here is a beta which fixes them, I'd appreciate some feedback

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4pn0gz4rby0pen/AECS_Motion_Suppressor-1.3.3.zip?dl=0

Changes

• Added GameEvents for the following engine events:
    • onEngineThrustPercentageChanged
    • onEngineActiveChange
    • onMultiModeEngineSwitchActive
  • Moved all game events into new VesselModule
  • Eliminated the now unnecessary EngineGimbalController
  • Now only touches engines on the active vessel

On 6/26/2022 at 3:43 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Would have helped if you had pinged me

Details, including how to replicate, please.

The only change between 1.3.2.5 and 1.3.3 was adding a delay before actually locking the gimbal, so I need something I can use to replicate to test

As I remember, just install latest mechjeb on ckan (ver2.14.1 I think) and suppressor,

using mechjeb's ascend guidance with its default setting (class ascend profile I think), with any vessel - I remember I tested with the stock Appocallo.

Throttle up and press space key to lift off, 1-2 seconds right after the lift off, the rocket with lean to pitch down to about 60degree, and turn to a random 45degree (from default heading 90 to a heading 45,  135, 225 or 315degree)

Then it will recover after another 2-3 seconds.

Just now, cinemagic said:

As I remember, just install latest mechjeb on ckan (ver2.14.1 I think) and suppressor,

using mechjeb's ascend guidance with its default setting (class ascend profile I think), with any vessel - I remember I tested with the stock Appocallo.

Throttle up and press space key to lift off, 1-2 seconds right after the lift off, the rocket with lean to pitch down to about 60degree, and turn to a random 45degree (from default heading 90 to a heading 45,  135, 225 or 315degree)

Then it will recover after another 2-3 seconds.

Ahhh.  Just saw the issue, but the clue was that it doesn't happen on the first launch.  If you revert to launch, it happens then.  I'm using the beta, this gives me something to work with, thanks

New beta, 1.3.3.1

• Fixed engine gimbal not being unlocked

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1m6x66t0ka19mws/AECS_Motion_Suppressor-1.3.3.1.zip?dl=0

This has been tested with the Appocallo, after multiple launches, all looked good.

Mechjeb does a little dance at the beginning, but that's normal.  Would be solved if there was a 1/2 second delay between engine ignition and launch clamp release.  

Using SAS and full throttle, things work fine also

New release, 1.3.3.1

• Added GameEvents for the following engine events:
    • onEngineThrustPercentageChanged
    • onEngineActiveChange
    • onMultiModeEngineSwitchActive
  • Moved all game events into new VesselModule
  • Eliminated the now unnecessary EngineGimbalController
  • Now only touches engines on the active vessel
  • Only loads defaults one time, not every time the Flight scene is loaded
  • NEW DEPENDENCY:
    • SpaceTuxLibrary

CKAN is being updated for the new dependency, as is the OP

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I replaced AECS 1.3.3 with 1.3.3.1 and things appear to be working great. The only snag, albeit it a tiny one,  is that all the gimballed engines of ships in flight have disappeared. Most of those where in orbit, so no harm done, but a probe or two might miss their orbit insertions.

The log shows this message (many times, clearly)

System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type of field 'AECS_Motion_Suppressor.AECS_VesselModule:Log' 
(1) due to: Could not load file or assembly 'KSP_Log, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' 
or one of its dependencies. assembly:KSP_Log, Version=1.2.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null 
type:<unknown type> member:(null) signature:<none>

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.