Triop

16 hours ago, Jacke said:

Rocket Sled 5, AKA "Kompak Trak"

Nice, you are the first contestant. &)

16 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Hey, congrats on 8k rep, @Triop! 

Thanks, let's make it 10.000 ! :lol:

NEXT UP:

Round 2 race 3: "Helter Skelter" driven by Alsy Kerman, timed 11.62 in the first round.

Small changes here, they added a dragchute, 2 moarrr rockets in the back and 2 sepratron thingy's on the side.

We haven't seen these sepratrons in action before, If they help I'll suspect the other teams are going to copy that design.

4XwkIen.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

24 minutes ago, NBDesigns said:

https://kerbalx.com/NickBDesigns/The-Puke-Bucket-100

I Hereby enter The Puke Bucket 100 in to competition in TF1000

Nice, would you please park it here as a official entree ? :

giphy.gif

Round 2 race 3: "Helter Skelter" driven by Alsy Kerman, timed 11.62 in the first round.

That was an awesome race 07:36, but I think they need to work on their braking...:unsure:

Amazing the damage was minimal, they should be having the car fixed up in no time.

Next up: "Booster Bucket".

6khf4g4.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

Round 2 race 4: "Booster Bucket" driven by Wiluki Kerman, timed 13:18 in the first round.

giphy.gif

What a drama for Booster Bucket, they added 3 extra rockets on the frontside, but it seems the rockets got no juice...14:68

Learn something new everyday....

VKdGLNz.png

AH2bIwB.png

I kinda feel sorry for them, should I give them a 2nd chance ?

TBC

Edited by Triop

Cool rat rods, dudes!

3 hours ago, Triop said:

...and 2 sepratron thingy's on the side.

We haven't seen these sepratrons in action before, If they help I'll suspect the other teams are going to copy that design.

I've used sepratrons on all my rocket sleds except RS-2, AKA "Serious Buzziness".  12 of them provide a bit more thrust than a Flea SRB for 5s (at full fuel) and are lighter, though the Flea burns for 8.8s.  RS-5, AKA "Kompak Trak", my Dragweek entry, uses just 36x 4s 80% fueled sepratrons.

But I've found that sometimes when mounting the sepratrons, due to some weirdness or another (tilting them off-axis?), they provide little to no effective thrust, but I imagine still add to mass and drag.  Was playing around with the original Rocket Sled today (making it stock as well as trying to make it crash less without a radical change).  I'd advise being sure the sepratrons are helping.

And sometimes you can get lost in designs when it might be better to back up to something simpler. :)

1 hour ago, Triop said:

What a drama for Booster Bucket, they added 3 extra rockets on the frontside, but it seems the rockets got no juice...14:68

Learn something new everyday....

Wow, that Fuel Deliver Overlay is neat.

As well, I have noticed that when drawing from more than one tank, all the tanks are drained at the same time.  Makes the CoM movements less dramatic.

1 hour ago, Triop said:

I kinda feel sorry for them, should I give them a 2nd chance ?

I think they should get another chance to fix that issue.  As I found out myself, it's easy to be distracted and not realise something's not working.

4 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I've used sepratrons on all my rocket sleds except RS-2, AKA "Serious Buzziness".  12 of them provide a bit more thrust than a Flea SRB for 5s (at full fuel) and are lighter, though the Flea burns for 8.8s.  RS-5, AKA "Kompak Trak", my Dragweek entry, uses just 36x 4s 80% fueled sepratrons.

But I've found that sometimes when mounting the sepratrons, due to some weirdness or another (tilting them off-axis?), they provide little to no effective thrust, but I imagine still add to mass and drag.  Was playing around with the original Rocket Sled today (making it stock as well as trying to make it crash less without a radical change).  I'd advise being sure the sepratrons are helping.

And sometimes you can get lost in designs when it might be better to back up to something simpler.

I like how everybody here has actual knowledge about this game and here I am slapping on parts hoping it works. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I think they should get another chance to fix that issue.  As I found out myself, it's easy to be distracted and not realise something's not working.

Yeah, I've spoken with the other teams, but they won't have it, round 2 says no testing, just modify and go...

I can't blame them, if I start breaking my own rules the competion would have no meaning.

Next up: "Sledge Hammer"

GOlna5Q.png

Looks like they have added 4 rockets (there are 2 original ones in the backbottom) and brakechutes.

I'm surprised the Sepratrons are not catching on, I really thought the left over teams would use them.

TBC

3 hours ago, Triop said:

Nice, would you please park it here as a official entree ? :

Yes I will, thanks for the contest 

im excited for Jeb I mean stig to be our driver

My game for what ever reason will not allow my craft to not have a prob core when there’s clearly a seat for a kerbal on board. Lol

Edited by NBDesigns

~Side story ~

In my world carwrecks are all over the planet from previous, ahum, "missions"

Every now and then we stumble on a wreck and take it home, even when mom says don't pick up things off the streets. :lol:

QPsMKkU.png

This really needs some work, first let's strip it and get rid of the rust . . . :unsure:

eXpS2kl.png

Excellent, now get this body back into shape, Hammertime :

giphy.gif

FRKCORM.png

Purrrfect, good as new, now let's give it a cool paintjob:

pj9YdEF.png

Oewww, that's dark, I like it :cool: Wheels ?

45uuPZg.png

Nice, next do the engine.

Wut ? Out of funds ?

Does that mea....

TBC :ph34r:

Edited by Triop

Round 2 race 5: "Sledge Hammer" driven by Logal Kerman, timed 14.26 in the first round.

giphy.gif

I'm speechless....It flew over 100 200 meters high and got a 10 second penalty...wauw . . .  :mellow:

DNF and TBC

Edited by Triop

46 minutes ago, Triop said:

I'm speechless....It flew over 100 200 meters high and got a 10 second penalty...wauw . . .  :mellow:

Oh yeah, at times staying on the ground running straight can be a challenge.

Even well behaved rods sometimes end up doing...interesting things. :)

vU9c4T3.png

And @Triop, can you share the .krt file for your 1000m drag race ?  I'd like to use it to test. :D

5 hours ago, Triop said:

Sure, I just didn't think anybody would be running the Races! mod, here you go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4cmf7t7yz8vooo1/RatRodDrag.krt?dl=0

This Races! mod is so underrated... :lol:

Thanks!  Races does look cool.  And it still works in KSP 1.6.1.

I load your race, it looks okay.  But when I run the sprint, the finish line doesn't trigger.  A fast enough short rat rod will slip through a checkpoint without being detected.

I'd made my own 1000m sprint and I also had that problem with it from time to time.

Here's the phantom, my Rocket Sled 5, AKA "Kompak Trak".  (I've modified it a bit since yesterday.... :))

It's 5.4m long.   It peaks around 447m/s just before the finish checkpoint.  And slips through without Races being the wiser.

I've popped its 'chutes before the finish line just to make it longer.  Get it right and they pop to full deploy just before the finish and Races notices.  That's given me 3.48s.

And here's a version I made today with the Vector engine, Rocket Sled 6, AKA "Heavy Trak".

It's 6.6m long.  It peaks at 405m/s a bit farther back from the finish.

Its best time is 3.54s.  And it's always detected.

If I stripped out more mods (I still have effects mods for things like rocket plumbs and crash effects, etc.), maybe RS-5 will be detected.  Will try that later.

At start, RS-6 with the Vector engine is 7.2t, near twice the 3.96t of RS-5 with Sepratrons.  At burnout, 6.2t to 2.23t, near three times.

RS-6 going 402m/s with 6 drogue 'chutes (and it needs to use drogue 'chutes, going too fast for regular) needs care to stop, brake after about a couple of seconds of 'chutes and don't hold the brakes or it goes off the track.

And now I understand why @Ultimate Steve's RA24 has a braking rocket. :D  All that mass going ~400+m/s....

RS-5 going 447m/s with 2 drogue 'chutes stops likes a charm popping the chutes and holding brakes together.

But the dude at the finish line blinks and he misses it. :)

Edited by Jacke

12 hours ago, Jacke said:

I load your race, it looks okay.  But when I run the sprint, the finish line doesn't trigger.  A fast enough short rat rod will slip through a checkpoint without being detected.

Really ? That's annoying (and kinda cool, too fast for measurements :lol:).

7 hours ago, HB Stratos said:

Never tell me to go crazy with anyting... Have fun.

Is that for the TF1000 ?

If so, would you please post it here ? :

I'm doing some work on my El Kamino, I converted a Xenon gas tank so it can hold LF and oxidizer.

I think it looks cool. :cool:

EL5gKPG.png

Round 2 race 6: "Master Blaster" driven by Ribvin Kerman, timed 14.74 in the first round.

Looks like team MB is playing it safe, they added 2 moarrr rockets and 2 sepratrons for balance. I guess they have learnt from the previous contestants.

xHNt5Wq.png

Good run by Master Blaster 09:48 is a time to be proud of. :cool:

Next up: "Black Mail"

Edited by Triop

Round 2 race 6: "Black Mail" driven by Kerul Kerman, timed 14.96 in the first round.

Team Black Mail where not amused by Master Blaster's run, they know they have to push harder now to stay in the game.

They decided to completely remove the engine and added 4 rockets in the front and 2 more in the lower back.

8 rockets and 3 dragchutes....I guess it is all or nothing for them.

Oi6Kdo1.png

TBC :ph34r:

As you may have seen by now, Kerul died in the last race.

We are now talking to all teams to see what to do next, later, team Black Mail will be making a statement.

RIP Kerul Kerman, we witnessed him . . .

24 June 2011 - 17 March 2019

HCtw0f9.jpg

TBC -_-

Edited by Triop

Team Black Mail statement:

"We are all shocked by the events of today, A good friend and family member died.

Kerul was a passionate driver untill the end.

He knew something was wrong when the car lost track, but instead of bailing out he managed to steer the car over the finishline setting a time.

Unfortunately he was dead before he could activate his chutes.

It's that dedication why all teams have decided to continue the race in honour of Kerul Kerbin.

You will be missed, buddy."

Team Black Mail.

TBC

Edited by Triop

R.I.P., Kerul.

[ And I'm out of likes again.... ]

2 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

This isn't getting dark at all :blink:

Well, it's racing over ~80-90m/s.  Even for the pros, on straight sprints, but especially on more complex races, crashes, injury, and death are just a moment's inattention or combination of events away.

Without using reverting, our Kerbal body count through all the cars' development and time trials would be massive.  Even my latest designs, the most recent running almost completely straight down the runway (and needing all of it), still crash from time to time, most commonly while trying to stop.  And as the crashes are usually at over 200-300m/s, I usually only see the TR-2L wheels survive.  And not always.

5 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

I almost cried when Jeb was killed during re-entry on a routine tourist trip.... 

During the start of @Triop's Around the World in 80 Days, I tried mightily to convince him to bring Jeb back.  Even though I always play without return of lost crew.  Because, well, it's Jeb....

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

That video has acutally been popping up on my Youtube suggestions a lot lately.   Been watching too much wreckfest gameplay videos. 

It is a great video.  Guy has a couple others in this series on very different subjects (Spongebob Squarepants and WWE Raw/professional wrestling) and very good and insightful as well.  But that one just encapsulates the core of racing.

Edited by Jacke

ROUND 2 FINAL RACE

Trouble Maker, driver: Joezor Kerman, timed DNF in the first round.

No more madness, team Trouble Maker keeps it safe, added 2 rockets and 2 sepratrons + chutes.

Mdcm3yq.png

Good to see him wearing a helmet, not a bad 2nd run team Trouble Maker. 08:70

Next up:

Round 2 results.

TBC

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.