[1.12] KVASS — Kerbal Very Simplified Simulation and Planning (2023-05-25)

flart

KVASS

Simulation and Planning Time without any restriction. 

wp7fKY6.jpeg

Simulation

Use the Simulation button for a launch, and alongside the cost of the vessel, you will need to pay additional funds for the simulation.

After you finish your testing, use the "Revert to Editor" option as usual. This will return the vessel's cost, but the additional payment will not be reverted (default - 2% of the vessel's cost).

Do not forget to enable the possibility to revert in the stock settings.

Planning Time

For a "real" launch kerbals want "to plan" a vessel before the launch. Also you aren't supposed to revert the "real" launch after the planning, because they are "real".
For the planning time management Alarm Clock App is used. (changeable to KAC in the settings)  
You make your vessel in the editor, click a Clock Button, and alarm is created (appended or prepended to your "planning queue") 
Then you exit to the KSC and wait until the Planning Alarm is finished.
After that you finally Launch your vessel from the Editor or KSC Launchpad/Runway GUI with the usual Launch button. The alarm is automatically deleted.

If you have a reusable stage, simply remove that stage temporarily from the rocket in the editor, create a timer, and then put the stage back before launching the vessel.
If, for some roleplay reason, you have the ability to launch a vessel without planning, feel free to launch without planning.
If you want to make a small tweak to a vessel after the planning, just before launch, go for it. The mod will not restrict you.

Why is it "planning" and not "building"?
The funds will not be spent when you start the "process", but rather  when the process is finished and the vessel is launching. 
So, in-universe, when planning is started, the best minds of KSC staff gather in the meeting room, initiate the planning process.
They discuss how to build the vessel, where to obtain the fuel, where to place the Place-Anywhere 7 Linear RCS Port, and so on.
Once all the planning is completed, the actual building of the vessel follows in the usual Kerbal way: exchanging funds for a ready-to-go vessel from the Green Pocket Dimension.

By default, 1 fund of a vessel's cost will be planned for 10 seconds, and an additional day after. It's as simple as that!

For example, with a 6-hour day: 

Kerbal X rocket (:funds:62,495) will be planned for 62495*10/3600/6 + 1 = 29.9 days
Dynawing Shuttle (:funds:132,899) will be planned for 132899*10/3600/6 + 1 = 62.5 days

Alternatively, you could put a vessel's mass into an equation in the settings.

Additionally, you have the option to enable speed-ups to introduce a progression in planning time:

• speedUp by passing Years (enabled by default):
    Every 5 years planning time will be reduced:
    after 5 years time will be halved, after 10 years - time will be reduced to one-third, and so on.
  • speedUp by Reputation:
    Every time you pass 240·X reputation planning time is reduced, 
    so after 240 Rep time will be halved, after 480 Rep time will be reduced to one-third, and so on.
  • speedUp by Available Kerbals:
    For every 7 available kerbonauts in the Kerbonaut Complex, a new team is created.
    Every team reduces the planning time in the same manner as Reputation.
  • speedUp by Science:
    Every time you pass 2500·X science mark, planning time is reduced (science will not be spent)
    This feature adds utility to lategame science.

You have the option to modify the numbers mentioned above in the settings.

The mod is compatible with Career, Science, or Sandbox mode. In Science mode, you use science points to pay for a simulation.

Advanced Alternatives: KCT + KRASH & Co.

Also it's cozy to use KVASS + KRASH, just disable KVASS Simulation.

KVASS legacy (v1)

Spoiler

obWvBu1.jpg

Simple. No new GUI. Simulation and Planning Time are together.

Simulation

If your vessel name starts with "Test" or "Simulation" that mean you in the simulation mode.  
Use usual Launch button, and beside a cost of the vessel, you will need to pay additional funds for a simulation.  
After you finish your testing, use usual "Revert to Editor" option — you will get back a vessel's cost but an additional payment will not be reverted.  
Default additional payment is 2% of a vessel's cost.

Planning Time

if you vessel name isn't started with the Simulation pattern, then you need "to plan" your vessel before a launch.
For the planning time management Kerbal Alarm Clock is used.  
You make your vessel in the editor, click "Launch", and instead of launching, new KAC alarm is created. 
if planning time satisfies you, exit to the KSC and wait until your planning KAC Alarm is finished.
Do not delete the alarm, it needs to stay in the alarm list when you going back to the Editor and finally
launch your vessel with the Launch button. Alarm is deleted automatically.
Also you can enable queue: plan only one vessel at the time. When you add new planning, all existing planning are delayed or new planning added to the end of queue (check settings)

By default at start of your game, 1 fund of a vessel's cost will be planned 10 seconds, and additional day after. Simple as that!

So, for example: 

• GDLV3 Vehicle (24,557 funds) will be planned in 24557*10/3600/6 + 1 = 12.4 days
  • Dynawing Shuttle (132,899 funds) will be planned in 132899*10/3600/6 + 1 = 62.5 days

Later you will have speedUp by Reputation effect, and if you want to get even more, you could enable other speedUps:

• speedUp by Reputation: Every time you pass 240·X reputation planning time is reduced, 
    so after 240 Rep time will be halved, after 480 Rep time will be thirded, etc.
  • speedUp by Available Kerbals: Every 7 available kerbonauts in the Kerbonaut Complex creates new team,
    which reduces planning time the same way as Reputation.
  • speedUp by Science: Every time you pass 2500·X science planning time is reduced, 
    so after 2500 Science time will be halved, after 5000 Science time will be thirded, etc.
    It is intended for a late game, after the tech tree is opened.

The Dynawing will be planned in 31 days if you have 240 Rep.
If you enable second SpeedUp and have 7 available kerbonauts, the Dynawing will be planned in 15 days

Do not disable the reverting in the stock difficulty section, you need it for reverting any Simulation,
and you are not suppose to revert the "real" launch after the planning, because they are "real".

Consider to add some mod like KER, that can show name of the vessel on flight screen —
this way you will not forget do you in a simulation or in a "real" flight.

In the setting page, you could:
change cost of a simulation or a planning
disable any of them separately,
disable them for the SPH — planes and truck are launched at once.
disable a queue — unlimited amount of simultaneous planning
enable killing timewarp for KAC planning alarms by default 
enable expanded message for creating new planning

The mod works in the Career or Science mode. In the Science mode you pay science points, and mass of the vessel is used.

FAQ:

Q: Can I change the simulation text pattern?
A: Yes, check SettingRegex.cfg for instruction, you need just a MM-patch, that add new RegEx.

Q: Why is it "planning" and not "building"?
A: The funds will be spent not when you start "process", but when the process is finished and vessel is launching. 
So, in-universe, when planning is started, the best minds of KSC-staff meet each other in the meeting room,
and start planning: how to build the vessel, where get the fuel, and so on. After all planning is done, 
the building proceeds in the usual kerbal way: exchange funds for a ready-to-go vessel from the Green Pocket Dimension

Known Bugs

• KSC Scene Launchpad/Runway GUI: the MH radiobuttons doesn't work (use green or small 'Launch' buttons)
  • Alarms are created with WarpKill, even if the option is disabled.
    After a scene change alarms became as it suppose to be without WarpKill.

Download:

Releases page: https://github.com/yalov/KVASS/releases

Localization is supported.

Donation: Patreon

Link-Spacedock-blue.svg  Link-ChangeLog-blue.svg

CKAN-Indexed-green.svg  KVAS.svg?label=Version&colorB=4CC61E  speedunitannex.svg?maxAge=3600&label=Lic

Edited by flart

This looks really cool.

Have you considered how this might work with BARIS? It has it's own time-delayed launch system in it's Integration feature. I kind of wonder how these would work together if I turned down the planning multiplier a bit.

Edited by theonegalen

On 4/4/2019 at 12:31 AM, theonegalen said:

Have you considered how this might work with BARIS

There are some mods, what is made for making an advanced KCT+KRASH gameplay even more advanced: ScrapYard, Oh Scrap!, BARIS.

KVASS is on the other side of this line: it is for a simplified KCT+KRASH alike gameplay and it is not supposed to work with any of these advanced mods. 
(except StageRecovery, it's pretty standalone)

Edited by flart

• 2 weeks later...

Simple & interesting.  I have already been doing something similar in my head.  Rather than waiting to launch, I've imposed a wait until the next launch on myself.  And I based it on mass rather than cost.  I haven't wanted to get into a more in-depth mod like KCT, but I may have to give this a try to automate the wait time

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, any idea why the Simulation part doesn't work for me before I dig up any logs? What other mod might circumvent it? Maybe any Contract Mod stuff that I have installed due to dependencies? The planning part works but the simulation pattern does seem to get recognised only partially. In a way that the launch button works like vanilla (when doing a simulation), that means neither there is a planning phase nor is there a simulation wich gets reverted. I get all the money and science from the missions, lost Kerbals stay lost etc. .

I'm on KSP 1.7. with Making History.

Edited by TheYear2525

2 hours ago, TheYear2525 said:

planning part works

That means that KVASS should works ok, and no other mod interrupts it.

the launch button works like vanilla

Only thing that should be changed, is additional payment when you click launch button in the editor in the simulation mode.
You can notice lowering funds in the corner of your eye while miliseconds in the Editor after clicking launch button
Also you could check settings, it is possible to make priceless simulation (or disable simulation)

I get all the money and science from the missions, lost Kerbals stay lost etc

Did you press "Revert to Editor", but something did not reverted?
It is the problem of vanilla reverting, because I didn't change that part.

Edited by flart

Ah, I see what's going on here now. I was under the impression that the only time you need a "simulation" is when you are playing with reverting disabled in the difficulty settings. Because when you allow reverting and/or quicksaving you factually already have the means to "simulate" a mission. Not speaking about planning time and simulation cost here. Having no revert button I was trying to use the "go to..." button after crashing or one of the other vanilla buttons.

I think it might make more sense to not have those vanilla buttons work in that way, since I find it very confusing even just being able to turn a simulation into reality. Also because you shouldn't be able to turn simulations into reality when it actually went well. Or accidentally turning it into reality when it didn't. Having that said I like your way of generating extra cost and planning time better than KRASH and thank you for your work.

If I try to prevent all ways to "cheat" the mod (there are plenty of those), it is going to be more complicated internally than I want it to be now,
and I like that the mod isn't loaded on any scene except the editor, and doesn't create any long term data except the KAC Alarms.

I should specify in the OP that the revert possibility in the stock setting needs to be enabled

Edited by flart

• 4 months later...

Version 0.11.0

• supports MH Launch buttons
  • options to ignore SPH. Planes and trucks are built without planning or simulation.
  • option to kill time-warp on the end of a simulation.
  • queue of planning (and option to disable):
    New planning is added to start of the queue, other timers delayed correspondingly in the KAC list.
    Removing any planning from the queue (in the Editor) will shift following timers back

Next in my TODO list there is a support for the Launchpad window.

I think I cannot change that message from the KAC window,
although it possible to make new messagebox for finished planning alarms, but I am not planning that now.

• 1 month later...

Version 0.12.0

• Recompile for ksp 1.8
  • .NET 4.7.2
  • add SpeedUp by Science (disabled by default)
  • add difficulty presets
  • option for showing the planning time on an alarm creation
  • support of Launchpad/Runway GUI
    • The green button launches only to Launchpad/Runway
    • the MH launchbuttons launch to the MH launchsites
    • [known-bug] MH radiobuttons doesn't work for now
  • Queue shifts work on any scene
  • [known-bug] Alarms are created with WarpKill, even if the option is disabled. 
    After a scene change alarms became as it suppose to be with/without WarpKill.

Edited by flart

• 4 months later...

Version 0.13.0

• added option for appending to the queue of planning, instead of prepending
  • fixed queueing bug when created non planning alarm
  • updated localization 
  • splitted settings on 3 columns
  • ksp 1.9.1
  • option to show calculation message, when creating new planning alarm (None, Short, Expanded)
    Gp8c1UF.jpg  ftXbEXR.jpg  AdbLmpU.jpg

Version 1.0.0

• bump version to v1 (reimagined v2 coming soon)
Edited by flart

• 1 month later...

I wasn't working on the re-imaging since last message, so it's it's 2.0.0-RC until I will having a ksp mood.

Version 2.0.0-RC
New Look! Buttons! No restrictions! It's a "Helper" now, and not a "Limiter".

79745670-66c39d80-8311-11ea-9d6f-1516732

v1 was having some irritating features:

• You was needed to cheat the mod to launch without planning, if it was needed for some reason (reusable rockets)
  • writing "Test", and then removing autosaved "Test" copy of the vessels. clutter up the vessel list.
  • Switching append/prepend to queue require exit to KSC and go to the settings.
  • It was not possible to add several vessel with the same name to queue

So I reimagined the mod, and now it's even less restrictive:

• restore stock Launch button action (disable any checking there)
  • add 3 new separate buttons in the Editor: [Simulation], [Prepend] and [Append] planning to the quere (if its enabled)

So now launch button doesn't check anything itself and you can launch reusable rocket at ones,
    you don't need to write "Test" since there is a special button for a Simulation
    Also you have separate buttons for Append/Prepend (disableable), and it is possible to add any amount of equally named vessels with a same name

https://github.com/yalov/KVASS/releases

Edited by flart

5 hours ago, flart said:

I wasn't working on the re-imaging since last message, so it's it's 2.0.0-RC until I will having a ksp mood.

Version 2.0.0-RC
New Look! Buttons! No restrictions! It's a "Helper" now, and not a "Limiter".

79745670-66c39d80-8311-11ea-9d6f-1516732

v1 was having some irritating features:

• You was needed to cheat the mod to launch without planning, if it was needed for some reason (reusable rockets)
  • writing "Test", and then removing autosaved "Test" copy of the vessels. clutter up the vessel list.
  • Switching append/prepend to queue require exit to KSC and go to the settings.
  • It was not possible to add several vessel with the same name to queue

So I reimagined the mod, and now it's even less restrictive:

• restore stock Launch button action (disable any checking there)
  • add 3 new separate buttons in the Editor: [Simulation], [Prepend] and [Append] planning to the quere (if its enabled)
  • So now launch button doesn't check anything itself and you can launch reusable rocket at ones,
  • you don't need to write "Test" since there is a special button for a Simulation
  • Also you have separate buttons for Append/Prepend (disableable), and it is possible to add any amount of equally named vessels with a same name

This is great!  Hurray!  I didn't like the "Test" thing.  No sir, not one bit.

Not sure what Append and Prepend mean.  Is it possible to get a walkthough in of how to use the 2.0.0-RC?

Thanks for some stunning work.

Peace.

On 4/20/2020 at 7:47 PM, theJesuit said:

Not sure what Append and Prepend mean.

Let say you have queue enabled, and two vessels with 2 days planning each, so in the KAC:
Vessel 1 - 2d
Vessel 2 - 4d

Appending Vessel 3 with 3d planning  is:
Vessel 1 - 2d
Vessel 2 - 4d
Vessel 3 - 7d

and Prepending Vessel 3 is:
Vessel 3 - 3d
Vessel 1 - 5d
Vessel 2 - 7d

On 4/20/2020 at 7:47 PM, theJesuit said:

Is it possible to get a walkthough in of how to use the 2.0.0-RC?

Now Simulation is clicking the "Simulation" button, without any name checking, it will take additional funds with cost of the vessel, and the additional funds will not be reverting after reverting to the editor.
Launching routine is building your vessel, click one of the timer buttons, new timer will be added to KAC, go to the KSC, warp time, launch with LaunchPad GUI or going back to editor.
Now it doesn't check the name or whatever the timer is finished, so if for some roleplay reason you want to launch vessel without a timer or with unfinished timer — you can.
And if the timer was finished, it will be auto-removed after the launch.

Edited by flart

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Version 2.0.10 Beta

• ksp 1.12
  • using stock Alarm Clock App by default.
    There is a toggler ACA <> KAC in the setting
  • [known bug]
    Adding new alarm when Alarm Clock App GUI is opened, makes the alarm be showed in the GUI as 0:00:00 until scene change.

• 3 weeks later...

Version 2.5.0

• ksp 1.12.2
  • using stock Alarm Clock App by default
  • Supported SANDBOX
  • Planning time by cost and by mass options is enabled in All game modes
  • take into account cost of a kerbal's inventory

Version 2.5.1

• fix NullReferenceException
  • remove log spam

Version 2.5.2

• fix missing new line character in the alarm desc after the scene change

Version 2.5.3

• add simulation message on Simulation launch in the editor
Edited by flart

• 1 year later...

@flart Litle question : What's the limitations of the simulation mode in regards to save/load ? example : what happens if I save/load during simulation, to test different behaviours/siutations, then reload a save where my vessel is on the launchpad, and recover it. Will KVASS interfere/will not be happy about that ?

Thanks for your help ! :) 

Edited by kurgut

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.