Artemis Discussion Thread

Nightside

24 minutes ago, RCgothic said:

:mad:

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

At this point, they might as well go and make the LESS by itself.

Just make it 2 stage, the ascent stage holds the extra supplies, and the descent just holds enough to get back to Orion.

That's 3 billion saved for NASA, while the military continues to spend almost $800 billion.

15 minutes ago, GuessingEveryDay said:

Just make it 2 stage, the ascent stage holds the extra supplies, and the descent just holds enough to get back to Orion.

Orion is not in LLO. Any return vehicle for an abort situation needs to be able to phase with the capsule, which in the NRHO case could take days.

4 hours ago, tater said:

Orion is not in LLO. Any return vehicle for an abort situation needs to be able to phase with the capsule, which in the NRHO case could take days.

Hmmm. Maybe it'll be simplified version of National Team's lander, a transfer module that can dock to both of the modules, so when the time comes, the transfer can circularize at the periapsis, let the astronauts land, then when the ascent comes back, they can stay in the transfer module for the return to Orion.

20 hours ago, Beccab said:

That's just the boarding pass that you can get by putting your name in an Artemis link, I got one too. Unless it's an extremely subtle announcement, I doubt that means it

Considering we got tweets showing off the Snoopy zero-G indicator and the four Lego minifigures going around the Moon (there might even be a Playmobile astronaut and robot but I might be mixing that up with Thomas Pesquet’s recent ISS visit) it is unlikely an announcement would be that cryptic.

8 hours ago, tater said:

FWqyD4bX0AEoGe2?format=jpg

SLS, with 39A just right, and the Starship Super Heavy OLT going up to the right of that. Basically all Artemis in one shot in terms of launch towers.

My reactions to this-

1. It will be neat to see SLS and Starship up at the same time, which could happen in 2024.

2. Someone should make a meme using that template of Jason Momoa and Henry Cavill with the Starship program sneaking up on SLS.

Well it seems Artemis is off to a wonderful start! I hope rocket lab doesn't get blamed for this somehow, the launch was amazing and they probably don't have anything to do with this disaster.

2 hours ago, RCgothic said:

I've heard this might be fairly consistent with a solar panels not deployed issue, so comms were on battery until it died.

If so the prospects for recovery are not good.

U9Hp3wp.png

1 minute ago, Minmus Taster said:

Well it seems Artemis is off to a wonderful start! I hope rocket lab doesn't get blamed for this somehow, the launch was amazing and they probably don't have anything to do with this disaster.

If anything, RL might be the solution - it seems Lunar Photon could have enough fuel left to enter NRHO on its own, which could make it replace Capstone if it's not recovered