Rainbow Cats what ???

Gavin786

At first I thought it could be malware, I just did a scan with Kasperski, and tried to run other games and see if it happens there but it seems ok for now.

8E2A5036CF458491755899BA1FC98E8E42AC75B6

DBFAADC14CC4D8D3E7AD70E16214DCC4A78B446B

F2D4EB89445F938EA33918FA64850BBBCD5E3849

Is this an easter egg or is a mod creator taking the fk ?

Anyone else get this ?

Gavin786

1 hour ago, Dafni said:

It's an Easter Egg kinda thing from Module Manager. Pops up a few times per year, april fools etc. Dont know why it did today though.

It's there because the installed version of Kopernicus is not compatible with the running KSP version. The Nyan Cats + the warning in the upper left corner + the warning in the popup window are supposed to catch the attention of the player. Worked fine this time :) 

I think this is the correct answer, when it is not April 1st.

On 4/11/2019 at 5:40 AM, Ruedii said:

The feature is from module manager, it is to indicate that you have a KSP version that is not yet whitelisted for module manager, and may have issues.

There seem to be 2 opinions on the reply, that its Kopernicus or that its Module Manager.  Thing is I had the warning from Kopernicus a lot already and the cats never appeared before.  Nor have they ever appeared before.

I just got rid of Kopernicus and the cats are gone.  Looks like that was causing the problem.  Its strange as it just started happening and I had Kopernicus before come up with the compatibility warning yet no cats.

1 hour ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

It's there because the installed version of Kopernicus is not compatible with the running KSP version. The Nyan Cats + the warning in the upper left corner + the warning in the popup window are supposed to catch the attention of the player. Worked fine this time :) 

There you go, plus what @Val said. It is a part of the Module Manager code.

4 minutes ago, Dafni said:

There you go, plus what @Val said. It is a part of the Module Manager code.

OK got it, so it is both Module Manager AND Kopernicus.  Module Manager sees Kopernicus as incompatible and does the cats.  Explains why it stopped when Kopernicus was removed.  Why did the cats start appearing?  I have had incompatible modules before but no cats.

5 minutes ago, Gavin786 said:

OK got it, so it is both Module Manager AND Kopernicus.  Module Manager sees Kopernicus as incompatible and does the cats.  Explains why it stopped when Kopernicus was removed.  Why did the cats start appearing?  I have had incompatible modules before but no cats.

I cant say. I only ever got the cats on april fools day and was told it is a Module Manager feature. Then later I heard Module Manager pops the cats at you if you run it on an incompatible version of KSP too. That it would detect incompatible versions of mods such as Kopernicus is news to me too. But it sounds perfectly reasonable to me now.

Maybe it only reacts to version locked mods such as Kopernicus? I dont know. Sorry.

Ok, let's go on full details here:

ModuleManager will show the cats on april fools day (1st of april), the (japanese?) cats day (22th of february) and also, if you launch the game with a specifig startup parameter (-nyan-nyan or -ncats):

The code in ModuleManager looks like this and it's pretty well readable, even if you don't know anything about coding:

bool foolsDay = (DateTime.Now.Month == 4 && DateTime.Now.Day == 1);
bool catDay = (DateTime.Now.Month == 2 && DateTime.Now.Day == 22);
       nyan = foolsDay || Environment.GetCommandLineArgs().Contains("-nyan-nyan");

As far as I know (and I don't see any other hints for it in the code), ModuleManager itself does NOT show cats for any other reason, just on these two days.

On the other hand, Kopernicus uses this "feature" of ModuleManager to indicate an incompatibility issue. Since Kopernicus requires ModuleManger anyway, it can use the same method from ModuleManager:

if (IsCompatible())
                return;
            Type moduleManager = Parser.ModTypes.FirstOrDefault(t => t.Name == "ModuleManager" && t.Namespace == "ModuleManager");
            if (moduleManager == null)
                return; // no cat :(
            FieldInfo nyan = moduleManager.GetField("nyan", BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic);
            FieldInfo ncats = moduleManager.GetField("nCats", BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic);
            UnityEngine.Object mm = FindObjectOfType(moduleManager);
            nyan.SetValue(mm, true);
            ncats.SetValue(mm, true);

This read from top to bottom: If kopernicus is compatible, you're good to go and everything after the second line of code will not be executed but if it is not compatible and ModuleManager is installed, set the variables "nyan" and "ncats" to "true" (this will cause the cats to appear).

Also, like I said before, you will get this screen message:

"Kopernicus will not work on this version of KSP!
Please don't try to open your savegames!"

which is visible in your screenshot + the window which says that kopernicus is not compatible.

So, I'm feeling very confident to say: Your version of KSP and kopernicus are not compatible. Wild guess: you run a modded game via steam and the latest autoupdate of KSP (1.7.2) broke kopernicus.

14 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Ok, let's go on full details here:

ModuleManager will show the cats on april fools day (1st of april), the (japanese?) cats day (22th of february) and also, if you launch the game with a specifig startup parameter (-nyan-nyan or -ncats):

The code in ModuleManager looks like this and it's pretty well readable, even if you don't know anything about coding:

bool foolsDay = (DateTime.Now.Month == 4 && DateTime.Now.Day == 1);
bool catDay = (DateTime.Now.Month == 2 && DateTime.Now.Day == 22);
       nyan = foolsDay || Environment.GetCommandLineArgs().Contains("-nyan-nyan");

As far as I know (and I don't see any other hints for it in the code), ModuleManager itself does NOT show cats for any other reason, just on these two days.

On the other hand, Kopernicus uses this "feature" of ModuleManager to indicate an incompatibility issue. Since Kopernicus requires ModuleManger anyway, it can use the same method from ModuleManager:

if (IsCompatible())
                return;
            Type moduleManager = Parser.ModTypes.FirstOrDefault(t => t.Name == "ModuleManager" && t.Namespace == "ModuleManager");
            if (moduleManager == null)
                return; // no cat :(
            FieldInfo nyan = moduleManager.GetField("nyan", BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic);
            FieldInfo ncats = moduleManager.GetField("nCats", BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic);
            UnityEngine.Object mm = FindObjectOfType(moduleManager);
            nyan.SetValue(mm, true);
            ncats.SetValue(mm, true);

This read from top to bottom: If kopernicus is compatible, you're good to go and everything after the second line of code will not be executed but if it is not compatible and ModuleManager is installed, set the variables "nyan" and "ncats" to "true" (this will cause the cats to appear).

Also, like I said before, you will get this screen message:

"Kopernicus will not work on this version of KSP!
Please don't try to open your savegames!"

which is visible in your screenshot + the window which says that kopernicus is not compatible.

So, I'm feeling very confident to say: Your version of KSP and kopernicus are not compatible. Wild guess: you run a modded game via steam and the latest autoupdate of KSP (1.7.2) broke kopernicus.

Thanks man, you spent a lot of time on that reply.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.