Can we get a confirmation T2's CEO will not influence SQUAD's direction?

Jestersage

Keep in mind that T2 only owns Private Division. They still can operate mildly independently from T2. PD is for T2's smaller releases, such as Kerbal Space Program. Though T2 runs PD, PD has different goals and serves an entirely different market. T2 is (probably) smart enough to know that what works for AAA games, does not work for more indie titles (like KSP). You could get away with financial success by slamming a AAA game with microtransactions (though this success does appear to be on the decline, there still is profit to be made), but if you tried that with an indie game, you'd quickly run the consumers off and lose profit faster than you could earn it. Tactics are different. So bear that in mind.

Also, for those curious and searching for the video-  I watch Yungyeo's videos (though no recently) and think OP is referring to this video-

Reeeeeeeee, OP just added the link seconds before I did. Ah well. Mine is embedded for the lazy.

Based on what I've seen so far, any influence Take Two or Private Division staff have had on KSP development has been good. Delta-V readouts, orbit info and manouvre editor, robotics DLC, and so on - a lot of good stuff that's been added after the buyout.

3 hours ago, cantab said:

Based on what I've seen so far, any influence Take Two or Private Division staff have had on KSP development has been good. Delta-V readouts, orbit info and manouvre editor, robotics DLC, and so on - a lot of good stuff that's been added after the buyout.

While I hate megacorps and the slow erosion of common sense that seems prevalent in the larger companies....  I have to agree with you.  Since the T2 buyout, I've only seen large improvements to KSP.  Sure, they added some 'paid' expansions (DLC)... but more than likely, it was exactly that which allowed them to make the other changes.

5 hours ago, cantab said:

I've got to say, I also agree with this sentiment. 

6 hours ago, cantab said:

Keep up the good work, Take-Two chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick!

Can we get confirmation that hating on T2 is low hanging fruit and kind of tired at this point?

KSP is still alive and well, thriving even, despite all the doomsaying over T2 in the past.

Would you like some Squad staff or T2's CEO to personally come to your house and pat you on the head? Would that make you feel better? That would make me feel better, sign me up if you ever get to talk to them!

Keep in mind that the only reason a large publisher buys a small developer is to utterly destroy their game and alienate the fan base, burning the entire investment made into it. It’s the only reason. No other motivation exists.

While we're all happy KSP survived the corporate dicer, let's not lose ourselves thinking it was anything on T2's part other than supplying the project with a cash injection and access to a wider selection of skilled developers, for the promise of a profitable return and nothing else. They have no artistic interest in the product, it's minutae or integrity of development. Games publishers do not hire from the games industry, all of their leaders come from the packaged goods industry. That should tell you all you need to know.

We're lucky they've taken no interest in it beyond writing a self-serving EULA, for now, so long as it meets performance expectations.

25 minutes ago, Loskene said:

While we're all happy KSP survived the corporate dicer, let's not lose ourselves thinking it was anything on T2's part other than supplying the project with a cash injection and access to a wider selection of skilled developers, for the promise of a profitable return and nothing else.(...) Games publishers do not hire from the games industry, all of their leaders come from the packaged goods industry. That should tell you all you need to know.

And all of that cuts both ways.

Profit is a delicate balance between many things, and shaking things up radically is a desperate last-options move. It’s highly unpredictable what any “game destroying” actions would result in revenue-wise, while clearly destroying the interest of the game, so introducing per-launch micropayments or “pay 50 gems to unlock robotics” seems out of the question to me.

With leadership coming from other industries comes experience, so they have learned that the point of buying outsider companies that don’t fit in your own company should remain independent lest you’d lose the whole point of buying them.

Really, T2 on the whole brings stability to Squad, I think. It’s unlikely that it’s a coincidence that we see so much more content being added to the game now (“but as paid DLC,” some will whine. Why yes, how else would they get paid for developing it?)

1 hour ago, Loskene said:

While we're all happy KSP survived the corporate dicer, let's not lose ourselves thinking it was anything on T2's part other than supplying the project with a cash injection and access to a wider selection of skilled developers

Yeah no programming endeavor ever saw benefit from those things.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:37 AM, Loskene said:

I'm very curious what it is you think was being said there

I thought you were saying T2 only provided Squad with cash and access to developers, in exchange for the Kerbal IP.

I actually think they only provided the cash but I'm by no means an insider.

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

I thought you were saying T2 only provided Squad with cash and access to developers, in exchange for the Kerbal IP.

I actually think they only provided the cash but I'm by no means an insider.

Oh. Well you're right I have no idea if they did, but I believe large publishers also hook their various studios up with industry contacts they have to get a better return out of it. There have been a lot of new hires since then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.