Joker58th

Slipping and Sliding on the Mun Surface

Question

In 1.8.1 my rover is slipping and sliding like its on ice.  Initially when I landed, it behaved normally.  I relaunched the game and when I went back to the rover, it behaves like the video as shown.  I relaunched the game a third time and is the same.  Anyone seen this before?

18 answers to this question

Hi,

This has happened to me as well.

Seems to be a weight issue when using the RoveMax S2 wheels as Joker58th has observed.

Had it happen on a rover I made using a RoveMate core with the light scanning arm similar to the rover that Tim_AZ has above. Issue disappears if I use the medium or large scanning arms (heavier arms)  .

A work around that I use with the lightweight rovers that are doing this is to go to the console (Alt F12), go to the cheats menu and tick on "Hack Gravity". Move the slider up to 10 or so and leave for a second, slide it back to 1 (reset) and untick "Hack Gravity" and then it will work ok then. You'll need to do this every time you go the space centre and return back to the rover though. 

If anyone is still monitoring this. on smaller rovers if the springs are set to default (i.e. 1) then on loading a craft via quick save or a scene load the rover will slip on its wheels.

Increase springs to 1.25 will stop it from sliding

I've got one on the mun doing this as well.  I've pretty much written it off.  To make matters worse it is in a perpetual slide at about .9 m/s which makes it very difficult to switch out or return to the tracking station etc. 

Is the parking braking on?

(The right-down clickable yellow-brown icon on the very top of the screen, next to the vertical speed indicator).

Thanks for all the replies and its nice to see I'm not the only one.  Even with the brake on and completely stopped, it will start to slide as if it were on ice.  Plenty of electric power as well.  I use a mod called "parking brake" to keep it stopped once I can get it slowed down enough through maneuvering and applying power.  I think this is some sort of bug but wanted to throw it out here to everyone.  I will try and report it to Squad.  If anyone else has a work around, would be great to know.  I haven't landed another rover yet.  Maybe its a weight based bug thing where heavier rovers wouldn't experience this.  This is the smallest rover I've ever built.  Had to fit in a 1.25m fairing.  

gm3vkKT.png

17 hours ago, Joker58th said:

In 1.8.1 my rover is slipping and sliding like its on ice.  Initially when I landed, it behaved normally.  I relaunched the game and when I went back to the rover, it behaves like the video as shown.  I relaunched the game a third time and is the same.  Anyone seen this before?

Not with a rover, but I used to get this thing on the mun and minmus when Kerbal would slide down the surface (in ragdoll mode) and I couldn’t make them get up until they stopped sliding, which either took a LONG time or they “popped” on the way down... :’(

I recorded some video of mine as well.  Luckily it survived the load in bounce.  I forgot that I had disabled the motors the last time I tried to use it so they are off for the first part of the video.  I think that actually helps highlight the problem. 

I found this mod pretty helpful:

Also, this mod helps a lot with the bouncing issue when loading a scene:

Additionally, you might want to define a different set of keys for forward/reverse/left/right movement, as WSAD include rotational forces.

Edited by VoidSquid

On 12/29/2019 at 10:29 PM, AstroG said:

A work around that I use with the lightweight rovers that are doing this is to go to the console (Alt F12), go to the cheats menu and tick on "Hack Gravity". Move the slider up to 10 or so and leave for a second, slide it back to 1 (reset) and untick "Hack Gravity" and then it will work ok then. You'll need to do this every time you go the space centre and return back to the rover though. 

Excellent @AstroG!  Your work around worked perfectly.  Exactly what I was hoping for.  Thanks so much!

still not a fix however...wonder what the exact cause is

On 1/25/2020 at 6:59 AM, Anth12 said:

If anyone is still monitoring this. on smaller rovers if the springs are set to default (i.e. 1) then on loading a craft via quick save or a scene load the rover will slip on its wheels.

Increase springs to 1.25 will stop it from sliding

This worked for me. Perfect! And without hacking the gravity. Thx a lot.

On 12/30/2019 at 4:29 AM, AstroG said:

Hi,

This has happened to me as well.

Seems to be a weight issue when using the RoveMax S2 wheels as Joker58th has observed.

Had it happen on a rover I made using a RoveMate core with the light scanning arm similar to the rover that Tim_AZ has above. Issue disappears if I use the medium or large scanning arms (heavier arms)  .

Thanks AstroG for your provided solution. But I like Anth12's solution a little bit more as no gravity hack is needed and it works for me and my rovers on Mun and Minmus perfectly.