[1.12.x] Netherdyne Mass Driver Mod

On 3/30/2022 at 4:41 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Which tubes?

Apologies for intruding but I think they're referring to the "rings" (Ring1,Ring5,Ring8,Ring12). I too wondered what they were for but didn't know which mod they came from in my pack so I didn't chase the issue and I didn't want to test them since they looked unfinished. I saw mentions of them being the new models for the mass drivers but also that they wouldn't be available on initial release so I didn't connect the dots that these are probably them until a few minutes ago. So I guess my question is, are the rings safe to use from a development standpoint? I could make use of the tubey bois but don't want to break my game in the process. 

@Bitgedon can confirm the rings are safe to use in ksp 1.12.2 with something like 100+ mods.

pics or it didn't happen: 

Screenshot-2022-03-26-at-1-39-25-PM.png

Screenshot-2022-03-26-at-1-41-20-PM.png

Screenshot-2022-03-26-at-2-59-28-PM.png

Screenshot-2022-03-26-at-2-59-33-PM.png

Screenshot-2022-03-26-at-3-28-57-PM.png

Screenshot-2022-03-26-at-3-29-20-PM.png

this is a huge network of 'ring 12's launching an fusion/whiplash propelled ssto (who needs runways anyway)

Edited by Space Kerbalisation Tech

On 4/5/2022 at 11:18 PM, Bitgedon said:

Apologies for intruding but I think they're referring to the "rings" (Ring1,Ring5,Ring8,Ring12). I too wondered what they were for but didn't know which mod they came from in my pack so I didn't chase the issue and I didn't want to test them since they looked unfinished. I saw mentions of them being the new models for the mass drivers but also that they wouldn't be available on initial release so I didn't connect the dots that these are probably them until a few minutes ago. So I guess my question is, are the rings safe to use from a development standpoint? I could make use of the tubey bois but don't want to break my game in the process. 

Yes, I’m sorry for the delayed response.  I was away from my computer for about a week and wanted to experiment a bit before responding. I was indeed referring to the various ring “tubes”.  I now have had an evening to explore the rings and some development. They are fantastic and a great polish for this mod. From what I can tell, they combine all the aspects and ancillary parts needed for the original drivers into one neat package. No longer do you need to add on a decoupler, power supply (for simple applications), and probe core. Also, they have the ability to reduce your countdown time. Therefore, you can switch over to your projectile craft but not need to wait the full 10 seconds. It sounds minor but definitely speeds up development and testing of your craft.  I’m easily sending 10+ tons into space by stacking about a dozen of these. However, I’m only able to fire my craft vertically. I see that @Space Kerbalisation Tech was launching on an angle and would love to know how you pulled that off. My craft rattles around in the tubes and destroys itself or the assembly within a few segments.  I can also confirm that I’m safely using them with a 40+ mod install.

@bmcmahonwrx there are many ways to launch it on an angle.

1 (requires mods), use high impact tolerance 5m parts. As the (inside) diameter of the ring is also close to 5m, it minimises rattling. If you are using the stock 5m Saturn V first stage tank, it (probably, untested) dosen't work because it's impact tolerance is only 10m/s and if it contacts the outer layer of the ring it will blow up)

2 (this is what i did), use the mk3 spaceplane parts along with offseted retractable landing gear. The mk3 spaceplane parts have the highest impact tolerance in stock ksp, ad by putting landing gear around the hull in 3x or higher symmetry on the top and bottom, the wheels are able to stabilise and guide your craft so it can smoothly be launched from the rings. (note: retract the landing gear immediately after your spacecraft leaves the ring as additional drag is not good when you are accelerating at high g)

3 (requires the debug toolbar), turn on unbreakable parts, no crash damage and ignore max temp (last one is optional, only needed if you are launching things really fast) from the cheat menu and you can launch anything you like.

13 hours ago, bmcmahonwrx said:

Also, they have the ability to reduce your countdown time. Therefore, you can switch over to your projectile craft but not need to wait the full 10 seconds. It sounds minor but definitely speeds up development and testing of your craft.

after you open the mass driver network GUI and decouple your spacecraft , you can actually switch to your spacecraft using the square bracket "[  ]" keys and the GUI will still be present and working. This way, you can press launch focused (switched to) the craft you are about to launched.

hope this helps!

@Don0303 which of the mass driver parts are you using? If you are using the tubes, there is an arrow on the side showing the launch direction. note that all the mass drivers can only launch in one direction, so remember to place them in the right direction. (same goes for the original netherdyne parts)

4 hours ago, Space Kerbalisation Tech said:

@Don0303 which of the mass driver parts are you using? If you are using the tubes, there is an arrow on the side showing the launch direction. note that all the mass drivers can only launch in one direction, so remember to place them in the right direction. (same goes for the original netherdyne parts)

im using the tubes, my craft is accelerating away from where the arrow is pointing

8 hours ago, Don0303 said:

arrow to show the direction the craft moves

So you are launching horizontal, not vertical?

Try tilting it up slightly, so the left is slightly higher than the right.

Also, get me a copy of the craft file, I'll try it out when I get some time 

I would like to add something I discovered, may already be common knowledge. When assembling large mass drivers with many ring units, such as ones that exceed the height of the VAB, I’ve noticed it’s critical for the root part to be your bottom unit. If you root is later up the sequence the craft is likely to RUD before exiting the assembly. I can’t tell if it happens when encounters the root  part or not because of how quickly it happens. So if you getting unexpected disassemblies, make sure your craft root part is the first ring in your mass driver. 

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So you are launching horizontal, not vertical?

Try tilting it up slightly, so the left is slightly higher than the right.

Also, get me a copy of the craft file, I'll try it out when I get some time 

oh ive been using it in orbit, but have run into the issue on the ground when its angled too
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucpbmgdtb1mejmx/mobile hunter container mass driver.craft?dl=0

I just wanted to add that I have been playing around with this for a few weeks and all of the sudden my craft(s) has started firing backwards as well. I can’t seem to figure out what I changed that is causing it. I have a separate craft that is still working as expected. So, I have a point of reference to work from. I will share my findings if I’m able to figure out what has caused most of my crafts to start firing backwards. I suspect it’s either related to my payload design, where it’s actually positioned with respect to the attachment node, or the clamping system I’m using to keep it from sliding out the back. Nevertheless, this is arguably one of my favorite mods to toy around with. There’s just tremendous entertainment value in firing a 100 ton craft, encased in a fairing out the end of a tube at >2,000 m/s at the expenditure of only electricity. My continued appreciation towards @linuxgurugamer for the work involved with resuscitating and polishing this mod. Now if there was only a way to “magnetically” constrain the craft to stay centered and avoid wall contact during launching ...

• 4 weeks later...

@linuxgurugamer

I have the same problem that @Don0303, in my case that part worked as intended from orbit but then it started shooting backwards and now, not only that part but all of the mass drivers shoot down an forward from orbit (Prograde direction an to the planet/moon being orbited), which causes the vessel to collide with the mass driver but in some cases, if the vessel is small and further enough, it shoots nearly straight down.

Another thing, can you add a PAW to the "fire" action bypassing completely the "arm" action? What I was thinking is using a part as nexus between the vessel being launched and the mass driver, and detonating it with Kaboom mod at the same time the mass driver fires through an action group I could launch any vessel at an angle without hitting the mass driver and without requiring ramps or anything like that. NVM tested and you could do the exact same with Time Control mod (Freeze time, detonate nexus, select Mass Driver, Arm, Fire, un-freeze time)

EDIT: This is the error that appears in the log when I try to fire my mobile launcher on the surface

Spoiler

[EXC 20:25:13.568] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    NeatherdyneMassDriver.ModuleMassAccelerator.Start () (at <1c0677bbff0c4f54bbc58018bb0eef36>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

EDIT2: It seems that launch clamps fixes the problem with launches on the surface (90º, 45º, 1º, 0º launches all successful), but I had no luck with launches from orbit

Edited by Guest

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...