Realistic solarsystem in KSP 2?

hello everybody,

I've been playing KSP for almost 1000 hours and been experimenting with a lot of mods but the mod I liked the most by far was the "real solarsystem" mod. It made the game much harder, I even never reached Pluto manned but it was such fun. The drawback is that you had to use other mods with more powerful engines, or rebalanced the existing parts.... And that got me thinking. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a option to use a "real solarsystem" from the start? No mods,  just implemented in the base game. I doubt this will happen, that the game will probably offer the same "small" solarsystem from the first KSP. Has anybody heard some details about this?

The kerbolar system it's confirmed to be the same with just a face-lifting and that's IMOH a god thing.

Once you rebalance everything to the new solar system size the only thing you're left with it's a 10 minute longer ascent to orbit and higher time-warp multipliers. 

The most immediate consequence of this would be a game that's more boring.

I like the idea of a stock 'true scale' version of our solar system but, having tried a 'half scale' version briefly I do agree with this...

2 hours ago, Master39 said:

Once you rebalance everything to the new solar system size the only thing you're left with it's a 10 minute longer ascent to orbit and higher time-warp multipliers. 

I expect a mod (RSS2 ?) will appear at some point, but It could work as an official DLC/alternate version.

6 hours ago, Wouter1981 said:

The drawback is that you had to use other mods with more powerful engines, or rebalanced the existing parts....

The problem there is that you probably didn't install any of the mods that you're supposed to include. You can get anywhere using the mods that are supposed to be used with RSS.

6 hours ago, Wouter1981 said:

hello everybody,

I've been playing KSP for almost 1000 hours and been experimenting with a lot of mods but the mod I liked the most by far was the "real solarsystem" mod. It made the game much harder, I even never reached Pluto manned but it was such fun. The drawback is that you had to use other mods with more powerful engines, or rebalanced the existing parts.... And that got me thinking. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a option to use a "real solarsystem" from the start? No mods,  just implemented in the base game. I doubt this will happen, that the game will probably offer the same "small" solarsystem from the first KSP. Has anybody heard some details about this?

It is called "KERBAL" space program, not "EARTH" space program. If you did that, then kerbals wouldn't exist, and it would be humans, and that's not as fun as a green alien that is small, and hilarious.

36 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

The problem there is that you probably didn't install any of the mods that you're supposed to include. You can get anywhere using the mods that are supposed to be used with RSS.

Even with those mods, there is still a struggle to get anywhere, especcially manned missions, the farthest I've ever gotten with a manned mission is the Moon, and Ive been playing RSS for a long time.

6 hours ago, Master39 said:

The kerbolar system it's confirmed to be the same with just a face-lifting and that's IMOH a god thing.

What he said.

This topic has been discussed a few times already.

I would be happy to have the Sol system in KSP2, but as an easter egg. You can go visit it, but you can't start from it.

Nope. Kerbin et al are going nowhere, the stock planets at stock scale and stock positions are confirmed in KSP2. This was pointed out every other time someone suggested using the Sol system in KSP2, it isn’t happening so either stick with KSP or wait for the mod for KSP2. It’s called KERBAL Space Program after all!

The drop out curve in KSP is fierce just trying to launch into Kerbin orbit, never mind landing on the Mun; scaling that up to real life scale would be drastically worse.

I'd be hope a familiar solar system was one of the reachable neighbour systems. Maybe it might require a couple of colonies in a hop-off neighbour system to make it a full Easter egg.

22 hours ago, Master39 said:

Exactly. I love realism in games, often over entertainment, but I abandoned real solar system after first Moon trip because maneuvers were too long. Ascent took 10 minutes and was guessing how to steer rocket. In KSP you can fly however you want and get to orbit, but real ascent is more complicated and depends on TWR of stages. Typically first stage or solid boosters have high TWR and they throw ship to high arc. Upper stage has much lower TWR than typical KSP rockets (about 0.5) and need time to accelerate to orbital speed before falling down. For example Mechjeb's ascent autopilot can not handle it properly.

I would like very much real solar system if there were proper tools to plan and execute maneuvers with high enough time acceleration. But without proper tools it is too tedious.

There is also problems with limited accuracy of doubles (internal floating point numbers). If you model Solar system up to Pluto resolution of place is on the order of millimeters. It is significant problem for example if you try to dock with very slow speed. There is ways to overcome it by math (which is certainly used in KSP if it still uses 32 bit float numbers) but it takes time to program and time to execute code and add possibility of errors.

On 6/17/2020 at 1:39 PM, Wouter1981 said:

hello everybody,

It has been confirmed, that Kerbol system will stay as it is in the original game. Although, if you are looking for larger scale systems, don't get upset right away - devs have been asked this question already and they answered with "well we have interstellar travel who knows what you'll find there" tease, so larger systems most likely are in the game, you'll just have to find them.

And if modders found their way to make RSS in the original KSP, they will certainly be capable of doing so in KSP 2, that was designed to be much more accessible for modding in the first place, so there is that.

Edited by Acid_Burn9

Nah. As you noted, this is a big effort to balance for a nice mix of realism and playability, and also different players will have different preferences on where that balance ought to be. RSS/RO is an absolutely perfect job for a mod, if KSP2 is as moddable as they say it is, I've no doubt there will be one for it too.

I hope they make it possible to model solar system properly by allowing axial tilting of bodies. It would be interesting mod also in stock size solar system to add more inclination and give axial tilts for planets. I usually triple Outer Planet mod's inclinations to get more interesting trajectories.

9 hours ago, harrisjosh2711 said:

I wish. The orbital velocity of kerbin is pathetic if you enjoy planes. An X-15 rocket plane is almost a space plane on kerbin. On earth, it can just barely reach space.

Colonization, there will be somewhere a "super Kerbin" with an oxygenated atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Master39 said:

Colonization, there will be somewhere a "super Kerbin" with an oxygenated atmosphere.

They could have a series of different sized Kerbins dotted in an arc around the galactic core. 2x to 10x with corresponding scale versions of the new systems as well.

8 hours ago, mattinoz said:

They could have a series of different sized Kerbins dotted in an arc around the galactic core. 2x to 10x with corresponding scale versions of the new systems as well.

And with self sufficient colonies you can build your KSC everywhere.

Nate already mentioned a "paradise for spaceplanes" in an interview.

6 minutes ago, Master39 said:

And with self sufficient colonies you can build your KSC everywhere.

Nate already mentioned a "paradise for spaceplanes" in an interview.

"Paradise for spaceplanes" doesn't actually mean that it's a large planet with a thick atmosphere; because if you had a planet with low gravity but that somehow held onto a dense atmosphere it would be a aviator's dream all the same. Think Titan of our Solar System's Saturn; it has slightly less gravity than Earth's moon but a surface pressure of 1.45atm and that's 98% nitrogen!

The amount of lift you can generate in such an environment is extraordinary, and the lift needed to overcome the light gravity is hardly anything. But that's a minor consolation considering the entire moon is essentially a cryogenic fractional separation facility and lies at the triple point of methane.....but if you had methalox engines it would be one of the most lucrative bastions in the outer solar system to launch and fuel all manner of wacky contraptions.

Though; what would be cool is a binary system. A large super-earth/kerbin with a duna sized "Moon" with a thick oxygenated atmosphere circling above, that would get you the best of both worlds (No pun intended) and would be as close to aircraft/spaceplane nirvana as i could imagine.

18 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

"Paradise for spaceplanes" doesn't actually mean that it's a large planet with a thick atmosphere; because if you had a planet with low gravity but that somehow held onto a dense atmosphere it would be a aviator's dream all the same. Think Titan of our Solar System's Saturn; it has slightly less gravity than Earth's moon but a surface pressure of 1.45atm and that's 98% nitrogen!

The amount of lift you can generate in such an environment is extraordinary, and the lift needed to overcome the light gravity is hardly anything. But that's a minor consolation considering the entire moon is essentially a cryogenic fractional separation facility and lies at the triple point of methane.....but if you had methalox engines it would be one of the most lucrative bastions in the outer solar system to launch and fuel all manner of wacky contraptions.

Though; what would be cool is a binary system. A large super-earth/kerbin with a duna sized "Moon" with a thick oxygenated atmosphere circling above, that would get you the best of both worlds (No pun intended) and would be as close to aircraft/spaceplane nirvana as i could imagine.

I doubt they will keep an entire branch of engines working only on Kerbin and Laythe, and we already have a "smaller Kerbin" in Laythe, the most natural thing for a third option for spaceplanes is a thicker atmosphere on a bigger planet, especially if you want to give the player some more room to play with hyper-sonic spaceplanes.

3 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I doubt they will keep an entire branch of engines working only on Kerbin and Laythe, and we already have a "smaller Kerbin" in Laythe, the most natural thing for a third option for spaceplanes is a thicker atmosphere on a bigger planet, especially if you want to give the player some more room to play with hyper-sonic spaceplanes.

Oh I'm aware; i just wanted to point out that there's interesting options going smaller as well. But personally i do think the idea of a Super-Earth Kerbin is nice, so i'm partial to it.

Mine is something i'd mod in if i decided i wanted to spend the time on it.

Id propose the idea of having Sol exist in the KSP universe, but id propose this idea: that if it is reachable, it be at the same scale as kerbin and be in an epoch prior to humanity, or if thats beyond scope, then have it be in universe as prior but be viewable with space telescopes for science! Just my .02.