Jump to content

Kerbal Space Program 2: Episode 1.5 - Work From Home Developer Update


Recommended Posts

On 6/25/2020 at 3:58 PM, Bombaatu said:

I suspect the icon under the Symmetry one is Angle Snap.

 

On 6/25/2020 at 8:40 PM, pss88 said:

My interpretation of icons on the left:

  Hide contents

R3vi2xB.png

 

On 6/26/2020 at 12:35 AM, Acid_Burn9 said:

The thing under symmetry multiplier is obviously switch between radial and mirrored symmetry modes. It is currently set to radial as you can see by the 4 parts round the center being radially symmetrical.

 

On 6/27/2020 at 1:51 PM, mcwaffles2003 said:

About the main core stage editing, side attatchment editing, ???, and  ???

I believe these are the new placement, translation, rotation, and root per sub-assembly icons

 

Those are all good points actually. I think you guys are right on that.

I just now realized one thing about the farms we saw there. Because I don't think we're gonna get too much of a life support. I believe these things are only needed for the colony to thrive - actually build ships, reproduce, process resources etc. The colony could exist without source of food, but it would do nothing. Which isn't really a colony, just a permanent base.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

I just now realized one thing about the farms we saw there. Because I don't think we're gonna get too much of a life support. I believe these things are only needed for the colony to thrive - actually build ships, reproduce, process resources etc. The colony could exist without source of food, but it would do nothing. Which isn't really a colony, just a permanent base.

Yeah. Maybe there's no life support per se, but having a sustainable source of food is one of the requirements for Kerbal civilians to want to live in your colony.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 11:39 AM, The Aziz said:

 

  Hide contents

aiTHMdo.png

 

 

It looks like the crane picks up resource chunks (scatter) that you gather from the planet (either where you landed or with a rover/transport) and drops them into those barn shaped things via their hinged opening top for crushing/conversion into a usable format. Looks like the crane is on a circular track around a control room, with the ability to drop the resource into different converters. I'm guessing this confirms that we are getting a more complex resource harvesting than just: LAND>EXTEND DRILL>PROFIT. Gathering chunks from difficult to reach areas could make for some neat design challenges and a reason to do surface/hover exploration and research.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2020 at 7:23 AM, TLTay said:

It looks like the crane picks up resource chunks (scatter) that you gather from the planet (either where you landed or with a rover/transport) and drops them into those barn shaped things via their hinged opening top for crushing/conversion into a usable format. Looks like the crane is on a circular track around a control room, with the ability to drop the resource into different converters. I'm guessing this confirms that we are getting a more complex resource harvesting than just: LAND>EXTEND DRILL>PROFIT. Gathering chunks from difficult to reach areas could make for some neat design challenges and a reason to do surface/hover exploration and research.

I think that you are engaging in wild speculation

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 8:19 AM, Master39 said:

I think it's intentional, probably it originally had only the "ore" placeholder requirement and they decided to add another, intentionally ridicolous, resource to tell us that there will be multiple resources and the placeholder nature of the written numbers.

Trying to get caught up on everything after 9 months away from the game, but I saw this and had a thought...

What if it's NOT a placeholder or them just being silly and we're just not seeing the connection?

Q: What is Uranium primarily used for?

A: Power generation.

Think of it this way; every part has a resource cost, but not all resources are materials that go into the product. Creating steel requires carbon, iron, and a crank-ton of energy. If instead of measuring electricity in KJ or watt-hours though, it can be expressed a different way... such as tons of coal, acres of solar panels, therms of natural gas...

...or kg of Uranium. :D

Since the power density of Uranium is pretty constant, it makes a good standard when you want to measure a large amount of energy. Sure, you could use more traditional values, (KJ, w-h, etc.) but KSP 2 appears to be going for a "totally unique viewpoint" kind of esthetic. Look no further than the part description for the nosecone in question... the one they call a "big hat"... then making references to "obsolete engineering manuals" referring to it by an another name? Plus the overall "look and feel" of KSP 2 is very different than KSP 1, which held a lot of inspiration from our own various national space efforts. (Staypunik = Sputnik; Mk3 parts = Space Shuttle; Mk2 parts = X-15, etc.) By comparison, the stuff we're seeing in the early release photos and videos are very different and don't hold much inspiration from human space equipment. (the rockets in the editor previews for example look very unique in style and not reflective of any real designs)

Just a few thoughts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, RobertaME said:

Trying to get caught up on everything after 9 months away from the game, but I saw this and had a thought...

What if it's NOT a placeholder or them just being silly and we're just not seeing the connection?

Q: What is Uranium primarily used for?

A: Power generation.

Think of it this way; every part has a resource cost, but not all resources are materials that go into the product. Creating steel requires carbon, iron, and a crank-ton of energy. If instead of measuring electricity in KJ or watt-hours though, it can be expressed a different way... such as tons of coal, acres of solar panels, therms of natural gas...

...or kg of Uranium. :D

Since the power density of Uranium is pretty constant, it makes a good standard when you want to measure a large amount of energy. Sure, you could use more traditional values, (KJ, w-h, etc.) but KSP 2 appears to be going for a "totally unique viewpoint" kind of esthetic. Look no further than the part description for the nosecone in question... the one they call a "big hat"... then making references to "obsolete engineering manuals" referring to it by an another name? Plus the overall "look and feel" of KSP 2 is very different than KSP 1, which held a lot of inspiration from our own various national space efforts. (Staypunik = Sputnik; Mk3 parts = Space Shuttle; Mk2 parts = X-15, etc.) By comparison, the stuff we're seeing in the early release photos and videos are very different and don't hold much inspiration from human space equipment. (the rockets in the editor previews for example look very unique in style and not reflective of any real designs)

Just a few thoughts.

I think it is a placeholder, because the mass numbers are "1.11" and "11.1", which clearly indicate placeholder numbers, at least, but it may be a coincidence though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/12/2020 at 8:17 AM, Chakkoty said:

I choose to believe that the symbol above Aerodynamics stands for life support.

 

On 6/28/2020 at 12:53 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

Yeah. Maybe there's no life support per se, but having a sustainable source of food is one of the requirements for Kerbal civilians to want to live in your colony.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:44 AM, The Aziz said:

I just now realized one thing about the farms we saw there. Because I don't think we're gonna get too much of a life support. I believe these things are only needed for the colony to thrive - actually build ships, reproduce, process resources etc. The colony could exist without source of food, but it would do nothing. Which isn't really a colony, just a permanent base.

Personally I am really hoping for a life support feature to be added to the game. KSP 1 doesn't have LS and it makes the game less fun imho. You can just put three kerbals in a seat and send then to Eeloo and that's not how it is IRL. I get that KSP is a video game but I feel that LS should a difficulty option at the very least.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 8:10 AM, Master39 said:

 

b0k5aJP.png

Shown at 4:28 for a few frames

 

 

 

Look at this. I’m assuming that we can adjust the size of parts. There is a thing called Type: Default I’m assuming this indicates that we can make it to a fitting of other sized parts. Either custom or the choice the game gives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 5:03 PM, Dr. Kerbal said:

Look at this. I’m assuming that we can adjust the size of parts. There is a thing called Type: Default I’m assuming this indicates that we can make it to a fitting of other sized parts. Either custom or the choice the game gives.

It also looks like we need to build the parts, maybe when you have a colony you need to have done some mining before building your rockets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kerminator1000 said:

It also looks like we need to build the parts, maybe when you have a colony you need to have done some mining before building your rockets.

They* already confirmed that resource collection will be a big part of the game and that screenshot is just another confirmation.

*Obviously by "they" I always mean "Nate Simpson"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2020 at 7:00 PM, Kerminator1000 said:

Personally I am really hoping for a life support feature to be added to the game. KSP 1 doesn't have LS and it makes the game less fun imho. You can just put three kerbals in a seat and send then to Eeloo and that's not how it is IRL. I get that KSP is a video game but I feel that LS should a difficulty option at the very least.

 

Agree but from the image it looks like cargo. You will send cargo to build up colonies, sees some ships carrying that i would describe as cargo containers. 
hope you can also make an items like an rover or probe into an cargo box you can then open then you use it. That would reduce part count a lot. 
Box and rocket in image above center of lift :) 

Now cargo could be life support resources but life support is much more and that is the interesting part about it. Assume co2 scrubbers are standard. 
Next level is water filtration as done on IIS. Next is generating oxygen, This is easiest done if you have stuff like ice to, harder to have something else for the carbon to bind too. 
Final level is food who is mostly realistic for colonies. 
J3wz0Vd.png

Now the icon below center of mass is extremely interesting. Pretty sure it has something to do with radiation. Don't think it only affect orion engines but all sort of nuclear even the LV-N. 
No more making an lander with two LV-N on the sides of an hitchhiker module, fuel tank on top and some landing legs and go. 

Now I did not see this coming and assume few other did. Now having to think about radiation but not life support would be a bit weird. 
But this let you easier differentiate between spaceships and landers, kind of forcing the hard scifi boom design over the stuff LV-N on the side of an hitchhiker. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the part categories are, respectively:

Favourites

Pods

Fuel Tanks

Engines

Structural

Coupling

Payload and Kontainers

Aerodynamics

Utility

Thermal

Electrical

Communication

Science

Resource Management

 

The one under the line is probably Subassemblies

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...