[1.12.x] Waterfall - a framework for continuous, mesh-driven engine effects (Aug 2)

Nertea

17 hours ago, JacobPF9 said:

How do I permanently resize plumes for an engine? I have resized the CryEngine's mod's raptor to be true to life but I don't know how to resize the plumes.

Before loading the game go to the Waterfall folder and open “WaterfallSettings.cfg”

Find the line “ShowEffectsEditor” and change it to True. 

Load the game and spawn a craft containing your resized engine on the launch pad, preferably with the engine facing up so you can see the plume. 

Now you’ll see the editor button on the right hand toolbar. When you click it you’ll see a window pop up and the Size and Position values are all located in a box towards the upper right. Fiddle with them until the plume looks correct. (You’ll probably need to do this with both the “Core” effect and the “Plume” effect - you switch by selecting the 0 or 1 buttons). 

Now you have to save those values by manually entering them in the .cfg for the Raptor’s plume. That .cfg is located I believe in CryoEngines in the folder titled “Patches”

If you need more info there is a full writeup HERE.

15 hours ago, somanymods said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't find 'EngineID' anywhere in the engine config. Where is it?

Should I just use the engine name?

EngineID is sometimes located under ModuleEnginesFX but some engines don’t have it.

Unless there is a mod or patch somewhere else that is using “engineID” to do something to the engine in question (?none that I am aware of?) then you should always just use “basicEngine” for the engineID when writing Waterfall configs.

hello, my knes and bdb plumes don't work anymore (except rcs for bdb), while they worked well before, and they work with tundra
I updated both mods and still it doesn't work
any suggestion ?

thanks

11 hours ago, BobobXP said:

hello, my knes and bdb plumes don't work anymore (except rcs for bdb), while they worked well before, and they work with tundra
I updated both mods and still it doesn't work
any suggestion ?

thanks

Can't do much without appropriate debug information

10 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

@Nertea congrats on TOTM!

This caused me a ton of confusion when looking for the thread today.

On 5/27/2021 at 3:36 PM, Araym said:

Slight interaction issue between the latest Scatterer (v.0.770) and (i think) Waterfall shaders:

uJ7tBSK.png

ny3nogi.png

1ig6bZM.png

I was testing my latest released modified "IXS warsphip for Blueshift", that alike the parent mod "Blueshift" by @Angel-125 make heavily use of Waterfall to create the warp distorsion, and once added scatterer (just to testing purpose), I got these weird effects, when the "warp field" is not active.

Basically it seems that the models used for "shape" the effects are not really "transparent" to Scatterer's graphic effects.

ciD7u7V.png
Very evident in this image how, basically, it reverts all the lightning and surface modification to stock situation: the sea back to its standard stock dullness, compared to the different one visible "outside" the bubble.

nHL6I2h.png

Also visible (from "inside" the bubble created using Waterfll) how all the sky effects are basically deleted, and, if paying attention, how also are noticeable the shapes (from the ship) that supports the "warping plumes" when they are active.

This also happens in space, for any Scatterer related effects:
A very zoomed out view (in which are very noriceable the Sun light halo and lens flares)...

WCXhZRJ.png

... became very "dull" from the "inside" of the bubble itself.

A0QpNNc.png

(This issue is also been communicated to Scattererl author, not sure about who has the better chances to resolve it)

I'll follow up with angel, but are you seeing any other similar artifacts with actual WF plumes?

13 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Log, modlist, and module manager cache probably

ok thanks, so the log (yeah it is very... fat...) : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cjktMq_yWPDB98eGzUJ8KyZ0AXpbY2RS/view?usp=sharing

modlist :

Spoiler

000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_TexturesUnlimited
001_ToolbarControl
Alcentar_Add-ons
AllYAll
AnimatedAttachment
AnimatedDecouplers
Astrogator
AuroraSpaceCenter
AviationLights
B9PartSwitch
BDArmory
Benjee10_sharedAssets
Benjee10_shuttleOrbiter
BetterBurnTime
Bluedog_DB
Bluedog_DB_Extras
BoosterGuidance
CameraTools
Coatl Aerospace
CollisionFXReUpdated
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
ConformalDecals
CraftManager
CST-100 Starliner
CustomPreLaunchChecks
DeadlyReentry
DECQ_ENERGIA
DeployableEngines
DiscordRP
DistantObject
DMagicScienceAnimate
DockRotate
EditorExtensionsRedux
EngineLightRelit
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
FirespitterExtended
Flags
FMRS
FShangarExtender
HabTech2
HabTechProps
htRobotics
HullCameraVDS
JanitorsCloset
Kartoffelkuchen
KerbalEngineer
KerbalFoundries
KerbalJointReinforcement
KerbalKonstructs
KerbalReusabilityExpansion
Kerbaltek
KertemisProgram
KIS
KK-KSRSS
Knes
Kopernicus
kOS
KronalVesselViewer
KSCSwitcher
KSPWheel
KSRSS
KSRSS-Textures
KSRSSVE
KXAPI
Launchers Pack
MagicSmokeIndustries
MAH
MandatoryRCS
MechJeb2
ModList
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModularLaunchPads
NavyFish
OfCourseIStillLoveYou
OSSNTR
PersistentRotation
PhysicsRangeExtender
PlanetShine
PlumeParty
PoodsSkyboxes
QuickMods
QuickSilver-main
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
reDIRECT
ReentryParticleEffectRenewed
REPOSoftTech
ReStock
ReStockPlus
SCANsat
scatterer
Science818
Shabby
SimpleAdjustableFairings
SlingShotter
SmokeScreen
SoundtrackEditorForked
SpaceTuxLibrary
Stock folder: Squad

Stock folder: SquadExpansion

SSTU
TacSelfDestruct
Tantares
TantaresLV
TantaresRecolors
TextureReplacer
ThunderAerospace
TINU
TooManyOrbits
TrackingStationEvolved
Trajectories
TriggerTech
TUFX
TundraExploration
TundraSpaceCenter
VesselMover
WarpEverywhere
Waterfall
KK_SpX_rescale.cfg
KSPUpgradeScriptFix.dll
ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
S8_Tower_rescale.cfg

and the mm cache, i guess it's ModuleManager.ConfigCache ? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jHjMC8EjFlR019gMAv4Te_5Wy2ldnB51/view?usp=sharing

thanks !

or the mm cache is in KSP/Logs/MM ?

Edited by BobobXP

It looks like something (a broken template?) is breaking template loading for the entire mod. I'd suggest removing some mods to see what is causing this, unfortunately I can't tell from log which template it is. 

6 minutes ago, Nertea said:

It looks like something (a broken template?) is breaking template loading for the entire mod. I'd suggest removing some mods to see what is causing this, unfortunately I can't tell from log which template it is. 

thanks anyway :(

On 5/31/2021 at 11:35 AM, lemon cup said:

Before loading the game go to the Waterfall folder and open “WaterfallSettings.cfg”

Find the line “ShowEffectsEditor” and change it to True. 

Load the game and spawn a craft containing your resized engine on the launch pad, preferably with the engine facing up so you can see the plume. 

Now you’ll see the editor button on the right hand toolbar. When you click it you’ll see a window pop up and the Size and Position values are all located in a box towards the upper right. Fiddle with them until the plume looks correct. (You’ll probably need to do this with both the “Core” effect and the “Plume” effect - you switch by selecting the 0 or 1 buttons). 

Now you have to save those values by manually entering them in the .cfg for the Raptor’s plume. That .cfg is located I believe in CryoEngines in the folder titled “Patches”

If you need more info there is a full writeup HERE.

Wonderful thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Released Waterfall 0.6.4

• Added a ThrustController controller which keys off engine normalized thrust
  • Added a more verbose exception when failing to load a template
  • Disabled SMR rebuilding as it wasn't doing much and was negatively impacting performance

Waterfall 0.6.5

• Resolved an issue that would cause waterfall data items (templates, etc) to be unpatchable with Module Manager (thanks al2me6!)

Also WaterfallRestock 0.2.2

• Fixed duplicated plume on Puff
  • Updated pass specification of all patches
  • Set up for compatibility with StockWaterfallEffects * Fixed Ursa plume position
  • Fixed Poodle plume (need Restock 1.3.2+)
Edited by Nertea

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

Waterfall 0.6.5

• Resolved an issue that would cause waterfall data items (templates, etc) to be unpatchable with Module Manager (thanks al2me6!)

Also WaterfallRestock 0.2.2

• Fixed duplicated plume on Puff
  • Updated pass specification of all patches
  • Set up for compatibility with StockWaterfallEffects * Fixed Ursa plume position
  • Fixed Poodle plume (need Restock 1.3.2+)

Oh niiiiice, I'm assuming that's the single-bell Poodle's effects fixed?