Kerbal Name Analogs

Misguided Kerbal

So, recently, in my new sandbox save, I'm reaching a point where there are multiple "entities", and I'm playing all of them. So then, I got into the idea of different names for each "country", and I came up with these:

Kerman States - Kerman

(Analogous to US)

CCKP (Communist Confederation of Von Kerman Peoples) - Von Kerman

(Analogous to Soviet Union, Russian, Ukraine, etc.)

McKerman Kingdom - McKerman

(Analogous to UK)

KerbeX - Kerman

(Analogous to SpaceX and Blue Origin and all that good stuff, basically the private companies)

Currently, though, I've gotten to the point that the McKermans are building their own Space Station (As they've been excluded from the KISS mostly because of a lack of an extra Clamp-O-Tron Jr.) However, the 'French' Kerbals are also looking to start spaceflight and collab with the McKermans... but I can't think of a name. Help.

Spoiler

I did totally not steal half the name ideas from @Angel-125:wink:

Ones thought of by others:

Kermany - Kermann @kerbiloid

Karthage - Kerbaal @kerbiloid

CCKP - Kermanski @eatU4myT

Edited by Misguided_Kerbal

I like this, I hate it when people assume that Kerbals are one big family and are all related in some way, and that it's more of a cultural reason.

My idea is that Kerman is a title, like Sir Jebediah or whatever, and it means that in order to reach the title of "Kerman", one must do something that no-one in their family has done before, like fly in an airplane, or go to a certain place etc. The reason why all kerbals in the astronaut complex have the title is because they earned it by signing up to the space program.

1 minute ago, DunaManiac said:

I like this, I hate it when people assume that Kerbals are one big family and are all related in some way, and that it's more of a cultural reason.

My idea is that Kerman is a title, like Sir Jebediah or whatever, and it means that in order to reach the title of "Kerman", one must do something that no-one in their family has done before, like fly in an airplane, or go to a certain place etc. The reason why all kerbals in the astronaut complex have the title is because they earned it by signing up to the space program.

Hmm.... interesting idea. In my head, I just think that all kerbals are referred by their first name, the surname indicates where that kerbal is from and connot be changed, an example is Von Kermans come from the CCKP, etc. But I like your idea!

The nobles (in Kerbal language - BadS ) wear the orange.
Jeb, Bill, Bob, Val - titles or honorific names, that's why they reappear.

So, actually, Squad should add an autoincrement number, like irl. Say, Bill Kerman XVII.

See Last Castle by Jack Vance for details.

Edited by kerbiloid

2 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

The nobles (in Kerbal language - BadS ) wear the orange.
Jeb, Bill, Bob, Val - titles or honorific names, that's why they reappear.

So, actually, Squad should add an autoincrement number, like irl. Say, Bill Kerman XVII.

See Last Castle by Jack Vance for details.

"Jebediah Kerman LXI"

As happens to be the case,  all of them sharing the Kerman surname, is really MY fault...

This was waaaaaayy back when, I think sometime in 2001-ish or even earlier than that,  me and my brother were playing with model rockets and I made a little tin foil man.

I called it a "Kerbo"* Though mostly it was a random-ish combination of alien sounding syllables. 

This poor chap was the very first Kerbal, though I don't think he ever knew that in the few moments he existed before his very much unavoidable totally not more-than-half on purpose Grizzly explosion-bound fate....

After this first guy bought his proverbial farm, we started making more of them, and by then "Kerbo" had become the name of their species for some reason.  It was then that I figured it would be hilarious if they all inexplicably had the same last name "Kerman" - I still think it's funny, lolz

* may possibly have been so half by subconscious association with one "Kerb", who developed a Flash game called MicroLife, where little microbes have to build a ship on the last level     Though my memory fails me, and one thing might have been after the other in no particular order, so this may or not have been how it actually happened, I'd say 50/50...

Some 15 years later, my brother moved to Mexico and somehow talked his boss into giving him a chance at making this game we both had thought of... 

Which ends with us being here, and all that goes with that.

So yeah, the last name "Kerman" is just a cultural thing.  It does not mean to imply close family relations (or the lack thereof) between them.   

They all just have that last name, regardless of parentage. Why? Well say, Why not?  

I always thought whenever two Kerbals get the same first name, they'd deal with the confusion by simply, being confused.  What else is there to do?  :rolleyes:

Edited by Moach

5 minutes ago, Moach said:

As happens to be the case,  all of them sharing the Kerman surname, is really MY fault...

Wait what!?

5 minutes ago, Moach said:

Some 15 years later, my brother moved to Mexico and somehow talked his boss into giving him a chance at making this game we both had thought of... 

Which ends with us being here, and all that goes with that.

Yes... the familiar story...

Y'know, what if all kerbals were actually called Kerbo...

6 minutes ago, Moach said:

So yeah, the last name "Kerman" is just a cultural thing.  It does not mean to imply close family relations (or the lack thereof) between them.   

They all just have that last name, regardless of parentage. Why? Well say, Why not?  

I always thought whenever two Kerbals get the same first name, they'd deal with the confusion by simply, being confused.  What else is there to do?  :rolleyes:

Hmm... they could pretend to be best friends... lol.

ok i have some kerbalized nations:

1. Kerbals Republiks of Khina (KRK) - Khinesse (analogous to CNSA and People's Republic of China,aka: China)
  2. Inkia - Hinkuism (analogous to ISRO and India)
  3. Jakan - Jakanesse (analogous to JAXA and Japan)
  4. Kisrael - Kebreian (analogous to SpaceIL and Israel)

arggghhh... i ran out of ideas...:(

also some of those names sounds... like... if captain obvious invented these names.... d'oh...

Edited by Kane Kerman

• 4 weeks later...

One or more of my own submissions. 

1.  Kerbentina (Kerbal equivalent of Argentina).

2.  Kerbaragua (Kerbal equivalent of Nicaragua)

3.  Mexibal (Kerbal equivalent of Mexico.  This could lead to US states getting the same treatment, such as New Mexibal)

I think that the only way Kerbals with the same name can be told apart is by using their middle names, or by picking really obscure (and sometimes ridiculous) names to make sure nobody else has the same name. That would certainly explain some of the ludicrous monikers I’ve seen: Billy-Bobrim, Erlemone, Thompvin, and my personal favourite, Derbal the Kerbal :D.

I’m a bit surprised nobody else has mentioned Kerea, the Korea-shaped peninsula east of the KSC. Trying to Kerbal-ify real countries is probably not the best way to do it though as just shoving K or Ker into their names won’t work in most cases.

Edited by jimmymcgoochie

2 hours ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

Trying to Kerbal-ify real countries is probably not the Kerbest way to do it though as just shoving K or Ker into their names won’t work in most cases.

Fixed that for you.

• 2 months later...

Wow, Communist Kerbals. XD

What about Kernada? (Analogue for Canada.)

*With a Canada as a country in the game, then the Canadian Space Agency flags and colored suits are available. Same with different Canadarm joints and arms all a different length. This could make it easier for docking on Space Stations or any other orbital object with a Clamp-o-tron or one of the CSA parts, the Canadarm Grips. These range from 1.25 meters and 2.75 meters.*

On 10/6/2020 at 4:06 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

I’m a bit surprised nobody else has mentioned Kerea, the Korea-shaped peninsula east of the KSC. Trying to Kerbal-ify real countries is probably not the best way to do it though as just shoving K or Ker into their names won’t work in most cases.

But, isn't that literally one of the loading messages? "Adding "K" To Every Word..."

I mean, like, yeah. Certain things just don't go well with it. But, if you want to Kerbal-fy a word, just adding a "k" at the beginning and maybe changing some letters, you'll end up with something eventually.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.