Should Crew Health Be A Part Of Simulations?

Spacescifi

Just curious... do you think KSP should have a crew health mod?

In other words...

1. They now need food and water to keep living.

2. Without proper or sufficieht radiation shielding they will eventually die from radiation poisoning.

Doing this would up the realism value of KSP.

And it is far from impossible to simulate.

Afterall manned spaceflight is what fascinates us... the robotic spaceflight a bit less.

What do you think,

Edited by Spacescifi

If you mean should this be stock, then yes I do. If you mean could it be made as a mod, then it already is - Kerbal Health, TAC-LS, USI Life Support, Snacks, Kerbalism, and probably others I don't know about all add aspects of this!

Edited by eatU4myT

There are a variety of life support mods out there, from the simple (Snacks!) to the more realistic (Realism Overhaul) with various others in between (Kerbalism, TAC-LS, USI-LS and more). I don't see any need too add a stock life support system when a) there are so many mod options already out there, b) any stock version would be too simple for some and too complicated for others, and c) it's just another layer of complexity to make things harder for beginners- of whom only a small percentage actually get to Kerbin orbit and an even smaller percentage get out to the Mun, much less to more far-flung destinations.

Much like 'liquid fuel', it's best to keep things simple which helps newer players and also doesn't get in the way of more elaborate systems introduced by mods.

8 minutes ago, bdole92 said:

Life support feels like the kind of thing that's best done by mods to me, but i think including a simplified version like Snacks into stock isn't a bad idea, it adds another level of mission planning that i, at least, find rewarding

You had me up until "...including a simplified version like Snacks into stock...".  I'm glad it's a mod so I can choose not to deal with it.  If they make it stock in KSP2, I hope they give us an options switch to turn it off.

I've been a fan of using life support for a while, but don't think it would be very beneficial being stock.  If it was added to the base game, what would it be?  Something simple like Snacks?  Then only the small percentage of people that want simplified life support will be happy.  People that don't want it won't be happy and people that prefer more realistic options won't like it either.  Leave it as is with mods.

1 hour ago, jimmymcgoochie said:

There are a variety of life support mods out there, from the simple (Snacks!) to the more realistic (Realism Overhaul) with various others in between (Kerbalism, TAC-LS, USI-LS and more). I don't see any need too add a stock life support system when a) there are so many mod options already out there, b) any stock version would be too simple for some and too complicated for others, and c) it's just another layer of complexity to make things harder for beginners- of whom only a small percentage actually get to Kerbin orbit and an even smaller percentage get out to the Mun, much less to more far-flung destinations.

Much like 'liquid fuel', it's best to keep things simple which helps newer players and also doesn't get in the way of more elaborate systems introduced by mods.

My idea is a bit more...elaborate.

Kerbals will poop. Kerbals can also grow fruits and veggies onboard. Then use poop made from eating that as rocket propellant for NTR or whatever else.

Even try martian grown veggies...although I think that also poses health risk.

I am also all for attaching asteroids to the hull and lasing them for virtually free RCS propellant, which is a lot more propellant than you would have otherwise, especially of you are running low from missions anyway.

Edited by Spacescifi

2 hours ago, Popestar said:

I'm glad it's a mod so I can choose not to deal with it.

Surely there'd be a way to alt-F12 it off or disable it in the tweakables like everything else.  KSP actually has a lot of features now which almost nobody sees for this reason...

Edited by Corona688

10 hours ago, Popestar said:

You had me up until "...including a simplified version like Snacks into stock...".  I'm glad it's a mod so I can choose not to deal with it.  If they make it stock in KSP2, I hope they give us an options switch to turn it off.

We've seen greenhouses in one of the videos, but I don't think it's going to be life support per se. More like a activity support. The colony refuses to work and reproduce if it's out of food.

im gonna go ahead and say thats a no for me. I do not use life support mods in KSP and I am frankly not looking forward to the variation on life support KSP2 is supposed <from what I can recall at least, please correct me if my memory has caused me to err> to have. If some how that is added, it truly needs to be an optional toggle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.