Fly Home, Aircraft Autopilot Background Simulation.

ColdJ

I have always liked the idea of having a launch craft that gets a payload to somewhere in atmosphere and then launches or drops it. Launches for releasing a rocket to go into orbit or dropping a glider or vehicle on a pallet with parachutes to a location. Even just parachuting a Kerbal from the plane. The trouble is that once you pass 2.3 km apart, the craft you didn't stay with is usually lost. What I would love is if you left a pilot on the launch aircraft, there is an option to tell them to go home upon separation and they then fly and land the aircraft back at base in background simulation. I know there are programs like "Bon Voyage" that can get a rover to a location in background simulation. Does anybody know of a mod that can return an aircraft home while you are concentrating on other things?

Also, if not. Would it be possible to intergate it into KSP?

28 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I have always liked the idea of having a launch craft that gets a payload to somewhere in atmosphere and then launches or drops it. Launches for releasing a rocket to go into orbit or dropping a glider or vehicle on a pallet with parachutes to a location. Even just parachuting a Kerbal from the plane. The trouble is that once you pass 2.3 km apart, the craft you didn't stay with is usually lost. What I would love is if you left a pilot on the launch aircraft, there is an option to tell them to go home upon separation and they then fly and land the aircraft back at base in background simulation. I know there are programs like "Bon Voyage" that can get a rover to a location in background simulation. Does anybody know of a mod that can return an aircraft home while you are concentrating on other things?

Also, if not. Would it be possible to intergate it into KSP?

Can't be integrated, but Bon Voyage shows it can be done, wouldn't be too difficult, except for figuring out if there is enough fuel to get back or not.

Also, once started on it's voyage back, would be difficult to get back to it, since according to the game, it wouldn't be there

@linuxgurugamer

Had actually been thinking to myself, if anyone would know if this has been done, it would be you.

Would be happy with a mod and just being able to come back to base later and find it parked in front of the Hangar.

I will have to look up the Bon Voyage and see if the Author is still about. If not. Can you think of anybody who has the programming ability and time to make it work?

It's a bit cheaty and not quite what you want, but maybe you could use AirPark? Have the functionality pinned on the mothership, focus on, and release the payload, then punch the Park button?

Then you fly your payload mission, and come back to the mothership later. I'm not sure if you can just recover an airparked craft, but you could fly it home.

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You are joking?

No. I wasn't going to assume you would be available, you have sooooooo many mods you are actively managing and updating. Asking you to do it felt like "Hey camel, just 1 more straw"

But you are so up on all the mods I thought you might know someone that might have the time.

10 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

It's a bit cheaty and not quite what you want, but maybe you could use AirPark? Have the functionality pinned on the mothership, focus on, and release the payload, then punch the Park button?

Then you fly your payload mission, and come back to the mothership later. I'm not sure if you can just recover an airparked craft, but you could fly it home.

I had considered this, but it would be weird if you took a day doing something and then came back to find your aircraft hovering exactly where you left it. Lets call this a last resort if the other can't be done.

17 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

No. I wasn't going to assume you would be available, you have sooooooo many mods you are actively managing and updating. Asking you to do it felt like "Hey camel, just 1 more straw"

But you are so up on all the mods I thought you might know someone that might have the time.

This is essentially what Bon Voyage does, so I've posted in that thread, asking him if he could add this functionality to it.

21 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

I had considered this, but it would be weird if you took a day doing something and then came back to find your aircraft hovering exactly where you left it. Lets call this a last resort if the other can't be done.

You could also try using FMRS to do it

10 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You could also try using FMRS to do it

You buried the lead. Now that I know what FMRS is, this sounds great. Here is the link for anybody else who reads this.

And this

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.