Crazy celestial body ideas

Hello everyone! I know that the planet / moon roster for initial game release is probably already set in stone, but there is a lot of room for future expansion in the KSP universe. So I'm going to make a compilation / list of (mostly crazy and probably not possible IRL) planet / moon physics ideas. Any feedback and extra ideas are more than welcome!

- binary system with a common atmospheric bridge (maybe generated by gasses from vulcanism like on Rask & Rusk) - that could maybe allow armospheric flight from one planet to another
- planets with a lot of vulcanism without / with normal / very thick atmosphere (there are very big differences related to vulcanic explosions behavior)
- solid clouds you can land on (like in Interstellar) - maybe above a gas giant, porous ice clouds
- water world with huge tsunamis (like in Interstellar)
- foam world (water world with oceans that have a thick layer of foam above, with only mountain peaks clear for landing)
- classic half hellscape / half frozen planet (planet tidally locked to star, one half in perpetual darkness)
- planet like Crematoria in Chronicles of Riddick, with extreme moving heat wave during daytime
- planet with a lot of tornadoes and localized storms
- rainy planet (serene or with howling winds)
- spiky planet (like carbon spikes) with very few places to land on
- furry shores planet with aluminum lands and mercury seas (check the chemical reaction https://youtu.be/IrdYueB9pY4 )
- Dune
- planet with a lot of sinkholes and lava tubes
- planet with dust streaming off of it - radiation and winds from the nearby star would blow off material from its circumference, there would be liniar winds
- rogue planets
- Europa / Enceladus like moons or planets, with very deep oceans under the ice, geothermal vents
- very, very old planet
- planets with unstable, varied orbits (like in three body problem)
- swamp / mist world
- merged double planet (with 8 shape)
- metalic planet / moon
- some kind of disk world
- matte black planet (dark like charcoal)
- egg shaped (gravitational pull)
- planet surrounded by orbiting liquid bubbles that periodically fall back down
- very cold planet with levitating quantum locked metal islands
- planet or moon cracked / split in half (Doom vibes)
- ice VII / X body
- bromic acid seas, Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction (video)
- phosphorescence / triboluminescence
- Mercury (II) thiocyanate / calcium gluconate (video)
- ferrofluid lakes / volcanoes
- climate / seasons!
- very tight and fast orbit around a red dwarf
- a pulsar with high radiation levels and you can see it's beams even when landed on a planet (like in Galaxies Unbound)
- black hole with orbiting system
- planet with two perpendicular orbiting debris disks, at different altitudes
- giant impact crater or crack / trench / canyon which contains all the planet's atmosphere (like atmospheric density differences on Duna)
- a desert where we can take our rovers and do high dune jumps like at Baja
- 10+ km cliffs like Verona Rupes on Miranda (Uranus moon) so we can jump off it
- celestial body with giant atmospheric or liquid vortex (let's say you could fly inside it and touch the bottom of the ocean)
- N-ary star system
- planet with a quartz crystal (of any type or even mixed for colourfulness) surface (Z.O.M.G)
- planets with different oxides for different colours: copper oxide soil for a blue surface, bismuth oxide for yellow, chrome oxide for green etc. (Z.O.M.G)
- brown dwarf (Z.O.M.G)

I will add more...

Edited by Vl3d
added more

On 3/24/2022 at 1:59 PM, Vl3d said:

rogue planets

I'm really hoping for rogue planets as well.  Both truly solitary planets and unbound planet-moon systems.

Another thing I'm hoping for is something similar to the TRAPPIST-1 system which features a tiny red dwarf star, a compact system of planets rapidly orbiting it, and a habitable zone very close to the star.

On 3/24/2022 at 6:59 PM, Vl3d said:

- binary system with a common atmospheric bridge (maybe generated by gasses from vulcanism like on Rask & Rusk) - that could maybe allow armospheric flight from one planet to another

No, unrealistic.

- foam world (water world with oceans that have a thick layer of foam above, with only mountain peaks clear for landing)

No basis in reality. How long could that amount of foam possibly last?

- merged double planet (with 8 shape)

Again, no basis in reality whatsoever. Many things in this list come from Star Wars, not anything worthy of realism.

- some kind of disk world

Quick physics lesson: gravity pulls the edges together into the most compact shape it can I.E. a sphere. There are no disk worlds.

Before you come up with suggestions you think could possibly fit into KSP 2, it's worth considering how realistic the idea is.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:59 PM, Vl3d said:

list of (mostly crazy and probably not possible IRL) planet / moon physics ideas.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Before you come up with suggestions you think could possibly fit into KSP 2, it's worth considering how realistic the idea is.

I think this was less of a serious "please add this to the game" suggestion than a "this would be a cool thing to add, but probably in mods" which is fine as well. Lots of suggestions made here are made with the intent that they be considered as ideas rather than just stock suggestions. 

I believe in empowering the stock devs and mod devs with wild sources of inspiration so they can decide what should be in the game. Also all your feedback is very welcome and I agree with you that most ideas are unrealistic.

What do you think about a planet with two perpendicular orbiting debris disks, at different altitudes? From some kind of angled impacts, one equatorial, one polar..

1 minute ago, EnderKid2 said:
23 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Quick physics lesson: gravity pulls the edges together into the most compact shape it can I.E. a sphere. There are no disk worlds.

What if it's spinning really fast?

If it's spinning fast, then it'll become an oval, not a disk.

1 hour ago, EnderKid2 said:

What if it's spinning really fast?

If it were spinning that fast, everything would fly off radially from centripetal force.  Keep going, you are going to end up where Larry Niven ended up

Edited by darthgently

21 minutes ago, EnderKid2 said:

there's going to be some level of spin where the spheroid is very oblate but net acceleration toward the center at the equator is still positive.

There's not going to be "some level of spin" where the spheroid is as flat as you're looking it to be.

Despite weather not seeming to be planned for  KSP2,  it could be fun to have planets windy atmospheres, with jet streams and the like. That would pose a nice challenge.

Far easier to implement would be having composite / non-spherical asteroids or comets, like 67P Churymov-Gerasimenko or Arrokoth. It would be more realistic for Kuiper belt objects and a lot more fun to explore and take some screenshots!

10 minutes ago, farelinho said:

Despite weather not seeming to be planned for  KSP2,  it could be fun to have planets windy atmospheres, with jet streams and the like. That would pose a nice challenge.

I bet there will be mods to handle that. :) That's one good thing about our modding community - where there is a strong desire by the community to see something added to the game, the modders usually want it to, and they do it!

But the problem is is processors do have their limitations - which has me thinking a little more in detail. I'd imagine you might could have a localized simulation, but to take it to a global level might take up a lot of processing power. I'm not sure if I would rather have a global simulated weather pattern with jet streams, temperature patterns, and climate or that visual appeal we've all desired with just basic clouds and the like. I'd like to have it all but not at the expense of turning KSP2 into a program that has all the speed of a PowerPoint presentation. :/

You don't have to simulate planet-wide weather. From orbit it can be "painted on" like clouds. And locally have physics range effects (wind pushing you to the side) or graphics (dust, snow, drops). I lack the technical jargon, but i don't see why we think weather is so hard to implement.

I'm just dreaming on the wind topic! Weather systems would be a whole new chapter for developers, probably too time/resource consuming for what it's worth...

I mentioned it because I recently landed a probe on Eve with a *slight* parachute overkill and it felt quite odd to have such a calm descent 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2022 at 7:59 PM, Vl3d said:

disk world

What I'd really like to be is a ploughshare. I don't know what that is, but it sounds like an existence with some point to it.

-- The colour of Magic, page 114

On 3/31/2022 at 7:07 PM, adsii1970 said:

I bet there will be mods to handle that. :) That's one good thing about our modding community - where there is a strong desire by the community to see something added to the game, the modders usually want it to, and they do it!

But the problem is is processors do have their limitations - which has me thinking a little more in detail. I'd imagine you might could have a localized simulation, but to take it to a global level might take up a lot of processing power. I'm not sure if I would rather have a global simulated weather pattern with jet streams, temperature patterns, and climate or that visual appeal we've all desired with just basic clouds and the like. I'd like to have it all but not at the expense of turning KSP2 into a program that has all the speed of a PowerPoint presentation. :/

Set a dozen of points all around the planet with a rotation assigned to each (clockwise/counter-clockwise). Then, to determine the strength and direction of the wind where you are, for each "rotating point", take its "speed parameter" (a number that is +/- depending on whether it's clockwise/counter-clockwise) and divide it by the square of its distance on the surface to your position. Then take the average of the 12 values calculated (one for each rotation point).

• 4 weeks later...

This is probably impossible but a negative mass planetary core with a massive shell that is at an equilibrium so it has the same gravity pushing out on the inside and in on the outside