An Idea of the museum System

X.Z

Is that possible to add a museum in KSC? It can be a museum of meanful milestone of you space trip. For example the first rocket (wreckage), the first Reentry capsule come back from KLO, and sth else. Anything (mainly spacecraft or aircraft or viechle) you think meaningful can be put in the museum. 

In KSP1, the landed aerospace craft will be recycle to money, is there a possible to do not recycle them and give them a chance to flyback to sky? Not a brand new one, just the used one. That will be extremly romantic! Imagine  that you are already have your space station, have outer space base and sth else. and then, you deside go back to your museum, re-fuel your first workable SSTO, and freely fly Under the sky of kerbal. How romantic!

In earlier KSP 2 images, when hovering over a part in the VAB, the information includes the cost of the part as well as the quantity of that part you have. In the most recent dev diary I haven't seen that, but there is a good chance it is going to be in the additional information that you can access by pressing shift, either on release or once the "Exploration" update releases. What I speculate this to mean is that instead of scrapping craft, you can get the parts back and re-use them for future missions. This is probably most useful on colonies so that you don't have to produce more parts, but I hope that you can still keep craft "intact" at the KSC. Since this system is sort of like a suggestion, here is what I'd like to see in order of increasing fancifulness (and probably complexity to implement). 

When loading craft into the VAB, I'm sure there will be some sort of organizational system. A separate tab for craft that are "stored" in the colony would be nice, especially seeing as they can be "built" out of the same parts they came in with, meaning no new parts need to be built

When loading a craft that has previously entered the colony, having an overlay to show which parts are missing (from other rockets taking them), something like the parts being greyed-out and transparent. This could also work for any craft in conjunction with the next suggestion, to show which parts are available and which ones need to be built.

Being able to select whether you want to build a part or use an existing one would be great. If you are putting together a new interstellar craft, you might want to "borrow" the Daedalus engine but make new truss segments so that interplanetary transport ships can use the old ones right away. Lots of applications could come of this.

Having to store the parts in dedicated modules would be nice, making bases look varied and potentially tying in with whatever logistics challenges are present with colonies. What would be especially nice is if you could see the craft rendered in these hangars, and even remove the parts from the craft as they are used for other missions. 

Lastly, there was a realism mod that made it so that tooling a specific part or putting together a stage for the first time was very expensive but was then more efficient for future launches. Having a cost to reassembling craft would encourage interesting choices, like a moon rover that re-uses a deep space probe body because removing only the solar panels is a lot cheaper than separating and reattaching all of the batteries. Or again with the repurposed interstellar ship, re-using the entire truss structure, habitation and all, because a more efficient cargo configuration isn't worth the cost of disassembling everything. I'm not sure I want this to be Stock as most people would find it overly restrictive, but it would be a good extension to that mod. 

52 minutes ago, t_v said:

In earlier KSP 2 images, when hovering over a part in the VAB, the information includes the cost of the part as well as the quantity of that part you have. In the most recent dev diary I haven't seen that, but there is a good chance it is going to be in the additional information that you can access by pressing shift, either on release or once the "Exploration" update releases. What I speculate this to mean is that instead of scrapping craft, you can get the parts back and re-use them for future missions. This is probably most useful on colonies so that you don't have to produce more parts, but I hope that you can still keep craft "intact" at the KSC. Since this system is sort of like a suggestion, here is what I'd like to see in order of increasing fancifulness (and probably complexity to implement). 

When loading craft into the VAB, I'm sure there will be some sort of organizational system. A separate tab for craft that are "stored" in the colony would be nice, especially seeing as they can be "built" out of the same parts they came in with, meaning no new parts need to be built

When loading a craft that has previously entered the colony, having an overlay to show which parts are missing (from other rockets taking them), something like the parts being greyed-out and transparent. This could also work for any craft in conjunction with the next suggestion, to show which parts are available and which ones need to be built.

Being able to select whether you want to build a part or use an existing one would be great. If you are putting together a new interstellar craft, you might want to "borrow" the Daedalus engine but make new truss segments so that interplanetary transport ships can use the old ones right away. Lots of applications could come of this.

Having to store the parts in dedicated modules would be nice, making bases look varied and potentially tying in with whatever logistics challenges are present with colonies. What would be especially nice is if you could see the craft rendered in these hangars, and even remove the parts from the craft as they are used for other missions. 

Lastly, there was a realism mod that made it so that tooling a specific part or putting together a stage for the first time was very expensive but was then more efficient for future launches. Having a cost to reassembling craft would encourage interesting choices, like a moon rover that re-uses a deep space probe body because removing only the solar panels is a lot cheaper than separating and reattaching all of the batteries. Or again with the repurposed interstellar ship, re-using the entire truss structure, habitation and all, because a more efficient cargo configuration isn't worth the cost of disassembling everything. I'm not sure I want this to be Stock as most people would find it overly restrictive, but it would be a good extension to that mod. 

I think this is an amazing idea and this thread should propably moved to suggestions and development discussion 

2 hours ago, X.Z said:

Is that possible to add a museum in KSC? It can be a museum of meanful milestone of you space trip. For example the first rocket (wreckage), the first Reentry capsule come back from KLO, and sth else. Anything (mainly spacecraft or aircraft or viechle) you think meaningful can be put in the museum.

This would be great aswell, maybe with an update later, after early access launch

6 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

This is the KSP 2 subforum :)

I'm sure someone will come up with a mod like that if there are no stock hangars, though. Or we might be able to use colony-building tools at some point to just add them to KSC.

Given that the VAB was too small for one of the new parts….that’s going to be a ridonkulous* Hanger/ museum.

remember that once you go interstellar, your talking about entire spaceships and even parts  that will be naked eye visible and probably identifiable  as what they are in low earth orbit

seriously, one  of the engine Nozzles  alone is the size of a decent multistory building. 

a-screenshot-taken-from-the-kerbal-space

* not a typo.

Edited by [email protected]

1 hour ago, K^2 said:

I'm sure someone will come up with a mod like that if there are no stock hangars, though. Or we might be able to use colony-building tools at some point to just add them to KSC.

Assuming we can put a colony right in the center of the KSC.

Hmm. Afaik, the only panels we have are the runway/launchpad tile pieces. Asphalt hangers... lovely. 

4 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Given that the VAB was too small for one of the new parts….that’s going to be a ridonkulous* Hanger/ museum.

remember that once you go interstellar, your talking about entire spaceships and even parts  that will be naked eye visible and probably identifiable  as what they are in low earth orbit

seriously, one  of the engine Nozzles  alone is the size of a decent multistory building. 

a-screenshot-taken-from-the-kerbal-space

* not a typo.

Since there's no reason you'd need to store an interstellar vehicle in its entirety, I just figured nobody was talking about storing interstellar vehicles, rather just talking about storing smaller things :)

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:
6 hours ago, K^2 said:

Assuming we can put a colony right in the center of the KSC.

Implying the KSC isn't a colony? It only makes sense that in KSP 2 the KSC will be a colony made from parts available to other colonies,

7 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

Since there's no reason you'd need to store an interstellar vehicle in its entirety, I just figured nobody was talking about storing interstellar vehicles, rather just talking about storing smaller things :)

Implying the KSC isn't a colony? It only makes sense that in KSP 2 the KSC will be a colony made from parts available to other colonies,

I doubt the KSC is a colony or is made up of colony parts. Why would it be? It's on the Kerbin home world. 

16 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

There are different ways to handle that from perspective of both the game code and design. While it seems reasonable at first to just make it a colony to conserve the effort of re-implementing the build system for KSC expansion/upgrades, the fact that KSC has a lot of custom structures might make it too complex. E.g., I'm pretty sure runways at KSC aren't going to be built out of colony tiles, in which case, you wouldn't be able to expand these trivially.

So the KSC might not be a colony for the purposes of how things will be built. Though, I'm sure a lot of the code and assets will be shared, so I have no idea how much of a distinction there would really be.

19 minutes ago, GoldForest said:
29 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I doubt the KSC is a colony or is made up of colony parts. Why would it be? It's on the Kerbin home world. 

And? It's a space center that you will be upgrading.

8 minutes ago, K^2 said:
29 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

There are different ways to handle that from perspective of both the game code and design. While it seems reasonable at first to just make it a colony to conserve the effort of re-implementing the build system for KSC expansion/upgrades, the fact that KSC has a lot of custom structures might make it too complex. E.g., I'm pretty sure runways at KSC aren't going to be built out of colony tiles, in which case, you wouldn't be able to expand these trivially.

So the KSC might not be a colony for the purposes of how things will be built. Though, I'm sure a lot of the code and assets will be shared, so I have no idea how much of a distinction there would really be.

Fair enough. But it will be weird if all the other colonies upgrade and expand in a dynamic-ish way while the KSC just sits there somewhat static with predetermined upgrade levels and runways that can't be expanded or cut down.

Edited by Bej Kerman

19 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

First things first.

I was thinking some of the things they showed off in the clip may be part of the things they did at for example the Space City Houston tour https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Center_Houston where some exhibits are basicaly outdoors. That statue for example looks like a Kerbalised version of one that they wanted to build at the city of Webster for a while.  

you can Google it if you want…..

it’s safe. 

just, some of the art for it looks….weird.

As for KSP itself? In carreer you build it up in levels bu upgrading individual parts of it.

so it kind of was already.

Edited by Drakenred65