NO CAREER MODE or Money planned for game

RaBDawG

I think you're confusing "lack of money" with "lack of constraints."

It has been mentioned many times by the dev team that "challenge mode" in the game will use different mechanics, as collecting scince points and money through contracts quickly gets repetitive and grinding.

3 minutes ago, RaBDawG said:

Soooooo WTH lol?  There will be no monetary constraints on what you can build, just science progression.   I literally only play Career mode in KSP 1.  How tf do they leave that out?!?

What are you talking about? Where did you read this? Did the developers actually say this?

Just 48 hours ago, I would agree with you, @Sea_Kerman, but we have to understand this game is live now...so you have to assume that there are users that don't nerd out on these forums. If I bought a game, and had an issue, I'd go to the official website/forums. I would not expect an entrance exam to ask why this game is KSP 2077.

4 hours ago, dylsh said:

That can’t be true…. That would just shatter my reality 

Bro, same.  I’m already on a razor’s edge with what they have released right now…. 

Edited by sumghai
Removed masked profanity

I would hope that KSP2 gets gamified in a more better/funner way than Career/science mode was in KSP 1.  Right off the top of my head I can think of at least three better meta games to play in the KSP sandbox.

Edited by GregA

Oh no I wiped out my massive ssto to Jool Because I  forgot heat shield for aero breaking....reload save at VAB...add parts you left off....relaunch..

6 minutes ago, dylsh said:

I think KSP1’s Career could have absolutely been done in a better way. But I definitely want a Career option in KSP. That’s all I played since it was released. It gave consequence to failure. 

1 minute ago, dylsh said:

I think KSP1’s Career could have absolutely been done in a better way. But I definitely want a Career option in KSP. That’s all I played since it was released. It gave consequence to failure. 

I loved saving Kerbols in the Career mode.  Those were my favorite missions.  I felt like the tech tree, currency and science was a missed opportunity.  The science and materials should have been collectables that were found on the various moons and planets.  All the sudden there is a reason to build planes, rovers, landers and space stations that facilitated ISRU.  Scanning planets would have a point.  Etc.

25 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I think you're confusing "lack of money" with "lack of constraints."

It has been mentioned many times by the dev team that "challenge mode" in the game will use different mechanics, as collecting scince points and money through contracts quickly gets repetitive and grinding.

I thought it was called "Adventure Mode", and from what I can tell it's basically career mode but you need resources to build parts instead of money. Hopefully science collection is still there. Probably quite a bit different from career in general, but I like the idea of actually having a use for mining resources.

If that's the case, endgame would probably be much better as well. In KSP1 career you struggle a lot in the beginning, and then once you get past Minmus you get a ton of science and money really quickly and have no 'real' reason to visit other planets. The tech tree in KSP1 is easily exhausted by the time you reach Duna!

2 hours ago, RaBDawG said:

Soooooo WTH lol?  There will be no monetary constraints on what you can build, just science progression.   I literally only play Career mode in KSP

How tf do they leave that out?!?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/954850/discussions/0/3772364949848937904/

Correction:

AWHI18C.png

Edited by mcwaffles2003

4 hours ago, dylsh said:

There will still be consequences and constraints, and you will still need to earn what you spend.

The difference is you will be spending and risking specific resources which you have collected rather than currency.  For example, you may need to fabricate a ton of metallic hydrogen on Dres so you can 'spend' it on a special colony ark to Laythe.

I really like the idea, as it makes the rarity of specific resources impactful to progression, tech unlocks, etc.

There will be a campaign/career mode - it's now being referred to as 'Exploration mode'. And yes, "Funds" are being dropped in favour of resources. Science is linked to tech progression, however how resources work and how we collect them - especially when in early game, when we have none - is well and truly anyone's guess at this point.

How I see it working is that we start in a barebones, un-upgraded KSC - which is essentially our starting colony on Kerbin. Whether or not there will be others, or we can build others, is also anyone's guess. Though from Matt Lowne's interview with Nate and the dude whose name escapes me (used to be a modder, now works on KSP2), I get the impression there will be up to 4 KSC-type areas on Kerbin during Multiplayer so potentially, this will be mirrored across the Exploration mode. But I digress.

Our initial tech will likely based on the same tech we start with in KSP1, though I would like to see a "pre-manned rocket" beginning (such as Sounding Rockets) - perhaps as an in-game "hidden tutorial" on managing craft and resources in Exploration mode. I'd also like to see more of a focus on unmanned flight first (mimicking our beginnings of space flight) before we start throwing Kerbals up there.

We will likely be encouraged to explore Kerbin itself initially - to locate basic resources and to conduct basic sciences, allowing us to unlock more advanced technology and upgrade our facilities before the "space race" starts in earnest. I believe there will be a narrative interwoven into Exploration mode, to get us to focus on setting goals for reasons as opposed to "Let's just do this thing because we can" - I believe the easter eggs (such as the Mun arch) will play some part in this narrative. When we get to the Mun, we begin the process of exploration, survey, colony building and resource gathering - not all at once, we'll need to gather science data, acquire the technology and resources to support them first. Getting to the Mun and Minmus are the early game - we break into the mid-game with Duna and Eve... Though because of Eve's unique properties, I would prefer that maybe Eve was left for later. Before finally setting our sights on Dres, Jool and Eeloo - though, as teased in the trailer, I see Jool being a sort of end-game ship production area for interstellar vessels.

I also think a Life Support-esque mechanic will play a part in KSP2 though, from what I've read in the Discord and such, it won't (or at least there'll be an option to) be life and death, but it will affect the Kerbal's performance (however it will work in KSP2) if their life support is low. Due to this, long duration manned missions will, or may, not be advised early - relying on unmanned probes, landers and rovers initially (again, mirroring our own space exploration).

I suspect that, as we explore these planets - whether by orbital satellites, landers or rovers - we will come across unique sites/locations/points/areas we will need to research over time and discover unique resources to extract, necessitating the construction of colonies on each planet and moon we visit to continue these. For example, if the Mun arch does indeed play a role in a narrative in Exploration mode, then our initial "science" at/around/on the site gleans very little progress - yet when we visit with more advanced equipment and/or more often, and/or set up a colony devoted to studying this artifact we gain larger chunks of actionable 'science'.

By the time we have the technology to go interstellar, I believe there will be a narrative reason - in addition to our desire to simply explore - for us to go to Debdeb (confirmed to be the first star system added). By this time, we will also have a number of colonies across the Kerbolar system and be extracting the various resources we need to build the rockets we want. From what I also understand, as we discover these resources we, as players, will initially need to do the heavy lifting to extract these resources however at some point we are able to automate these - though what that looks like I do not know.

We will, eventually, be able to build ships in orbit, or at orbital colonies/space stations - so we'll need significant resources and automation to achieve this - especially given the scale of the interstellar ships we'll need to design and the sheer size of the parts we must attach to them.

I'm like you, OP, I only play the career mode. I do have a sandbox game however I only really use that to test my career mode designs before I commit to launching them and it's what I let my kids play around in - where killing Kerbals and making expensive rockets doesn't affect my career game.

So while Funds are going, I think what replaces it will be even better. In my opinion.

Edited by Cailean_556

11 hours ago, Coin said:

I thought it was called "Adventure Mode", and from what I can tell it's basically career mode but you need resources to build parts instead of money. Hopefully science collection is still there. Probably quite a bit different from career in general, but I like the idea of actually having a use for mining resources.

If that's the case, endgame would probably be much better as well. In KSP1 career you struggle a lot in the beginning, and then once you get past Minmus you get a ton of science and money really quickly and have no 'real' reason to visit other planets. The tech tree in KSP1 is easily exhausted by the time you reach Duna!

So do I have to go gather resources next to KSC like Minecraft before I can launch a rocket?  What do I have to do to get these resources?  Its not very realistic that I have to get weird resources on other planets to build a rocket - as Elon Musk said (paraphrasing), even if there was free cocaine on Mars, it wouldn't be economical to bring it back to Earth.  

I only now noticed there is no Career mode with money coming. I was under the impression science progression goes hand in hand with that.

I hope this stuff can be easily added with a mod if the developers are keen on not having money as a constraint, for me that's the charm of career mode, managing both funds and science progression.

45 minutes ago, RocketRockington said:

So do I have to go gather resources next to KSC like Minecraft before I can launch a rocket?  What do I have to do to get these resources?  Its not very realistic that I have to get weird resources on other planets to build a rocket - as Elon Musk said (paraphrasing), even if there was free cocaine on Mars, it wouldn't be economical to bring it back to Earth.  

The way money is utilized in zkSP1 wasn’t particular realidtic rither, and the way contracts work meant that to fund new missions you could simply do the same boring stuff over and over again. The same was said for Science.we’ve al been there, driving around the KSC gathering crubs. Not fun.

One of the reasons development took so long is because the team took a step back and pondered over hwto improve game mechanics. We don’t know what it entices, what we do know is that besides Sandbox there will be an Exploration mode where the game puts up challenges forthe player tomove forward. Science will be spart of thst—in what form we don’t know—and money will not.

Resources are the new limitation in that mode, it eill be exciting to see how it works out. Lkely you will need certain resources, like hydrogen, to build or use certain engine classes, and to build things like stations and colonies.

We have to wait and see how the devs intend for the progression to be like.

Personally, I'm not as eager about this mechanic, imagine carrying your money newly gathered resources to your home base and you fumble your landing after a long trip and no more resources for you and essentially getting stuck not being able to continue.

2 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

The way money is utilized in zkSP1 wasn’t particular realidtic rither, and the way contracts work meant that to fund new missions you could simply do the same boring stuff over and over again. The same was said for Science.we’ve al been there, driving around the KSC gathering crubs. Not fun.

One of the reasons development took so long is because the team took a step back and pondered over hwto improve game mechanics. We don’t know what it entices, what we do know is that besides Sandbox there will be an Exploration mode where the game puts up challenges forthe player tomove forward. Science will be spart of thst—in what form we don’t know—and money will not.

Resources are the new limitation in that mode, it eill be exciting to see how it works out. Lkely you will need certain resources, like hydrogen, to build or use certain engine classes, and to build things like stations and colonies.

I mean ok, I get that it's somewhat unrealistic, it's more like a commercial space program. But it made the game have reasonable engineering challenges, you couldn't.make any size rockets like in Science mode.

But what's the gameplay with getting hydrogen you're imagining.  There's an ocean right in front of KSC.  Are you expecting me to play Factorio and set up electrolysis on Kerbin to make hydrogen?  I like Factorio but that doesn't seem to fit with KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.