[1.12.5] IO Assorted Mods & Configs

Iodyne

Hello! These are all configs I have written to provide various enhancements and support to certain mods, primarily planet packs. Additionally, some configs here are alterations of existing features out of personal preference or for general quality of life.

Some of the miscellaneous configs have already been distributed by others. The purpose of their inclusion here is having them in an easily accessible location. Please feel free to contribute configs in the thread. This is by no means supposed to be solely for planet pack or Principia support either.

IO Altered Orbits - v0.92

Spoiler

A set of configs that alter the orbits and properties of celestial bodies, for stock and some other planet packs. Supports Principia (stability tested to ~5,000 years) and IO-PrincipiaOrbitPatches. Reccomends IO-PrincipiaGravityModels.

Some of these configs change the orbits and/or properties of bodies to: more closely resemble their real-life analogues; increase gameplay interest and difficulty; align them with axial tilts supplied by IO-PrincipiaGravityModels, or to provide general enhancements. It should not need to be said that the majority of these changes then are arbitrary and by my own personal preference. By all means you may make your own with or without using mine as a template, or you may edit my configs for your personal use.

Please note that when using Principia, both apsidal and nodal precession are very present (though it appears axial precession unfortunately is not). As such, several of the orbits these configs incline precess over hundreds to thousands of years, and so at times may not be/feel as cohesive with my other mods such as IO-PrincipaGravityModels.

Supports stock, OPM, MPE, Janet's Planets, Extrasolar, & GEP. I felt no need to provide edits for NeidonPlus nor Kcalbeloh.

Please also note that the MPE support in IO-AlteredOrbits-GEP.cfg conflicts with the existing MPE support now included in GEP. If you are using that file, please delete GameData/GEP/GEP_Configs/MPE.cfg.

NOTE: The NEEDS[Principia] in these configs refers to the inclusion of IO-PrincipiaGravityModels. If you are not using Principia, these configs will still work; and if you are using Principia, then there should be no reason not to use the IO-PrincipiaGravityModels.

Download: GitHub

IO Principia Gravity Models - v0.92

Spoiler

A set of configs to give axial tilt, for use in Principia. (Stability tested to ~5,000 years).

Most axial tilts were chosen arbitrarily. Many are designed to resemble their body's real-life analogues, but there exists varying degrees of faithfulness in their representations. In other cases, tidally-locked bodies were given axial tilts to match their orbits.

Many of the values which were based off the bodies' orbits (such as in tidally-locked bodies) were not based off stock orbits but rather those included in IO-AlteredOrbits. These tilts are designed to be paired with such orbital changes. The stock orbits are so very plain and mostly in-line with the ecliptic that there exists little sense for tilts in vanilla KSP.

Please note that as per Principia requirements (https://github.com/mockingbirdnest/Principia/wiki/Principia-configuration-files#the-principia_gravity_model-configuration) there must exist no more than one node (i.e. only one config file should not have an @ symbol as its first character). As such, if the stock gravity model is not used (due to a planet pack replacement or similar) but another is, one of them must be made to be the root node. What that means is that if one is to not make such a change themself, or in any case where one of these config files are used, IO-PrincipiaGravityModel-Stock.cfg is a dependency. It should be said that Principia is a dependency in order for these configs to work, but it should not cause an error to have these installed but not Principia.

In the same vein, please note that such systems that replace the stock Kerbin and/or Sun ("Kerbol") still (as far as I believe) use the names Kerbin and Sun internally to refer to the bodies that replace them. In this case, IO-PrincipiaGravityModel-Stock will conflict with such a mod, as it will (likely) provide incorrect/undesired axial tilt and gravitational parameter values.

If you wish to make your own gravity model, follow the format I have provided, the config included in Principia (Principia/real_solar_system/gravity_model.cfg), or the Principia wiki (https://github.com/mockingbirdnest/Principia/wiki/Principia-configuration-files#the-principia_gravity_model-configuration).

Lastly, while included, the configs for GEP and/or Extrasolar may or may not cause incorrect reference_angle (initialRotation) states for their respective bodies (which, if an issue, can be fixed by enabling the variable assignment and finding the correct phase shift). Such a case presented itself when making the Kcalbeloh config, wherein the phase shift was -90. Principia does not seem to note this issue, and believes 0 is the correct value for reference_angle to give an initialRotation of also 0. I believe this is only an issue in added star systems.

At the present moment I also have no intention to confirm this issue nor fix it, and I do not plan to maintain the configs for GEP (v1.2.8) or Kcalbeloh (v1.0.1) henceforth.

PLEASE NOTE: THE KCALBELOH CONFIG DOES NOT ADD ANY AXIAL TILTS! This has been left up to the discretion of others, such as the mod's creator. Do not hesitate to ask for information on how to go about entering desired values into the config.

IO Principia Orbit Patches - v0.92

Spoiler

Contains patches to make various planet pack orbits stable with Principia tested to ~5,000+ years (unless stated otherwise). Compatible with IO-AlteredOrbits.

Currently contains:

Stock Joolean System - Fixes ejection of Vall, Bop, and Pol out of Joolean system; increases SMA of Vall, Tylo, Bop, and Pol, and makes Bop's orbit retrograde. Values copied directly from Principia's patch. Values differ from Principia's patch for better stability (Vall still tended to escape the system a few hundred years in with the original patch). New patch changes the orbital resonances to 1 : e : e^2 : sqrt(5)*e^2 : 2*sqrt(5)*e^2. (2 instead of sqrt(5) was used at first but Bop would leave the system after a few thousand years due to proximity to Tylo/Pol.) Necessary if installing a planet pack.

Outer Planets Mod - Fixes disturbances of inner Sarnus system; increases Ovok's SMA to outer system as well as its eccentricity and inclination, making Ovok's orbit retrograde. Values derived from the work of @EnderDragneel and @ryansennis.

Minor Planets Expansion - Fixes unstable orbit of Kal; increases Kal's SMA and eccentricity to more closely resemble Namaka. Values derived from https://bit.ly/3jeKkab, with the ratio of Ki'Ki's to Hi'iaka's SMA as reference. (< This has now been included in the base install of MPE.) Lint-Mikey's orbit has been changed slightly with the intent to avoid interactions with Jool. While stable (enough), its implementation was not thorough and it is likely entirely optional. Even with the change, Lint-Mikey still interacts with Duna (and possibly Jool).

Neidon Plus - Nito and Tito have been moved out from their dangerous proximity to Neidon; Nito is now an asteroid-like body akin to Nissee, and Tito is now a retrograde moon of Chymere. Chymere has been moved out as well, past the orbit of Thatmo. SMA of Hårgalað decreased a bit (stability of Hårgalað only tested to 1820 years).  Please delete GameData/NeidonPlus/Patches/GregoriaOPMMoverAndShaker.cfg if it exists.

Extrasolar - SMA of Serex increased by 1.25x to avoid apparent "Schwarzschild radius" effect. SMAs of Solyth, Fust, Mir, and Lomina have been increased by 1.25533185x for general stability. Tested to 3,691 years.

Kcalbeloh System - Several changes were made, based off version 1.0.1, but with access to updated (1.0.2?) configs of the Simetra-Simeht system. Most notably, the Simetra-Simeht and Aralc binary systems were altered, removing the barycentre body and roughly shifting the sattelites (SMAs, inclinations, eccentricities) to account for it. In the Simetra-Simeht system specifically, Noyreg proved nontrivial to find a stable orbit (though I'm sure an SMA or meanAnomalyAtEpoch exists), but Norihc was fine, so I opted to merge the two into a binary system where Norihc was located. Noi and Noira use their updated (1.0.2?) configs. SMAs of Anehta/Aciore and Tot had to be changed for their stability; SMAs of Sunorc and Aralc increased for stability of Simetra-Simeht and Anehta/Aciore, respectively; and SMAs of Kcalbeloh sattelites increased so as to better space out the bodies in the empty space left by the previous changes. Enots was removed as a stable orbit does not appear to exist in proximity to Anehta/Aciore without making further creative changes to the system. It's fate, as well as the inclusion of this patch (or a version thereof) in Kcalbeloh proper will be left up to @Jason Kerman. Changes also include removal of explicit draw modes of patched conics and other unnecessary properties such as orbital periods, as well as fixing of tidal locking and rotation periods when appropriate (Simetra, Simeht, Norihc, Noyreg). PLEASE NOTE: the wormhole around Jool will disrupt the system! It has NOT been adjusted in this patch. A simple increase in SMA should work fine, say 1.25-1.5x, but this has not been tested nor implemented.

Janet's Planets nor Grannus Expansion Pack do not require any adjustments to work with Principia.

IO Misc - v0.1

Spoiler

A set of miscellaneous configs.

IO-AsteroidRemover.cfg removes all asteroids from spawning. This is useful (and often necessary) for users of Principia as it greatly improves performance due to far fewer vessels that require calculations.

IO-HideStarConics.cfg hides the conic patch paths of any star (specifically any celestial body that shares the Sun's template). This may be preferred in most interstellar star/planet packs.

IO-ShowSOIs.cfg enables the visualization of spheres of influence for all celestial bodies.

IO-Asteroids-Stock.cfg adds asteroids around Duna and Dres.

Delta-v Map for Stock + OPM

- Adds Karen and makes minor alterations to the dark-theme combined stock OPM delta-v map. Please note that my values for Karen have not been thoroughly tested. I believe this chart (not made by me) to be of higher quality; the different format it uses is my only hesitation and what drove me to still update this chart.

- Please note that these values refer to the original orbital parameters of the bodies (whether vanilla or as introduced in OPM). They do not represent any changes made in IO Altered Orbits nor IO Principia Orbit Patches, and nor by Principia itself. However, the values should not be far off, considering all inclinations save the interplanetary variety can be avoided by adjusting that of one's flyby with minimal delta-v. 

https://imgur.com/a/0484DrE

Stock + OPM + Karen

Stock + OPM + Karen + Inner Planets Transfer Windows & Insertion Angles

IO Visuals - v0.9

Details in the post below!

Spoiler

Provides EVE and Scatterer support for stock, OPM, MPE, Neidon Plus, Janet's Planets, and Extrasolar. Astronomer's Visual Pack Textures is a dependency! These configs and textures draw from AVP, SVE, OPMVO, and Spectra.

Support for DOE and Planetshine are also included, as well as some configs that alter/addend to SVT, SunflaresOfMaar, KopernicusExpansion, and others.

Please note: The textures from OPMVO are All Rights Reserved, and so are not distributed in IO-EVE-Textures.zip. They can be downloaded from here: https://github.com/Poodmund/PoodsOPMVO/tree/master/GameData/PoodsOPMVO/Textures Please download and place poodNeidon.dds, poodSarnus.dds, poodUrlum.dds, sarnusStormBlank.dds, and sarnusStormCube.dds into GameData/Iodyne/IO-Visuals/IO-EVE/Textures/OPMVO. (For the initial release I am distributing these textures in IO-EVE-Textures-WithOPMVO.zip, but only until I receive request to remove it in accordance with the license. This is in case I am mistaken in my understanding, for the convenience of users.)

License:

Configs almost all created or adapted by me, and are MIT (though as per forum rules, I believe, do not need any license).
Anything derived from Spectra (I believe only one texture at the moment) are MIT as well, as are free for use as per the creator's license.
Anything derived from Astronomer's Visual Pack are CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 as per the creator's license.
Anything derived from Stock Visual Enhancements are CC BY-NC-ND as per the creator's license.
There exist in this directory inclusions from OPMVO. These assets are All Rights Reserved.

More to come..?

There are no game-breaking dependencies. Principia is a functional dependency for IO Principia Gravity Models, and is the indication for IO Principia Orbit Patches. Respective planet packs (and Kopernicus) are of course indicative for their matching configs here. Kopernicus is a functional dependency for IO Altered Orbits, IO Principia Orbit Patches, and IO Misc.

Everything is licensed under MIT unless otherwise noted.

Edited by Iodyne

• 1 month later...

Introduction:

I am pleased to finally announce the release of IO Visuals! I have been working on and off this visual pack since 2018, often getting burnt out and leaving it for a year or two then attempt to bring it up to the latest version. Over the past month or so I have finally finished these updates. So here it is!

(I also wanted to get these out before volumetric clouds goes public and AVP updates, rendering 2D cloud configs potentially undesirable. Though perhaps some don't like the look of the volumetric clouds or don't have sufficient tech specs to utilize them.)

About:

IO Visuals is a comprehensive set of configs designed to act as a visual pack akin to AVP and Spectra. It is a composite of other visual packs, utilizing the best features from each to develop a visually complex and consistent feel across the stock system and several planet packs. Every module has been meticulously constructed and individually tested to meet the highest standard of visual acuity, from the exact height and alpha value of clouds to the proper indices of refraction of oceans for their canonical compositions. Visuals have been developed with a semi-realistic aesthetic and consistency prioritized, with many body features modeled after their real-life analogues.

IO Visuals contains configs for EVE, Scatterer, DOE, Planetshine, and Kopernicus Kopernicus Expansion. Supports stock, OPM, MPE, Janet's Planets, Neidon Plus, and Extrasolar.

IO Visuals has Astronomer's Visual Pack Textures v1.13 as a dependency (recommended and tested with the 8k textures) for EVE support. AVP Configs are not a dependency but are not incompatible either (they should all be disabled/overwritten by IO Visuals).

IO Visuals also requires IO EVE Textures as a dependency, as noted in the readme and the release description. IO EVE Textures includes deprecated textures from AVP and select textures from SVE, Spectra, and OPMVO*. *Please see the readme for more information.

Please note: IO EVE Extrasolar currently requires EXVE Textures as a dependency, to be downloaded separately. If it proves helpful, I may include the textures in IO EVE Textures at a later date. Similarly, I may do the same with the entirety of the visual pack if demand exists. If so, it would be released as a separate download as the intention with IO Visuals is it’s drag-and-drop functionality, allowing hesitant AVP users to install the mod with minimum effort and no uninstallations.

Release:

IO Visuals - v0.9

Spoiler

Provides EVE and Scatterer support for stock, OPM, MPE, Neidon Plus, Janet's Planets, and Extrasolar. Astronomer's Visual Pack Textures is a dependency! These configs and textures draw from AVP, SVE, OPMVO, and Spectra.

Support for DOE and Planetshine are also included, as well as some configs that alter/addend to SVT, SunflaresOfMaar, KopernicusExpansion, and others.

Please note: The textures from OPMVO are All Rights Reserved, and so are not distributed in IO-EVE-Textures.zip. They can be downloaded from here: https://github.com/Poodmund/PoodsOPMVO/tree/master/GameData/PoodsOPMVO/Textures Please download and place poodNeidon.dds, poodSarnus.dds, poodUrlum.dds, sarnusStormBlank.dds, and sarnusStormCube.dds into GameData/Iodyne/IO-Visuals/IO-EVE/Textures/OPMVO. (For the initial release I am distributing these textures in IO-EVE-Textures-WithOPMVO.zip, but only until I receive request to remove it in accordance with the license. This is in case I am mistaken in my understanding, for the convenience of users.)

License:

Configs almost all created or adapted by me, and are MIT (though as per forum rules, I believe, do not need any license).
Anything derived from Spectra (I believe only one texture at the moment) are MIT as well, as are free for use as per the creator's license.
Anything derived from Astronomer's Visual Pack are CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 as per the creator's license.
Anything derived from Stock Visual Enhancements are CC BY-NC-ND as per the creator's license.
There exist in this directory inclusions from OPMVO. These assets are All Rights Reserved.

Dependencies: IO EVE requires AVP Textures and 43k Kerbin clouds (optional). IO EVE Extrasolar additionally requires EXVE Textures.

Mod Support: EVE, Scatterer, DOE, Planetshine, SVT SVO, SunflaresOfMaar (Ursa Minor), Kopernicus, Kopernicus Expansion, Realistic Atmospheres

Planet Packs Supportstock, OPM, MPE, Janet's Planets, Neidon Plus, Extrasolar

Recommended: IO Altered Orbits, Parallax, OPM Parallax, TUFX

Incompatible: Spectra, SVE, other visual packs (except AVP, which is compatible)

Information:

IO Visuals includes several subcategories;  IO EVE, IO Scatterer, IO Kopernicus, IO DOE, IO Planetshine, and IO Skybox. Most of them are pretty self-explanatory.

IO EVE supports stock, OPM, MPE, Neidon Plus, Janet's Planets, and Extrasolar, made for version 1.11.7.1.

IO EVE Stock follows the AVP template and contains configs for auroras, dust and duststorms, geysers, glow*, haze, multilayered Jool clouds, optional 43k Kerbin clouds, lightning, shadows, snow, and cloud support for Eve, Kerbin, Duna, Laythe (including optional bioluminescent clouds), Tylo (conditional support for Realistic Atmospheres), and Eeloo (as IO Altered Orbits adds an atmosphere to Eeloo). *Glow to atmosphere bodies only; glow on vacuum bodies are bugged and cause a pitch-black opaque night.

IO EVE OPM does the same, and includes configs for auroras, dust, geysers, haze, lightning, shadows, multilayers clouds for the gas/ice giants, and cloud support for Tekto, Thatmo, and Plock (as IO Altered Orbits adds an atmosphere to Plock).

IO EVE MPE adds cloud support to Ervo and dust to most bodies. (Unfortunately some bodies have large physical distortions that render spherical-meshed clouds to be mostly pointless except at poles.)

IO EVE Neidon Plus adds dust and shadows support.

IO EVE Janet's Planets adds shadows support.

IO EVE Extrasolar expands upon EXVE and uses the AVP template to extend configs for auroras, clouds, dust, geysers, glow, haze, lightning, and multilayered clouds for the gas/ice giants.

IO Scatterer supports stock, OPM, MPE, Neidon Plus (shadows), and Extrasolar, all updated to version 0.0838.

Additional configs exist for Minmus and Plock as IO Altered Orbits adds atmospheres to these bodies. A simple deletion of their respective configs should not interfere with the rest of the visual pack. A config also exists for Tylo (conditional support for Realistic Atmospheres).

There is also included a SunFlareFix config from Spectra and a config that tweaks the recommended Ursa Minor sunflare from SunflaresOfMaar. (Note: if you are using a different SunflaresOfMaar sunflare you may want to delete said config as this config will alter it.)

IO Kopernicus includes Kopernicus Expansion footprint support for stock, OPM, MPE, Janet's Planets, Neidon Plus, and Extrasolar.

Also included is a light curve adapted from Kcalbeloh System,  miscellaneous edits adapted from AVP (settings and ring textures), an expansion to SVT SVO that adds rings back to Jool, and an optional "fun" patch that enables an asteroid-field-like ring around the Sun when Kcalbeloh System is installed. 

IO DOE and IO Planetshine supports stock, OPM, MPE, and Neidon Plus.

Configs exist for Extrasolar but DOE and Planetshine do not have full support with interstellar planet packs.

IO Skybox is just configs that support the skybox included in AVP Textures.

Gallery:

Scaled Space Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/UudrXZE

Spoiler

koIva2x.png

XDvKwQ1.png

Kerbin-Scaled-Space

3eyLsIZ.png

Minmus-Scaled-Space

Duna-Scaled-Space

mYRafFQ.png

aHpUKj5.png

KWyy0z0.png

zXQPnxs.png

Bj3sSer.png

3K1gUTj.png

I8k6r0F.png

57WOBJ2.png

c556C3S.png

IYHpNJq.png

pLAT826.png

OypshKG.png

H6OQ0v9.png

HfWDgu2.png

9mOGyuC.png

gEkE17J.png

cuFCLmS.png

QmAKbwr.png

DNSOa3M.png

t3SukmC.png

pqUWrkB.png

AQpqVcD.png

celZ4Gy.png

6Wlars3.png

NcmbY0C.png

Jo05UuC.png

Surface Gallery: [To Be Released]

Spoiler

Reference Gallery: https://imgur.com/a/IJo6mph

Spoiler

fLKRUn2.jpeg

w47aiEL.png

rAwQvLy.jpeg

backlit-illumination-of-pluto-other-low-atmosphere-bodies-reference-Plock-Thatmo-Ervo

clear-defined-atmosphere-boundary-high-scatter-hazy-view-of-surface-reference-Kerbin

fzjgLXO.png

LPpUZQI.jpeg

Very-defined-atmosphere-boundary-most-bodies-reference-Eve

Feel free to ask if you are unsure how to remove optional features or have any other questions!

Hope you enjoy!

Edited by Iodyne

These all look great - thanks for sharing!

On 5/1/2023 at 5:16 AM, Iodyne said:

IO Visuals - v0.9

IO Scatterer supports stock, OPM, MPE, Neidon Plus (shadows), and Extrasolar, all updated to v0.0838.

Does IO Visuals work with the new EVE and Scatterer which allow for volumetric clouds which blackrack has pre-released on Patreon? As I understand, configs need to be reworked somewhat.

Also, will it work alongside Parallax by Linx?

Edited by theonegalen

On 5/5/2023 at 4:51 PM, theonegalen said:

These all look great - thanks for sharing!

Your welcome! Thank you for downloading; I really appreciate it!

Just FYI I have been making some minor, untagged updates (as in they are still part of the same release, v0.9) such as making the Laythe glow clouds optional (separating into its own config) and adding Tylo support for Realistic Atmospheres, so if interested watch the timestamp of the configs zip in the release. (I also need to include the gallery for surface visuals.) Up as of 5/10/2023 @ 1:30am EST.

Does IO Visuals work with the new EVE and Scatterer which allow for volumetric clouds which blackrack has pre-released on Patreon? As I understand, configs need to be reworked somewhat.

All the configs are designed for the current public releases of EVE (1.11.7.1) and Scatterer (0.0838). I have not used any pre-release versions of either mod. At the present moment I don't intend to support 3D volumetric clouds when they do release but if I need to update the mod for functionality or if the volumetric clouds prove simple enough to write configs for, I will revisit this. Some of the stuff I've seen blackrack post does look incredible so I would love to support it, but there would also have to be a need for a difference in aesthetic from AVP & Spectra if/when they update for an update to even really be warranted.

(Personally I think the current "volumetric" clouds provide some pretty good shots)

Spoiler

3XSwNOY.png

Also, will it work alongside Parallax by Linx?

I have tested both with and without Parallax (and OPM Parallax) and there should be minimal artifacting. Let me know if you think or see that some incompatibility exists and I will try to address it.

Edited by Iodyne

@Iodyne I wanted to say a big thank you for the work you did put in those principia configs, as well as those very nice packaged visuals configs, giving MPE and others some love ! :)

Little questions : Why did you redo from scratch the OPM visuals, are the ones your provide much different from "stock" AVP ?
same question for Extrasolar ! any enhancements/differences from his author's work ?

Peace

Edited by kurgut

11 hours ago, kurgut said:

@Iodyne I wanted to say a big thank you for the work you did put in those principia configs, as well as those very nice packaged visuals configs, giving MPE and others some love ! :)

Little questions : Why did you redo from scratch the OPM visuals, are the ones your provide much different from "stock" AVP ?
same question for Extrasolar ! any enhancements/differences from his author's work ?

Thank you! They did take some time so I appreciate the recognition :)

For starters, I began making these configs before AVP even had support for OPM. But even as of now, the AVP visuals for OPM are pretty bare bones. I believe the gas giants only have 1 unique layers of clouds (as opposed to Jool's 7), and not much going for Tekto or Thatmo either. The visuals AVP provides are not bad by any means but do feel less comprehensive. Additionally, IO Visuals uses a selection of AVP configs and textures as a template (for stock system, OPM, extrasolar, and the rest) but also utilizes visuals from Stock Visual Enhancements and Pood's OPM Visual Overhaul due to my personal preference for their aesthetics. Namely, SVE offers thicker-appearing, more substantial, and more classically stylized clouds, whilst Pood's OPMVO offers a unique feel to the outer planets with slight recolours for the gas giants and a polar storm for Sarnus. Additionally (for stock, OPM, and the other packs), IO Visuals modifies existing AVP configs for general improvements (e.g. alpha values for dust, cloud heights) and bug fixes (e.g. removal of glow as it causes visual glitches on non-atmospheric bodies), and adds new configs as well (e.g. haze).

Also of note: many of the scatterer files for the planets in AVP are quite fine, and in fact probably match up a bit better with their proper atmospheric heights. However, I made a decision to focus on a more realistic appearance with IO Visuals. How this manifests is that because the planets are 1/10 scale of their real-life counterparts, but this scale is not exactly preserved with the atmospheres; in-game, scatterer atmosphere heights (the HR value in scatterer configs) appear far too tall/large compared to their real-life analogues. The large, hazy glows on bodies do not look like the well-defined, marble-like edges of real planets (see the reference gallery).

As for Extrasolar, the scatterer files included in EXVE are outdated and do not function as intended with the new version of scatterer. IO Visuals supplies up-to-date configs for scatterer, and  with EVE extends the visual aesthetic of AVP/SVE/Pood'sOPMVO to the Extrasolar bodies. EXVE only supplied some basic clouds to some of the planets, whereas IO-Visuals modifies these and supplies new configs including: AVP-style multilayered clouds for Heba and Lomina, AVP-style auroras, dust, geysers, AVP- and SVE-style lightning, haze, and more.

Check out the gallery or install it to try it out! It is designed so you can just install it into GameData and not have to touch your AVP installation at all. Simply delete IO-Visuals if you want to go back to AVP. I'd be happy to help you curate which features you'd be interested in keeping or not (since I see you use both AVP and Spectra). (Also, IO Visuals (optionally, on by default) uses Spectra's bioluminescent clouds for Laythe!)

1 hour ago, Iodyne said:

Thank you! They did take some time so I appreciate the recognition :)

For starters, I began making these [...] I'd be happy to help you curate which features you'd be interested in keeping or not (since I see you use both AVP and Spectra). (Also, IO Visuals (optionally, on by default) uses Spectra's bioluminescent clouds for Laythe!)

Thanks for your very detailled detailed reply !

Please excuse me ! I completly missed the second post of this thread where you indeed detail IO visuals as well as provding a gallery !! (could maybe use a link/spoiler tab in the first post to redirect people there and avoid them missing those handy infos, for people like me  :D

Ooh that's very, very neat indeed, what a work of love ! I'm definitely going to switch to it. :) 

So to make this work, is installing just the IO-EVE-Textures-WithOPMVO.zip and IO-Visuals.zip from the Github release enough on its own ? Since they seem to include everything needed ? I see that you even provide AVP textures, so might I get rid of the actual AVP in my install ? As you're right, I only use it for OPM visuals since I'm using Spectra for stock. Compatibility should be easy I guess, just removing all your stock related config files.

On a side note, I discovered this interesting feature unknown to me in your Misc mod, which displays the celestial bodies SOI thanks to Kopernicus. 

Do you use that in gameplay, to get a sense of "where" is it, when planning with Principia maybe ?

Peace

Edited by kurgut

Version 0.9 has been updated as of last night. It's still version 0.9. Updates consisted of Eve overhauls, proper file pathing, and other minor changes.

On 5/12/2023 at 2:17 AM, kurgut said:

Please excuse me ! I completly missed the second post of this thread where you indeed detail IO visuals as well as provding a gallery !! (could maybe use a link/spoiler tab in the first post to redirect people there and avoid them missing those handy infos, for people like me  :D

The main post has now been updated to refer to post 2.

Ooh that's very, very neat indeed, what a work of love ! I'm definitely going to switch to it. :) 

Thank you! It was definitely a lot of time and work so I appreciate every download!

So to make this work, is installing just the IO-EVE-Textures-WithOPMVO.zip and IO-Visuals.zip from the Github release enough on its own ? Since they seem to include everything needed ? I see that you even provide AVP textures, so might I get rid of the actual AVP in my install ? As you're right, I only use it for OPM visuals since I'm using Spectra for stock. Compatibility should be easy I guess, just removing all your stock related config files.

IO-Visuals.zip is the configs; that is the mod. IO Visuals requires some/most of the textures from AVP. AVP Textures v1.13 is required. If you have already installed AVP you should have this already. IO-EVE-Textures-WithOPMVO.zip has all the additional textures IO Visuals needs. The only reason there is an IO-EVE-Textures.zip without OPMVO textures is if it turns out (in the foreseeable future) that I am not supposed to distribute them, I already have a package available and can just delete the WithOPMVO zip. If/When this occurs, users will need to download the assets as described in the readme. As of the most recent config update, the OPMVO textures should be optional (as in the configs will check for the folder path and if there isn't one it won't try to load them), but the planets will look a lot better (in my opinion) and as intended with the OPMVO textures. Likewise, the AVP 43k Kerbin cloud textures are now optional as well via the same mechanism. Prior to this, they were still "optional" but the configs themselves had to be deleted or disabled. Lastly, IO-Skybox.zip changes the skybox from that included in AVP to the 60°(Stock)NE_4k skybox by uschi0815 via the same mechanism.

tl;dr you need (links are direct downloads):

- IO-Visuals.zip

- IO-EVE-TexturesWithOPMVO.zip (recommended, or alternatively IO-EVE-Textures.zip)

- AVP_8kTextures.zip (you can probably download the lower res textures if you want)

- if you are using Extrasolar, the EXVE Textures included in that download is required

Optional:

- optional_AVP_43kKerbin.zip

- IO-Skybox.zip

On a side note, I discovered this interesting feature unknown to me in your Misc mod, which displays the celestial bodies SOI thanks to Kopernicus. 

Do you use that in gameplay, to get a sense of "where" is it, when planning with Principia maybe ?

I mainly used it when making IO-PrincipiaOrbitPatches but yeah it can be useful for seeing the farthest stable orbit. It isn't perfect because it depends where the parent body is but orbiting say the Mün, if you keep your apoapsis below the visible SOI then your orbit should be stable inside it. If say Kerbin is exactly opposite to the Mün at apoapsis then it probably wont be perfectly stable. A hill sphere is never a perfect sphere. For example, here in this image I have drawn the green oval as a mostly accurate representation hill sphere of Earth in the Sun-Earth system (ignoring the moon). The pink circle is a reference of a perfect circle for contrast. Edges of the hill "sphere" closer to the parent body terminate closer to the primary body and edges farther away terminate, well, farther away. The SOIs drawn via my config are drawn like the pink circle. So it provides a rough estimate, but rough at best and not pertinent at worst. Also something that may be undesirable is that as a debug tool, the SOI lines are always visible in scaled space view (i.e. map mode and tracking station), I believe even after pressing F2.

Spoiler

Rbpohkq.png

Lastly, I wanted to inquire whether users would appreciate all textures being included in one download (distributing textures used in AVP Textures via IO-EVE-Textures). This would mean the drag-and-drop override of existing AVP installations would not work, though perhaps standalone and add-on variants of the mod would be desirable?

Also whether support for SunflaresOfMaar Ursa Minor should stay as support or if the sunflare should be included in IO Visuals itself?

I have yet to finish the gallery for pictures taken in flight mode (non-scaled-space visuals). I'd be happy to take user-submitted photos. Just please take without TUFX.

Edited by Iodyne

• 1 month later...

@IodyneAre you still planning to add the true volumetric clouds to your visual pack (included with OPM and the other packs) once the volumetric cloud mod goes public? Just asking as this mod looks epic anyways! 

Edited by Cytauri

This project is very cool by the way, and I love what you did to the OPM planets and moons! The regular AVP textures are nice, but even 8k looks pretty pixelated for my tastes. This version is way better and looks like it could very well be real life looking! Nice job!

On 6/21/2023 at 6:31 PM, Cytauri said:

@IodyneAre you still planning to add the true volumetric clouds to your visual pack (included with OPM and the other packs) once the volumetric cloud mod goes public? Just asking as this mod looks epic anyways! 

That still remains to be seen. I will be pretty inactive for a while (that's life), but I have made implemented some minor support for volumetric when it releases. I will very likely not be producing unique configs though, but I won't outright deny it.

On 6/29/2023 at 2:51 AM, Cytauri said:

This project is very cool by the way, and I love what you did to the OPM planets and moons! The regular AVP textures are nice, but even 8k looks pretty pixelated for my tastes. This version is way better and looks like it could very well be real life looking! Nice job!

Thank you so much though, I appreciate the feedback :D

On 6/29/2023 at 3:35 AM, Cytauri said:

Also, are you going to make Parallax 2.0 scatter configs for the OPM planets?

I would direct you to OPM Parallax.

14 minutes ago, Iodyne said:

I would direct you to OPM Parallax

I meant scatter like the rocks and the trees. When I tested the OPM Parallax, it only has the better ground textures and PQS. I was just wondering if you or someone else were making a ground scatter config for OPM using Parallax 2.0. Thanks for the detailed reply, great work!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 11:19 PM, Cytauri said:

I meant scatter like the rocks and the trees. When I tested the OPM Parallax, it only has the better ground textures and PQS. I was just wondering if you or someone else were making a ground scatter config for OPM using Parallax 2.0. Thanks for the detailed reply, great work!

Ah, yes I did take a crack at it but didn't give it more than a cursory look and could not figure it out. Perhaps the author of OPM Parallax would make them. Or you could give it a shot with the parallax tool.

1 hour ago, Iodyne said:

Ah, yes I did take a crack at it but didn't give it more than a cursory look and could not figure it out. Perhaps the author of OPM Parallax would make them. Or you could give it a shot with the parallax tool.

I could try, that does sound a little bit easy. Thanks for your reply.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2023 at 8:03 PM, warcrimeswilly said:

if you are still supporting this mod, it would be nice if you added configs for corelian to have AVP textures

Sorry, but at the present moment I do not intend to add any additional support for other planet packs. This may change but don't count on it. I already decided to uninclude the half-worked GEP stuff I had done.

On 10/7/2023 at 5:57 PM, warcrimeswilly said:

This is a very good mod! thank you its exactly what i needed! however, the installation instructions could be a little more clear, to me they were pretty confusing

Glad to hear it! Sorry if the instructions were unclear. Let me know how I could have worded it better. Thanks for the feedback!

Hello Sir, 

Loving your principia configs, really appreciate your hard work.  I would love to install your visual pack, but I'm running blackrack's clouds and I dont know how to make them play nice.  Just another vote from me that will hopefully inspire you to make a compatible graphics pack :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2023 at 4:54 PM, RiceCakes85 said:

Hello Sir, 

Loving your principia configs, really appreciate your hard work.  I would love to install your visual pack, but I'm running blackrack's clouds and I dont know how to make them play nice.  Just another vote from me that will hopefully inspire you to make a compatible graphics pack :)

Thanks! Really glad to hear you enjoy it!

I don't have the best ability to confirm compatibility at the present moment, and until blackrack's 3D clouds become public, I have no intention of releasing out-of-the-box support. The easiest thing for you to do as a user of both is to delete the "IO-EVE" folder from within "IO-Visuals" (found in "GameData/Iodyne"), or at least deleting the "Stock" folder within that. I can't guarantee if that is all that is necessary. The only other thing I can recall that you'll need to do is that the file "GameData/Iodyne/IO-Visuals/IO-Scatterer/IO-SunflaresOfMaar-UrsaMinor.cfg" has a commented out line of code that needs to be put back in (by deleting the "//" at the start of the line) to get the sunflare working. The other scatterer files have all been tweaked to look ideal both with and without blackrack's 3D clouds (particularly Eve's). Let me know if that works. Sorry I can't be more helpful. This release was more just to put my work out there rather than to maintain it in the coming future, especially with 3D clouds on their way.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi installed these mods that you posted but I have no clouds in game....I also have scatterer installed and mosule manager but thats it. 

- IO-Visuals.zip

- IO-EVE-TexturesWithOPMVO.zip (recommended, or alternatively IO-EVE-Textures.zip)

- AVP_8kTextures.zip (you can probably download the lower res textures if you want)

- if you are using Extrasolar, the EXVE Textures included in that download is required

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2023 at 3:51 PM, SmokeFan said:

Hi installed these mods that you posted but I have no clouds in game....I also have scatterer installed and mosule manager but thats it. 

- IO-Visuals.zip

- IO-EVE-TexturesWithOPMVO.zip (recommended, or alternatively IO-EVE-Textures.zip)

- AVP_8kTextures.zip (you can probably download the lower res textures if you want)

Do you have EVE installed? The mod itself not just my texture pack.

• 2 months later...

Is possible to mod Corelian receive same treatment as OPM and MPE?? If you have time and will. I like yours work very much.

Using textures other than 8k brings spam of this

[ERR 10:33:11.142] Graphics.CopyTexture called with mismatching texture sizes (src 8192x4096x1 dst 8192x8192x1)

Edited by Syczek

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2024 at 11:43 PM, Syczek said:

Is possible to mod Corelian receive same treatment as OPM and MPE?? If you have time and will. I like yours work very much.

Please see my post here: 

On 3/2/2024 at 11:43 PM, Syczek said:

Using textures other than 8k brings spam of this

[ERR 10:33:11.142] Graphics.CopyTexture called with mismatching texture sizes (src 8192x4096x1 dst 8192x8192x1)

I don't see any difference in the files between the different resolutions of AVP Textures (other than resolution of course). As such I do not know if there is anything in my configs that could be causing this, nor how to fix it. Sorry I couldn't be of any more help.