What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I did this like last weekend, but I still wanted to let you guys know about it!

uqfIis9.png

This was my first attempt at landing on Eve. I sent it down as one piece, and (intentionally) broke it apart into 3 with the help of parachutes. All the parts seemed to have landed, when the main rocket tipped over just after touchdown. I have the deadly re-entry mod installed which makes it so you require heat shields for entering the atmosphere for planets, and the shields i had installed did not cover the landing gear ... oops!

44QmA6n.png

I sent a rescue mission with proper shielding, and managed to land it within 15 km of the first landing site. I could have gotten it closer, but I was happy enough with this. It took me about 2 hours (like 4 hours in-game) to run both Kerbals across the surface of Eve tho XD.

GGmrjop.png

Refueling the return rocket is going to take forever. And I honestly doubt whether I'll be able to make it into a stable orbit. I got scared it would tip over like the other one, so I tried to make it smaller. I only barely managed to get into orbit around Kerbin with it, and Eve has so much more gravity and atmosphere... Gonna give it a go, though.

Edited by Flayer

Ah... you have to upload your images to an image-hosting website before linking them - the link to their local location on your C: drive is no good to us here.

Try CubeUpload, it's simple to use.

Today I sent another interplanetary tanker to orbit and used it immediately to send some fuel to the future Eve lander which is still orbiting Kerbin... The refuelling mission was not as boring as the previous one, since I could do a gravity assist at the Mun. Just two more refilling missions, then the lander is ready for the transfer to Eve orbit, where the refuelling will continue...

I also did a quick test of the ship that will hopefully go to Moho in about 14 days. Mounting the lander between the two transfer stages seems to be a good idea, because this allows me to control the ship from a position close to where the center of mass is during launch, what reduces wobbling (a lot). The only drawback was, that I need the engines above the lander for the deceleration burn, so I had to be careful not to block their exhaust with parts of the lander, preventing me from using three-fold symmetry. I'll make some screenshots when that mission is really ready to start.

Last night I started working on a replica of Virgin Galactic's White Knight 2 Launcher. This one is carrying a small dummy Spaceship 2, will be working on an interplanetary SS2 today :)

-snip-

Alfondoo,

Clearly, great minds think alike. I came here to post a little rocket plane I was working on yesterday:

-​snip-

I was so inspired by you guys, that I had to try it out myself. I even got imgur for this occasion.

I present to you, my interpretation of White Knight Two and SpaceShipOne.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

-Khorso

Edited by Khorso
Fixed IMGUR embedding.

Today I got my Mun recolonization underway for real, first landing a simple lander so at least one Kerbal can hightail it if things go pear-shaped later; then dropping the first of two rovers with my new skycrane, which it turns out works a lot better on the Mun than it did on Kerbin where I first ran test flights for it.

Played around with the 64bit stuff until a decoupler crashed it.

After sending up a lander and replacing the ill-balanced science pods (I plan to strap one to the lander and bring it back to be cleaned), my largest ship to date is now ready to go wherever I decide to point it. It's in two sections, the cruising stage and the return stage. The return stage is outfitted with docking ports so that the cruising stage can be swapped for a new one if need be, and 4 external command seats in case I need the extra seating space for the ride home. It's currently manned by 4 Kerbals, so one more than the return stage can technically hold. Not really an oversight, I just didn't want to put a hitchhiker container on it if I didn't have to.

KSP2014-06-0418-25-23-56.jpg~original

Played around with adding a large-ish fuel module to my station in 200km orbit.

KSP2014-06-0522-14-02-46.jpg~original

The station isn't finished of course. I want to add a couple more hitchhiker containers, an RCS pod, and a solar array. I'll probably ditch the bottom tank and make it symmetrical with the top section also... Unless my framerate starts to become painful. Thought about using the Kerbodyne tanks up there but it just wouldn't have looked right!

Edit to avoid post spamming & swap old station pic for new one: It's no ISS, but the station is coming along nicely. I'm still debating exactly what to do with the bottom section. Either way the solitary tank is most likely going bye-bye, but I might need to dedicate that area to a docking hub for spacecraft. You know, so I can actually use all that fuel I stocked it with. lol... Or I might be able to use one of the ports toward the middle since I "should" have one left over.

KSP2014-06-0603-24-03-34.jpg~original

Edited by Duke23

Well, it was yesterday, but I turned to the dark side, I installed FAR, B9, Tac, DRE, ATM, and Engineer.

Thinking of putting the entire RO pack in there.

I don't consider it cheating, i'm making the game harder (well except for engineer, but I was doing all of the calculations with my python programs anyway)

It's a single player game anyway.

Housekeeping:

Got my Kethan Transport from its 80x8000km orbit to dock with my KSS at 300x300 with lots of light aerobreaking for lack of fuel and heat shielding.

Landed the Explorer II drive stage next to the Duna Explorer at my Minmus nuke-drive-ship-graveyard.

Also checked my Eve probe waiting for its transfer window in LKO and noticed it had way more fuel in the remaining ascend stage still to offer the possibility of an earlier launch - recovering the fuel would be more wasteful than just using it.

I decided it's time to rescue the stranded kerbals on Laythe, so I've started building a boat. Right now I can't go faster than 30m/s without loosing parts, but I've got plenty of time until the next launch window.

I began work on the Starflight Prototype, a ship in my Starflight series of starships.that will be the first large enough to carry probes, shuttles, and landers. Need more Science to finish it though....

I also successfully hopped landing spots on Minmus for surface samples and built Starflight VI, the first starship for me to use nuke engines for interplanetary travel. The former was successful but the latter...we will try to recover the bodies once the launchpad stops glowing.

Made use of the tonne of new parts I got from the NearFuture mods (I can highly recommend all of them) to build my first manned interplanetary craft, the Odyssey II (Odyssey I was a probe) and very happy to say that it performed very well on its maiden voyage by taking Jebediah, Seanfred and Billy-Bobbrett Kerman to Duna and then safely home again :D probably go for Eve next, then will have to work on a new design to take them further. Also put another module on my Kerbal space station Aurora

did my single launch&return mission to eve w/o docking

M9uwQLv.jpg

8rCKmZs.png

eW3TXrH.png

M5EHSmj.png

Ge9wimF.png

Uu9ONAR.jpg

cUmzZEr.png

including a small flight on eve to collect a sample of the liquid oceans.

full vid here:

<embed src="http://swf.vidup.de/v/zTPka/" height="295" width="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"><div style="margin:0; text-align:center; width:480px;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:10px;"><a style="color:#000000;" title="Video Hosting: Eve and back w/o docking" href="http://www.vidup.de/v/zTPka/'>http://www.vidup.de/v/zTPka/">Eve and back w/o docking...</a> | <a style="color:#000000;" href="http://www.vidup.de/" title="Kostenlose hochqualitative Videospeicherung.">vidup.de: Kostenlose hochqualitative Videospeicherung.</a></div>

I started a new career for the month (don't worry I'll soon have my orbital construction platforms operational again). So far I'm up to farming Science off Minmus. Here's the progress on it:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This career is the first to feature use of landing lights to allow landing on the darkside of Minmus. The ships are 99.99% stock (with the sole exception of the Kerbal Engineer part).