What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I was testing my Duna Surveyor series satellite prototype, I put it on a launch vehicle and successfully launched it in to a 500km x 100km orbit. At Apokee I did a short retro burn to lower the perikee to about 25km so I could ditch the last launch vehicle stage to Kerbin and jettisoned it. The seperatrons on it did their job and hurled it away from the satellite. I fired up the satellite's stationkeeping motor to circularize the 500km orbit.... and promptly plowed in to my deorbiting launch vehicle. Cue big boom!

4vuh5ae.png

I now have a pile of debris on a helpful reentry trajectory so it will clean itself up. Oops. Well, at least I know she probably would have made it to the destination orbit intact...

Matt

Finally was able to do some Badlands Science (well, crew report, EVA, surface sample, temp, barometric pressure, and seismology), NOT with Jebediah Kerman!

But with Bill Kerman!

Badlands Science done with anything OTHER than a rocket is tough (even with the Kethane Mod), both because of distance and endurance (it was done in a two-part trip, the first part ending near sunset and needing to fuel up. Also the Kethane field I used for the trip is already dried up, after two uses), and I was able to do it with a tough and fas Kethane-hybrid jet.

(total science: 36 points)

Today I launched a >1000 ton ship (on the pad at least) into orbit. But that was just the test launch. Next time we're heading to Jool to suck it dry of SCIENCE!

This is easily the hardest thing I've ever done in the game.

Funny, I launched a 331 ton rocket to try and get a Jool Encounter (non payload probe, with science/scansat).

Today was a light day, launched ScanSAT mapping satellite prototype in to a polar orbit. De-orbited the first ScanSAT mapping satellite prototype. And also launched a lander for a new Mun mission. The Mustang class has now been updated to Mustang 2b, first launch will be soon to dock with the new lander. This new Mustang will be christened the "Coral Sea". I also fueled the Mustang "Yorktown" waiting in orbit for the upcoming Jool mission.

Today was a day of various trial builds. Poor Splat Kerman lived up to his name testing new landers and rescue vehicles.

Launching the core of the Tylo lander for testing...

a753Z4t.jpg

Splat cooling his heels in Lathes oceans after a fouled up aero braking maneuver.

WpabmrU.png

The rocket refueler lost with poor splat attached.

la8vhge.jpg

Only the Great Macgyver flew today without incident...

EHLn78m.jpg

Edited by sumrex

(Continuation of this post.)

I have much to tell about my exploits at Jool! I stepped it up during this mission as far as MJ usage goes, as in I used it less. I don't like using it for things I just don't know how to do or things I'm bad at (but have no problem letting it teach me); I much prefer using it to do things that make me feel like I'm watching paint dry. I did most of the important stuff by hand and got MJ to do the tedious stuff like turning the massive ships around and completing long burns. Anyway I didn't feel comfortable landing manned on Laythe this mission so I ended up skipping that.

I realized I was going to land ON the science stuff, so I opted to turn around and mount it to the top of the lander.

KSP2014-06-0819-43-14-68.jpg~original

No real point to this one, I just like this screenshot.

KSP2014-06-0821-00-10-27.jpg~original

My lander ended up being a little sluggish in turns and acceleration but it worked out nicely for Vall so I knew I could at least hit Vall, Pol, and Bop. This looks like a good place to build a base if I get brave.

KSP2014-06-0819-53-34-28.jpg~original

I had no intentions of landing here this mission but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to run by and take a look. I used the lander because it seemed like a waste of time and fuel to bring the whole cruiser.

KSP2014-06-0821-20-51-66.jpg~original

I actually got nervous while I was planning out my maneuvers to get to Bop so I opted to skip it for now and hit Pol. I actually never did go to Bop because of its orbit, I was scared I wouldn't have enough fuel.

I swear to the Kraken I accidentally reversed my orbit of Pol in the cruiser (I have proof of this, I think!). Anyway here is when I came in for the landing. Are those... big piles of poo?

KSP2014-06-0822-34-24-53.jpg~original

The gravity of the situation is... Well, not much.

KSP2014-06-0822-37-13-08.jpg~original

Not many places you can rendezvous like this without wasting a bunch of fuel.

KSP2014-06-0822-45-33-86.jpg~original

Data in the main command module? Check. All probes crashed in an upright position? Check. Err, sort of. Okay, let's get rid of this lander. I left the science module on there while I swung around Pol one last time to get the "near" data with the science jr.

KSP2014-06-0823-09-35-75.jpg~original

I was able to burn with the cruising stage out of Jool's SOI and within about 300m/s of an intercept path with Kerbin. I actually didn't set up my transfer window at all so I probably used a little extra DV than I needed to so I could get there without floating around in Kerbol orbit for a while. That or I got really lucky.

Almost forgot to get my guys out of the science lab, but they started yelling over the radios. I ended up not using the external seats and instead put one in the escape pod and one in the main module. Good job boys, time to go home! I was thinking this ship pictured here had around 4500 DV for some reason but it turns out it had right at 7000 at separation fully fueled with only an escape pod attached, so I could have gone to Bop after all if I had the patience. Oh well, too late now.

KSP2014-06-0823-33-42-08.jpg~original

I came in way too shallow on my aerocapture attempt and it ended up shedding a negligible amount of speed. Had to kick in the main engines to keep from shooting past Kerbin at ~4500m/s.

KSP2014-06-0900-00-04-37.jpg~original

KSP2014-06-0900-01-10-21.jpg~original

I managed to close the trajectory outside of Minmus so I took a break and went for another round of aerobraking and fired up the engines again, eventually stopping in a ~1500km orbit.

Bartbree: "Hey, get out of my escape pod! I wasn't even supposed to be on this mission!"

KSP2014-06-0900-24-17-62.jpg~original

Why do I have a feeling this is just going to explode when I throttle up... Oh wait, there's not even any fuel in it. Stupid docking ports and their crossfeed! Had to redock for a minute to fuel up then headed down.

KSP2014-06-0900-27-27-21.jpg~original

Everything turned out better than expected. Silly little escape pod. My next ship is going to be so big my escape pod has an escape pod! Seriously though, I have an idea for my next Jool ship. Don't expect to see it any time too soon because it will probably end up in pieces on the launchpad or shortening the lifespan of my CPU.

KSP2014-06-0900-32-52-17.jpg~original

And I got a metric buttload of science out of it. Also here lies my proof that something weird happened at Pol: The bottom where it says "return of craft from suborbital flight on Pol". Which is weird because that craft was on the main command pod for the entire mission (obviously, it's in every screenshot) but it didn't give me anything for returning a vessel from orbit of _____. None of them. Just that. Still though, Mission Success!

KSP2014-06-0900-34-24-97.jpg~original

Edited by Duke23

Not much yesterday, but still took some time.

Designed a lander for a Jool expedition (a new one, again) able to land on all moons - for Tylo it will need a top-mounted assist stage for landing, as the dV on the lander is only enough for landing OR takeoff.

Kethane refueling will be done by a separate mining-lander drilling into the smaller moons.

This might become one of the biggest ships I assembled in KSP.

Brought home the crew and the first Mayflower class ship from a Pol expedition, my first manned Jool mission.

The Mayflower is now parked in Kerbin orbit, ready to have the xenon tanks topped off and get sent out to Duna with a new crew. Meanwhile, a second generation ship has been built using the 4000 science brought home from Pol. Will edit in pictures later.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Floppster

I launched Starflight VI, the first of my Starflight series of ships to use LV-N engines for travel and landing. Like nearly all of the others in the series she carries all of my unlocked science equipment and a science module. This upgrade added a Klaw as well.

Her mission was to reach a Class E that had entered Kerbins SoI and dock with it, to see how much science could be earned. Unfortunately the contact vanished shortly after liftoff so she was redirected to Minmus to assist the science program there.

An easy landing turned tragic when what appeared to be a flat surface turned out to be on a slight slope. The ship listed on contact and had to throttle up to prevent toppling. The takeoff at that angle forced maneuvering through the valley until a wing clipped the wall and tore off, it's attached goo experiment smashing into an engine and making it almost impossible to right the ship. I managed to get the nose up and make a soft crash landing, saving the Krewmen but snapping the ship along the seal to the science bay, leaving intact debris spread out across aabout a mile.

This post brought to you courtesy of Boredom Inc., motto: "We do stuff".

The Jool-5 Challenge is popular, and we at Boredom Inc. have made it our everyday quest to follow in to the masses' footsteps, go with the flow, that sort of thing. You know.

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/v8u7h/embed"></iframe>

More to come soon enough, let's hope our testing was thorough enough.

Meanwhile, the Association of Retro Rockets Enthousiasts unveiled its proudest (and only) achievement, the Plowfishâ„¢. They had a contract for deorbiting the useless Drupe Space Station, and recover its current crew. Possibly not in this order, pretty please. Mission was fulfilled flawlessly, although the SSTO was not quite totally recovered:

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/OJnHE/embed"></iframe>

While this was unfolding, the Intrepid Club registered its very first casualty in 28 years of reckless activity, of perilous missions and of never setting any abort sequence at all: while deorbiting his Jool Visit ship (it had all the wrong stages so interplanetary injection was cancelled), Wilbal Kerman unwittingly triggered the wrong decoupling, then failed to board the chute-equipped stage while burning through the atmosphere because the silly thing had no ladder. We lost track of him when he got engulfed in scorching plasma, though we did get a brief echo that matched his last known trajectory somewhere in the mountain ranges on the western continent. He is MIA until further notice.

I launched a ship so big, when I try to jump to it from the tracking station KSP won't load it.

10 minutes and counting...

EDIT: It loaded! Whew! I think I may need to do some mid-mission part count cutting. Trim the fat as it were.

Edited by 5thHorseman

I launched a ship so big, when I try to jump to it from the tracking station KSP won't load it.

10 minutes and counting...

EDIT: It loaded! Whew! I think I may need to do some mid-mission part count cutting. Trim the fat as it were.

Yeah I have to admit, I'm looking at moving my KSP to a solid state disk to.speed up.load times on big ships. I looked at my system metrics during a long load and it was almost all drive read times.

Today I glued radiators, reactor and transmiter... And got orbital wireless power supply station! Aweswome!

JwTcolu.jpg

Also I have weird idea to launch buch of sattelites with big ammount of solar pannels and trancievers and put them on Kerbin's GEO orbit.

I'm not sure what impressed me more:

- the spaceplane itself

Yeah it turned out not bad at all... xD glad you find it interesting ;-)

- the fact that your computer can apparently handle it with no problem

The flight footage was accelerated by 10 times. I was playing at about half the real speed, and got a bit laggy when recording.

- the fact that it flew perfectly the very first time

I've shaped several crafts in a similar way already, so I pretty much knew what would work... xD

- the fact that you didn't save ONCE during construction

Oh don't be silly now, I was saving every few seconds, pressing the button at least 3 times in a row, to be certain i've pressed it! x-)

managed to forget how to fly a rocket, let alone how to transfer to anything. I found that going to .23.5 somehow broke ME as a player. I cant seem to build a rocket now to save my life, let alone how to build a refueling rocket to fuel the rocket that is meant to catch an asteroid. I feel so ashamed right now.

17yr Jool probe mission

<iframe src="http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/aramil1701/story/25789/embed" width="650" height="400" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Edited by aramil