What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

The increasingly "parochial" attitude of the Duna dirtside team has led to increased priority being given to bringing a crew rotation system into place. Thanks to data from the Deliverance landings a simulator has been developed to allow risk free testing without waiting for those annoying transfer windows etc.

The Super Bunny DEV ( Duna Excursion Vehicle ) has now lost its main chute and gained a nose docking port as the tests showed it was quite capable of landing using just drogue chutes and a tad more power. As it is meant to be refuelled dirtside this is not a problem. Further tests to see if removing the drogues is possible are planned.

screenshot128_zpss1rlwtdz.png

Simulations were also carried out using the MOAR ( Modular Orbital Assistance Rocket ) system designed to be field assembled from palletised kits.

screenshot129_zpskhpjspjj.png

Whilst everyone agrees it looks good some feel that 250 m/s isn't worth a Deliverance mission whilst others point out you could take a lifetime supply of parts in one go or stick a few kits on the back of another mission. The jury is currently out on this one. Probably watching the A Team for inspiration.

On the actual getting it there front the DEV was mated to the business end of a Chelonean and successfully flown ( shown without fairings for clarity ).

screenshot134_zpsob6j7cor.png

The system is designed to shuttle between Minmus and Duna with the DEV refuelled at both ends and the transfer vehicle at Minmus.

In clear example of mission creep a crew bus and hab were unveiled.screenshot133_zpsyd4qxhia.png

The bus is intended to ferry crews to and from the DEV and with its containerised pack of science equipment can also carry out contracts leaving the Science Bus on site. The hab doubles as an extra battery/solar farm with the panels ground deployed so they don't spoil the view.

Edited by dangerhamster

Brought back a Munar tourist flight by the barest of fuel margins (that tourist got more excitement than she had bargained for-- I hope she doesn't ding the program too bad on KerbNet), fulfilled a rescue contract that'd I'd accepted purely because the name of the rescuee amused me ("Sisxie"), and designed a new rover that doesn't depend on EAS-1 seating (because I've had some trouble that I now think might be EAS-related).

I streamed on Twitch.tv for about 4 hours last night, all prep work for an upcoming Grand Tour. I finished testing of my Eve lander/ascender, built my ISRU ship that can land everywhere I need ISRU (including Moho and Duna), built my non-isru lander for landing on places that don't actually need ISRU (including Tylo), and built my Laythe plane because if you're going to Laythe, you can't not bring a plane.

I'd say it was a pretty productive 4 hours.

@PTNLemay The red exhaust is stock LV-N's with Real Plume Stock exhaust.

rf4G3L7.png?1
After spending a few days on Laythe to wait for the Dauntless/Valerie stack to pass overhead again, Elizabeth returned to Laythe orbit to rendezvous with them.

hds282n.png?1

The crews of all three ships then transferred to Valerie (along with lots of science data and all the remaining fuel) for the trip back to Kerbin. Dauntless and Elizabeth will remain in Laythe orbit.

lCw69AF.png?1

Valerie departed Laythe for Pol at the next opportunity.

YrR2rSx.png?1

The landing on Pol was tricky. Normally I let MechJeb handle this sort of thing, but Valerie was running low on both oxidizer for its Vernors and electricity for its (feeble) reaction wheels, so I had to do the landing manually. And by "manually" I mean manually: no auto-land, no SmartASS, not even stock SAS because all of those are pretty inefficient with RCS propellant.

WRyKzRX.png?1

Bob: first Kerman on Pol!

Making a space bus for my current mission to Duna to bring Kerbals to the waiting ships in orbit.

fbb293133941f9ac0b65cea268259dbe.png

I'm gonna revert after this test launch, because I still need to put things on her.

Edit: .....and success :)

391c134709df0cbf29d1f61d795ccd01.png

Edited by Draconiator

Sporadically over the weekend I put some time into my career save.  I had abandoned it until reading the news that the good folk at Squad are creating ways to not break saves going forward; I was waiting for the new version to drop but now can press on forward.  It's still early on...

Waiting for launch windows for Duna and Eve, over a year to wait, so in the meantime building up a little infrastructure around the local system and fulfilling the roster of Kerbonauts through rescue contracts.  Had contracts to put very basic stations around Kerbin and its moons.  Here's the Kerbin one along with its launch engines detached, and a ship I used to fulfill a Minmus base contract that is now in service as a rescue ship about to dock; I call it MiniHut.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%205.01.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-26%20at%205.38.0

After several weeks of zipping around the system picking up stranded Kerbals and housing them in the station I needed to bring them home.  Here's a funky little craft that is two ships in one; a lifeboat to bring Kerbals home, and a fuel tank to rescue MiniHut as she couldn't quite make it back to the station after several mistakes in a Mimus mission. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-27%20at%2012.51.

Here's the lifeboat returning to solid ground, splashdown was quite close to the deserted island.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-27%20at%201.03.5

Two other contracts came up to expand Kerbin Stayshun.  One to add a lab, and one to expand its crew and electrical capacity.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-28%20at%209.26.5

After more tooling around the system, another ship to drop more hitchhikers home...

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-28%20at%2010.09.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-28%20at%2010.21.

And lastly, after getting impatient and time warping several months ahead and transmitting science from my Mun and Minmus bases, there was a contract to expand crew capacity of my Minmus Stayshun, so I built a little nuc powered ship that will also be used to move around the local system.  

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-29%20at%2012.30.

Screen%20Shot%202016-02-29%20at%2012.52.

Today i continued to work on my micro rover concept and decided to bring it along on my upcoming Duna mission. Besides updating the wheels, i also built a science trailer. A C.L.A.W. trailer will follow.

ke48JMR.png

x99yP1Z.png

Yes, they are small of size, but still it is a challenge to fit them into one of my constellation landers. One design flay currently is, that i have to undock the trailer, before Kerbals can enter and exit in the field.

Edited by Frank_G

16 minutes ago, qromodynmc said:

I was messing with Scatterers latest version, then this bug happened. I kinda liked it though.

z5VpN6.jpg

I'm fine with this in the summer...I'm gonna beyotch and complain like a 2 year old in winter. Working in snow and -20C temps is NOT my idea of fun.

1 minute ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

So then, a B-32.5? How'd you get the front so nicely rounded?

Procedural Parts mod, there is a procedural nosecone in it, you can change shape of the nosecone. Texture is mine though, i dont like original textures of procedural parts.

We're ready to head to Duna.  the KSS Jeb is EASILY the most beautiful ship I've ever made I think,

21be521640ed7ae3337029e050ec403a.png

Jebediah HIMSELF is even piloting it.  Bill gets the second bridge behind the first.

And she has 2900 dV

Edited by Draconiator

Tonight was fairly productive.

• Orbital Transfer Cruiser was manned up and received a berthing extension for landing craft/resupply drones. After some quick adjustments to the port outboard thruster it's ready for a trial transfer to the Mun
  • Meanwhile, back at the ranch - First successful training flight in the new supersonic single seat training craft was completed. Probably the most stable craft I've ever built - it's very forgiving. Great for larking around.
  • Shakedown flight of an experimental vessel 'inspired' by an F-16XL. The wing design intrigued me. It's fairly unstable at slow speeds and allows for some pretty crazy supermanoeuvres, although full loss of control was surprisingly difficult to initiate. Expensive lessons learned on first and second landings; narrow envelope of landing speed resulted in a few wave-offs and eventual 'abrasion' of the aft on the runway. Oops.

@Snark

Finally Orbited Laythe!!!   :D

It was a b...  sore trial.  Twice I had encounters set-up when un-plotted interference from Tylo disrupted them, but I finally had a 46km aerobrake set-up across her face which lead to a plausible burn for orbit.  This was my biggest moment since successfully docking, though my Duna 'balled mission is set to go in the next transfer window if all goes well.