What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

6 hours ago, Sharpy said:

Yesterday, the runway arrived at KSC2.

And it even looks good, what's it made of? I'm asking on behalf of my kerbonists on Tellumo, as they won't shut up about it, and refuse to manufacture anything else but snacks unless they get the blueprints to it.

FINALLY! T_T

After having spent a good 2 weeks of designing SSTO's I managed to make one that ACTUALLY WORKED!

Dear god that was the most horrible, aggravating and painful experience I've ever had.

I had to turn on Chesney Hawkes (The One and Only), rum & cola and even enlist the aid of Valentina Kerman to get this stupid thing into orbit.

To hell with dignity and pride, I ran around in my living room yelling at the top of my lounges!

20170201120759_1_zps14cgnlkx.jpg

Since I did not bother to play any career with my 1.2.2 install, I've come up with certain "restrictions" for my missions. So here I am trying to build the "cheapest booster for the job". Means: I try to build launchers and spacecraft with an eye on the total cost of the design. It's interesting what design descisions you make if you restrict your budget.

Edited by lodger
spelling

(1.1.3) RL curtailed my time to play yesterday pretty efficiently. I was able to get the ore hauler Lewis and Clark back up to the Minmusport space station and refuel it with the station's reserve tank, and I was able to get the ferry ship Next Objective docked at the Kerbinport space station, offloading five passengers and the pilot to a waiting Auk II passenger spaceplane. The Auk departed and landed safely at KSC 27, freeing up four contracts in the process. Next Objective was fueled for its next run though Kerbinport is currently a tad short on fuel for the auxiliary craft parked at the station, so an Auk III refueling plane will be sent up at the next opportunity. Replacement contracts - none of which I've committed to do just yet - are an Ant parts test at KSC, a new Minmus Outpost, mining ore at Minmus and capturing a Class C asteroid and putting it into Kerbin's orbit. Two of those sound easy, one sounds boring and the other sounds interesting; I'll let y'all know what I decide to do later on.

5 hours ago, elpollodiablo said:

And it even looks good, what's it made of? I'm asking on behalf of my kerbonists on Tellumo, as they won't shut up about it, and refuse to manufacture anything else but snacks unless they get the blueprints to it.

@Angel-125's Heisenberg runway segments, with manually added Tweakscale capability (tweakscaled to 400%), resulting in 40x40m and 40x20m segments, assembled into 80x2600m runway. Then welded into a single part using Ubiozur's Welding, and having its thermal durability increased to some 200,000K to overcome the bug that when it enters current physics bubble, its temperature rises to some 60,000K for a fraction of second.

Printing it locally may be a problem - VAB gave me an estimate time of some 2.5 giga-kerbal-hours. But a smaller, non-tweakscaled runway is totally viable, just weld it, because...

Spoiler

EcCS1ZL.png

6 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

@Angel-125's Heisenberg runway segments, with manually added Tweakscale capability (tweakscaled to 400%), resulting in 40x40m and 40x20m segments, assembled into 80x2600m runway. Then welded into a single part using Ubiozur's Welding, and having its thermal durability increased to some 200,000K to overcome the bug that when it enters current physics bubble, its temperature rises to some 60,000K for a fraction of second.

Printing it locally may be a problem - VAB gave me an estimate time of some 2.5 giga-kerbal-hours. But a smaller, non-tweakscaled runway is totally viable, just weld it, because...

Hide contents

EcCS1ZL.png

Are you using 1.2? If so, how do you get hooligan labs airships to work? My balloons won't generate any lift.

1 minute ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Are you using 1.2? If so, how do you get hooligan labs airships to work? My balloons won't generate any lift.

"Out of the box"?
 I believe newest update to 1.2.2 was released yesterday, but the 1.2(.0) version worked fine.

In VAB/SPH click the airship icon, you'll get an estimate of equilibrium altitude (max you can maintain) for current mass and balloon buoyancy. Or "won't fly" if you didn't attach enough balloons. After launching, click the same icon, check "altitude control" and click "++" a couple times (then wait until buoyancy displayed goes into positives). With heavier payloads and lots of lift it's better not to touch the slider or rightclick controls as... the balloons filled to the max at ground level can generate enough lift that they will rip free of autostrut and reach mach 2 flying upwards...

14 hours ago, Carl said:

If you have auto strut on you shouldn't be seeing such issues, or is this an old version of KSP?

I do have autostrut (it's 1.2.2.), but it's always a question what you autostrut things to. Autostrut can also be an invitation for the Kraken if you do it wrong. In this case, the best strengthening is probably between parts that are not root, grandparent or heaviest... but something else.

4 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

How do you people create such perfect rings out of those tubular modules?

Rotate tool with snap on. Each one is rotated one "click" more than the one before it. Then turn snap off and carefully adjust them with the translate tool so they line up. Takes a little finesse but not too hard once you figure it out. (At least that's the way I do it. If somebody else knows a better way I'd be curious to hear it.)

Just now, Hotaru said:

Rotate tool with snap on. Each one is rotated one "click" more than the one before it. Then turn snap off and carefully adjust them with the translate tool so they line up. Takes a little finesse but not too hard once you figure it out. (At least that's the way I do it. If somebody else knows a better way I'd be curious to hear it.)

I'll give a shot, although I may lack the patience :) Thank you! I thought there was a mod to help with angles and snapping but the only one I found is really old and not updated in a long time.

Meet the "Fat Kid". Go big or go home! LOL:) I love TweakScale! Some crazy things you can do with it!

screenshot4.png

39 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

"Out of the box"?
 I believe newest update to 1.2.2 was released yesterday, but the 1.2(.0) version worked fine.

In VAB/SPH click the airship icon, you'll get an estimate of equilibrium altitude (max you can maintain) for current mass and balloon buoyancy. Or "won't fly" if you didn't attach enough balloons. After launching, click the same icon, check "altitude control" and click "++" a couple times (then wait until buoyancy displayed goes into positives). With heavier payloads and lots of lift it's better not to touch the slider or rightclick controls as... the balloons filled to the max at ground level can generate enough lift that they will rip free of autostrut and reach mach 2 flying upwards...

Thanks, I'll try that.

51 minutes ago, Magzimum said:

I do have autostrut (it's 1.2.2.), but it's always a question what you autostrut things to. Autostrut can also be an invitation for the Kraken if you do it wrong. In this case, the best strengthening is probably between parts that are not root, grandparent or heaviest... but something else.

You can just use rigid attachment in the parts in question, too.

Last night the Moho lander and the rest of the crew was delivered to the Cascadia which made four sub-four minute burns followed by a 30 minute burn to escape Kerbin SOI and begin the journey. Two correction burns will be needed but that's what happens when you're dealing with low TWR craft. After least we have the fuel for it. Ditching the drop tanks recovered some 400m/s of delta-V and leaving the lander at Moho should allow the ship to safely return home. If not, a refueling mission would be fairly easy.

The solar panels on the Cascadia are for inner system use, there is a dormant nuclear reactor with additional fuel between the two interplanetary drives.

You can also see the Eve Exploration Vessel making its burn home. I decided a station at Eve wasn't really on the list, although a landing is in the cards.

gMQ15aK.png

MFlMoSM.png

URBBGAF.png

Y3jx79w.png

3 minutes ago, Kerbital said:

That's just badass design regex! I see some mods I'm not familiar with.

SSTU (check the Mod Development forum, it's usually on the first or second page), Near Future and Station Parts Expansion, some Space-Y stuff, B9, KSPIE, Tac LS...