What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

With the new engines, I built a stock Minotaur 5 NASA moon rocket. It flew as designed. So well, thanks to tweakable thrust, that I removed one of the RCS tanks.

74rKiWv.jpg

In close Mun orbit looking for trace gases.

qLHIbfN.jpg

Also, tested the twin engine booster. Had to add fins to the second stage due to instability of the observation capsule. However, with a three Kerbal capsule of about the same weight, second stage was stable. Removed the decoupler under the RCS tank and added a second set to complete the design. Easy two stage to orbit.

Launcher; Sepatrons needed for staging separation.

LMOO4Ko.jpg

Stable in orbit;

w1kVP5L.jpg

(The first decoupler removed and a set of thrusters added.)

Unstable stage without fins in atmosphere;

r3JEhCZ.jpg

Edited by SRV Ron

I discovered 0.23.5, updated, attempted the asteroid redirect scenario, saw many flaws in the pre-built vessel, discarded the scenario, tried the second asteroid scenario, then went on to check out the new 3.5m parts, and eh uhm heppeh.

So, now the question no longer involves Mainsails, as mainsails are no longer the most powerful thruster. Now the big question of big payloads, is "How many Clusters did it take?" Or Engine clusters, S3's. KS-25x4's, or for the noobs who wanna use the full name, S3 KS-25x4 Engine Clusters.

Today in KSP I attempted to tow an asteroid. I set my sights on a D class asteroid, and designed a ship to go pull it into Kerbin orbit. My first attempt was a bust, the engine were too close to the rock and canceled out my velocity. So for my second probe I devised a workaround

GIAoNo8l.pngESQMPi1l.png

Those four long part on the sides are mini strut-probes to create a long tow line, the one in the center is my main grabber. Each strut probe is also carrying an RCS node with a claw to plant on the surface (I figured that would help maneuvering), each equipped with RCS fuel, jets, and a big solar panel (so my rock can have power!). The center probe is the attachment point.

Now I did succeed in intercepting my target (took a few tries, lining up that encounter was tough), and I managed to dock the attachment node. Unfortunately due to my failure to notice the RCS drain from the small tanks first (come on KSP, what gives?) I lost one strut probe when it ran out of fuel. But I did manage to dock all the others - which was not an easy task because I only gave them linier RCS jets, and none of those were facing along their primary axis.

Then came time to dock the ship, and in perfect Kerbal fashion. . . It ran out of RCS. Not to worry! I managed to do it inter engine power only.

nwAJofpl.png

I was able to use the small side engines to rotate my asteroid into position and burn till I managed to get captured. Unfortunately the stability of my control system with the long tow cable. . . wasn't great. I attempted to turn for another maneuver to bring down the long side of my orbit, but I couldn't stabilize it enough.

zPIGdHOl.png

My ship is swinging around like crazy on that, the swing actually generates acceleration causing my orbit to oscillate nearly a million meters at it's AP. I had to undock to get the game to let me save. I shot a quick video of the crazy rocking, as the image just doesn't do it justice:

I intend to follow up with another mission, this time I think I will go with pushing rather than pulling. Probably a set of engine mounts around the asteroid (to cut down on turning), and then I will try to circularize and adjust my plane. I would like to get this thing at a nice circular 3 million meter equatorial orbit. But that's going to mean a lot of fuel.

But hey, I captured it! That means future missions will be all the easier.

Remember my giant asteroid I dragged to LKO? Now its parked at a 100km orbit, with an extra triple-claw dock, ready to be science'd!

I'm loving those docks. The six panel design looks great. I might do something like that with my asteroid (above).

I was only halfway through career when I decided to at least look at the asteroids. Found one coming really close to Kerbin so I decided ti watch it. It actually swung in and got captured into Kerbin's SOI. I figured this was a good chance to go get some science off of it.

BAC50068D40FDF5C23F9B5B194F2F1C6DC6C7FCF

Got there with plenty of fuel left, decided to take it for a drive... and did pretty good too.

1DAB7839DB8BA7A97ABEE69BC1D2DF084D100EDF

Its not perfect, its orbit is counter-normal and wayy off plane, but its a lot closer than anything else, considering at the time that I only had 2 of the new parts.

6A165593139B8DFF21B34789446B46F7000A097F

Today I farted around with the new parts. More importantly, I wrote down their specs. Tomorrow I'll add that data to my planning spreadsheet so I can start making some actual crap with some of these things. I'm curious if it'd be worth it to replace my Skipjack engine cluster with one or more of the new engines for purposes of my upcoming Eve mission.

Launched an LES, small RGU and Z-1k batt into orbit in various new ways, notably with a KR-1x2 and a Jumbo64/KR-2L. Tried out a KD25k for the hell of it; couldn't steer so that one didn't make orbit though it got a pretty hellacious apoapsis.

landed a tiny base on an A class asteroid, Carl Sagan 140402(first try went perfectly) in a 200x200 orbit around kerbin.. the asteroid is a tat bit to small and the legs of the lander are sticking out on all sides :(

Today, I painstakingly set up an encounter with an asteroid, and then due to time warping when the asteroid entered Kerbin's SOI it became impossible to rendezvous with it's magically and randomly reset periapsis in the short time I had before it flew by and vanished forever.

"No problem," I thought. "I'll just hold F5 to restore my last quicksave."

What's the emoticon for pulling out your hair?

while making a rocket to catch an asteroid i ended up making one that has 14,000 deltaV (if i did the calculations right...) with the engines at 25% power.

http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/3336347426959694544/9FF41F35D8FB544C088AA78DEEF5F90487750795/

maybe not... it was my first deltaV calculation, so i probably messed something up haha

Engine power shouldn't have any effect on delta-v so I'm not sure what you've done there... does look like it has quite a lot of delta v though! :)

FINALLY, AT LONG LAST, I got a few hours of free time AND had my computer power cord so I could play the new ARM patch.

Obviously I squeed (on the inside), although I'm concerned because it seems to make my computer run hotter than before. I'll have to investigate more to be sure though.

In KSP, I started a new Career save and got to work spamming Science. Unless I'm mistaken we didn't start with parachutes before, so it was nice seeing that at the beginning. Easier to not kill the poor Kerbals.

P.S. Captured my first asteroid too. It was way easier than I could have hoped, or even feared. In fact it literally required no effort at all because a few minutes after I started the game a slow-encountering asteroid spawned that was already on a course to be captured by Kerbin. Free moon is free, I won't complain. xP

Edited by parameciumkid

I captured my first asteroid... E-class... and docked a lot of fuel and engines to it. The outcome was the massive amount of 34m/s of delta V which was just enough to put it into an excentric high orbit. This will certainly require some work to get this beast to the desired 300 km orbit where it will be converted into a massive space station. Everything for SCIENCE!

After working around the launcher bug to keep my beloved fake-fullscreen mode and dabbling a bit in stock .23.5 (where I realised just how much difference FAR really seems to make), I returned to my .23 save to finally give up hopes of landing my Eve probe (oh chris ...) and continued to fly my Duna Explorer back home. For this I docked two modules of my would be space station together to provide the crew a safe haven/new occupation.

Today the ship will arrive and .23 will come to a close for me - almost all of my usual mods are updated or certified compatible, so I will copy over my save files and hope for the best.