What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

Made a spaceplane that caused Kerbal Engineer Redux to think it had enoguh delta-V to go practically anywhere in the Kerbol system... except it didn't even have enough for geostationary orbit.

Today I finally finished my Duna mission ship.

BZHzAs2h.png

It comes with a five person lander on the front, followed by a science hub with docking ports for my SSTO space plane for crew transfer then a mining ship, which will hopefully help me to refuel the SpaceTug, which is at the end. If refueling fails... well, no going home for some time. Costs? Don't know. Parts count? Neither. Took four launches...

The SpaceTug itself has 4 LV-Ns at the back. Which take pretty long to do anything. So I did three burns to leave Kerbins orbit. Well, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to areobrake with this ship, I'll try anyway at least to get an orbit. After that I've got plenty of time to circularize.

My scanner is on it's way, too. And even though it started some days earlier it looks like it's taking a more efficient, but slower route. Tomorrow I'll timewarp to duna intercept. Will be a very exciting day. And I really hope I packed everything. I almost forgot the antenna for the science hub...

Edited by Mat2ch

more trying and failing at long range SSTO spaceplanes.

Bloody things always start becoming wobbly and unpredictable at high altitude and high speeds and always end up swaying side to side before tumbling sideways smack into the airstream. Hello gigantic drag, goodbye any chance at making orbital speed. If only I could get them to be stable they'd be able to make orbit with like 6-7k delta-V left...

Got Bill and Jeb in the Lander Can to fly-by Mun, to gather some science we are missing for next node with legs, to perform proper landing later...

Turned out they do not have enough fuel to come back home, so I send Val with rescue craft, matched orbits perfectly (without RCS, mind you), transferred oth guys to Val's craft...

And understood they do not have enough fuel to make it back to Kerbin, goddammit...

So, now the poor three are stranded in rescue craft on orbit with Pe=200 km, and we need a third craft to come up and bring them down...

Or just use GOAP method...

Today, I completed all of the Eyes Turned Skyward Apollo Derived Command and Service Modules. And here they are (two of which with their respective Mission Modules) in order:

Block II (Initial lunar missions, actually flown) > Block III > Block III+ > Block IV > Block V

axZWaah.jpg

I spent the whole day trying to get Astronomer's Visual Pack to work. No luck so far, but I think I'm getting closer ...

It shouldn't be too difficult.

> Install E.V.E (The old one)

> Install Astronomer according to how the file wants you to.

> Profit.

Unless of course you're crashing due to RAM issues, in which case you'll either want to use ATM or, if you can, manually reduce the texture sizes. Seeing as I have Photoshop, I can easily open up any texture (including .DDS') and manually resize and reconfigure them to have a lower footprint without sacrificing too much quality.

Unless of course you're crashing due to RAM issues' date=' in which case you'll either want to use ATM or, if you can, manually reduce the texture sizes. Seeing as I have Photoshop, I can easily open up any texture (including .DDS') and manually resize and reconfigure them to have a lower footprint without sacrificing too much quality.[/quote']

That's the problem. I have ATM, and I have tried to reduce the size of detail1.png. Reducing its dimensions results in the clouds not loading when the game starts, and none of the dds converters work on it. If you could help me out, I would be eternally grateful. :)

Last night I resumed the flight of the Raven 7. Having learned something new about how FAR works and worried that I'd crash the thing on re-entry, I went ahead and offloaded my tourist passengers at the New Horizons space station, then did a rendezvous with the Condor 7 still stuck in orbit to offload some of the Raven's fuel - in particular, some monoprop. I'm confident that the Condor can now complete its originally intended mission (of ferrying passengers to New Horizons). Went ahead and de-orbited the Raven. As I feared, I didn't have sufficient pitch authority to keep the nose up at touchdown and she crashed with two white suits, Diissa and Berris, at the helm - the first two permanent casualties I've had in my career game so far. I'm particularly mad about losing Berris - she was a two-star pilot...

Makes me glad I had the forethought to offload the passengers.

Continuing with my now-finished Jool mothership of ~550 parts (I still need a name for it), I rendezvoused with my initial tiny contracted Space Station to grab some additional crew for the tip to Jool. The final cargo manifest (if I dont change it again before leaving Kerbin) is 1 Vall Lander for 2 kerbals, 6 mini unpowered satellites, a lander for Pol, a lander for Bop, 2 full science probes and a mini rover for Laythe and room for 15 kerbals.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I accepted the 'explore Gilly' contract as well as one to put a satellite around Eve. So I built and launched the following ship, the plan is to land on the surface of Gilly with a lab, where it will rest there for the immediate future and milk science. This will probably fill out the rest of my tech tree (I am nearing the end of the 300-science level).

I've got it into LKO, and it is currently docked with a tanker. I much prefer winging it instead of mathing it, so I am slightly worried that I don't have enough DV to get into Eve's orbit with the entire ship, which was the plan. I'm also worried about aero-braking at Eve, since I forgot about any heat-shielding; hopefully I won't have to.

Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-12.27.48-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-12.29.48-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-12.31.12-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-7.49.25-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-7.49.44-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-8.21.48-AM.png

Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-8.38.24-AM.png

Edited by justidutch

Flew my new Ranger replica around on Laythe, after mistakenly re-entering over the side of the planet with no large islands. :blush:

That is by far the best looking ranger replica i have seen in KSP. It is also one of the smallest good looking SSTO spaceplanes for sure. Well done!

I am really looking forward to test spaceplanes on Laythe too. Playing for almost 2 years and still excited... :)