What did you do in KSP1 today?

Xeldrak

I redesigned the lifter for my little multimission science ship to work in the 'new' atmospherics, since I haven't played in months. The core ship carries 3 Kerbonauts and a lab and has been to Eve, where it dropped a probe, Duna and Ike, where it deployed a Kerbaled lander, and Jool, where it just orbited.

I had built this big and undoubtedly over-engineered lifter which was working satisfactorily before the patch, but can't make orbit post-patch (flexing and wobbling problems). So, I redesigned it and it puts the same basic payload in LKO despite being cheaper, smaller, and with more delta-V left over. Now I need to start working on the payload itself, to add a service bay and some other doodads. Still not really sure how to mate the lander to it since in the old atmo I just perched it atop the command pod with no ill effects. There will be a payload fairing involved but still trying to plan it out while I'm at the office allegedly 'working.'

Took the orange suits down to Minimus for flags and science. When I started loading them into the capsule, the game made ghost kerbals. They were unaffected by gravity but seemed to have collision meshes and generally bounced around, and they didn't show up on tracking station. I am left with so many questions.

dESreuu.png

After that I got hell Kraken and had to reload.

It was a pretty busy day, but most of it was making up from accidentally loading over a lot of unsaved progress. Highlights include the Science Jet (made from 90 science tier parts) which I used for flying around the KSC continent to fulfill contracts. "Bob's Science Car" is pretty much what it sounds like and it is jet powered. I used it for the space center to start and then upgraded to fulfill surface report contracts. Those trips can take a while so I set up some road trip music and have determined that Bob likes Rock music. He was really getting into "Cliffs of Dover" and "Knights of Cydonia." I assume geology IS one of his fields of study, so it fits.

Finished the evening by fully catching back up by redoing my Tilion I and II Mun missions. A probe landing and a well scienced manned flyby respectively. I might have enough Science and funding to land a Kerbal there now. I might do a couple of other things first though.

ASES is proud to announce that today, our very first Duna orbital probe successfully enterd a stable 100 Km orbit around Duna. Resource scans and scientific experiments in upper atmosphere (temporarily orbiting with a ~47 km PE) were executed without any problems. First scientific data from another planet in the Kerbol system could be gathered. A short moment of embarrasment struck mission control when it was discovered that prior to launch, the probe's RCS thrusters were removed for reasons yet to be clarified. Anyway, this is a historic and proud moment for all ASES engineers and mission staff and thus will be celebrated with free snacks for everyone!

screenshot32.png

Edited by lodger

I managed to dock two very heavy and high-part-count (=laggy) vessels in LKO. Manual docking, too. (Congrats are due to Kathsy Kerman's piloting skill, obviously...) It was an unplanned rendezvous and docking, but a necessity as one of the vessels was rather low on fuel.

Also successfully drilled for ore in the Mun's East Crater. The operation did reveal some weaknesses in the Munar Prospector spacecraft; Munar Prospector Mark II is in the design process.

I've outdone myself today (by my modest standards) if I do say so myself.

The Salvation II took off from Kerbin with a mission to rescue no less than four stranded kerbonauts, two in Kerbin orbit and two in Munar orbit.

After rescuing the two at Kerbin and one in low Mun orbit and thus also achieving my first orbital rendezvous in non-Kerbin orbit, I noticed that I won't have enough fuel to rescue the last one AND make it back home. After lots of thinking I decided it was better to go straight to Kerbin and rescue the last kerbonaut in a separate mission than to rendezvous with her and end up stranded in Mun orbit requiring refueling or another rescue which would just complicate things further. But then at the last second I changed my mind, and a third option came to pass.

I maneuvered the Salvation II so that it crosses path with the stranded kerbonaut at 0.5km distance. As I wouldn't have enough fuel to burn retro when near the kerbonaut and kill off relative speed, instead when under 1km distance I switched to the kerbonaut herself and for the first time ever manually, without instruments, using only the jetpack of the kerbonaut with very limited monopropellant, managed to rendezvous with the rescue ship, which was passing by VERY fast on a completely different and very eccentric orbit (stranded kerbonaut's orbit was circular). I barely made it with with about 1/5 monopropellant left.

I had barely enough fuel in the ship to escape Mun orbit and bring the Pe down enough to be able to land at Kerbin. Even so, as the rescue ship was designed to land with engines and fuel tanks, I needed fuel to slow down while dropping through the atmosphere in order not to burn out the components that had no protective heat shielding. I didn't have enough fuel to reduce speed significantly and entered the atmosphere at over 3300m/s. Thinking I was a goner, somehow the ship survived despite suffering a lot of overheating, and all five kerbonauts landed safely and received a hero's welcome :)

Launch

D8MtKmV.jpg

Two kerbonauts in Kerbin orbit saved

dcynTRd.jpg

The orbits of the two stranded kerbonauts at the Mun.

sRrNosd.jpg

The final kerbonaut making the last stretch of her epic manual orbital rendezvous with the rescue ship.

aWmIMLG.jpg

Celebratory group photo

SyPFMvi.jpg

Reentry

gNMyP7y.jpg

Safely landed

bLxDsPz.jpg

Last night my computer was downloading updates while KSP was running, so the game was acting pretty slowly - not a good thing when your window for gameplay is only about an hour long. I began by landing Cerxie (the pilot) and tourists Jenedith, Neillong, Eldorf and Arissa on the surface of Minmus for contracts. The landing itself was a contract - I had one to "put a new base on Minmus" and the Mun Buggy craft fulfilled all the necessary criteria. Earned about √225k all told for that effort, and since all the craft utilized were already up, it only cost me the price of fuel. So big profit there. I returned the Buggy to Minmusport after letting Cerxie plant a flag on the surface, and reloaded the crew into Enola Gay currently docked at Minmusport. Currently there isn't enough fuel at Minmusport station to refuel the craft completely for the journey home, so she's holding to until the station's Refinery Module arrives ten days from now. The Midas refinery lander headed to Minmus is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so an earlier departure of the craft may be possible - I'll need to work out the logistics, though.

I next determined that my standard space station core would fulfill the requirements of a "new station around Mun" contract, so I made three frustrating attempts to launch one before calling it a night; stalled and flipped each time. I don't know what was going on - this is the same core upon which the Kerbinport, Munport and Minmusport space stations are all based, so it's not like I haven't launched the damn thing plenty of times before. Of course, yesterday was frustrating in general, and not just in terms of KSP; I've been working on a VASSAL mod lately and spent most of the day trying to work out one of those "this should be working, why the crap is it not working" problems. Still not resolved as of this morning...

My OKTO orbit turned out to be too long to get to orbit, the SAS over compensated causing the 2nd stage to break off. I made a kerballed orbiter that could get to orbit, made my first circular orbit without a spaceplane, go science, got the contract for orbiting done, de-orbited, spent five minutes in the upper atmosphere due to a shallow trajectory, and then brought the second stage down, which kind of exploded but the mystery goo was safe, as was jeb, so that was nice, and I got tons of science. Will probably end up doing the contract for temperature readings with my VTOL, taking off like a normal plane and then flying to the places and landing and taking off VTOL style twice and then getting the third place with a second plane. I also tried to get the guns from the naval armament system to work in my sandbox, but they didn;t so before I had to go I put htem and the CAL in the BDArmory folder and hopefully they will work tonight. yay! stuffs! yeah!

Been making drones, had issues with stability and rotors rotation speed. Installed FAR hoping to get better aerodynamics, and ended up having my quadcopter not being able to lift off.

A 50t payload is probably a bit too much, but I really need to lift that...

Launched a Jool probe + transfer stage with excess dV so it can be used later as a tug. The probe itself will move around the Jool system using 4 ion engines. The vehicle is currently in a parking orbit waiting for the transfer window to open.

CNFCvRH.png

BejXJRV.png

OzsHCmO.png

I crashed a communications satellite into Moho. That is, I intentionally redirected it into Moho's surface because there was no way I was going to get it into orbit with an 11,000+ delta-v maneuver required. I can never seem to get my encounter right there. Still experimenting with just the right timing to get a circularization burn less than 10,000 delta-v. I will eventually find it.

I'm done.

It took about 3 hours, my computer screaming at me to kill it with fire, and I don't even know how many Two Steps From Hell tracks, but I finished...

The Soyuz of a Sort!

Not a replica, just something designed to be done in the spirit of the rocket. I wanted to see if I could do something of the sort, and you have the result right here.

xfPHc5M.png

More Images. Link because I hate the imgur albums on here. What are they, made for phones?

It runs horribly, and is no doubt completely useless compared to something more simple, but that's not why I build rockets, darn it! Download below.

Download Me Here

Edited by RyanRising
Fixed the imgur album

I'm done.

It took about 3 hours, my computer screaming at me to kill it with fire, and I don't even know how many Two Steps From Hell tracks, but I finished...

The Soyuz of a Sort!

Not a replica, just something designed to be done in the spirit of the rocket. I wanted to see if I could do something of the sort, and you have the result right here.

https://i.imgur.com/xfPHc5M.png

More Images. Link because I hate the imgur albums on here. What are they, made for phones?

It runs horribly, and is no doubt completely useless compared to something more simple, but that's not why I build rockets, darn it! Download below.

Download Me Here

I rather see a "too small imgur album" than clicking on a broken imgur link and seeing a 404 page ;) (your link to your imgur album does not work (on my phone))

I rather see a "too small imgur album" than clicking on a broken imgur link and seeing a 404 page ;) (your link to your imgur album does not work (on my phone))

Fixed! It said [noparse]"http://https://imgurblahblahblah" rather than "https://imgurblahblahblah"[/noparse]

Obbo K used left over parts to make Mono powered Stunt plane for fun short duration circuits of the base .screenshot172.pngscreenshot169.png

Management has settled on the MK1 flight trainer , good for , 1000m, 1 kerbal, 1 loop, 1 roll (left or right), 1 circuit around the base and a safe un-powered glide landing, or crash. Which ever comes first....8)

screenshot176.png

Edited by algwat
add update and image

I have finally caught the bug (after a couple of years of playing KSP) - I've discovered the joy of making stock replicas of real aircraft!

So far I've created an F-16 (which flies like a slug, but what the heck, it fires up to 2 missiles and drops 2 bombs), an A-10 (Not sure how to make it fly properly yet) and a B-52ish sort of thing, with 8 jet engines and a bomb bay full of nasty goodness.

Watching bombs rain down from a bomb bay, I have to admit, gives one an amazing feeling. :)