What happened when you first landed on the Mun?

rhj91

I would like to know what happened when you landed on the Mun for your first time.

When I first landed on the mun I found out I had put my landing legs on backwards so I had to land with them closed (I landed successfully and near one of the arches). Then I sent Bill out to go to the arch. I used his jet-pack to get to the arch and about half-way there he randomly exploded.

First time I landed on the Mun ... which was yesterday, so also the only time ... I realised my lander legs were pointing the right way - but didn't clear the engine. The probe actually ended up landing on the engine directly, wobbled, two lander legs touched the surface and then the lander gently rebounded and settled entirely on the engine exhaust, no probe legs touching the ground.

Just about to try a probe landing on Minmus, hoping I got the legs sorted :)

First time I landed I sent Jeb down with the 909 engine and one FLT200 tank. Yes, he did get stuck there.

The second time I landed on the Mun I rescued Jeb...after a 2km face slide across the Munar regolith. :D

Well... uhh.... I landed.

That's what happens when you over estimate what you need, start from a higher orbit than you need, have no particular target in mind, and have plenty of fuel for a controlled decent.

Now the second... third... fourth... and this "fad" I have with trying to use RCS to do everything (I am positive the probe would have landed if the damn mountains would get out of the way! [slowing down on a 4km orbit with RCS, not advised])... THOSE are the interesting ones.

My first landing on the Mun was simply a horrible crash -_-

On my first successful, landing, however, it was quite nice. The landing struts did what they were supposed to do and I had ladders which could get my crew easily back into the command module. The crew also had a bit of fun jumping around on the Mun ground and I also left a flag behind.

However, at some point, I had a crew outside the ship while I was in the ship control mode. I accidentally hit the shift key (Throttle) and my ship took off!! It was extremely messy trying to get the ship back down to a position reasonably close to my left behind crew, where the ship kept drifting here and there.

Eventually, I managed to get the ship within 250m of where my crew was left behind. It took forever to get my crew to walk to the ship. -_-

'OMG!! I MADE IT!! AND I DIDN'T CRASH THIS TIME!'

That was my thought process. I then shrieked and giggled like a schoolgirl for several minutes before I realized Bob Kerman did not have enough fuel to make it back to Kerbin. No rescue mission is currently planned at this time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.