[1.12] HyperEdit [v1.5.8, July 10, 2018] - Cheat, Teleporter, Orbit/Planet Editor, & More

Ezriilc

I found and fixed the problem, but have a question for @Ezriilc

The function:

private static Orbit CreateOrbit(double inc, double e, double sma, double lan, double w, double mEp, double epoch, CelestialBody body)

I know that inc is the inclination, and fixed this problem by adding a check to make sure it isn't 0.

Can you define the vars:  e, sma, w, mEp please?  Once I know what they are for, I can decide whether they should also have the same check.

The test build I did for myself is working, I'll upload a new beta this evening

LGG

I'm afraid I'm not any help here either.  I don't know what those variables mean.  :blush:

It looks like we're in good shape now.  I will do some testing on LGG's latest BETA, and if it's reliable I will make a full release.

Everyone, please test our newest BETA-3, and report any issues.

Huge thanks go out to @linuxgurugamer for yet again helping Kerbaltek!  If we had a payroll and/or a hall of fame, you'd be on/in it for sure.  :cool:

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I found and fixed the problem, but have a question for @Ezriilc

The function:

private static Orbit CreateOrbit(double inc, double e, double sma, double lan, double w, double mEp, double epoch, CelestialBody body)

I know that inc is the inclination, and fixed this problem by adding a check to make sure it isn't 0.

Can you define the vars:  e, sma, w, mEp please?  Once I know what they are for, I can decide whether they should also have the same check.

The test build I did for myself is working, I'll upload a new beta this evening

LGG

I would suggest the following:

• e = Eccentricity
  • SMA = Semi-major Axis
  • w = Argument of Periapsis
  • mEp = Mean Anomaly

This is due to the following orbital reference values that are found in the persistent save files:

ORBIT
	{
		SMA = *
		ECC = *
		INC = *
		LPE = *
		LAN = *
		MNA = *
		EPH = *
		REF = *
	}

The only one I am not sure about is the mEp being the Mean Anomaly. If this can be cleared up I would be grateful.

Finally, I am pretty sure all the numbers stored for the above orbital values should be non-Zero. It seems like KSP could possibly be throwing NaN errors when they are.

Edited by Poodmund

With the new version I still have the same potential bug I've had since 1.1...

When using the ship lander (most recently on Eve), the craft overheats hugely and explodes. HE didn't used to do this. Am I missing a setting somewhere to fix this or is it a known bug?

50 minutes ago, Foxster said:

With the new version I still have the same potential bug I've had since 1.1...

When using the ship lander (most recently on Eve), the craft overheats hugely and explodes. HE didn't used to do this. Am I missing a setting somewhere to fix this or is it a known bug?

I did some tests that showed this was fixed, but I will try to nail this down.  Please tell me the exact steps to reproduce the issue.  You can submit your .craft file or .sfs file on our Contact page, and that will help me see what's up.

12 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

I did some tests that showed this was fixed, but I will try to nail this down.  Please tell me the exact steps to reproduce the issue.  You can submit your .craft file or .sfs file on our Contact page, and that will help me see what's up.

Cheers.

Here's how I can reproduce it simply:

aGzVJlc.jpg

Simple three-part craft. 

1. Launch it.
  2. HE it to a 100km orbit of Eve with Orbit Editor
  3. In Ship Lander hit Set to current, then Set rotation and finally Landing
  4. Craft hugely overheats and explodes as soon as craft is translated to near surface

This is with latest KSP on Windows 64 bit and a clean install of 1.5.1 HE. 

2 hours ago, Foxster said:

Cheers.

Here's how I can reproduce it simply:

aGzVJlc.jpg

Simple three-part craft. 

1. Launch it.
  2. HE it to a 100km orbit of Eve with Orbit Editor
  3. In Ship Lander hit Set to current, then Set rotation and finally Landing
  4. Craft hugely overheats and explodes as soon as craft is translated to near surface

This is with latest KSP on Windows 64 bit and a clean install of 1.5.1 HE. 

Rather than hitting set to current, can you just select a spot and do the landing?

It almost sounds like the craft still has velocity.  I'll take a look this evening

LGG

11 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Rather than hitting set to current, can you just select a spot and do the landing?

It almost sounds like the craft still has velocity.  I'll take a look this evening

LGG

For a brief moment, one can see every part's heat bar at full red, then boom.  I get this no matter how or where I do a landing on Eve, but didn't have issues on Kerbin.

I think you are correct about it having velocity still.

2 minutes ago, Ezriilc said:

For a brief moment, one can see every part's heat bar at full red, then boom.  I get this no matter how or where I do a landing on Eve, but didn't have issues on Kerbin.

I think you are correct about it having velocity still.

Try editing a part and setting the heat resistance to an extremely high number, then do the test and see what happens

33 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Try editing a part and setting the heat resistance to an extremely high number, then do the test and see what happens

My single part (Mk1-2 pod) ship survives landing on Eve when I set:

maxTemp = 99999
	skinMaxTemp = 99999

And the stock part survives landing on Kerbin, but with visible heating that isn't enough to 'splode it.

Edited by Ezriilc
Corrected typo "Even" to "Eve"

I've been using ALT-F12 > Cheats > Ignore Max Temperature as a workaround. Have to remember to turn it off again afterwards. HE works as expected then except for the temp bars of all the parts shooting to the end. 

1 hour ago, Ezriilc said:

My single part (Mk1-2 pod) ship survives landing on Eve when I set:

maxTemp = 99999
	skinMaxTemp = 99999

And the stock part survives landing on Kerbin, but with visible heating that isn't enough to 'splode it.

OK, when it was landing, did it have any horizontal velocity?

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

OK, when it was landing, did it have any horizontal velocity?

None that I could detect.  The moment I began to see the craft, the heat was already dissipating.

There is another quirk to HE since some recent updates that makes Landed craft on bodies other than Kerbin move sideways before landing, similar to how they move upwards on Kerbin.  Could that be related?  To me that sounds like a point-of-reference issue, but I'm just guessing.

Just now, Ezriilc said:

None that I could detect.  The moment I began to see the craft, the heat was already dissipating.

There is another quirk to HE since some recent updates that makes Landed craft on bodies other than Kerbin move sideways before landing, similar to how they move upwards on Kerbin.  Could that be related?  To me that sounds like a point-of-reference issue, but I'm just guessing.

I think that may be the problem, it is sideways motion which is pretty high for a sec

34 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The problem is related to the orbital speed BEFORE you do the landing.

Temporary workaround, when you teleport to Eve's orbit, go to an orbit at least 1000 KM high (1000000), then do your landing

Wouldn't a geosync orbit be the best bet (same speed as the surface/atmosphere, so 0m/s relative speed when teleported from geosync into the atmosphere)?

Never mind, I need to read what I type before posting, especially at 2am.

Can HE set the desired velocity vector before teleporting into the atmosphere, as an intermediate step? Could be an issue if the craft is near something else (eg. orbiting near a station), but perhaps it could be done by doing an intermediate teleport to some safe spot - for example a billon km above the solar north pole, well outside the system ecliptic and far enough away that for that split second solar gravity has negligible effect. Then teleport from there into the atmosphere before starting the landing sequence.

Alternatively, is it possible to do something similar to the shielding effect of a closed fairing/cargo bay, only for the time between spawning into the atmosphere and reaching the proper velocity, and then remove that shielding effect? Can a craft be in a 'stowed' state without actually being inside a fairing/bay?

Edited by swjr-swis
me dumbwit, radial speed =/= surface speed

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Wouldn't a geosync orbit be the best bet (same speed as the surface/atmosphere, so 0m/s relative speed when teleported from geosync into the atmosphere)?

Never mind, I need to read what I type before posting, especially at 2am.

Can HE set the desired velocity vector before teleporting into the atmosphere, as an intermediate step? Could be an issue if the craft is near something else (eg. orbiting near a station), but perhaps it could be done by doing an intermediate teleport to some safe spot - for example a billon km above the solar north pole, well outside the system ecliptic and far enough away that for that split second solar gravity has negligible effect. Then teleport from there into the atmosphere before starting the landing sequence.

Alternatively, is it possible to do something similar to the shielding effect of a closed fairing/cargo bay, only for the time between spawning into the atmosphere and reaching the proper velocity, and then remove that shielding effect? Can a craft be in a 'stowed' state without actually being inside a fairing/bay?

I'm working on a solution which works, will just take a little time to get it right.  I can do it manually right now, just need to do it in code.  I have it working properly in KRASH now (it had the same issue)

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.