[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Actually, it means "return to health" (heit = health; ge- = repeat or again, attached to verbs mainly; sind = to go; thus gesund = go again or return). Yay college German class, I can't believe you came in handy!

Sorry for derailing this thread yet again, but actually the term 'Gesundheit' is more properly subdivided as

1. 'Ge-' meaning 'a bunch', a fossilized derivative prefix an analog can be found in 'Gebirge', subdivided as 'Ge-' meaning 'a bunch, a number of sth.' and '-birge' 'mountains' derived from the plural of 'Berg' with an Ablaut/Umlaut switch e>i

2.'-sund-' from middle-low-german 'sunt' meaning 'salvation, intactness' and

3. 'heit', a productive derivative suffix closely resembling the meaning 'a kind of, a way of' implying modality...

-Yay, studying linguistics but not finishing finally paid off ;)-

Cheers and please kind moderation gods be kind and sorry if someone might find this pedantic or even rude...

Edited by E.Nygma

I know some people use shape-locked fairing sides for general construction. Could you give me examples please? I think separate procedural structural parts would be better.

I mostly use a procedural decoupler w/ fairing. For stuff like engine clusters on a thrust plate, small rockets on a larger tank, etc.

I sometimes also use an interstage fairing base with both structural and separating fairings, so I open up the cargo but keep structural support.

Like this:

th_screenshot27_zpstkkenvuy.png

Edited by MarvinCZ

Hey Fail-Man 3D, where d'ya got those "grid rudders" from?

e-dog, yesterday when playing with MassDriver mod I found that procedural nose cone is kinda must, as you hang your vessel below massdriver stack under some decoupler (that is doomed to lay on top of your vessel then burn due to DRC btw) and before start you decouple that, so it lands on its own bottom, then you charge massdriver, switch back to your ship and up you go... So, basically top node is needed on nose cone for purposes alike. I tried to work around that by placing cone-shaped empty procedural tank under decoupler, interstage ring below my ship, and use top node of that ring to connect to said empty tank. But this is meh.

First of all, I want to thank you for this great mod. E-dog, you're great.

Second, I hope that these stock "fairings" wouldn't discourage you from updating PF. These "fairings" are just plain ugly.

I could live with them if they at least broke into 1 piece per section

And if they had actual physical pieces that I could strut things to.

(and it also seems like the point of drag is at the fairing base instead of high up where the actual fairing nose is.... not 100% sure of that though)

All in all, I think if the first two conditions were true that they would really appeal to people who have never tried edog's Procedural Fairings

Regarding the nodes, 1.0 is a LOT stricter about node direction than pre-1.0 versions were.

For example: The bottom node in the below example can't be attached to from below any longer. The fifth digit would need to be -1 (Y pointing down) for you to attach from underneath

node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.95, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

Edited by Starwaster

Alright, bummer to find this out, but it looks like PF is broken by 1.0. Nodes don't seem to attach at all.

Thankfully the stock fairings are better than I expected!

***I uninstalled this mod temporarly so I have not tested this FIX with this mod.***

KSP 1.0 finally fixed a node orientation bug that has been around for a log time. Many part modders used a workarround/ignored the orientation of their nodes. If you access the cheat menu by pressing Alt-F12 and then click on the "Non-Strict part orientation attachment check" cheat most parts mods will start to work again.

With the parts mods I currently have in use, this fixed the 'can not attach to the node' issues.

Edited by Pappystein

***I uninstalled this mod temporarly so I have not tested this FIX with this mod.***

KSP 1.0 finally fixed a node orientation bug that has been around for a log time. Many part modders used a workarround/ignored the orientation of their nodes. If you access the cheat menu by pressing Alt-F12 and then click on the "Non-Strict part orientation attachment check" cheat most parts mods will start to work again.

With the parts mods I currently have in use, this fixed the 'can not attach to the node' issues.

So once that's done, Procedural Fairings works ok with KSP 1.0?

I'm going to update it for the new stock aerodynamics.

I consider phasing out the current PF bases/sides eventually in favor of a base with part-less sides like the new stock ones, but without the step-by-step construction like stock, just adjustable parameters like the current manual shaping + switchable shapes and textures.

These part-less stock "fairings" are very bad idea. First, they're not just part-less, they're actually mass-less - which is just plain stupid. Second, they're non-persistent - which means no debris, and it's actually a big part of gameplay for anyone who plays with unlimited debris and tries to limit the amount of junk they leave in orbit (like me).

Updated to 3.12:

• Updated for KSP 1.0.
  • Procedural fairings now use new stock airstream shielding and drag cube rendering.
  • Inline fairings now check if the top is closed by a single big part of the same vessel. Make sure that's the case or the shielding won't work.
  • Changed and rearranged tech limits for the new tech tree.
  • Converted textures to DDS.
  • Fixed manual shape UI issues.
  • Number of shielded parts is now displayed in the right-click menu for the fairing base. It might be inaccurate in the editor.
  • Removed old deprecated parts (non-resizable fairing bases etc).

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I'll add it to KerbalStuff and Curse when I'll have a little more brainz and time.

This mod is officially dead. It serves no purpose other than to take up more space and ram on your computer now.

Thank you for you support and kind words. Also, good luck attaching boosters to stock fairings.

This mod is officially dead. It serves no purpose other than to take up more space and ram on your computer now.

And what gives you the right to declare that? You are not the mod maker, you do not get a vote bigger than the rest of us.

This mod is not dead. Many will still use it. If you don't, fine, but what was the point to this post?