[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

1 hour ago, Li0n said:

@Apollo13 Do you have struts inside your fairings ? Try to remove them or disable the auto-strut function of PF base.

And the answer is...STRUTS!  Yep, I had stock struts and PF auto-struts. Turned off auto-struts and re-added stock struts.  perfect lift off.

THANK YOU

9 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

Procedural Fairings cause vessel to stick toLaunchpad.  Vessel has TWR of 2.33 at launch.  I used launchclamps to lift vessel off launchpad.  Vessel remained stuck.  Removed PF shells in the VAB.  Launched perfectly.

I'm using KSP 1.1.1.  Perhaps PF is incompatible?  Though, it was fine with KSP 1.1

no not incompatible with 1.1.1 i had the same issues with 1.1 and i remember having similar issues in the past with the fairings 

ive stopped using pf cus kerbal r and d is not compatible with it 

if i remember rightly my solution was to stop using the structural fairing part(found in stuctures) and used the one found in aerodynamics  ... and also the gray fairing(cant remember names) that allows u to stack ontop of that and that did the trick for me

@tillyd  Thanks for the response.  However, the problem was auto-struts, as Li0n indicated.  PF is full compatible with 1.1.1; works like a charm.  Also, there are no longer PF bases in the Structural tab; everything is in Aerodynamics, as they should be.

You should give PF a try again.

On 28/04/2016 at 11:48 AM, Medicus said:

Yeah, both Procedural Fairings and Procedural Parts have crazy lag issues.

They would be great if you could actually use them. :/

It's possible that PF and PP are using the same Unity function which Squad found was highly degraded under Unity 5, and ended up having to change how their own constructable fairings worked because they were causing huge lag when vessels using them were sent to the launchpad/runway.

3 hours ago, Dermeister said:

is there any plans to make an option when you right click the fairings to change the textures? If you have used procedural parts, you will know what I mean!

There was an add on for prix fairings that would add FS texture switcher. I can't recall the name right now but if I can find it I'll post it. Just a cfg patch and some textures really. Super simple.

5 hours ago, V8jester said:

There was an add on for prix fairings that would add FS texture switcher. I can't recall the name right now but if I can find it I'll post it. Just a cfg patch and some textures really. Super simple.

Thank you :)

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

Here are the two I can think of that might get you on your way

Thank you :). I don't think they will work with 1.1.2 but ill see if they get updated I will give them a try! :)

Edited by Dermeister

22 minutes ago, Dermeister said:

Thank you :). I don't think they will work with 1.1.2 but ill see if they get updated I will give them a try! :)

They are more just a starting point to show you the modules for FS Texture switcher. Everything should work with proper plugin updates.

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 4:28 PM, Apollo13 said:

And the answer is...STRUTS!  Yep, I had stock struts and PF auto-struts. Turned off auto-struts and re-added stock struts.  perfect lift off.

THANK YOU

i'm having the same issue just now. Except that I had 0 Stock struts, Only auto strut from PF. I Alt tabbed to look for a fix and behold I see other people posting the same issue. I untick Autostruts.... and it launches And my fairings wobble and split as I launch.I tick auto struts back on again. Rocket sticks to pad like some 1 strutted it down... Because when I turn engines off it's like there's an invisible force holding the rocket in exact place.

I'm not a PC  smart person so I don't know what to do to help reporting this properly but if  you need anything like a screen shot or information as to what mods I use ect let me know.

Edited by Dermeister

14 hours ago, Dermeister said:

i'm having the same issue just now. Except that I had 0 Stock struts, Only auto strut from PF. I Alt tabbed to look for a fix and behold I see other people posting the same issue. I untick Autostruts.... and it launches And my fairings wobble and split as I launch.I tick auto struts back on again. Rocket sticks to pad like some 1 strutted it down... Because when I turn engines off it's like there's an invisible force holding the rocket in exact place.

I'm not a PC  smart person so I don't know what to do to help reporting this properly but if  you need anything like a screen shot or information as to what mods I use ect let me know.

Yeah, same here--except I don't use struts. It varies from design to design though, some launch just fine, and others don't.

I'm not using the fuselage fairings, so I can rule that out. 

1 hour ago, Synthesis said:

Yeah, same here--except I don't use struts. It varies from design to design though, some launch just fine, and others don't.

I'm not using the fuselage fairings, so I can rule that out. 

For me it's while I use the cargo fairings. I have 3 rockets with both types. Fuselage fairings for intra stages and the cargo fairings for the top for cargo. when I use the auto strut bouton for the cargo fairings 100% of the time the rocket is stuck on the pad. If I use the auto strut with the fuselage fairings it dosent seem to glue me on the pad. So i'm assuming that the issue is with Either the base for For Cargo fairings combined with the auto strut feature OR the cargo fairings themselves combined with the Auto strut feature.

Edited by Dermeister

I'm having kind of a.. different problem.  Not having the problem with anything sticking to the launch pad, but... in 1.1.2 the fairings appear *weak*.  I'll be launching a rocket and suddenly I'll get structural failure between the conic fairing and the base ring, and the fairings fall off.  This did not happen in 1.1.0, does happen in 1.1.2.  I'm going very gently through the atmosphere even; max accel 12 m/s, max dynamic pressure 12000 pascals... should be ok.. but isn't.  didn't have to impose even these limits in 1.1.0, the fairings were really strong back then.

I am using KJR and FAR, if that makes a difference; I have always used those with PF though and 1.1.2 is the first time I've had this problem.

Currently waiting for the 1.1.2 update so it works with CKAN, but I have a question. Is the price procedural too, or does it always cost the same amount? I'd like the price to be dynamic.

Edited by Tricky14

I'm loving the inline fairings, so many designs that were previously impossible because they had too many terminal nodes can now be built. Is it possible to have an inline section that starts off covered but after reaching space blows of the panels to reveal girders that maintain the strength but don't block light etc. I would like to put experiments and greenhouses in the middle of my rocket and be able to access them.

12 hours ago, DChurchill said:

As a returning player who hasn't played since .23, is PF better than the stock fairings? I used PF back then and loved it. Something seems off about the stock fairings.

At the moment they seem to have some weird interactions between struts and auto-struts, but I don't think they could ever be worse than the stock fairings (unless the .dll is replaced with ransomware..)

6 hours ago, cfds said:

At the moment they seem to have some weird interactions between struts and auto-struts, but I don't think they could ever be worse than the stock fairings (unless the .dll is replaced with ransomware..)

LOL Good enough. I'll switch to PF. Thanks.

Updated to 3.17:

• Rebuilt for KSP 1.1.2.
  • Fixed thermal issues with FAR (patch by NathanKell).
  • Fixed procedural mass issues (patch by NathanKell).
  • Fixed auto-strut joint issue (connecting to the same rigid body).
  • Improved payload auto-strut performance (strut heaviest part only).

It looks like there's still an issue if you place stock struts on the fairing base, it causes NRE in drag cube rendering. The workaround is to place struts the other way around, starting on some other part and connecting them to the fairing base. This issue might affect other procedural parts too (other mods).