[1.1.2][1-1-2] May 13-2016 EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

rbray89

5 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Dang main-menu always causing me trouble... should never have added support for it, but now that it is there, people always expect it, so if they don't see clouds on main-menu they think it didn't work and don't bother even trying it in game :)

While it does look very nice to have, people are on the menu for a couple of seconds. If its causing issues just dump it, in-game is why we all have this installed :)

1 minute ago, Billy_Is_Dead said:

@rbray89 Is there any way to make clouds visible only from space? The surface clouds lag me up a bunch.

I guess if you were to go into the EVE gui (Alt-0) and disable the volumetric part for each cloud layer, that'd probably solve it. It's the volumetrics that cause the lag right?

I haven't tried the BRAND NEW version yet, but here are a few problems I've noticed over the last couple of days, using no other mods on 64bit KSP:

1: City lights don't seem to be working correctly. The daytime texture always shows (and glows) even on the night side, and both textures sometimes get mixed or are missing in large square blocks.

2: Clouds cast shadows on the invisible planes used for sprites, such as the spotlight glare on the KSC water tower, and the light glares on landing gear. These turn grey instead of invisible when a cloud shadow passes over them.

3: There doesn't seem to be any way of making a self-illuminating cloud layer, so there's no way to do auroras or the glowing clouds on Laythe from the Astronomer's visual pack. That's a big loss!

I feel like I'm forgetting something. Anyway, if there's a better place to report bugs, let me know!

Edited by Rhedd

@rbray89 Here is an album of photos regarding an 2 issues I've run into. I do not have crash logs to submit to you, but I have two issues with a basic idea of what is wrong. First off, the planet textures seem to disappear or lose all lighting when being viewed from the spacecraft. I cannot figure out why this is. I am working on isolating the problem to ensure that it isn't another mod conflicting somehow.

The other issue is an odd one from the menu after leaving the space center. It looks as if the cloud texture radius (size maybe) does not resize at the menu.

http://imgur.com/a/xUvJc

Edited by Notorious_BJG
Tried to embed imgur album for bug fix post, embedding doesn't work.

19 minutes ago, Notorious_BJG said:

@rbray89 Here is an album of photos regarding an 2 issues I've run into. I do not have crash logs to submit to you, but I have two issues with a basic idea of what is wrong. First off, the planet textures seem to disappear or lose all lighting when being viewed from the spacecraft. I cannot figure out why this is. I am working on isolating the problem to ensure that it isn't another mod conflicting somehow.

The other issue is an odd one from the menu after leaving the space center. It looks as if the cloud texture radius (size maybe) does not resize at the menu.

http://imgur.com/a/xUvJc

All of this has been brought to his attention already. He will fix everything eventually. He always does. 

2 minutes ago, Berlin said:

All of this has been brought to his attention already. He will fix everything eventually. He always does. 

Thank you for letting me know this, I look forward to the fixes in the future.

I apologize if this added to a plethora of posts about this. Apparently I didn't look back very far in the thread.

2 hours ago, Notorious_BJG said:

Oh my goodness. That is beautiful, sDaZe.

What mods are you using? And is this in 1.1? I must recreate this.

Scatterer, EVE, PlanetShine, Distant and Object Enhancement. Screenshot was taken in 4k. Yes it is 1.1 :)  Oh and also im using KSPRC's textures in texture replacer 

Edited by sDaZe

13 hours ago, jlcarneiro said:

@rbray89, what about replacing main menu support with a text like "Eve x.xx succesfully loaded, xxxxMB used"?

Don't get me wrong, folks, I love The clouded kerbin on the main menu, but if everyhing works fine inside...

You could even have a popup box like scatterer, or get together and share a box through an api

o7 new version test done with:
Kerbal Space Program - 1.1.0.1196 x64
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4)
RAM: 8153
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (1989MB)

Eve: v1.5.5946.5364 / 1.5.5946.5363 (i see there are diferite module version in log)

Spoiler

_BuildManager, 1.5.5946.5364 TextureConfig, 1.5.5946.5363 Terrain, 1.5.5946.5363 ShaderLoader, 1.5.5946.5363 PQSManager, 1.5.5946.5363 CityLights, 1.5.5946.5364 CelestialShadows, 1.5.5946.5364 EVEManager, 1.5.5946.5363 Utils, 1.5.5946.5363 Atmosphere, 1.5.5946.5364

Stock Visual Enhancements v0.5.8 Ultra Resolution
Scatterer v1.0.5939.25400 + CompiledAtmosphericScatter.shader extra file use what fix horizon dots
DistantObject v1.7.0.19328
AmbientLightAdjustment v2.5.6.3
PlanetShine v1.0.5938.30099
single problem what i see till now is this, but that was bring by 1196 build release + v1.5.5933.38810 Eve release what i use till today
O6rle6W.png

Other way all is looking good & working fine noo NPE from your mod
Cheer & Salute

--------------
Update: after i done more test is sems to be 100% Scatter related problem, issue
i will adress this to @blackrack, in case you want to delete all what i say yell or any moder can move my post to scatter treath
sorry agen but all is looking good from your side

Edited by Blacks

5 hours ago, Blacks said:

o7 new version test done with:
Kerbal Space Program - 1.1.0.1196 x64
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz (4)
RAM: 8153
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (1989MB)

Eve: v1.5.5946.5364 / 1.5.5946.5363 (i see there are diferite module version in log)

Reveal hidden contents

_BuildManager, 1.5.5946.5364 TextureConfig, 1.5.5946.5363 Terrain, 1.5.5946.5363 ShaderLoader, 1.5.5946.5363 PQSManager, 1.5.5946.5363 CityLights, 1.5.5946.5364 CelestialShadows, 1.5.5946.5364 EVEManager, 1.5.5946.5363 Utils, 1.5.5946.5363 Atmosphere, 1.5.5946.5364

Stock Visual Enhancements v0.5.8 Ultra Resolution
Scatterer v1.0.5939.25400 + CompiledAtmosphericScatter.shader extra file use what fix horizon dots
DistantObject v1.7.0.19328
AmbientLightAdjustment v2.5.6.3
PlanetShine v1.0.5938.30099
single problem what i see till now is this, but that was bring by 1196 build release + v1.5.5933.38810 Eve release what i use till today
O6rle6W.png

Other way all is looking good & working fine noo NPE from your mod
Cheer & Salute

--------------
Update: after i done more test is sems to be 100% Scatter related problem, issue
i will adress this to @blackrack, in case you want to delete all what i say yell or any moder can move my post to scatter treath
sorry agen but all is looking good from your side

That's a scatterer issue with terrain shadows.

On 4/11/2016 at 7:46 PM, rbray89 said:

The 1.1 release has been given a small dev feature: planetary shadows.
Shadows/eclipses may/may not affect craft or buildings yet. 

Looking good, and the shadow from the Mun on Kerbin was surprisingly subtle and fun to watch as it raced across Kerbin's surface.

Ike and Duna, on the other hand, don't seem to play together as nicely.

9u4a3ao.jpg

1 minute ago, Veevee said:

Looking good, and the shadow from the Mun on Kerbin was surprisingly subtle and fun to watch as it raced across Kerbin's surface.

9u4a3ao.jpg

At the much greater distance, the shadow would be much more defined, as the two bodies are relatively close to each-other compared to the sun. 
umbra.gif

9 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

At the much greater distance, the shadow would be much more defined, as the two bodies are relatively close to each-other compared to the sun. 
umbra.gif

So you are saying that Ike is close enough to Duna that the Umbra is touching it, therefore making a hard shadow?

Or are you saying that because the Mun is far enough from Kerbin, that the Penumbra is displayed on the planet (instead of the umbra), which is why it is more subtle?

Or did I just sum up both situations?

P.S. Thank you for the timely update!!

Edited by Notorious_BJG
Thanked mod author for update

1 minute ago, Notorious_BJG said:

So you are saying that Ike is close enough to Duna that the Umbra is touching it, therefore making a hard shadow?

Or are you saying that because the Mun is far enough from Kerbin, that the Penumbra is displayed on the planet (instead of the umbra), which is why it is more subtle?

Or did I just sum up both situations?

P.S. Thank you for the timely update!!

Its also distance to the sun... Imagine if you took the image I sent and stretched it out so the sun was really far away... the umbra and penumbra would basically touch.
That's what the difference between Kerbin and Duna. Duna is farther away from the sun, so its moon blocks more light in a tighter region.

So Ike is close enough to Duna, and both are far enough from Kerbol, that if this system were real the shadow would still have a very sharp edge to it?  Huh, the more you know...

I don't know if the engine can support it, but some dithering or something around the edges of the shadow would help a lot to remove the fakeness that the shadow's sharpness produces, even if it wouldn't be completely realistic.  it really looks like someone took a solid black circle of construction paper and just pasted it over Duna.

Regardless, really happy with the addition of shadows.  It's another one of those features that I didn't know I needed until I watched the Mun's shadow on Kerbin, but now I doubt I could be fully satisfied playing this game without it.

Edited by Veevee

10 hours ago, rbray89 said:

Just uploaded a version that should fix scatterer problems.

Hey there hi there!

1.) I'm curious, since I just followed the link to Github, and I see the x86 notation in the filenames indicating 32-bit versions.  I run on Linux, which has always been capable of 64-bit.  Is there a 64-bit version of this mod, either for v1.0.5 or for v1.1?  Or was there one on a fork at one point that was abandoned or deprecated?  Am I misunderstanding what this mod does to even be asking this question?

2.) Is there any desire to adopt SpaceDock as a repository?

3.) I know that EVE is available on CKAN.  I'm coming out of KSP-hibernation from a few months ago.  Last I knew, CKAN was... "persnickety" when it came to this particular mod, what with the texture resolution choices (especially for me, with no memory limit and no cockamamie "workaround" in Linux-64).  Is this addressed or resolved?  What should seasoned players with experience installing and troubleshooting mods bear in mind when attempting to CKAN-manage this mod?

Thanks!  Love your work!

5 minutes ago, MisterFister said:

Hey there hi there!

1.) I'm curious, since I just followed the link to Github, and I see the x86 notation in the filenames indicating 32-bit versions.  I run on Linux, which has always been capable of 64-bit.  Is there a 64-bit version of this mod, either for v1.0.5 or for v1.1?  Or was there one on a fork at one point that was abandoned or deprecated?  Am I misunderstanding what this mod does to even be asking this question?

2.) Is there any desire to adopt SpaceDock as a repository?

3.) I know that EVE is available on CKAN.  I'm coming out of KSP-hibernation from a few months ago.  Last I knew, CKAN was... "persnickety" when it came to this particular mod, what with the texture resolution choices (especially for me, with no memory limit and no cockamamie "workaround" in Linux-64).  Is this addressed or resolved?  What should seasoned players with experience installing and troubleshooting mods bear in mind when attempting to CKAN-manage this mod?

Thanks!  Love your work!

1) See OP. Two links, one for 1.1 pre-release and the other for current release. The x86 binaries are intended to work on x86. No guarantees on other platforms. The 1.1 version should be architecture agnostic.

2) Nope. I've attempted to use it and it doesn't seem to like to stay up or operational. Github has been near 100% reliable for me.

3) The current WIP release is not on CKAN. Its changing too fast, and KSP isn't released yet so I haven't bothered publishing a release. At some point It may be on CKAN, though I haven't been maintaining it so I don't know who has :)

9 minutes ago, rbray89 said:

1) See OP. Two links, one for 1.1 pre-release and the other for current release. The x86 binaries are intended to work on x86. No guarantees on other platforms. The 1.1 version should be architecture agnostic.

Very well.  I did read the OP and browsed the most recent several pages here at the end prior to posting my question.  On your polite suggestion here, I revisited the OP again.  I see your disclaimer asking for screenshots (didn't really seem to apply to my question as I wasn't asking for troubleshooting assistance) but I don't see any discussion as to architecture.  I do see a separate link to the WIP, of course.  What am I missing in the OP, please?

4 hours ago, Veevee said:

9u4a3ao.jpg

Mine looks so much different then yours 

2QOMd8q.jpg