BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

So when it comes to planets and skyboxes whats the best format to use?

JPEG usually has the best quality/size ratio. When you need quality or transparency, use PNG. If you need perfect quality, use PNG + disable texture compression.

I don't know but Bilbal, or Nelke or Genewin did the trick for me they sound pretty female to me :).

No, I was talking about English feminisation of word "Kerbal". Like in German when you append -in, e.g. Sekretär -> Sektretärin, or in Slovene (and probably other Slavic lang.) you append -ka or -ca, e.g. tajnik -> tajnica, astronavt -> astronavtka ...

Thinking aoub how to name directory for female generic Kerblas. `GenericKernbalesses/`? This sounds silly to me.

How should be called a female Kerbal? Kerbalin? Kerbaless? Kerbalka?

I think 'Karbal' is more of an equivalent of 'Human', so as actually male Kerbals are Kermans (or Kermen? I do not think so...), female Kerbals could be something like Kermas or Kermins. I think Kermin sounds really nice, but some feminist players might be against the 'min' ending :)

Maybe "Kerba"?, plural "Kerbas"? Sounds really feminine in spanish (and English, immo, acording to google voice http://translate.google.es/#en/es/Kerbal.%20Kerba.).

I think 'Karbal' is more of an equivalent of 'Human', so as actually male Kerbals are Kermans (or Kermen? I do not think so...), female Kerbals could be something like Kermas or Kermins. I think Kermin sounds really nice, but some feminist players might be against the 'min' ending :)

True, clever point.

Honestly, true feminism would be demanding the same suffix. Equality isn't a case of 'seperate but equal' its a designation that people should, based on their capabilities, be treated the same as another person with the same capabilities. In that regard, shaw has the closest proper incorporation for female Kerbal (for better or worse) considering that it is nothing more than a cosmetic change. Since you have no control over what Kerbal have which face in the generic setup, there isn't even a naming bias. So though a bit rudimentary in that impression of our gender beliefs on Kerbal is a bit weird to begin with, our desire for impressing ourselves on other objects sort of makes it rather normal or at least familiar.

Or simply put, treating female Kerbal as something other than more Kerbal is the equivalent of saying they shouldn't have the last name 'Smith'. Calling them ie: Kerb Kerwoman is entirely sexist and intolerant. It basically identifies them as different. You might as well sew a yellow badge onto their shirts.

JPEG usually has the best quality/size ratio. When you need quality or transparency, use PNG. If you need perfect quality, use PNG + disable texture compression.

How would you recommend converting the files?

Most websites that do it seem shady..

But there is a workaround, I have some females just creating a custom kerbal name and giving it the suits and head desired, actually have 6 females in the roster and if one dies only have to change the name of the custom kerbal folder with another of your like, hope that helps.

That is exactly how I did it. I was just wondering if I could automate it for random Kerbals rather than pick Kerbals for each flight. Right now I have a number of different color suits and a bunch of heads. I had put the female heads into the suit folders with a kind of pink suit and the males into the other colors. When I tested I saw that the heads didn't stay with the suits they were in the same folder with. If I really want to have special suits for females I'll just have to name them but I'll most likely just dump the pink suits.

Nooooo....:( there is *no* reason to use jpeg: a meg or three's different on the hard disk is meaningless, and it all gets converted ingame anyway

<Stuff and words> entirely sexist and intolerant. It basically identifies them as different. You might as well sew a yellow badge onto their shirts.

Only if we approach it in Human terms... We should consider the hypothetical naming conventions of Kerbals; maybe "Kerman" is a gender or tribal designation, and the strange compound names they have are actually name+surname, eg. "Shep-Vey". I like the idea of "Kermin" for the Kerbaladies. Presumably the females aren't hired by the KSP on account of Kerbal gender roles, or maybe they are physiologically unsuitable for space travel; we can only speculate until we see some ingame.

Also (and the reason I came on to this thread before I got sidetracked) I LOVE this mod. My Kerbals look so much swankier in their sexy new spacesuits.

http://i.imgur.com/RPF6CVb.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/GbQa0

---- Please, excuse my mistakes and weird expressions, my English is almost 100% self taught. ----

Pimp my Kerbals texture pack

DOWNLOAD

https://mega.co.nz/#!FhkAETZb!DqoRmR3bv_yabxTjkBmCCEiQAyMC6qjVnUQTmarGOQM

DISCLAIMER: I'm not responsible if you accidentally overwrite any of your previous personalized textures!!

For the best and most secure installation, put this pack on a clean installation of "Texture Replacer". If you can't or you don't want to do it, please, do a backup of all your personalized textures (if you have it) before use this.

INSTALLATION: To install this pack, just merge the main folder of the rar (named "Texture Replacer" ) with your installed "Texture Replacer" folder.

First of all many, many thanks to Shaw for bring us Texture Replacer. It's easy, powerful and very funny, that's what made a mod a masterpiece immo. Runs really well, and features like no EVA Helmets or visor textures wouldn't be possible without this magnificent mod.

Now, ladies and gentlemen, let's see what I bring to you today...

Custom Kerbals:

We have brand new Jeb, Bob and Bill heads. Made to give a strong personality to our most beloved and favorite kerbals. Hope you like it!

-
Jeb
is like the ordinary and old fashion kerbals, but with a bit veteran and stylish look. I like to think that Jeb is now just like Jeb should be. Simply, lol.

-
Bob
have a really short hair and a big beard, and that do funny contrasts between that little more aggressive new look and his fearful personality.

- And
Bill
is now my little tribute to an astronaut by which I feel a special sympathy:

Generic Kerbals:

Normal head:
made to match the stock version, but pimped!

Covered:
two normal heads, but in covered versions (blue and black).

You maybe notice that veteran faces have subtle wrinkles, all skins are now of a more powerful green, faces have little shadows at the eyes to give them a bit more volume...

...and now kerbals have teeth!!

Despite the info about that in the wiki (kerbals only have two teeth and so on) I love the aspect of artwork kerbals at the game loading... so I made mouths to match more that look.

Suits:

Orange IVA
(+EVA) for veterans
- Inspired on the real orange suits but with a bit fantasy kerbal technology. Its configured like the IVA suit for the custom kerbals (Jeb, Bob and Bill), but (if you change the filenames) it can be used like EVA suit with his own
optional orange jetpack!

White EVA
for all
- Inspired on NASA real ones, but trying to match the stock look as much as possible. With his own "clean" white
jetckpack.

Blue/Orange IVA
for generics kerbals
- Inspired on the old NASA and URSS overall IVA suits.

All suit shares a white NASA-style helmet, with a back impressed logo who represent Kerbin and his moons. (my imaginary "leitmotiv" for the kerbal kind and his space race).

This helmet model have his respective visors: black one for IVA suits and a more reflective orange/golden version for EVA uses.

HD Skybox (4k):

I wanted a more "dark-realist-butnonreal" Skybox. So I've used our spiral galaxy clouds as model... but with a completely remade star-field (with no colored stars), done in spacescape (counting several layers and using almost 100,000 points as stars). Almost any recognizable references at all in this sky. This is a point of continuous work in progress, so I probably update this in the future...

And too:

- Normalmaps for all textures who use it, done with NVIDIA NormalMap filter in APSCs6t to fit and work as well as possible.

- The optional orange jetpack for orange EVA!

- Flags!

PD: But of course you can use all this textures as you wish! ;)

Purposes for update this pack:

- better skybox.

- female heads. (the Wiki says that kerbals don't have gender, and I like to think they reproduction is by Mitosis -which explains his re-spawns/copies?-, but you know, we have female players and maybe the kerbals have a too male aspect to be non-gendered)

- more heads based on real people.

- More, and more heads!

- If Shaw could do it, had the time to do it and desire to implement it as feature in the future... perhaps eyes of color.

This pack is awesome! I really love the detail of the textures! I don't have any pics but I adapted the textures to work with the other kerbal heads(the mask thing) and my space program with logos on the suit, and custom helmets for which rank they are like Commander, Engineer, Field Scientist. Thank you shaw and Proot! :D

Happy to see that you like and enjoy the pack!

I've followed Shaw and Papic's advices, so here comes the first update, please delete and clean the previous version of the pack to avoid problems:

[INDENT][B][Changelog]

[/B]- Added 2 Generic female heads.
- Added Kerbin 8K revamp (small changes at color, biomes are a bit more distinguishable now, added a very subtle touch of noise/rugosity to all surface to reach more realism -perfect flat surfaces are unnatural and boring-).
- Added Mun 4K revamp (based on [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/members/100036-Endraxial"][B]Endraxial[/B][/URL] texture[URL="http://www.reddit.com/r/KSPTexturePacks/comments/1sdhc1/best_textures_for_mun_that_keep_biome_visibility/"] http://www.reddit.com/r/KSPTexturePacks/comments/1sdhc1/best_textures_for_mun_that_keep_biome_visibility/[/URL] , added subtle touches of color to the grey dust+rugosity).
- Added Minimus 4K revamp (100% new revamp, very close to stock colors but the surface draw have more volumes, tones and rugosity now, the crystalline areas have his subtle brights, as must be).
- Added Duna 4k revamp (small changes at color and surface draw in order to reach more similarity to mars aspect and palette, but without lose the red stock aspect of Duna).
- New skybox 4k (based on [URL]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0/page28?p=574333&viewfull=1#post574333[/URL], revamp in HD and endeavouring to reach realistic colors, thanks to Papic for the advices and help, now the starfield have a "milky way" look and behavior).
- Optional Jool revamp in low-res (made for use as base layer with [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-0-23-Release-6-7-Visual-Enhancements-Clouds-City-Lights?p=923843&viewfull=1#post923843"][I]pimp my clouds[/I][/URL])
-All textures are now in high-optimized PNG format, so the size of the pack has decreased considerably, even with all the new textures! (thanks to Shaw for the "101" about PNG optimization!).
[B]
Regards and gratefulness:[/B]

Thanks to Shaw for "Texture Replacer" (mod which shows this textures) by make this possible.
Thanks to Endraxial by allow the small revamp of his mun's texture.
[/INDENT]

Edited by Proot

I've followed Shaw and Papic's advices, so here comes the first update, please delete and clean the previous version of the pack to avoid problems:

[B]
[Changelog]

[/B]

[INDENT]- Added 2 Generic female heads.
- Added Kerbin 8K revamp (small changes at color, biomes are a bit more distinguishable now, added a very subtle touch of noise/rugosity to all surface to reach more realism -perfect flat surfaces are unnatural and boring-).
- Added Mun 4K revamp (based on [URL]http://www.reddit.com/r/KSPTexturePacks/comments/1sdhc1/best_textures_for_mun_that_keep_biome_visibility/[/URL] , added subtle touches of color to the grey dust+rugosity).
- Added Minimus 4K revamp (100% new revamp, very close to stock colors but the surface draw have more volumes, tones and rugosity now, the crystalline areas have his subtle brights, as must be).
- Added Duna 4k revamp (small changes at color and surface draw in order to reach more similarity to mars aspect and palette, but without lose the red stock aspect of Duna).
- New skybox 4k (based on [URL]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44135-0-22-Universe-Replacer-v4-0/page28?p=574333&viewfull=1#post574333[/URL], revamp in HD and endeavouring to reach realistic colors, thanks to Papic for the advices and help, now the starfield have a "milky way" look and behavior).
- Optional Jool revamp in low-res (made for use as base layer with [URL="http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55905-0-23-Release-6-7-Visual-Enhancements-Clouds-City-Lights?p=923843&viewfull=1#post923843"][I]pimp my clouds[/I][/URL])
-All textures are now in high-optimized PNG format, so the size of the pack has decreased considerably, even with all the new textures! (thanks to Shaw for the "101" about PNG optimization!).
[/INDENT]

Nice, I just looked around in the textures, haven't tried in game (have to go to work...), but here are two things I noticed:

1) the kerbalHead3 texture has better hair than the kerbalHead2, which looks a bit smudged on the top... Could you repair that? Also, maybe you could give different colour to the female kerbals (kermins) "cap" (e.g. pink and purple) - if we go with these lips, I do not think that these "girly colours" would be over the top :D. Squad hairpin EXTREMELY COOL!

2) For the skybox, the direction you are going is perfect, but I would like to see more milky way, would that be possible?. Also, could you maybe - if not for the release, then in a separate download - (also) provide the original PNG skyboxes? I am very picky about the jpg compression noise, and I can see some artefacts...

Great work!

Edited by papics

Only if we approach it in Human terms... We should consider the hypothetical naming conventions of Kerbals; maybe "Kerman" is a gender or tribal designation, and the strange compound names they have are actually name+surname, eg. "Shep-Vey". I like the idea of "Kermin" for the Kerbaladies. Presumably the females aren't hired by the KSP on account of Kerbal gender roles, or maybe they are physiologically unsuitable for space travel; we can only speculate until we see some ingame.

As I said, it's a bit weird for us to impress our gender beliefs on them to begin with. I'm afraid a hairpin and bright red lips are entirely a human designation of gender. It is essentially the Star Trek "humans with green skin" paradigm. Of course, there is also familiarityâ€â€we like things that look like us, or remind us of us. We're very sentimental like that. All I'm saying is that a feminist point-of-view would have to demand an equal last name, not that this is truly how Kerbals are. On the psychological side though, the desire to have them conform to a specific standard is entirely separatist in nature. You want them to have a unique last name so you can readily identify them, the same goes for the lips and hairpin. You want to know, at a glance, that they are female.

As for texture packs, I'll be trying out the Pimp My Clouds pack later today. I'd like to do some texture work but I don't see how you guys are previewing your work, how are you avoiding a seam?

Edited by Hyomoto

"Pimp my Kerbals"

Your Kerbin is pretty shiny, so I added an alpha channel to make only the water reflect light. (Also compressed to ~16mb.) I'll admit, however, the "shininess" adds a bit of detail to the terrain in a way that makes it less boring.

Edited by Endraxial

@papics Thanks, those face issues will be fixed in the next update, with more quantity and accurate faces (new "capped and uncapped" -m & f- options coming). Female kerbal aspect still in development.

I love the airpin too, hope the girls do not think it's too hyper-feminine. Rly hard get a true feminine kerbal look (despite to be a non-gender kind, their non stylized complexion results in annoying transvestite aspects when you try to feminize them).

About the galaxy clouds you are right again, I was thinking to use new green galaxy/nebula clouds in the next release, but it's still experimental. And next skybox release in PNG format, for sure.

Your Kerbin is pretty shiny, so I added an alpha channel to make only the water reflect light. (Also compressed to ~16mb.) I'll admit, however, the "shininess" adds a bit of detail to the terrain in a way that makes it less boring.

Before:

http://i.imgur.com/LT65fWk.png

After:

http://i.imgur.com/F7QHaoR.png

Love the detail, but the colors seem a bit too dark for my tastes. I'll take your texture and make my own personal touches to it, though.

I love that touch! Stunning! Biomes are now even more visible! Could you explain me how transparency affects Kerbin texture?

Edited by Proot
Wrong reply

Didn't Astronomer post that with the Eve in the Visual Enhancement Thread? :huh:

Yeah, fail. Next releases will be done in his own thread, in a new merged pack with "pimp my clouds", to avoid off-topics or steal attention from the mods which make it possible.

Edited by Proot

I love that touch! Stunning! Biomes are now even more visible! Could you explain me how transparency affects Kerbin texture?

Tingle puts it best into words in his Universe Replacer thread:

Kerbin1 consist of the DiffuseMap which is on the RGB channels and a SpecularMapClipper which is stored on the ALPHA channel. In the case of Kerbin, Laythe and Eve - bodies with water, the ALPHA channel is where you define the areas of water that the Specular map should be applied to, which will result in a reflection effect only on the oceans.

I honestly have no idea how it "works," but I believe it's how Unity reads textures. It took me a while to figure out how to fix my own Kerbin using only GIMP. Basically I have to split the texture into two layers. Land and water. Put the water texture on top of the land texture, then decrease the land texture's opacity. I have no idea just how transparent you can make the land texture before it bugs out in game. As far as I can tell 30-50% works just fine. Then simply save it, and optionally use a program like pngquant/pnggoo to compress it. Be sure to make a backup of your original texture, though. Tweaking textures after making them transparent is a pain.

That's just how I do it, though. There's probably a much better way.

Edited by Endraxial

Tingle puts it best into words in his Universe Replacer thread:

I honestly have no idea how it "works," but I believe it's how Unity reads textures. It took me a while to figure out how to fix my own Kerbin using only GIMP. Basically I have to split the texture into two layers. Land and water. Put the water texture on top of the land texture, then decrease the land texture's opacity. I have no idea just how transparent you can make the land texture before it bugs out in game. As far as I can tell 30-50% works just fine. Then simply save it, and optionally use a program like pngquant/pnggoo to compress it. Be sure to make a backup of your original texture, though. Tweaking textures after making them transparent is a pain.

That's just how I do it, though. There's probably a much better way.

It's all in the shader. When the texture is passed into the shader, the shader uses the rgb values as the Albedo component, and then uses the alpha as a specularity map for light "shinyness".

One could in theory replace the shader to do all kinds of cool things.

It's all in the shader. When the texture is passed into the shader, the shader uses the rgb values as the Albedo component, and then uses the alpha as a specularity map for light "shinyness".

One could in theory replace the shader to do all kinds of cool things.

As shown by Nova on his Alternis Kerbol thread, he once set it to be a bright red and the result was interesting

Proot, your Mun texture looks awwwfully familiar. I'm flattered. <3 I can spare my current planet textures if you want to give them a makeover.

As shown by Nova on his Alternis Kerbol thread, he once set it to be a bright red and the result was interesting

I really wish I could use that mod just for its warmer lighting. I love how Kerbin looks during the day.

Edited by Endraxial

v0.19 released.

Added `GenericKermins/` directory which is intended for generic female-specific heads/suits, while male textures should be left in `GenericKerbals/`. If you don't (want to) use gender-specific suits just leave everything in `GenericKerbals/` and ignore the new directory.