BROKEN [0.90] TextureReplacer 2.1.2 (20.12.2014)

shaw

ok, thanks. I found out since I asked about the NRM, I still don't understand a few things about applying the color map and the bump map... to exactly the same location on the planet.

For some reason I can't get them to line up. If they are facing the same direction, in game it looks like the colormap is backwards. I tried flipping the image 180deg but that made them so they don't line up I guess I could draw the colormap with the height map above it and the game running in my second monitor but... what a pain. Is there something I can read somewhere that will explain how to line up the two images on the model?

or would flipping the height map 180deg, then draw the colormap on it and save it as the colormap... would that work?

Just yesterday when I was editing Pimp My Kerbals pack I noticed the diffuse texture (color map) is flipped left-to-right. I don't know about heightmap, though. I was never editing planet textures.

I have an old Sido's Texture pack, they are textures for planets and moons. My question, they are in .jpg format, would it be better to convert them to .png or don't bother and leave them alone as .jpg?

Leave JPEG. You gain nothing by converting to PNG, you only increase loading time. If a PNG has no transparency TR converts it from DXT5 to DXT1 (+ generates mipmaps), which takes some time. JPEGs are always loaded as DXT1 by Unity and never need such conversion, only mipmaps need to be generated.

Just yesterday when I was editing Pimp My Kerbals pack I noticed the diffuse texture (color map) is flipped left-to-right. I don't know about heightmap, though. I was never editing planet textures.

Well, im not sure now but what I did was... I edited the map as a bitmap then converted it to a .png and flattened it using paint.net (instead of what ever old #$@ program I was using) then I saved it again as the colormap.png. then I saved that same image as a monochrome and then I saved it as the heightmap.png and both images overlay perfect. I have to clean up the height map... so I have to do it over basicly but all I will have to do is copy that height map, paint it, and save it as the colormap and it should be good. That is if Im right and I really do understand this now lol oh and I changed it to 100ppi, That may be why mine weren't lining up. If the two images have different dpi they won't line up, at least I wouldn't think they would.

I was just reading about exporting your .dae, this is just a shot in the dark but what axes do you have it set to? Anyway, what i am reading says its important to use the COLLADA exporter plugin and configure it to Y-up convention.

This is off subject, kinda, but do you know of a way to add a plane but make it transparent?

Edited by Enriched Uranium

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/8118/ncsb.png

All plugins I have installed (to know it is not conflicts):

TextureReplacer.dll

Toolbar.dll

MultipleSavesDA.dll

CrewManifest.dll

DevHelper.dll

RealChute.dll

WarpPlugin.dll

MechJeb2.dll

TextureCompressor.dll

NearFuture.dll

DeadlyReentry.dll

FerramAerospaceResearch.dll

KerbalLocalTime.dll

InfernalRobotics.dll

StretchyTanks.dll

MMI_Kethane.dll

RemoteTech2.dll

ModuleManager_1_5.dll

VanguardTechnologies.dll

KerbalJointReinforcement.dll

RasterPropMonitor.dll

SCANsat.dll

ferramGraph.dll

KerbalAlarmClock.dll

LandingEngine.dll

FrementGUILib.dll

ExsurgentEngineering.dll

ProceduralFairings.dll

KerbalIspDifficultyScaler.dll

VOID.dll

IoncrossCrewSupport.dll

Firespitter.dll

SelectRoot.dll

KAS.dll

KineTechAnimation.dll

ResGen.dll

Targetron.dll

ChargeMeter2X.dll

EditorExtensions.dll

DYJlibrary.dll

EVAParachutes.dll

Basicpropscript.dll

CleverBobCat.dll

Multiwheels6.dll

How do you get the skybox to load? I absolutely hate the stock skybox and I've always used raredens instead and I can't get it to load which is quite frustrating.

How do you get the skybox to load? I absolutely hate the stock skybox and I've always used raredens instead and I can't get it to load which is quite frustrating.

Put GlaxyTex_* images from a skybox texture pack into `GameData/TextureReplacer/Default/`.

Well, im not sure now but what I did was... I edited the map as a bitmap then converted it to a .png and flattened it using paint.net (instead of what ever old #$@ program I was using) then I saved it again as the colormap.png. then I saved that same image as a monochrome and then I saved it as the heightmap.png and both images overlay perfect. I have to clean up the height map... so I have to do it over basicly but all I will have to do is copy that height map, paint it, and save it as the colormap and it should be good. That is if Im right and I really do understand this now lol oh and I changed it to 100ppi, That may be why mine weren't lining up. If the two images have different dpi they won't line up, at least I wouldn't think they would.

I was just reading about exporting your .dae, this is just a shot in the dark but what axes do you have it set to? Anyway, what i am reading says its important to use the COLLADA exporter plugin and configure it to Y-up convention.

This is off subject, kinda, but do you know of a way to add a plane but make it transparent?

I don't believe DPI of an image has any effect. Can you even set DPI for a PNG? I know its possible for JPEG ...

I've never made any models for Unity, so I'm not familiar with importing Collada models to KSP. I know Y axis point upwards in KSP world, except for internals it's Z up (it points in the direction of a vessel's nose).

yes, I can change the dpi of all formats(EDITED : I double checked and can.) The reason I think dpi will effect the layout of the 2 images is because, if they are not set to the same value (or resolution) the 2 maps have different overall dimensions. Im just starting to learn about ConfigNode but they way I understand it so far is it sets your 0,0,0 point on your texture so if the 2 images have different dimensions they won't line up BUT if this thing just stretchs the maps until they fit the model, I can see how my way of thinking would be wrong.

Its been so long since I have exported solid models from... SilverScreen, I think is the name of my old solid modeling program. It wasn't the best but I really knew how to use it so I liked it better than autocadd lol

I started a new thread and named it... uh lol

Creating an Asset from start to finish.

I have been going threw KSP Wiki and got frustrated with the broken links and the way the information was all over the place and kinda not in order. I have to take notes and I do it in an outline when I am reading to learn.

Some of the stuff I already know, some of it I don't but I posted the thread to learn and help others learn. Right now 99% of it is not my work but I did reorganize it and post links to all the references. Now the information is sequential and all in one spot so i don't break my own concentration when a links busted.

Edited by Enriched Uranium
i double checked if i could change dpi of .png's

I'm having a problem getting custom EVA suits to work. While they seem to work in IVA and on the ground, my Kerbals use the default EVA suit when in space.

Also, visor reflections come up all glitchy in space. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

I'm having a problem getting custom EVA suits to work. While they seem to work in IVA and on the ground, my Kerbals use the default EVA suit when in space.

Also, visor reflections come up all glitchy in space. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Everything seems fine in your log. What exactly do you mean by "default EVA" suit? The stock one or the one in `Default/` folder? If the latter is the case everything works as expected.

About visor; have you replaced environment map textures with some high-res stuff? Cube map textures are very slow and you should keep them as low-res as possible, something like 64x64 or maybe 128x128 at most.

What exactly do you mean by "default EVA" suit? The stock one or the one in `Default/` folder?

The one in "Default". Sorry if I wasn't clear. So how do I replace the EVA suit?

About visor; have you replaced environment map textures with some high-res stuff? Cube map textures are very slow and you should keep them as low-res as possible, something like 64x64 or maybe 128x128 at most.

They're the same Skybox textures I've been using for months. Haven't had any problems with them since I started, except for these reflections. Each one is 2048x2048 pixels. Should I shrink them down?

Edited by Mitchz95

The one in "Default". Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Everything works as expected then. The EVA suit in your `Default` folder is the only one you've got installed according to your logs.

They're the same Skybox textures I've been using for months. Haven't had any problems with them since I started, except for these reflections. Each one is 2048x2048 pixels. Should I shrink them down?

Absolutely. Even if you shrink it to 128x128 or even 64x64, you probably won't notice any difference unless you zoom in the visor very closely.

Everything works as expected then. The EVA suit in your `Default` folder is the only one you've got installed according to your logs.

So do I put the other suits in the "Default" folder then? I have them in separate folders in "GameData/TextureReplacer/Suits"; I thought that's how they were supposed to work.

Edited by Mitchz95

So do I put the other suits in the "Default" folder then? I have them in separate folders in "GameData/TextureReplacer/Suits"; I thought that's how they were supposed to work.

No. It's just that your suit folders only contain IVA suit textures, so the EVA textures are inherited from `Default/` folder. If you want the same suit as in IVA to be used for EVA as well (I guess that's what you wish), make copies of `kerbalMainGrey` and `kerbalMainNRM` and name them `EVAtexture` and `EVAtextureNRM` respectively in each of your suit folders (`Suits/Orange/` and `Suits/Blue/`).

No. It's just that your suit folders only contain IVA suit textures, so the EVA textures are inherited from `Default/` folder. If you want the same suit as in IVA to be used for EVA as well (I guess that's what you wish), make copies of `kerbalMainGrey` and `kerbalMainNRM` and name them `EVAtexture` and `EVAtextureNRM` respectively in each of your suit folders (`Suits/Orange/` and `Suits/Blue/`).

That did the trick. Thank you! :D

Is there any place I can make a texture suggestion/request?

I would just make it myself, but I absolutly suck at texturing, and I don't know if this would go into the normal mod ideas forum or not.

im having problems using planet textures the game crashes when trying to load them

KSP probably runs out of memory. Try using less textures, less mods, ATM or switch to 64-bit KSP.

Is Proot still developing the Pimp my Kerbals pack? I'd love to have more suit colors to choose from...

No, he's later developed KSPRC that includes improved textures from Pimp My Kerbals, among other things. He's updating it when 0.25 comes out, so maybe you should ask him that on KSPRC thread.

Hi there, Im looking for some help or info on planet textures.

I downloaded the real solar system pack and was hoping to use only the moon and mars textures within kerbin to replace Mun and Duna. The textures work and look awesome but there is obviously the issue with the terrain being default beneath the re-skin. The pack does contain the height maps as well but they are named specifically for the real solar system config ie. Mars_height.png. I couldn't find any info as to what the name for Duna and mun height maps. Just to be clear I am not using rss, only the textures through texture replacer.

I was also wondering if this is done through the real solar system config or is it as simple as finding the duna height map name and putting it in the default folder?

I apologize if this isn't very clear, I know absolutely zero about textures and how they work within the game.

Any info on this would be great, cheers.

Edited by AlMacTavish

TR can only replace high-altitude planet textures, cannot change terrain shape or textures. If you set Earth texture for terrain you will see Earth from high altitude (> 300 km) that will slowly blend into Kerbin when you'll go down. You can use heightmaps though, rename them according to OP, but that will only affect bumpmapping effect on the high-altitude textures, not terrain shape.