[WIP][0.90?] PlanetFactory CE

Kragrathea

What would it take, programming wise, to move the center of the universe from Kerbol to a supermassive black hole? Have Kerbol and 1000's of user submitted solar systems orbit that black hole. Effectively forming a galaxy. :cool::D

It would require the Unity engine to switch to 64 bit and a couple of terrabytes of RAM. Solar systems made via this mod are memory intensive.

What would it take, programming wise, to move the center of the universe from Kerbol to a supermassive black hole? Have Kerbol and 1000's of user submitted solar systems orbit that black hole. Effectively forming a galaxy. :cool::D

It would be easier to take Space Engine and make a mod with all features of KSP :)

For the science... I think i am going to try just put in science defs things like this:

FattlSrfLanded: Put your report in here. (Fattl is my planet, idk how to speak this)

Please, once you do that, report about your results.

The only thing that bugs my fun with PF is its problems with science.

Also, you may wish to look at Custom Biomes plugin.

... would it not be easier to have the game only load the system where you're at? Plus where you 're going to?

Try to convince Unity of that :P

Unity likes it when you have all your assets loaded into RAM during execution. That's what the whole startup screen for KSP is. If you look closely you can see it is loading part data into your RAM. That's why the data for a mainsail needs to be in your RAM when you haven't even unlocked it from the tech tree, nevermind flying a ship with it.

The way around this is procedural generation. KSP does this with terrain surfaces, Space Engine does it with whole planetary systems and Minecraft does it with world generation. You basically give the system a bunch of data and tell it to mix it in an interesting way following some randomizer script. The advantage is that you can get a nearly infinite universe while still having great details without eating much RAM. The downside is that this eats a lot of processor power and you only have limited control over the results. It is also rather difficult to do well, especially with very large objects like an entire planet. Its hard to find settings that don't look too repetitive while still pleasing to the eye.

Here's an example of Procedural generation done right. Note that the guy has been working on this since 2010.

I think wee need some placeholder solution for multiple solar system inside planetfactory until stock ksp will feature this (if ever).

Im thinking about some kind of warp drive. Bassicly teleportation. Place some conditions that woudl disallow using it for regular interplanetary travel, like - it cant be used in proximity of larger objects, so you first have to fly wayyyy above moho orbit. And add some huge power requirements or something.

I am creating a planet pack using configs provided by planet factory CE. How do I obtain permissions to upload the pack to the addons forum?

vULmnLi.png

The ring is an orbiting testcraft.

uEvDCQ2.png

Edited by Poryy

When I make a planet, the new texture won't load But, I get this:

Error updating planet Icy

Exception:Failed to create texture because of invalid parameters.

Stack: at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:Internal_Create (UnityEngine.Texture2D,int,int,UnityEngine.TextureFormat,bool,bool,intptr)

at UnityEngine.Texture2D..ctor (Int32 width, Int32 height, TextureFormat format, Boolean mipmap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PFUtil.LoadTexture (System.String name, Boolean embedded) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory.LoadConfiguration (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory.LoadPQS (System.String bodyName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory+PFBody.UpdateBody () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory.OnPSystemReady () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

EDIT: I started the game again, and...

Stack: at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Texture2D:Internal_Create (UnityEngine.Texture2D,int,int,UnityEngine.TextureFormat,bool,bool,intptr)

at UnityEngine.Texture2D..ctor (Int32 width, Int32 height, TextureFormat format, Boolean mipmap) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PFUtil.LoadTexture (System.String name, Boolean embedded) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory.LoadConfiguration (System.Object obj, .ConfigNode node) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory.LoadPQS (System.String bodyName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory+PFBody.UpdateBody () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetFactory.PlanetFactory.OnPSystemReady () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by Sun

I am creating a planet pack using configs provided by planet factory CE. How do I obtain permissions to upload the pack to the addons forum?

Go for it.

Also, exactly how do I make a gas giant?

See Sido planets:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66882-0-23-Sido-Urania-s-System-Pack-A-full-system-of-15-new-planets-and-moon-!

When I make a planet, the new texture won't load But, I get this:

Best guess is you have an odd sized texture. Make sure all textures are 2048x1024 or 1024x512

Go for it.

See Sido planets:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/66882-0-23-Sido-Urania-s-System-Pack-A-full-system-of-15-new-planets-and-moon-!

Best guess is you have an odd sized texture. Make sure all textures are 2048x1024 or 1024x512

I made the textures that size, but I still get this:

UpdateLocal:Icy

I made the textures that size, but I still get this:

UpdateLocal:Icy

Are you sure your texture is in .Png ?

I made a lot of planet and i never got this error :huh:

Now, I got some new textures fresh out of SE, and the log still says:

Exception:Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Stack: at PQSMod_VertexPlanet.OnSetup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.Mod_OnSetup () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.SetupMods () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.StartSphere (Boolean force) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PQS.RebuildSphere () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

The mod seems to have exploded. When I add my planets to the game, Abaddon (My star)

appears to be inside Kerbin, and all added planets have default textures. (Sentar is Jool, Bolboa is Duna...)

it's happened when :

- Your cfg is corrupted (miss a parametre or something else)

- You miss to name your planet

- you call a planet in your mystem.system which do not exist or not well declare

a little bug report when exporting planets with HAS ocean true makes the Blah_map its all blue

Yes i notice that's too, but you can rename your _color in map and it's good :wink:

Something more disturbing i notice, it's when you declare your template as a planet with atmosphere, let's say with use Duna for exemple.

I you don't declare a radius, your planet will take the color, the height and the map of your creation without problem you wil have an atmosphere.

if you've changed the radius you wil not have an atmosphere. in fact it's seem that only the "body" follow the radius change.

let's see with my exemple, if i specified a radius more important than the orginial duna's radius, the atmosphere is here, but she's in reality "underground", so we can't see it.

if i don't specified a radius, my atmosphere come back cause the mod take the default template radius which is the duna one.

I hope that's you planned to change this, IMHO it's more important than have the possibility of changing the atmo's color, the sea's color or anything else :D

keep the good work krag's ! :D

Edited by Sido

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.