[WIP] Loading textures only as required

Faark

That's been the topic of many hours of silent contemplation. We all hope so, of course, but it doesn't look good. The original author is not exactly the most prompt in responding to issues. I looked at the code, but I can't really make any progress without a greater understanding of what the heck it's doing.

As far as I know, dx11 doesn't require a mod... isn't there a command-line parameter to make it launch for dx11? same for OpenGL I believe. But, you see, if I could run with those settings, I wouldn't need anything like LOD. You kinda need to be able to run the program at a level where LOD becomes pointless to even begin to run with those more advanced settings. As for OGL... KSP just blinks between full black screen and my desktop for 5 minutes until I force it to close down.

As far as I know, dx11 doesn't require a mod... isn't there a command-line parameter to make it launch for dx11? same for OpenGL I believe. But, you see, if I could run with those settings, I wouldn't need anything like LOD. You kinda need to be able to run the program at a level where LOD becomes pointless to even begin to run with those more advanced settings. As for OGL... KSP just blinks between full black screen and my desktop for 5 minutes until I force it to close down.

now that

i just saying that in 0.25 dx11 was funky now works good for me (on the same computer ) so it should work better overall

On the up side, using the DDS converter and the DDS Loader mod, I have not had to use this mod at all so far. I still miss the performance upgrade this mod provided, but at least KSP is usable with the alternative setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, technically, you can play without LOD. You just need to load less modded parts into it. I hate not having this too, but with the author out of touch we really have no other choice. I tried to recompile it with the latest KSP libraries, and it failed on too many levels for me to even try to fix.

I don't wanna pull everybody away from this great plugin... but there is a way to play ksp with more mods, using less memory and loads up faster:

Convert all textures to DDS and use a DDS loader plugin.

Here's the DDS texture converter and it will also explains on how to use it:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98672-WIN-KSP-to-DDS-texture-converter

• 4 weeks later...
Well, technically, you can play without LOD. You just need to load less modded parts into it. I hate not having this too, but with the author out of touch we really have no other choice. I tried to recompile it with the latest KSP libraries, and it failed on too many levels for me to even try to fix.

Well i have a very old / longtime played game running so unistall some mods is not possible ... just site here and wait for Faarks return from deep space :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

I don't wanna pull everybody away from this great plugin... but there is a way to play ksp with more mods, using less memory and loads up faster:

Convert all textures to DDS and use a DDS loader plugin.

Here's the DDS texture converter and it will also explains on how to use it:http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98672-WIN-KSP-to-DDS-texture-converter

That's not enough for high moded installs also LOD with DTX would be even more epic .. means to add moooorr mods :D

I'm afraid that, unless we experience a grand new miracle, this mod won't be seeing an update. I continue to look over the code from time to time, as I learn more and more about C# and its inner workings, but this is not just a problem with a KSP mod. This one makes use of some funky DirectX stuff that complicates things further. in the end, you'll just have to take a hard look at the parts in your "mooooorr mods" and make some hard decisions. I've had to cull my B9 parts down to the ones I use the most and remove the ones that aren't used by me or any downloaded craft files (at least, the ones I decided to keep). I also had to take another look at any stock textures (squad folder) that had not been resized yet and do some quality-reduction passes. You don't need a huge texture, no matter how detailed, for a part that, for the majority of the time, is packed away into a 3x3 pixel screen-space. Until we get a stable KSP experience with full use of the maximum ram available on the host system, we will have to continue making these decisions. Even with DXT and LOD there are memory limits.

• 3 weeks later...

I also wish for a feature like this, but we only have a general idea of the workload that Squad employees are tasked with, based on Devnote Tuesday reports, don't know if the idea came up in meetings, was discarded or pushed down the priority list, and/or any reasons why. A mod maker focuses on their feature of choice, for as long as they enjoy doing so. With luck, we should see some improvements in 1.0 if they can quash some memory leaks, and hopefully more improvement with the strongly rumored move to Unity 5, after 1.0.

• 2 weeks later...
I think Faark has had enough of KSP. Is it possible for someone to take this over?

Yeah, wish someone would. His license is "do whatever you want with it:"

LICENSE

Do whatever you want as long as you mention that your stuff is based on this and ofc do whatever is inferred by licenses of 3rd party stuff used by this project.

• 2 weeks later...
Has no one tried to make this run on 0.90 yet? I might give this a try for giggles later.

https://github.com/jamesb6626 has fixed the code for 0.90 and created a pull request. I tried and succeeded to compile his code. And it works too but the ram savings aren't that great due to DirectX 9. OpenGL+ATM seems to do better on saving ram but LoD loaded up quiet quickly.

https://github.com/jamesb6626 has fixed the code for 0.90 and created a pull request. I tried and succeeded to compile his code. And it works too but the ram savings aren't that great due to DirectX 9. OpenGL+ATM seems to do better on saving ram but LoD loaded up quiet quickly.

Thanks I'll check this out, I use this mod primarily for the very short loading times and the ram usually manages to stay under 3.2 Gb, even if the game crashes I can load it back up almost immediately, it's also great for testing mods without losing long load times. I honestly prefer this mod to ATM, although I never really tried to play the game in opengl.

Could you please host the mod somewhere?

Awesome that someone got it to work. I tried many times with no success, but I wasn't as used to coding as I am now. I very much doubt our original author will be coming back to make anything official, so it's good that the license is as open as it is.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.