Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

I let MechJeb fly the rocket, I just punch in the numbers.

...Except for docking, that is. I've been able to handle that since ~'08-09 because I played Orbiter before this (Modded, of course).

I don't get much enjoyment out of manual flight, anyways.

I don't care much about how the stock game is balanced. I don't care much about how mod parts are balanced, either.

I'm not afraid to edit config files to make my own re-purposed, re-sized, over/underpowered versions of stock or mod parts, as I see fit.

Unless my editing fixes a bug in a part, or I get a custom request, I don't share.

It's not that I don't want to share, it's just that I won't think of it, I'm just too lazy to bother uploading it anywhere, and I doubt anyone would want the stuff I come up with anyways.

Couple of Examples:

Before 0.23.5 made the Pb-ION actually moderately useful, I edited it's mass to 0.05t to make it's own weight kill its usefulness for even probes.

After 0.23.5, I edited it's mass to 0.05t because now I'm moving Class A asteroids with them.

IRL, Ion engines don't weigh the same as a same-sized chunk of lead. So my ion engines don't.

Also, my LV-909's act like they're running on LH2 and Lox (Isp: Sea Level = 360, Vac = 450) even on the same fuel mix that Mainsails work with.

Here's my reasoning:

Small upper stage engines IRL usually use LH2+Lox.

The Space Shuttle Main Engine runs on LH2+Lox with Isp of 360 SL and 450 Vac.

There's nothing in the laws of physics that says a smaller engine couldn't be made to run that efficiently.

The RL-10 is a small upper stage engine that uses LH2+Lox, with 10kN of thrust.

A proposed 60kN thrust version of the RL-10 is known as the RL-60.

The LV-909 has 50 kN thrust, so it could be an RL-60 with the extra 10 kN lost because it uses the staged combustion cycle that the SSME uses.

-Edit-

Another sin is that I tend to post walls of text. :P

I̴̠̩̭̯̹ÌÂË̋̈ÌÂ̿Þl̩çé̅Üḛ̬̺̮ṎÌẦÅtÉ̎Æ ̴̥̠ìäaÖÃÂ̦̋̉̓Ìâ€ÃªÌƒÌŠ Ö̻̼̬̤ÌÂÃŒÂÃ…pÈ̪ÕÕÕ̰̾̑Åoîî̚sÇ̦̈̄äÃ΋ÃËœsè҉Ç̥̻̫ÇÈÇe̯̖̒ÌÂÌ‘Ì’s̩̙̒ÌÂÌ‹ÌŠÌ•s̴̻̙çÆãã̌e̬̖̺̺̾dì̃ìÊíÒ̇҉ÉÃâ€ÃŒÂ«ÃŒÂ©ÃŒÂ¤ÃŒÅ¾ÃŒÂ¼ ̜̻̮̳Ẹ̙̀a̜̦Ìâ€Ã—̾Ã’s̺ÙḘ̠̀̓̅ÛÃÅ“tÕ̞Ãâ€ÃŒâ€“Ṳ́rËÌÂ̾̄äéïoÓ̮ÃÂÃÂÉËÌÂÑ̈ÌÂèìãnÓ̩̮̮ÇÙ̾äÊ̈ÌÂa̫̓áu̼̬Î̯̦æṭÌÂ̼̪̖Õ̲Ì̎̊̑ ̻̣̞Ìâ€ÃŠÌˆÌÂ̋̿̃ÃÂjÇÓ̫Åo̵̻̽iÃâ„¢nçÃ΍ Ì©ÌÂêmïïÊÆïÌâ€ÃŒÅ¡ÃÂy̙̗̤̮̖̪̻Ñèîè ̗̠Ó̬è̉̋×̉̉ès̳̜̾ÃÂ̽̋̇p̘̗Ãâ€Ã‰Ì°Ã™Ì»ÌŠÌÂ̓ä̅̓aÃŒÂï̋̓҉ÃÂcÌ«ÌÂ̤̻ÓÌÂ̈ÌÂâeÃŒÌ̒îê×̚ÃÂÎ̜̜̖̪ ̪̹̩È̠̻íáp̜̩ÕÈÛÌÂÌ‚ÃÂ¥ÃÅ’rÉ̯̘̯̋̈ÌÂî̆æ̿o̯ÕÚÊäë̕g̒̃rììÃÂ×ÌÂÊ҉̖Ú̠ÖaÃŒÂ̱m̟̣Ú̀̿Â̈ÌÂç̋̀,̫̭̖̮̥̗ìã̽̽ÌÂ̠̿̈ä̂̂̀a̖Ù̼ÌÂ̅î̋ÃÂ̓ên̘Ị̻̘̂ÌÂÌŠÃÅ ÃŒÂÌŠd̪Ö̜ÌÂÃĄ̭̠̭̜̗̩̂h̜̭̫î̌ÞeçëëÊÛ҉ Ö̪̹Õ̗ÃÅ’i̯̟ÙÉÃÂä̀̌n̩̣È̩̫̗̟Ìâ€Ã†f̛̣̰Ãâ€ÃŒÅ“ÃÂ̺Ìâ€ÃŒÂ¾e̗̘̱̟É̋̈̃̽Ë̕Åc̣̫̥É̲̺Ê×̓æt̼̲̮̯̜Ç̣̄̿æ̀Ìâ€eÃŒÂ̲̙̪̞̗̗d̘Õ ̰Ṵ̀Õ̺ÓÃÂäÃÅ’ÃÅ’ÃÂ̽ßm̓҉̘̙ÓÙ̘Ö̯y̮̰̖î̋æ̽̉̚ ̧å̅Æc̻̣Î̤Ã¥êÛ̓̋̈Ño̳ämÓ̹ÃËœpÌŸÌ™ÌÂÂ̆äîÌÂuÙÆéËÃΑÃËœt̻̖éÆ̆ÂÌâ€Ã‚ìe̹ï̎ÌÂ̈̈ÌÂr̦̖ï̌̚.̵̘̜̜̲̺Ç̘ë

I used MechJeb for nearly everything up until 0.22 (been clean since then).

I quicksave/quickload like pushing F9 gives me tangible pleasure.

Rather than going to the trouble of rescuing Kerbals stranded beyond Kerbin's SOI, I usually just smash them into the ground and get them off my map view (and conscience).

The island airfield is littered with wreckage from my many failed attempts at flying aircraft.

I have an enormous space station loaded with something like 35 Kerbals just sitting in orbit, because I was sick of the same damn crew spawning every time I started a new flight. Speaking of which...

There is, regex made one called RandomCrew. You can find it here.

You are a god.

Edited by ammonia_ocean

Space Plane Sins

SAS, it is way too useful but I am starting to use it less ( hard to see if a space plane is stable when you cant fly it without SAS)

Mech jeb above reasons.

Rockets...

mech jeb to dock I just don't ant to waste the time ( harder now that I am building larger rockets and it doesn't work well)

Building rockets way to big when a smaller one will do just as well. just so much easier since the stronger attachment was added

kill the occasional kerbal instead of reverting the flight, hey some times its just a bad design and it needs a kerbal to die to prove it.

• 3 weeks later...

I rarely ever send crewed missions outside of Kerbin's SOI. In fact, while I used to land on the Mun extremely frequently, I don't even really do that anymore.

I use Mechjeb and Hyperedit all the time and think you should too

I'm fixin' to install MechJeb to handle ascent for me. I've done literally hundreds of gravity turns and circularization burns and I can't take it any more. D:

Hey, this thread's back. :)

I don't understand orbits as well as I should. Apoapsis, periapsis, eccentricity I have down cold. Semi-major axis I think I get. Argument of periapsis, standard gravitational parameter, Vis-viva equation, I start getting pretty fuzzy.

I am not a rocket scientist. I am not your rocket scientist. Before doing any spaceflight, please consult a rocket scientist licensed to practice in your area..

I use deadly-reentry and Far.

I get a kick out of building rockets that ascend so fast they kill the crew from G-Forces.

I tested some of the life support mods by timewarping until the crews died.

I had a sandbox save with over 185 casualties...it was dedicated to entirely to testing concepts and designs until failure...over and over and over...and just improving my piloting skills by attempting highly improbable mission scenarios and methods, such as intentionally manufactured component failures.

I get a kick out of building rockets that ascend so fast they kill the crew from G-Forces.

I hit the atmospheres so fast that i completely redline the g-force meter just to save fuel on returns.

I also pull positive gees on gravity turns.

Lately sometimes I "ragequit" and purposely crash my vehicle, usually killing the crew... I'm not proud of it but it's a good stress reliever when a mission is going badly. Most of the time I revert after doing that but not always.

So a few months ago I launched the U.K.S. Intrepid, my first attempt at a Laythe landing. I'd never been there before, and didn't really know what to expect. I was fairly confident I had enough fuel to make the trip, but just to be safe I stuck an ion-powered emergency engine to the back of my lander, the Enterprise. And I put a fuel station around Dres in case I needed to stock up on LFO.

Anyway, I launched and made the transfer no problem. Will Kerman landed fine, but turns out the lander didn't have enough fuel to get back into orbit, let alone rendezvous with its transfer stage. I had to launch a rescue mission (an unmanned rover) from Kerbin to deliver fuel, and of course it crashed thirty kilometers away from the landing site. Fortunately the Enterprise had some contingency systems and I was able to repair the rover and get it back to the landing site where I refueled the lander. I made it back into orbit and had the transfer stage make the rendezvous. Docking went without a hitch.

At this point, I was a bit concerned about fuel so I decided to head over to that Dres fuel depot. The transfer stage ran out of fuel, so I ditched it and activated the ion engine for the inclination change. Those things are really hyped for their efficiency, so I never bothered to consider the possibility that they could run dry. Guess what happened.

At this point, I had about 500m/s left in the LFO tanks. Enough to get that Dres encounter, but nowhere near enough to circularize. At that point, I gave up on Will and self-destructed the ship. :(

I have a bad habit of losing power while on missions and leaving spaceships stranded. This seems to have been happening a lot with my Mun Space Station project lately.

I've launched five probes to other planets, not a single one has reached it's destination. I seem to either be doing hilariously inefficient burns or I'm not counting my Delta V correctly.

I got weeks/months without playing the game depending on how frustrated I am with myself and/or whatever projects I'm working on.

I always seem to get into hilarious orbits whenever I try and transfer to one of the moons. There are a lot of times where I will end up with an extremely tilted orbit, a few times being completely North/South, or I will end up orbiting in the opposite direction of my Space Station I'm targeting.

I have a habit when rendezvousing with an object of just getting a closest approach to show up on my screen, circularizing the orbit as much as I can and then waiting for a really close approach (around 10km or so) before moving on to maneuvering by hand. This can, and has, taken weeks to occur sometimes.

My orbits hardly ever resemble circles.

Edited by ClearlySane88

In the early game I miscalculated all fuel requirements. Not only did I ignore Oberth effect, but I also accidentally did not take the orbital velocity into account correctly, so that what I was calculating was:

opLqCfc.png

Well, since I did the burns correctly, I was always wondering why I used so little fuel compared to what I had planned... A few missions later I realized my mistake and started recalculating.

Positive side effect: Now I have a working design for a 14000 m/s dV ship that can be launched fully fuelled, has a capacity of 5 Kerbals and brings along a lab. This came in handy when I was planning the currently running mission to Moho, since it still has a lot of spare fuel, although I attached a quite heavy Mk2 can based lander.

Edit: Looking at my drawing after posting it reminded me of something. Luckily I put some text between the circles, otherwise it might have lead to the same associations as the famous Yacoby double dot (look at the top SEM picture of the left column and think dirty)...

Edited by soulsource

On more than one occasion I may have run out of electricity without a solar panel extended. I may or may not have gone into the save to give myself enough power to quickly extend an array or two, saving the mission.

:blush:

The first time I tried to get out and push I didn't realized my Kerbal's jetpack also used fuel, so I pushed until he ran out of juice and had no way to get back in the capsule, I sitll can't do rescue missions so they're still stranded orbiting around Kerbin.

I repeatedly get bored of trying to tweak my space planes so that they're able to reach a stable orbit. After a while I just strap 4 x Thor SRBs to the wings and go to do something else.

I just committed my KSP sin and it was making a joke about .24 being released as a way of starting fireworks for the 4th of July of early (I even said the post was going to be erased in ten minutes) well they erased it for me in less than 2.

guess the forum managers didn't like a joke about fireworks

-rex

who better stop posting and hide so I can keep my posting privileges open

Built a lander probe (phoenix style) to go to duna loaded with science to be done.. got there deployed all science and found that I had neglected to add a comunicatron rendering the whole mission worthless.. just landed some scrap :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.