[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Are you playing sandbox or career?

If career, have you unlocked the RT parts in the tech tree?

A command pod alone won't do anything unless you're just sitting on the launch pad. What antennas are you using?

im playing sandbox.

i tried all pods and all antennas.

the icon is still red and i can command the pod like theres crew in it... no problem to fly to the mun, for example...

From your description, it sound like RemoteTech works just fine. The fact that you're seing the red icon indicates very strongly that at least the code part of RemoteTech is installed just fine. It sounds like you are just in local control (the kerbal in the pod having direct control of the ship) but don't have the requisite parts for the ship to send/receive signals with KSC.

In order to remote control a satellite, you need two things: An activated antenna, with a connection to KSC and a SPU (Signal processing unit) to process the signal.

The pods (the ones that can carry kerbals) do not function as SPUs, you'll need one of the the probe cores for that. Also make sure that your antennae are actually activated. Basically only the Reflectron DP-10 starts out activated. It also won't blow off in flight when deployed like most of the other antennae will do.

RemoteTech has somewhat of a steep learning curve. I recommend you read the wiki before going much further.

Of course it might be that ModuleManager isn't installed. Most of the modules added by RemoteTech are added through ModuleManager.

maybe try posting a screenshot of your ship, so we can take a look at what parts you've put on it.

From your description, it sound like RemoteTech works just fine. The fact that you're seing the red icon indicates very strongly that at least the code part of RemoteTech is installed just fine. It sounds like you are just in local control (the kerbal in the pod having direct control of the ship) but don't have the requisite parts for the ship to send/receive signals with KSC.

In order to remote control a satellite, you need two things: An activated antenna, with a connection to KSC and a SPU (Signal processing unit) to process the signal.

The pods (the ones that can carry kerbals) do not function as SPUs, you'll need one of the the probe cores for that. Also make sure that your antennae are actually activated. Basically only the Reflectron DP-10 starts out activated. It also won't blow off in flight when deployed like most of the other antennae will do.

RemoteTech has somewhat of a steep learning curve. I recommend you read the wiki before going much further.

Of course it might be that ModuleManager isn't installed. Most of the modules added by RemoteTech are added through ModuleManager.

maybe try posting a screenshot of your ship, so we can take a look at what parts you've put on it.

ah thank you, i got it

it works now with modulemanager

ah thank you, i got it

it works now with modulemanager

Just a heads up. For almost all mods, if you don't install everything in the mod something is likely to break. Sometimes very badly, like save coruptingly bad. Any time you plan to not install the full package make sure that's ok first.

Hello,

Perhaps it's been asked before, but is it possible (or perhaps can the mod be extended) to have Kerbals control robots? At this point, robots can only be controlled by KSC, but I would like a vessel containing a Kerbal to move into range and have him control the robot! This would make landings of robots on planets/moons much easier when using a lander/command module configuration!

Greetings,

Gesture

Perhaps it's been asked before, but is it possible (or perhaps can the mod be extended) to have Kerbals control robots? At this point, robots can only be controlled by KSC, but I would like a vessel containing a Kerbal to move into range and have him control the robot! This would make landings of robots on planets/moons much easier when using a lander/command module configuration!

If you are looking to reduce the signal delay, look into the command station parts:

http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/#command-stations

Command Stations

For those extra long distance missions, it is possible to set up a team of Kerbals to act as a local command center. Setting up a command station is a major undertaking for situations where you really need real-time control of nearby probes. It is not something to be attempted lightly (literally).

Command Stations allow you to work without the signal delay to Kerbin, which might otherwise climb up to several minutes. However, a Command Station cannot process science; a connection to KSC will still be required for that. Command Stations require a special probe part and a minimum number of kerbals on the same ship. Consult your VAB technicians for more information.

Note that these are late-game (550 or 1000 tech node) parts.

I have a few questions about a annoying bug I have been encountering. First some background: I figured out by trial and error that probe cores don't work right if it isn't the first part placed when designing. For example, when I place a cockpit as the initial part and then attach a probe core to it, I get a bug: loading the game with no Kerbals in that ship, it will act like there is no connection even though I get a green calculator and I'm clearly in omni range.

My questions:

Is this the root part bug?

Is there a way to avoid this without the probe core being the initial part, like make it the root before launch?

I have several ships far afield I would like to fix rather than replace. Is there a way to fix this bug by editing my save file?

Edit:

At the very least is this a known bug or is it just me?

Installed mods:

KSP: 0.90 (Win32) - Unity: 4.5.5f1 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

USI Tools - 0.3.2

Community Resource Pack - 0.3.3

Editor Extensions - 2.5

Ferram Aerospace Research - 0.14.6

Firespitter - 7.0

Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.1.1

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.5

MemoryUsage - 1.2

Docking Port Alignment Indicator - 5.1

RealChute - 1.2.6.3

Regolith - 0.1.7

RemoteTech - 1.6.3

StockRT - 1.2

SCANsat - 1.1

StageRecovery - 1.5.3

TAC Life Support - 0.10.2.15

Trajectories - 1.1.3

Kerbal Alarm Clock - 3.2.3

Transfer Window Planner - 1.2.3

Karbonite - 0.5.5

Karbonite Plus - 0.3

Universal Storage - 1.0.90.2

Edited by democedes

Here is a strange bug I have encountered with Remote Tech on 0.90: I am experiencing a phantom roll when SAS is enabled. I've got a pretty heavily modded game (FAR being the chief gameplay mod) and at first I thought it was some strange FAR interaction, but it turns out that the phenomenon also occurs in space. And I emphasize this occurs only when SAS is enabled; turning SAS off stabilizes the craft. I went ahead and built a new craft just to guarantee there were no clipping forces and sure enough, same result. Stock crafts: same result. I went ahead and removed Remote Tech, and voila! No more phantom roll!

If there's any debugging information I can get you, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'd love to resolve this; I haven't played with Remote Tech in quite some time and I was looking forward to a bit more of a challenge.

I've made a pack with some new antennas for RemoteTech, it's not much: just some recolor and resize of the stock dish with some higher reach (I did this to set up a com sistem around jool and reach all the moons without using the overkill bigger antenna to talk to each moon)

I tried writing a pm to the OP but have received no answer, does anyone know if there are licence problems with me putting this "expansion" out there?

If someone that works on remote tech would like to take a look just pm me, I'll send you the files. Also I could use some help balancing the energy consumptions and those settings

I can confirm the bug where WASDQE actions let me move the ship in real time despite almost 2min of signal delay showing. To be honest tho, I like it. Using the flight computer to position the craft to take photos with an onboard camera is simply a pain in the rear, especially since the position/orientation of the camera differs from craft to craft so writing a tool to help you point would be difficult. Plus, depending on how the control unit on some craft are oriented the commands you send won't be what you think. For example I can tell it to hold 90, 90, 90 and it will send a command to hold 0, 270, 180. Bah! :P I would ask the devs to allow this issue to remain as an option, if possible.

One issue I did notice that's troubling though is it seems SAS turns "off" when connection is dropped. That is, the unit still shows power and the SAS light is on but it fails to maintain orientation. Given that this is a local thing, connection status shouldn't have an affect on it like this.

Hey guys,

I have searched all the forum for a solution to my problem but can't see anyone with my problem

I was playing stock for a month decided its time to mod KSP and remote tech 2 was one of those. I terminated all crafts from space that were existing but kept my tech tree. I first launched a manned spacecraft to get 4 probes into space as the tutorial suggests (3 equally spaced KEO plus 1 backup above kerbal space center).

But now I want to send my first unmanned satellite transporter into orbit and I had no connection on the launch pad. I tried building the most simplest rocket (see pictures) to see if it was conflicting mods, but I still have the same result (see below). So if I am doing something seriously stupid please tell me

JXwMvLl.jpg

Ft55Jwy.jpg

BilcCu0.jpg

and here are the mods I have installed.

fii6qrt.jpg

Any suggestions or help is appreciated, I have run out of ideas!!

What are you talking about? you do have connection. Look at the top right corner below MET. That's green, those numbers represent the time delay. you're connected to the KSC directly by your radial omni antennas(which you only need one but it could be an aesthetic choice).

The ComSats at KEO are too far to use those, you'd need to activate and point your dish antenna at one of them, preferable the one above the KSC

- - - Updated - - -

I can confirm the bug where WASDQE actions let me move the ship in real time despite almost 2min of signal delay showing. To be honest tho, I like it. Using the flight computer to position the craft to take photos with an onboard camera is simply a pain in the rear, especially since the position/orientation of the camera differs from craft to craft so writing a tool to help you point would be difficult. Plus, depending on how the control unit on some craft are oriented the commands you send won't be what you think. For example I can tell it to hold 90, 90, 90 and it will send a command to hold 0, 270, 180. Bah! :P I would ask the devs to allow this issue to remain as an option, if possible.

One issue I did notice that's troubling though is it seems SAS turns "off" when connection is dropped. That is, the unit still shows power and the SAS light is on but it fails to maintain orientation. Given that this is a local thing, connection status shouldn't have an affect on it like this.

I think this may be the issue with my mod. I thought I had found a solution to this but it failed on time delay check. Are you positive time delay doesn't affect wasdqe? how about throttle control or SAS, RCS toggle

Are you positive time delay doesn't affect wasdqe? how about throttle control or SAS, RCS toggle

Very positive. I press key, ship instantly reacts. Time delay to Duna is currently 104s. SAS/RCS toggles work with delay, which I don't mind.

I'm not sure if this is an issue, may be someone could explain that prior to registering on GitHub for issue posting. Here it is:

I've noticed that if you have an inactive vessel with "hold node" command in the Flight Computer then it turns to node every time you switch to it. Once it has its direction set to the node, you can switch-out/switch in to it and you'll find that it doesn't point in right direction, it starts turning again... every time. Here is the situation when this annoys:

I have launched a threesome of SCANsat satellites to raise scanning effeciency. At some point of orbit I separated them and set maneuver nodes for two of them to further increase their inclinations to +10 degrees and -10 degrees accordingly, have set their flight computers to "node" and "exec" and switched to the center sat to watch the "movie". At the moment of execution on RT version 1.5.1 and KSP 0.25 I saw my satellites turning their engines on and passing in opposite directions exactly as they should, straight and accurately. But on RT 1.6.3 and KSP 0.90 my satellites made S-like trajectories ending up with an error of apoapsis around 50 km each :huh: I'm almost sure that this is caused by wrong direction that persists for non-active vessels for some reason.

Edited by Ser

I just wanna re-iterate that I hope this stays as a "feature" or can at least be toggled on/off in the game. I'm all for realism but it is stupid hard to position a ship for photos or good solar alignment using raw coordinates in the Flight Computer

I just wanna re-iterate that I hope this stays as a "feature" or can at least be toggled on/off in the game. I'm all for realism but it is stupid hard to position a ship for photos or good solar alignment using raw coordinates in the Flight Computer

this weekend i might dig into this and fix the bug. if i do it will not be remaining as an option.

so you got any good advice for me to not have to guess my way towards a particular craft orientation? Seriously, I'll do it the "real" way but I'm having a lot of trouble without feeling like I have to resort to taking extra time to devise some sort of kOS helper script. Sun-tracking panels make things a bit easier, but photos are the worst. I'm not sure how they actually do it with real probes (prob a custom program, like my kOS script would be) but doing it in the game is just horrible with the RT Flight Computer. Send initial coordinates (which BTW I have to get from the FAR flight data window). Time accel. Adjust coordinates. Time accel. Adjust coordinates. Time accel. Repeat ad nauseum until you finally get something worth snapping a photo of - if the opportunity hasn't passed you by. In which case, reload the quicksave and repeat...

so you got any good advice for me to not have to guess my way towards a particular craft orientation? Seriously, I'll do it the "real" way but I'm having a lot of trouble without feeling like I have to resort to taking extra time to devise some sort of kOS helper script. Sun-tracking panels make things a bit easier, but photos are the worst. I'm not sure how they actually do it with real probes (prob a custom program, like my kOS script would be) but doing it in the game is just horrible with the RT Flight Computer. Send initial coordinates (which BTW I have to get from the FAR flight data window). Time accel. Adjust coordinates. Time accel. Adjust coordinates. Time accel. Repeat ad nauseum until you finally get something worth snapping a photo of - if the opportunity hasn't passed you by. In which case, reload the quicksave and repeat...

you could turn off the signal delay? Im sorry if i sounded like i would take that option away.

you could turn off the signal delay? Im sorry if i sounded like i would take that option away.

No the signal delay is what I use the mod for. I'm saying I would also gladly use the mod w/signal delay to point my craft, it's just the mod is not able to give you an effective means to do so. That's why unlocking the WASDQE controls from signal delay is such a nice thing. Every other aspect of the mod when using signal delay is well done. But when it comes to pointing craft the "realism" of the mod makes things more difficult than they should ever be for general-purpose use on any space craft. It's one of those gameplay vs. realism balance things. Sure, people can say "well then if you can WASDQE at will why even bother having the flight computer and signal delay?" to which I respond that using the Flight Computer is now a choice rather than a requirement. I can choose to point my craft in real-time for orienting solar panels and cameras and use the Flight Computer to properly program orientation and burns for maneuvers - something it's very good at doing.

Of course, as I've said, it could be inexperience talking and I need to just better understand how craft orientation is handled to be able to use the RT Flight Computer properly to get things oriented without having to guess my way towards a solution. In that case if anyone has suggestions I'm all ears

Is it possible to make RT deactivate antennas temporarily when a vessel is out of electric power? It sucks to completely lose a probe because you turned on one too many antennas while you're in the outer system with insufficient solar power.