[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

Sorry if this has been posted before but i cbf going through x number of posts. Concerning the kso mechjeb ive ran into some issues where it stays under local control. I like to use it on most my craft espically my comsats, its smaller and less ugly.

After some digging around in mechjeb 2 (where the kso mechjeb part files are), and the remotetech folders i found a file called: RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg in the remotetech folder it looks like this...

//Support for MechJeb probe core

// Original config by Cilph

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleSPU]]:AFTER[MechJeb2]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]

{

// Append tag to the existing part name

@title ^= :$: (ModuleSPU):

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

}

So i opened it with my trusty notepad++ i added this code to it...

@PART[mechjebkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleSPU]]:AFTER[MechJeb2]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

}

So now it looks like...

// Support for MechJeb probe core

// Original config by Cilph

@PART[mumech_MJ2_AR202]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleSPU]]:AFTER[MechJeb2]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

}

//Support for KSO MechJeb

//Added in by freakneek

@PART[mechjebkso]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleSPU]]:AFTER[MechJeb2]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

}

Saved it as the same name (RemoteTech_MechJeb.cfg) and tested....

KABOOM! it now has RemoteTech support and works.

Hope this helps people who use the kso mechjeb. Could this be added in the next release? It would be my first contribution to ksp since i started 2 years ago.

Thanks for the great mod and plugin and i hope my spoiler tags work im posting on my mobile phone :-p

EXCELLENT!!...Thanx!

I run tons of mods, so I delete parts I never use...I deleted the Mechjeb parts, and ONLY use the KSO part... :)

ok here goes,

So what exactly does this change do? And if it does what I think it does (marking the part as remote-controlled device?), can I just take that "name = ModuleSPU"-part for my Computer Core?

/edit: and what part would I need to take? What about the @PART and @title lines, or would the Module {...} stuff suffice?

ok first question - yes this implements RemoteTech to the parts.

secondly - ill install Interstellar tonight and make a new cfg (to drop in the RemoteTech folder)

the one i just modded for KSO is based on the code that Cilph originally configured. no promises though, im not sure if interstellar is updated to 0.90.0. All credit goes to the makers of the code so if anyone has any objections to me helping people to mod the code or feels im overstepping my bounds please let me know so i can edit/delete my posts.

JUST TO AVOID ANY CRAP THIS IS NOT MY CODE IM JUST MODDING IT FOR MY OWN USE!

otherwise try copying this and pasting it after the last MODULE code in the part cfg file notepad or notepad++. MAKE SURE THAT YOU DONT PASTE IT AFTER THE VERY LAST "}" IN THE FILE!!!

example;

MODULE

{

name = XXXX

xxxx = xxxx

}

//PASTE HERE LIKE THIS!

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

//BUT NOT AFTER THIS "}"

}

Give a a go and let me know otherwise if its too confusing pm me.

EXCELLENT!!...Thanx!

I run tons of mods, so I delete parts I never use...I deleted the Mechjeb parts, and ONLY use the KSO part... :)

you are more than welcome just trying to help :-)

happy kerbaling!

freak

EDIT;

I've just looked at interstellar and in my honest opinion its a bit of a mess, with so many forks that i'm not going to touch it until there is a definitive version.

So your better off modding the code in the respective parts cfgs as i've shown above.

Edited by freakneek
corrected spoilertags, stupid BB code!

ok here goes,

ok first question - yes this implements RemoteTech to the parts.

secondly - ill install Interstellar tonight and make a new cfg (to drop in the RemoteTech folder)

the one i just modded for KSO is based on the code that Cilph originally configured. no promises though, im not sure if interstellar is updated to 0.90.0. All credit goes to the makers of the code so if anyone has any objections to me helping people to mod the code or feels im overstepping my bounds please let me know so i can edit/delete my posts.

JUST TO AVOID ANY CRAP THIS IS NOT MY CODE IM JUST MODDING IT FOR MY OWN USE!

otherwise try copying this and pasting it after the last MODULE code in the part cfg file notepad or notepad++. MAKE SURE THAT YOU DONT PASTE IT AFTER THE VERY LAST "}" IN THE FILE!!!

example;

MODULE

{

name = XXXX

xxxx = xxxx

}

//PASTE HERE LIKE THIS!

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

//BUT NOT AFTER THIS "}"

}

Give a a go and let me know otherwise if its too confusing pm me.

you are more than welcome just trying to help :-)

happy kerbaling!

freak

EDIT;

I've just looked at interstellar and in my honest opinion its a bit of a mess, with so many forks that i'm not going to touch it until there is a definitive version.

So your better off modding the code in the respective parts cfgs as i've shown above.

It did the trick. Thank you very much! :)

This was the behavior for the 0.25 version of RemoteTech, I've also asked for it to come back since I can't have the flight computer controlling the craft in any way when doing RCS thrust for maneuvers

Gaiiden, please check out the feature request I posted on RT's GitHub: https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/364.

To the RT2 devs. I made some change in the last MJ dev version that may have some impact on RT2 interaction with MJ

I moved MJ from OnFlyByWire to OnAutopilotUpdate (I wanted to do it since 0.90 but always forgot) and it now respect InputLockManager.

I did not have a look at RT2 code for a while but it should makes your life easier (I hope)

RT2 Dev.

Hi. First off, thank you for making this mod. I am new to RT, but not new to KSP. Some background info, I am currently playing career mode. I downloaded RT2, and I placed the unzipped file in the 'gamedata' file like I do all my other mods. I have unlocked the science tree up until the 500 science limit. However, none of the remote tech parts are showing up in the game. I have two questions for you. The first one is how far in the tech tree must I research before I get remote tech parts (thinking that I haven't played enough)? Second, if the parts should have already been unlocked, did I download the mod and place it in the folder incorrectly? Please give me some help or advice here! Thanks!

RT2 Dev.

Hi. First off, thank you for making this mod. I am new to RT, but not new to KSP. Some background info, I am currently playing career mode. I downloaded RT2, and I placed the unzipped file in the 'gamedata' file like I do all my other mods. I have unlocked the science tree up until the 500 science limit. However, none of the remote tech parts are showing up in the game. I have two questions for you. The first one is how far in the tech tree must I research before I get remote tech parts (thinking that I haven't played enough)? Second, if the parts should have already been unlocked, did I download the mod and place it in the folder incorrectly? Please give me some help or advice here! Thanks!

have you gone back in to see if the RT part research needs to be 'purchased' in the tech tree node you have unlocked? that messes me up all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

To the RT2 devs. I made some change in the last MJ dev version that may have some impact on RT2 interaction with MJ

I moved MJ from OnFlyByWire to OnAutopilotUpdate (I wanted to do it since 0.90 but always forgot) and it now respect InputLockManager.

I did not have a look at RT2 code for a while but it should makes your life easier (I hope)

Thanks for the heads up :) we will have to try them out together.

RT2 Dev.

The folder path should be KSP/GameData/RemoteTech more then likely you have the wrong path.

have you gone back in to see if the RT part research needs to be 'purchased' in the tech tree node you have unlocked? that messes me up all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the heads up :) we will have to try them out together.

And see, thats the problem I'm having. The parts dont even show up in the tech tree...

I went and checked the path, and that is what the path reads. I know the mod is on because I see remote tech features like the red dot showing where KSC is while playing.

Which sounds a lot like you did not extract things to the correct location. Some mods have a GameData folder inside the zip file, others don't.

Assuming a Steam-based install, the RemoteTech.version file, Parts and Plugin directories all need to be located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RemoteTech

The RemoteTech/ folder is the right under GameData/, with a Parts and Plugin directory below RemoteTech/.

Which sounds a lot like you did not extract things to the correct location. Some mods have a GameData folder inside the zip file, others don't.

Assuming a Steam-based install, the RemoteTech.version file, Parts and Plugin directories all need to be located in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\RemoteTech

The RemoteTech/ folder is the right under GameData/, with a Parts and Plugin directory below RemoteTech/.

Yep, thats exactly how I have it extracted. You are correct that its a steam based install.

Its been a heck of a long time since I posted here, but I finally got back into KSP and I downloaded this mod because I specifically remember it including this cool drone thing that could fold up. But I see it isn't here. And I also remember there being little mini satelites that could be dropped from craft. Where they all removed?

Update: hello everyone. Here is an update on the problem I was having. The parts are now showing up in the game during sandbox mode, but not career mode. I know the first antenna should be available when you unlock stayputnik. Can anybody offer a solution or an explanation as to why?

Update: hello everyone. Here is an update on the problem I was having. The parts are now showing up in the game during sandbox mode, but not career mode. I know the first antenna should be available when you unlock stayputnik. Can anybody offer a solution or an explanation as to why?

If you added RemoteTech to an existing install, you'll need to go through the tech tree and manually unlock the various antennas. Same applies for any part added after it's tech requirement is already unlocked.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a question: If I'm going to build a minmus network for communicating with my kerbin network, is it better to have a dish pointed at Kerbin, or just Active vessel?

Point at Kerbin.

I must be missing something here. Probes seem to be entirely impossible to even launch under RemoteTech, because there's no way to tell them to communicate with anything without a connection. A serious bootstrapping issue, in short. I should not need another completely different mod to get this mod to even be feasible. Why do probes start out with zero connection to the launch site? They start out at the launch site! Please tell me what I'm missing here, and please don't tell me to install that smart-whatever mod to make this mod behave in a sane manner.

I must be missing something here. Probes seem to be entirely impossible to even launch under RemoteTech, because there's no way to tell them to communicate with anything without a connection. A serious bootstrapping issue, in short. I should not need another completely different mod to get this mod to even be feasible. Why do probes start out with zero connection to the launch site? They start out at the launch site! Please tell me what I'm missing here, and please don't tell me to install that smart-whatever mod to make this mod behave in a sane manner.

Reflectron DP-10, always active.

A pointy end towards direction of travel, or it brakes like the other antennas.

Reflectron DP-10, always active.

A pointy end towards direction of travel, or it brakes like the other antennas.

I tried that. Hell, I've tried every single antenna. They all start out undirected, and of course RemoteTech does not let you issue any commands to a probe that has no connection, so I cannot tell it to point at Mission Control. Even if it is literally pointing right at Mission Control on the launchpad!

EDIT: Alright, I found the one antenna in the entire mod that makes even a modicum of sense. Why the hell does only that antenna have the option to do the one thing you need antennae to do for a probe to function at all under RemoteTech? That strikes me as amazingly poor design.

Edited by SkyRender

I tried that. Hell, I've tried every single antenna. They all start out undirected, and of course RemoteTech does not let you issue any commands to a probe that has no connection, so I cannot tell it to point at Mission Control. Even if it is literally pointing right at Mission Control on the launchpad!

EDIT: Alright, I found the one antenna in the entire mod that makes even a modicum of sense. Why the hell does only that antenna have the option to do the one thing you need antennae to do for a probe to function at all under RemoteTech? That strikes me as amazingly poor design.

If you know how to edit the cfg's you can edit out the line MaxQ= *** and that should fix it.

[...]

Reflectron DP-10?

Because every other antenna is intended for communication in space and only one is needed for launch/atmo...

You could have 10 different ones for launch/atmo, but that would not make sense.

This is the RemoteTech Guide:

http://remotetechnologiesgroup.github.io/RemoteTech/guide/

And in my signature, you find the SETI-BalanceMod, which adds a 160km always-on omni antenna to every probe core.

If you're not getting a control signal when you roll out a probe core to the pad with a DP-10 attached - maybe you have an install issue.

The normal sequence is:

a) DP-10, defaults to ON, useful within 500km of KSC (or a relay satellite) and within line-of-sight

B) Once the rocket gets to 60+ kilometers of altitude above Kerbin, deploy a longer range antenna (Comm-16 or Comm-32 are popular choices).

I typically wire the Comm-16 or Comm-32 up to the "Abort" action button in the VAB. I also wire up any solar panels that need deployment to the "Abort" action. Once my ship hits the 60+ kilometer altitude marker, I hit the abort key and all my solar panels and omnidirectional antennas unfold.

c) Point directional antennas and activate them after I've reached a stable orbit.

Note: Antennas like the KR-7, KR-14 can be activated and pointed at "mission control" or a satellite in KEO before you launch. They don't break in atmosphere.

Keeping communication links back to KSC, even after you go "over the horizon", requires relay satellites. Something that your vessel can bounce a signal off of in order to get back to KSC. That's why we talk about satellite flocks, multiple satellites at X altitude, or having a constellation of KEO sats.

The first few launches can be tricky. I suggest a rocket with 6000+ dV that burns straight up to KEO (2869km) and hangs there. It will need (2) DTS-M1 and a DP-10. One DTS-M1 points back to KSC (mission control) and the other points at "active vessel".

The other alternative is to build a bunch of el-cheapo sats with Comm-16, 200 battery, and six OX-STAT panels. Toss those up in various orbits from 100km up to 800km around Kerbin until you have good coverage (i.e. 4 @ 776km, or 6 @ 450km or 8 @ 267km).

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413652631

Any ideas on why this wont get a connection? The connection delay says .00016s and is in the green. The Mono Tug in the middle there was the first tug I sent and I flew it straight up to the shipyard and connected with the stock Claw. The moment I connected I lost control of it and it said no connection. So then I flew over my other tug on and docked it to the ILM on the left there with the solar arrays and again the second I docked I lost control and it says No Connection again. Gonna fly over a manned ship now to see what the deal is. Both tugs are using the RC-L01 and also have the Communotron 32 onboard. the Shipyard also has a Communotron 88-88.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413654523

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=413655362

To add to the problem everything else stops working as well. Can't go back to the space center, can't switch ships can't do anything except close ksp and restart the game.

Edited by talon_65