[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

That only means the part has not been properly adapted for RO. It may be overweight or underpriced or in the wrong tech node or any combination thereof.

I've recently had some trouble with losing control of some craft although they had a working link, even when manned. When you can't control your probe, is that pocket calculator pictogram below the mission timer green or red?

It is Red

Well I think I have some issue I am unable to get a connection with my dish. Here are some photos that show the issue. http://imgur.com/a/IKgv0 I am using root range mode

From the screenshot, it looks like you don't have a connection with KSC to send the commands on. If so, you won't be able to retarget your antennae - or do anything else on the unmanned craft.

From the screenshot, it looks like you don't have a connection with KSC to send the commands on. If so, you won't be able to retarget your antennae - or do anything else on the unmanned craft.

I know that :). I want to know why I have no connection when the dish can reach Kerbin and has sats in LOS. Also I use RTXF so I can control the antenna without connection.

In my case I think I got nearer to the problem:

It is definigtzely RealismOverhaul that is the culprit.

When I don´t have RO installed (via CKAN) I only see a single red dot on the map. And this red dot is located at KSC.

When I install RO however, there is not a single red dot, but dozens ... and none of them sits at KSC.

And the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg in the RemoteTech-Folder definitely isn´t touched by RO (and, as I did a new virgin install, only has s single ground station in the file).

At the moment I am looking if I can find a .cgfg file in the RO-Folder, which defines its own ground stations (there is a RO_RemoteTech.cfg ... but that only contains configs for a few parts, no ground stations)

I know that :). I want to know why I have no connection when the dish can reach Kerbin and has sats in LOS. Also I use RTXF so I can control the antenna without connection.

And what are the sats at Kerbin pointing the other way?

In my case I think I got nearer to the problem:

It is definigtzely RealismOverhaul that is the culprit.

When I don´t have RO installed (via CKAN) I only see a single red dot on the map. And this red dot is located at KSC.

When I install RO however, there is not a single red dot, but dozens ... and none of them sits at KSC.

And the RemoteTech_Settings.cfg in the RemoteTech-Folder definitely isn´t touched by RO (and, as I did a new virgin install, only has s single ground station in the file).

At the moment I am looking if I can find a .cgfg file in the RO-Folder, which defines its own ground stations (there is a RO_RemoteTech.cfg ... but that only contains configs for a few parts, no ground stations)

Problem has been solved, I somehow missed a Remotetech_settings.cfg-File in the root folder of RealismOverhaul

I think I've got a wire crossed somewhere.

With RT installed, the first always-on antenna that is unlocked... well, it isn't on. I have to activate it, through the deploy/retract button. This deploy/retract button also gets applied to every command module (so, yes, I can deploy and retract my EAS command seat for some reason!) and obviously does nothing for them, just a button. If a mod adds a module that has activating lights, that button is now also deploy/retract.

Near as I can tell, it's something weird in the ModuleAnimateGeneric getting renamed all over the place.

I'm pretty sure RT is conflicting with something, but before I go trawling through my entire catalogue of mods, has anybody heard of this before and can offer me a likely culprit?

ModuleManager creates a cache file that I find VERY useful in times like this. Open it, look for one of the problem parts, and see if anything jumps out. You could also post the section for a bad part here and it might give us ideas. But since these are long, be sure to use a spoiler section. :)

Hi, I d like to know if it s planned to make controls outpost? if it's planned or not, because it would be very interesting to get a control station out of Kerbin system working with Kerbals to have a more direct control on probes in other systems, of course it would be a very late game stage.

Thanks for the good work you prduce by the way and keep doing :D

Hi, I d like to know if it s planned to make controls outpost? if it's planned or not, because it would be very interesting to get a control station out of Kerbin system working with Kerbals to have a more direct control on probes in other systems, of course it would be a very late game stage.

Thanks for the good work you prduce by the way and keep doing :D

It's already achievable by sending a ship with a RC-L01 Remote Guidance Unit and 6 kerbals. It will be able to control ships connected to it, and signal delay will be computed from there instead of to KSC. However science still needs to be sent back to KSC for transmission.

...of course it would be a very late game stage.

Since a command station requires the RC-L01 (as FancyMouse commented) which requires the Large Probes tech node (in the 1000 science tier), it is definitely late game.

Hello there you fine bunch of unmanned flight addicts. I have recently found this lovely little parts pack http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/127413-WIP-1-0-4-Kerbal-Planetary-Base-Systems-v0-1-5-Update-27-7-2015

Could someone whip me up a cfg for the probe cores that are in it? Or show me how to make one myself? Thanking you!

Edited by SmashBrown
Terrible seplling.

Was interested to know if you guys planned on implementing the need for engineers and or scientists to be included for the use of the 6 man command station rule? I know I can just adjust the amount of kerbals needed in the cfg, but would love to see the requirements for engineers specifically. Thx keep up the good work.

Actually if you mention that, to me pilots make more sense than engineers/scientists.

Agreed. In fact, engineers are already required to fix things and to install KIS/KAS stuff. Scientists are already necessary to work labs or to just reset experiments. But pilots can be completely skipped in the late game. It's good to have a few specific reasons to bring pilots along.

Hey, I started using your mod and I really like what it adds, but one mod that I use has an issue causing all probe cores it adds to have local control. The mod is RLA stockalike.

(http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/90218-1-0-4-RLA-Stockalike-13-18-Aug/page45)

I didn't know if it was your mod or his that has to enable it so I posted on both posts.

I wasn't sure where else to put this, but I figured it might help some folks trying to set up a solid communications network. I've put together a flight plan to launch 4 satellites into (almost) perfect keo-stationary orbit with 90 degrees of separation between each, all on one mission. I think it's a little simpler than trying to launch 4 different missions and time them perfectly, as the tutorial shows. I used MechJeb to make sure I hit all the nodes correctly, so it might be a little more difficult to fly by hand.

Each satellite is fitted with a Comm 32 Antenna, 2 Comm-1 short range wide angle dish, and 1 ultra-range dish, otherwise just get the delta-v however you can :cool:

Quick Flight Plan

Orbits represented (apoapsis, periapsis, inclination) with altitude in km.

1. Launch from KSC at any location to (70,70,0), ∆v = ~4500
  2. Burn at periapsis to (1,657.740, 70, 0), ∆v = 555.3
  3. Burn at apoapsis to (1,657.740, 1,657.740, 0), ∆v = 404.6
  4. Burn at 119º34’31â€ÂW (119.57528ºW) to (2,868.75073, 1,657.740, 0), ∆v = 125.9
  5. Release 1 satellite at each apoapsis, burn each satellite to (2,868.75073, 2,868.75073, 0), ∆v = 113.0
  6. Burn at apoapsis to return to atmosphere, ∆v = 340.3
  7. Total main craft ∆v = 5926.1
  8. Total satellite ∆v = 113.0 (each)
  9. Additionally, to self-deorbit the satellites requires an additional ∆v = 566.3 (each)

KEO

By placing a satellite in Keo-stationary Orbit (KEO), its position over the ground will not change. A satellite in KEO directly over the KSC will always be connected via the Comm 32 Antenna (omni-range 5 mm). A network of 4 KEO satellites 90 degrees apart will provide constant communications within the Kerbin system. Each satellite powers a 5mm antenna, 2 45 degree dishes (one each to Mun and Minimus), and an ultra-range dish for deep space missions.

Concept of Flight

In general, the mission will launch from KSC to a low orbit of 70km and 0 inclination (will remain 0 inclination throughout). It will then push the apoapsis to an altitude x and circularize. At a specific location y, it will push the apoapsis to KEO, such that the orbital period or (x, KEO) is 3/4th that of circular KEO and the first apoapsis is directly above the KSC.

Each time the craft reaches the apoapsis, it releases a satellite. The Satellite burns to circularization at a KEO orbit. After 4 orbits, 4 communications satellites will occupy the same KEO orbit, spaced 90º apart, providing antenna communication up to ~7,000 km, constant dish communication to Mun and Minimus systems, and 4 ultra long range dishes capable of reaching anywhere in the Kerbol system.

Calculating x (transfer altitude)

I used Wolfram Matematica to work through the math, but I don't have the screenshot anymore.

Regardless, using science! you should find that a periapsis of 1,657,740m and an apoapsis of 2,868,750m will have a period 75% of KEO (also known as 1 day or 6 hours).

Calculation y (location of burn)

Once in the transfer orbit (2,868.75073, 1,657.740, 0), periapsis (burn point) to apoapsis (release point) will take 0.5 periods, or 2.25 hours.

The first release needs to be directly above the KSC, so the burn point must lead the KSC just right.

2.25 hours is 37.5% of a Kerbin Day, or 135º of Kerbin rotation. In the same time, the craft will cover 180º (or half) of its orbit.

Therefore, the burn point must be behind the KSC by 45º of longitude.

KSC location is 74º34’31â€ÂW

Burn location is 119º34’31â€ÂW (119.57528ºW)

Is there a way to just make it so the flight computer is the only thing active? I love this mod but sadly my computer just cant handle more than 7 or 8 satellites without lagging making it impossible to send any probes to other planets out of Kerbin's SOI.

I wasn't sure where else to put this, but I figured it might help some folks trying to set up a solid communications network. I've put together a flight plan to launch 4 satellites into (almost) perfect keo-stationary orbit with 90 degrees of separation between each, all on one mission. I think it's a little simpler than trying to launch 4 different missions and time them perfectly, as the tutorial shows. I used MechJeb to make sure I hit all the nodes correctly, so it might be a little more difficult to fly by hand.

Nah, that's some good infos, though it might be good to point out that you probably won't build your first KEO constellation using Communitron32's, at least if you're in career mode.

I'd also sugggest that constellation should instead be set up to have two satellites with direct links to KSC, for redundancy. Heck, I can get by OK with just two KEO sats linked to KSC, with one positioned toward KSC's sunrise, and one positioned toward KSC's sunset. Of course, these are using DTS-M1's to link back, because I haven't unlocked the Communitron32 yet.

(Currently, my sats have 3 DTS-M1's: one for KSC, one for the Mun, and one for reaching out directly to a ship (or Minmus, when I have a mission there).

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to just make it so the flight computer is the only thing active? I love this mod but sadly my computer just cant handle more than 7 or 8 satellites without lagging making it impossible to send any probes to other planets out of Kerbin's SOI.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but you can get by with just 3 or maybe 4 satellites connected, as long as they have sufficient antenna range to reach your probe. Heck, I'm primarily using 2 for my link to KSC right now, as discussed above.

Are you sure it's just RemoteTech causing that lag? Have you tried testing your performance with just RT, MM, and KSP?

I can play stock KSP and have around 10 to 15 ships/Probes before my game starts to lag, but the moment I install RemoteTech2 it slows to a crawl. Its the only mod I have installed other than Portrait_Stats-4.0. And by the flight computer I mean the screen you get when you click on the calculator just under the time warp options. I literally cant send anything out to other planets other than what's in Kerbin's SOI. I can easily go to the Mun and Minmus with a set of 3 satellites around Kerbin, but anymore more than that and my PC starts to lag. I love this mod and hope the creator keeps updating it to make it better an better, it makes you have to think and set up a working string of comsats but I cant really use it that much. I can only use it if I want to stay close to home.

I can play stock KSP and have around 10 to 15 ships/Probes before my game starts to lag, but the moment I install RemoteTech2 it slows to a crawl. Its the only mod I have installed other than Portrait_Stats-4.0. And by the flight computer I mean the screen you get when you click on the calculator just under the time warp options. I literally cant send anything out to other planets other than what's in Kerbin's SOI. I can easily go to the Mun and Minmus with a set of 3 satellites around Kerbin, but anymore more than that and my PC starts to lag. I love this mod and hope the creator keeps updating it to make it better an better, it makes you have to think and set up a working string of comsats but I cant really use it that much. I can only use it if I want to stay close to home.

Just to check, are you speaking about framerate dropping, or are you talking some sort of input lag? If the latter, that might actually be good. By default, RT simulates the lag from the speed of light to the remote probe, and this really becomes noticeable when you leave Kerbin's SOI.

If you are seeing the framerate drop, I'd suggest keeping your communication network as simple as possible. It shouldn't make a difference where the ships are, just how many are talking to each other simultaneously. I'm not sure that you should be seeing so much additional lag from RemoteTech, but on the other hand, if 10-15 ships are enough to drag down your stock KSP, then you really are right on the edge for ability to run KSP at all.