[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want to re-jigger the .cfg files a little to allow surface attach, you can actually attach them to the surface of the planet (by holding down 'H'). They shouldn't explode then.

Edited by AlbertKermin

13 hours ago, AlbertKermin said:

If you want to re-jigger the .cfg files a little to allow surface attach, you can actually attach them to the surface of the planet (by holding down 'H'). They shouldn't explode then.

I believe using Attach requires an Engineer; if not, I'll do the rejiggering you suggest.  My one-man lander holds a single guy, often a Scientist, so he can collect and reset the Materials Bay and Mystery Goo.

Regardless, I've got a work-around that prevents the explosions while collecting data,

As far as I can tell, this is an old problem as I used to experience it in 0.90. It doesn't matter if you attach them to the ground, there is a good chance they will explode anyway. That said, this was also when KIS was brand new, so maybe that was a factor back then.

Here's a sneak peek at the new system we're working on, using KAS/KIS. Players will have to assemble a full experiment package using an engineer kerbal. First, you place the central station, part that makes everything run. There is a pad on the central station for mounting the power supply of your choice, either an RTG or solar panels. There is a pole and solar cells provided for players that haven't yet unlocked an RTG. Then, experiments are placed and connected back to the central station via power cables. There will be two types of multi connectors that you can use to split the cables or redirect them (see screenshot). The experiments are then activated via a Scientist kerbal, and their results transmitted back via the central station. Running an experiment takes power, and bigger setups will want to connect batteries to the system to make sure you have enough headroom. RemoteTech/AntennaRange/the upcoming stock relays will likely need to have their results forwarded home via a larger dish/antenna mounted on your lander.
3EJiL1o.png

So, to reiterate, what you'll need:

• Engineer kerbal
  • scientist kerbal
  • Power connectors (two for each connection you'll make, due to KAS limitations)
  • Central station
  • Power supply
  • Experiment(s)
  • (optional) Power stations - give you additional power ports and battery storage.

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Here's a sneak peek at the new system we're working on, using KAS/KIS. Players will have to assemble a full experiment package using an engineer kerbal. First, you place the central station, part that makes everything run. There is a pad on the central station for mounting the power supply of your choice, either an RTG or solar panels. There is a pole and solar cells provided for players that haven't yet unlocked an RTG. Then, experiments are placed and connected back to the central station via power cables. There will be two types of multi connectors that you can use to split the cables or redirect them (see screenshot). The experiments are then activated via a Scientist kerbal, and their results transmitted back via the central station. Running an experiment takes power, and bigger setups will want to connect batteries to the system to make sure you have enough headroom. RemoteTech/AntennaRange/the upcoming stock relays will likely need to have their results forwarded home via a larger dish/antenna mounted on your lander.
3EJiL1o.png

So, to reiterate, what you'll need:

• Engineer kerbal
  • scientist kerbal
  • Power connectors (two for each connection you'll make, due to KAS limitations)
  • Central station
  • Power supply
  • Experiment(s)
  • (optional) Power stations - give you additional power ports and battery storage.

Simply fantastic!

19 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Where is the download? I want this, looks awesome!

15 hours ago, AlbertKermin said:

Soon!tm  :)

Yup! We are working hard to try and get things wrapped up here for release, but every time we get close we realize that we are missing something. For example, the other day, it was noticed that the KIS wrench cannot attach items to nodes. This is a problem, as SEP *requires* node attachment for the power conduits to look right (they would theoretically work, just wouldn't actually line up with the plugs), and the KIS electric screwdriver unlocks far too late in the tech tree. So on the train home, I had to whip together this.

zkMRtcz.png

The SEP Port Attachment Tool allows you to attach parts to nodes, but not surface attach.
It's somewhat hard because we're trying to get the mod to a place where it is 'feature complete' enough to release. At the end of the day, it's going to come down to having enough experiments in the first release that the mod feels full. Right now, we have four. Is that enough? Personally, with all the new requirements for setting up a SEP, only having a couple experiments to set up seems like it isn't worth the return on investment. So we might take the time to add a couple more before release. In addition to a couple more miscellaneous things.

Don't rush it, I'd be fine waiting until January to allow for a better product and exam study time (for those who haven't already taken them). What about an ore scanner part, or a experimental ISRU part (as a proof of concept for ISRU technology in the early portion of career mode, doesn't actually make fuel just gives science for "testing the technology"). Plus a smaller KIS container (like the box, but can fit in a 1.25m service bay) for easier transportation of parts.

On 12/16/2015, 11:52:34, hieywiey said:

Don't rush it, I'd be fine waiting until January to allow for a better product and exam study time (for those who haven't already taken them). What about an ore scanner part, or a experimental ISRU part (as a proof of concept for ISRU technology in the early portion of career mode, doesn't actually make fuel just gives science for "testing the technology"). Plus a smaller KIS container (like the box, but can fit in a 1.25m service bay) for easier transportation of parts.

I believe we are focusing on representing most of the actual ALSEP components first, along with some original stuff that's atmospheric only. Obviously the original ALSEP, being intended for the moon, didn't have an atmospheric component, but we'd like to give people stuff to do on atmospheric bodies as well. Some ideas that have been tossed around are weather station components, for example. But for the most part, the canon ALSEP parts are a priority. Including the mortar :)
I was planning on making a rack to carry the pieces. The intent is to allow a decent sized setup ride just in the seat inventories of the lander can, but a larger setup would need additional storage. The current KIS containers are pretty big, so we'd include some lower profile ones, probably resembling the appearance of the real ALSEP racks.

As mentioned previously, there are several ways to provide power for your Surface Experiment Package. The easiest is an RTG - one part, and it's what the real guys did. But the RTG unlocks late in the tech tree. Early on, you'll want to use solar panels, or even large amounts of batteries. Intrepid players might connect their spacecraft to the system in order to provide power, but bear in mind the system is meant to provide data after you head home!
Here's an album of me setting up a full solar-powered SEP. Of note, and this didn't occur to me until the last second, but you need to bring both the KIS wrench and the SEP screwdriver to set up a SEP, and you'll need to switch between them constantly. But I suppose that's the incentive for the KIS electric screwdriver, nyeh?
I forgot to start taking screenshots until I had already set up my central station, girder, and the two solar panels.

I already loved this mod, but what you guys are doing now is nothing short of amazing! :D

You mentioned it is intended to provide data after heading home, does that mean once set up there will be ongoing science happening with this?

10 hours ago, JeffreyCor said:

I already loved this mod, but what you guys are doing now is nothing short of amazing! :D

You mentioned it is intended to provide data after heading home, does that mean once set up there will be ongoing science happening with this?

I posted that pretty late and got a bit ahead of myself. I don't believe we have anything planned that would provide science over time. With that said, most of the ALSEP stuff transmitted back after the astronauts left - heck, most of the experiments didn't even run until after the ascent stage had left, and some of the more, ah, explosive experiments weren't conducted until the CSM was well on its way home, for fear of the ejecta reaching up to the orbit.
Currently, we are planning on requiring all the experiments to be activated by Kerbals. That is a hard requirement, and mostly because, from a gameplay point of view, we don't want the experiments to work at all on, say, an autonomous craft. Like I said before, that is not how most of the real experiments worked. On the other hand, most of the experiments worked for a month tops before their electronics stopped working.

If you're interested in learning about the real Apollo Lunar Scientific Experiments Package, these two web pages have been an invaluable resource, though I can't 100% vouch for their accuracy. The first is an online 'essay' on the ALSEP project, and provides a lot of great info on things like the objectives of the missions, as well as scientific equipment that was brought but not considered part of the ALSEP. The second is essentially a subsite dedicated to the ALSEP project, and has a lot of great technical info on things like the tools. Both the sites are pretty old, but there's a certain charm to them. I've downloaded and backed the entire sites up on the off chance they ever go down.

Edited by CobaltWolf