[0.21][Parts Pack]Deep Space Mission Pack - Now open source!

kockaspiton

Loving this pack, the only problem I'm getting is that solar panels sometimes don't generate charge. It may be my configuration of them. I've arrayed them with 6-pattern symmetry, while some are standard parallel with the direction of the rocket's travel, others are perpendicular with this (to catch the sun if the sun is to the side of the module. This seems to prevent all panels from functioning.

"real" 3m parts are barely bigger than the stock "big" parts so we're really not likely to see that happen; the old 3m parts are gonna stay at 3.75m.

Names can be updated as we go, but slowly during this transition period.

Why not match these parts to either the 2.5m parts or the 3.75meter parts. Having had to deal with 1.75m parts, I can tell you that "inbetween" sizes are a royal pain in the.. well you know.

yeeeey. I can hardly wait to re/download/setup everything again :)

This will be a drat, not necessary but very likely, most or all will have to be crafts re-designed.

But, anyway, good call, finally to setup some standards in here.

Yet just to teach little script kiddies to make their textures more optimized, they're really a wild bunch ya'know?!

1024...2048 /64bit png ~ 12M for a decoupler ... Yee,haaaaow?! :)

ImageMagick is my friend., but doh, .mbm is not cool at all.

Cheers

Yet just to teach little script kiddies to make their textures more optimized, they're really a wild bunch ya'know?!

1024...2048 /64bit png ~ 12M for a decoupler ... Yee,haaaaow?! :)

ImageMagick is my friend., but doh, .mbm is not cool at all.

Cheers

Yeah? I don't know how script kiddies come to this discussion, maybe you are not completely aware of the meaning of this term, but rest assured that there is a very good reason for the .mbm format. Namely that the OFFICAL KSP exporter for unity uses this format. I'm aware that the 1024x1024 texture size I use for this mod produce rather large files, and when the mod gets to a somewhat final stage I'll release a low-resoultion version. Also I don't know where do you get your numbers from, but the decoupler's texture is 765 kb in png format.

Sorry man no, you got me wrong there, I was a "bit" inaccurate with terms, no prob with dsm and its decouplers, that was just my way of saying...: whoa, 12MB texture just for "some decoupler".

And Your's dsm isn't in .png, anyway right?, I was well, maybe not so clearly, pointing to .png's, as they are only ones editable.

Mbm is a bi***, but you're stuck with it as for now, and there is nothing you can do.

But there are other dl parts lying around the site, in dae/.png, some are waaay to big for some reason, mainly that I mentioned, too much res, ...for nothing other then waste, true?, True color work of sc.kid. :)

Even directx cant display 64bit (3x16=48+alpha) color textures, they are dithered to 32bit in the end, cant say quality is lower, that it isn't, but it is a waste. Shaders and aniso do miracles :) even with lower res tex.

Otoh, they are not that crisp and yeah, details.

For now, I've managed to squeeze 581 part in 561MB, resulting in <1.35GB total ram usage.

Still decent 512x512x32 png textures quality.

I have a hunch, but not sure if it works that way,...

Like the sound files, there is no need for part/sound subdir and the same sound file in "some/all" parts over and over.

It is just as cool to put that sound file in main sound dir and use the "sound".wav line in part.cfg.

I've seen some parts doing this ... hmm, the copy way.

So, I was thinking, some parts are using the same texture file with different name, maybe that way we could re-use the same texture/.png file, like the sound file/dir.

I'll try to, create "Textures" dir in game root, move some identified multi-used texture file into it, edit all part.cfg's who use it to point to that same texture, and ... well if it works, hey great, few MB offload.

But for now, is just a hunch, and only usable with .png.

Sry for stealing your thread and giving you "hard time", We cool? :)

Cheers, kockaspiton, please enjoy

No offense, but your post is nonsense except for the sound files and the 1024^2 textures.

Mu had a reason to introduce mbm as a texture format, and I'm sure it won't work to keep the textures in a separate folder, try that out before you post:sticktongue:.

This is a mod still in development for a game still in development so you cannot expect it to be optimized to the death.

Firstly, my apologies if this has already been addressed.

Secondly. Awesome mod. I've always loved this style of space craft, so building my own is great. To the actual problem I have, though, is whenever I build a craft, adding solar panels always causes significant wobble, and adding enough for my design to work always causes structural failures and the ship tears itself apart on the launchpad. I figured it was my own fault for building dodgy designs; however, I replicated the ship you have in your screenshots to make sure, but the same problem happened. I've even tried editing the config files for each of the parts listed in the mission log but to no avail.

I'm relatively new to KSP - I've only been playing around with it for little over a week - so I'm fairly certain that I'm just missing something. I've tried adding various types of supports all over the place, but that's not helped in the slightest... I'd appreciate any advice anyone can throw my way.

Compatible with vanilla parts would be awesome. Perhaps if it's not too much work - You could make a version for each of them. That would be the best,

you can always just do it yourself by editing the CFG file's under "asset parameters"

rescaleFactor = .8 = 2m

rescaleFactor = .4 = 1m

But I'd feel like I was cheating if the actual stats of the part weren't rescaled too. Like what stats would I use for the engines if I rescaled them?

I actually edited the files for this pretty heavily... I thought that the engine/battery combo weighted a bit too much given it's low thrust so I lowered the weight a bit to 2.5 (Ion engine) and 1 (battery). I might bring the engine up to 3, or maybe the battery up to 2. I also thought that the batteries held way too little energy. You really should be able to go for a while with such a large battery after you leave the sun. So I upped storage to 1200 and more importantly lowered fuel consumption to 4. So you can now go for 5 minutes if you had full battery. To compensate I lowered the solar panel energy gain to 1, so you need 4 per engine at a minimum where as before you could get by with just over 2 (Ion engines use a lot of power).

I like these changes to be honest...

Now in response to changes, I would leave the 2meter one the say and just halve the .4 rescale. I made half sized parts and basically halved everything (except I made the engine 1.5m instead of 2.5m). Just my thoughts.

Love this pack and am really looking forward to the update.

But I'd feel like I was cheating if the actual stats of the part weren't rescaled too. Like what stats would I use for the engines if I rescaled them?

you could always leave the values for the engine the same. thrust should scale to burn rate, not size. bigger size means bigger engines becasue of heavier parts. for fuel tanks, you will have to reduce the amount of fuel for a smaller size.

you can always just do it yourself by editing the CFG file's under "asset parameters"

rescaleFactor = .8 = 2m

rescaleFactor = .4 = 1m

For the most parts it's that easy, but not for the command pod part, I had to remodel it so the top node now has the same size as vanilla parts, I'll release the new version very soon including:

• Rescaled everything to 2.5m - vanilla compatible
  • Remodelled command pod (with proper size front node)
  • Nosecone added
  • Asas module added
  • Nuclear reactor, quite heavy, but generates power without the need of sunlight

I'm also thinking about another set of parts, like DSM XXL, for large spaceships, but thats only at concept stage.

For the most parts it's that easy, but not for the command pod part, I had to remodel it so the top node now has the same size as vanilla parts, I'll release the new version very soon including:

• Rescaled everything to 2.5m - vanilla compatible
  • Remodelled command pod (with proper size front node)
  • Nosecone added
  • Asas module added
  • Nuclear reactor, quite heavy, but generates power without the need of sunlight

I'm also thinking about another set of parts, like DSM XXL, for large spaceships, but thats only at concept stage.

Sounds great, I love the deep space mission pack - With it being compatible with vanilla parts I can combine much more parts in my awesome interplanetary rockets.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.