1. 1. Which of these is true for you?

• I can tell my keyboard and mouse apart
    • I use my PC for web browsing only
    • I've installed games and other software
    • My friends come to be for tech support
    • I've built a PC
    • I've programmed things

What level do you think you're at?

Vote in the poll (if poll isn't there wait a minute, I'm writing it!)

NO! WHY DOES UPDATING THE CHOICES CHANGE THE MULTIPLE CHOICE SETTINGS????

Ok, would a moderator please edit this so multiple choice IS allowed within the next 12 hours or I'll make a new thread

Edited by Javster

I've got a decent amount of programming experience, but I have no idea how to build a PC. Even the simplest stuff, like replacing a hard drive or graphics card.

The precise opposite here. Put my own PC together a few days ago, but couldn't program anything in any language.

I hate hardware so I've never built a PC from scratch, but I've done enough hardware work (which is how I know I hate it) that if you gave me all the parts I could cobble one together.

But I've written full programs (some small games and in my job I'm writing little utility programs for myself all the time) so I picked the highest (lowest?) option.

All of the above, minus the only after web browsing. Though there is plenty I do not know, I feel comfortable around hardware and software and can perform most simple and complex operations. The only exception might be Macs. I work with those occasionally, but I don't get enough hours in to be even close to fluent with them.

Doubt I could build a whole PC though.

It is really not that much harder than what you have already done. Creating an optimal configuration might be a little more challenging, but there is a huge difference between a working and the best setup.

"I've programmed things" isn't exactly the pinnacle of computer knowledge, friend. :)

How about, "You could drop me on a desert island with a truckload of logic gates and I could design and build a working computer"?

Or even, "Have patched a live operating system from the front panel binary switches"?

Though one of my friends could say, "Turned a battalion of old M60 tanks into fully-automated shore cannons surrounding Taiwan". I know lotsa stuff, but that's way cooler than anything I ever actually did.

5 and 6.

a lot of programmers are uncomfortable working with hardware, and a lot of hardware people cant code. i span this gap. im also capable of building custom hardware and connecting it to my rig without fear of blowing something up. i also wrote my own bytecode language interpreter (though i still haven't finished the assembler so its kind of all hex right now).

Edited by Nuke

I do tech support for friends and family (though I'm actively discouraging others from this practice and wish I had never started). I've build maybe a dozen or so PCs for myself and others. I have programmed but not much beyond the "Hello World" level so I don't claim to be a programmer.

I've programmed a couple of programs with visual basic.

I've also taken apart my laptop once or twice, to perform repairs on a broken power jack.

I actually have to open it up this week to replace it's hard drive after it croaked this weekend.

I do tech support for friends and family (though I'm actively discouraging others from this practice and wish I had never started). I've build maybe a dozen or so PCs for myself and others. I have programmed but not much beyond the "Hello World" level so I don't claim to be a programmer.

Yeah unless you're willing to start a business, don't make yourself look like computer expert to your friends/neighbors.

Word gets around and soon all the computer illiterate people will be flocking to your door so you can help them with piddly things, like installing the drivers for their printers.

Edited by ZedNova

Yeah unless you're willing to start a business, don't make yourself look like computer expert to your friends/neighbors.

Words gets around and soon all the computer illiterate people will be flocking to your door so you can help them with piddly things like installing the drivers for their printers.

It's too late for me, but hopefully others will heed this advice. :) I've been able to keep from adding new "clients", and I'm now refusing to fix virus infestation more than once, i.e. if you must click on all the things there is no free help for you.

Reading the title I was thinking you were asking me what my Computer's aptitude level was. And I was gonna say "To put it simply, my computer really likes turtles."

However, I'm pretty knowledgable of using computers, and I will probably build one soon. I have very low level programming skills but I wouldn't even say it counts.

And yeah, all my teachers at school ask me how to do things on their computers. I don't mind but I get what you guys are saying about people going to your doorstep. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.