WIP - Environmental Visual Enhancements Development

rbray89

Welcome Back, Sir! Many of us were secretly hoping that you absence involved collaborating with SQUAD to help them make clouds in 1.0 (LOL). Wishful thinking! In any case, glad you got a little break. Don't let it overtake the things in life that are REALLY important.

Rbray is back... So my day is made. My week... No my month. Is made. Lol. Welcome back Rbray and good timing to boot with 1.0 around the corner.

I too often find hobbies can easily start to feel like jobs. Because you do get obsessed. And you soon get burnt out to the point where even the thought of your once loved hobby makes you sick.

The best thing for it is exactly what you did Rbray and that is to simply stop. And take a break only to hope one day that spark that made you fall in love with the hobby ignites again.

I can speak for the entire community when I say Im glad you found that spark again. Just make sure you take the time to actually PLAY the game. Do whatever it is you have to do to keep it fresh.

PS: Is it weird that I got as giddy as a school girl at a Bieber concert when I saw last post by rbray? Probably a little weird. Oh well. I don't care.

Hate to be just another +1, but I started this game during a steam sale last xmas. I never saw you around RB during my start, but your work was everywhere. I kept hear about EVE and whatnot. Finally looked it up and now i couldn't see my game without it. Kerbin feels naked and cold with no clouds/etc. Thank for the work you have done and I hope as all the others have that this round goes easier for you and you don't get overwhelmed. Long live EVE!

So... I'm back.

I want to first apologize to anyone/everyone about disappearing like that. I don't handle pressure well, and after getting so much attention from my mods it started to overwhelm me. I had to take a break, and the only way I could stop thinking about it was to get away. This was supposed to be a relaxing hobby, but turned into something like an obsession. Hopefully I'll manage better this time around. Don't be too surprised if you don't see much of me aside from once or twice a week as I try to keep things balanced.

I uploaded a new version on Github today... It is a new atmospheric model, and it should have (nearly) all the params needed to tune the atmosphere to perfection. Some things I have not implemented or tuned fully myself (few more params to come, along with scattering and sunsets), and I plan to make a few more improvements to the clouds, ocean and terrain. The new version of Unity is fantastic in that I can actually use the depth buffer (unity 5 acts like pro for everyone. They just changed the licensing terms) so it allows me to test and debug the shaders MUCH faster than I had ever been able to in the past.

Thank you all for the support and your well-wishes. Now Lets make KSP beautiful.

P.S. You can reach me over in reddit as waka324.

P.P.S I've been aiding blacktrack whenever I can with their new scatter mod. It is absolutely gorgeous, and honestly, that is what I was hoping for with this atmosphere model.

:) Great to see you back man!

Does this mean I have yet more things to make my KSP look pretty?

Oh good :)

In all seriousness.

My Bray, it's nice to see you back and may I say that you need to make sure that you stick to the limits you place upon yourself, this is after all, just a game.

I would also like to say at this juncture that I am new to these forums, as in posting/having an account etc, but have been playing KSP since 0.12 or something, a far time anyways.

My comments carry no weight, this I understand, but may I state as my point of view, that you and your compatriots (see below) are the reason, the only reason, that I continue to play and that I encourage my kids to play.

KSP without the likes of:

RBray

NathanKell

PingoPete

Proot and many, many others; would simply be another failed 'indie' game that never got developed right.

You guys, to my mind have made this game a) playable B) enjoyable c) viable.

This is not pressure, this is praise.

I work hard, doing a 'job' that is horrible with little to no thanks and a stress level that would make Superman cry and this is all put aside when I sit and play YOUR KSP.

I sit and look at the visuals YOU GUYS created, flying rockets and planes created by numerous modders, having fun with my kids, playing a game that a company get praise and plaudits for, but is made what it is my you and the rest of the modding community.

From the very bottom of my heart, I thank you and all your modding compatriots for putting in the time & effort that the rest of us benefit from.

Much love and appreciation :)

Ork

It's wonderful to have you back Rbray! Please take your time and don't stress over these projects. I burned myself out working on the Better Atmospheres pack so I know how it can go. I'm glad you are well and look forward to what the future brings.

Hey rbray, so just did some preliminary testing of your latest upload, unfortunately I ran into some problems. I tried it on RSS but got some unusual graphical glitches with no atmosphere appearing on earth in PQS & SS. I tried it on stock kerbin with no other mods, works in PQS but in SS got the same bizarre glitches. Still figuring out what the new density ratios represent, couldn't seem to figure which one increases ground haze. Btw I tried this on linux 64 bit and windows 64 and 32 seems to be persistent throughout though it could be something on my end.

P.s. hate to be the bringer of bad news but thought I'd let you know :P

Thanks again for the work time you're putting into this!

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by pingopete

Yeah, Scaled space is a WIP right now. Still trying to figure out why the scaling isn't occurring properly.

I'll have to post a little bit on what the values do once I get it working.

So I guess I'm not the only one having trouble with scaled space then...

Hello Rbray...

I have / had same (blue thingy of death) as pingopete... And same ... No Problem...

There will be more than enough 'stuff' to deal with, go through and such with the new release...

Again, nice to see you back and poking at code.....

Cheers.

Hello Rbray...

I have / had same (blue thingy of death) as pingopete... And same ... No Problem...

There will be more than enough 'stuff' to deal with, go through and such with the new release...

Again, nice to see you back and poking at code.....

Cheers.

You like dots don't you... :cool:

I've tried the last version. Atmo seems to work right this time and looks better, imho. But still fades out when you turn to the night side. You know, like a disappearing effect. Oh, and oceans remains transparent in the horizon.

For the rest all seems pretty well for me. :)

It seems as if the overhaul as of 16hrs ago, x86 release, has created ghost kerbin:

http://i.imgur.com/LmFuif2.png

On a side note, its nice to see the atmo coloring behind the mountains:

http://i.imgur.com/wrijf7X.png

Relavent log files from quick run>check tracking station>screenshots run through things: https://www./folder/xgvp2bien3rd2/EVE_Overhaul_Logs_Apr_27_2015

:D

Yeah, the parameters need to be mucked around with a bit. I'll probably end up altering/simplifying the equation though for performance depending on what 1.0 performance is like.

EDIT: The real issue I think however, is that the formula is modeled around ACTUAL pressure models, which may not necessarily translate to "Earth-like" results when scaled. I'd be curious to see what this looks like on RSS when the params are tuned (hint: set _Scale to 500/PlanetRadius)

Good news is that Scaled space is working as intended.

Edited by rbray89

Yeah, the parameters need to be mucked around with a bit. I'll probably end up altering/simplifying the equation though for performance depending on what 1.0 performance is like.

EDIT: The real issue I think however, is that the formula is modeled around ACTUAL pressure models, which may not necessarily translate to "Earth-like" results when scaled. I'd be curious to see what this looks like on RSS when the params are tuned (hint: set _Scale to 500/PlanetRadius)

Good news is that Scaled space is working as intended.

I'll test this on RSS now, though from the pictures above it looked as though the inverted ground haze thingy is still present? i.e. the haze at the center of earth rather than at the edges..

I'll test this on RSS now, though from the pictures above it looked as though the inverted ground haze thingy is still present? i.e. the haze at the center of earth rather than at the edges..

I think that can be mitigated by altering the _Visibility param.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.