[WIP] Mining and Processing Extension [KIMP] resumed

riocrokite

• 7 months later...
20 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

AWESOME... :D

I read thru quite a bit, but not all of the thread, so sorry if I missed it... Is there a link for any type of release yet?

nope, just started, however I guess there will be 3 or 4 parts max so I might finish it till September :P

as for single surface miner I was considering either front (better esthetics) or back version (more practical). The front one seems to be cooler since you can view it working from the cabin similar to what combine driver sees so I might go with better looking design:)

Then I'll 'just' need to do IVAs haha.

rqX19z6.png

HXXechT.png

Edited by riocrokite
new pic

On 16-08-2016 at 11:35 AM, riocrokite said:

nope, just started, however I guess there will be 3 or 4 parts max so I might finish it till September :P

as for single surface miner I was considering either front (better esthetics) or back version (more practical). The front one seems to be cooler since you can view it working from the cabin similar to what combine driver sees so I might go with better looking design:)

Then I'll 'just' need to do IVAs haha.

HXXechT.png

It's great for mining and cleaning up after those "less than successful" launches at the KSC. Great to see you working on this again.

Edited by BigFatStupidHead

about that cleaning debris from ksc and other places - maybe some kind of front loader or tool combined with recycler container (based on @taniwha's recycle bin plugin) ?;)

I guess farming simulator mod might be useful to determine which kind of tool is the best one for moving debris to the container:

csz-set.jpg

1 hour ago, riocrokite said:

about that cleaning debris from ksc and other places - maybe some kind of front loader or tool combined with recycler container (based on @taniwha's recycle bin plugin) ?;)

I guess farming simulator mod might be useful to determine which kind of tool is the best one for moving debris to the container:

csz-set.jpg

I think the Pinza Fasciati (top right) would be an excellent choice for removing old (round) parts. And a Forca Pallet Extra ( left middle, second collum) for cube alike-parts.

Also I'm really pumped to hear that you're working again.:D

yah interesting stuff, for now the plan is to have simplified mechanics so the shovel will have a collider that upon contact will despawn stuff directly into the container, so there won't be actual need to move debris into the container (however tempting it sounds) :P

Also I plan shovel to be attached to existing MFS Infernal Robotics parts.

i'm working currently on sidebars (second attempt) to be somewhat compatible and multifunction with the rest of the parts.

managed to make 2 objects that are empty after deployment compatible with small deployable container. In effect both large surface miner (pictured in one of previous posts) and large wheel will have interior space utilized by the container.

rCWy6cz.png

Edited by riocrokite

20 minutes ago, riocrokite said:

managed to make 2 objects that are empty after deployment compatible with small deployable container. In effect both large surface miner (pictured in one of previous posts) and large wheel will have interior space utilized by the container.

rCWy6cz.png

Wow, just wow. That looks great. You keep amazing me.:D

• 2 weeks later...

had to add a few details to miners, anyway at least I got it to working state in game. Simple animation for now, nothing fancy. Now I need to 'only' texture it and create suitable cfg files.

E3IgcWk.png

new parts from left to right: front miner along with a cabin inbetween, solar concentrator (+receiver?), underneath small regolith heater, side surface miner and big regolith heater at the back.

As in real life I plan to bottleneck it mainly with power, so you would need to have about 7 (for small heater) or 21 (for  large heater) dishes on the mun to have enough power to process and discard regolith (for fuel and optionally other stuff like he3). Therefore I plan to add foldable large semi-stationary dish (about 80m diameter) to provide enough stationary solar power to process regolith. Or eventually one can use EC to heat regolith with a big efficiency hit. This is where nuclear power might come in handy.

well after watching this picture I think I lack at least 1 or 2 more models for condenser/separator unit and gas centrifuge for optional isotopic separation of he3 from he4.

lpaE1Ah.png

Now I wonder how would radiator/condenser unit look like (vertical / horizontal pressure vessel with lots of pipes coming in and out?). Help would be appreciated :)

and just for reference MFS tank setup comparison draft:

02Jfmee.png

Edited by riocrokite

A link with a description of an earth based cryogenic separator and a few pictures - unfortunately no over all pictures. That link has a few other processes but the only picture I saw other than a partial of a distillation plant was for a Pressure swing absorption separator which looks like it would require a separate unit for each gas.

3 hours ago, wasml said:

A link with a description of an earth based cryogenic separator and a few pictures - unfortunately no over all pictures. That link has a few other processes but the only picture I saw other than a partial of a distillation plant was for a Pressure swing absorption separator which looks like it would require a separate unit for each gas.

cheers, I guess I'll go with horizontal cryogenic separation tower then :)

On 11-9-2016 at 1:50 AM, riocrokite said:

preliminary colors and finishing touches for front surface miner:

edit: finished detailing of side miner and solar dish.

DxDEh2r.png

That Receiver looks realy well but can it also rotate? If not, you you add both pivot and rotation animation.

That way it will be able to keep in contact with KSPI Beamed power network

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

That Receiver looks realy well but can it also rotate? If not, you you add both pivot and rotation animation.

That way it will be able to keep in contact with KSPI Beamed power network

I'll be happy to add that feature but need details how to do it os it works properly with KSPI. I thought it would be enough to add one or two rotation transforms with a proper name and then config takes care of the rest.

19 minutes ago, riocrokite said:

I'll be happy to add that feature but need details how to do it os it works properly with KSPI. I thought it would be enough to add one or two rotation transforms with a proper name and then config takes care of the rest.

Just add 2 animations which can be controlled by the stock animation part-module. Just being able to rotate will count as an omnidirectional receiver for Beamed power receive.

On 9/17/2016 at 7:32 PM, FreeThinker said:

Just add 2 animations which can be controlled by the stock animation part-module. Just being able to rotate will count as an omnidirectional receiver for Beamed power receive.

i'm a bit confused with 2 animations bit. Can you give me an example of a part and its config that does that?

48 minutes ago, riocrokite said:

i'm a bit confused with 2 animations bit. Can you give me an example of a part and its config that does that?

You can take a look at KSPI-E 1.8.11 or  1.10  which currently contains a laser turret and microwave rectenna which both contain a good example

Edited by FreeThinker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.