Nereid

[1.8.1] S.A.V.E - automatic backup system - 1.8.0-3165

On 11/9/2018 at 1:30 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

@Nereid

Thanks for the 1.5 version, but did you look at the PR I submitted?

No.  I just forgot about that.

I have merged your pull request, but I do not update the master anymore. Because of my workflow the master did cause more confusion than any good so I just keep track of the branches. And I do not merge back any changes into the master anymore. So merging your PR into 1.5.x is a little complicated now (I will have to examine all changes and merge them manually)...

I prefer to use just branches for releases, no master at all and I just ignore all "best practise advises" in this case (ist more or less just because FF but I do it for all mods). 

Oh ok.  So in the future, I'll have to use the correct branch.

Thanks

27 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Oh ok.  So in the future, I'll have to use the correct branch.

Thanks

I have merged your changes into 1.5.x. The position of the gui is working, but not the exclude list. Its pushed to the 1.5.x branch. Maybe you can check what is wrong? 

I will stop working on code for today and... well... for the rest of the year. ;)

Just now, Nereid said:

I have merged your changes into 1.5.x. The position of the gui is working, but not the exclude list. Its pushed to the 1.5.x branch. Maybe you can check what is wrong? 

I will stop working on code for today and... well... for the rest of the year. ;)

Sure, I'll look at it tomorrow night during my coding stream.  Feel free to watch, would be a kick having you watch.  I stream 7pm US eastern

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sure, I'll look at it tomorrow night during my coding stream.  Feel free to watch, would be a kick having you watch.  I stream 7pm US eastern

This is 01:00 CET. My girlfriend would kill me for sure... ;)

3 hours ago, Nereid said:

I've pushed some changes back to your 1.5.x branch.

I didn't see anything wrong with the exclude code, is it possible you didn't have the file there?

Also, I found a small problem with the floating window, had to set one var to false and add a DragWindow().

As of now, it's working for me, I'll be putting it into my games this evening as a test

7 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I've pushed some changes back to your 1.5.x branch.

I didn't see anything wrong with the exclude code, is it possible you didn't have the file there?

Also, I found a small problem with the floating window, had to set one var to false and add a DragWindow().

As of now, it's working for me, I'll be putting it into my games this evening as a test

Strange. I will take a look into it next year. The file in PluginData is there and it doesn't work for me. I've also tried your mod "KaptainsLog" and all of its contents were copied in the backup. Maybe I've done something wrong.

Anyway. I will release a new version next year with all changes included an a button to save config changes.

And an idea: What about a marker file ".nobackup" in a subfolder? That would be much easier to implement and any mod creator could adapt easily.

5 minutes ago, Nereid said:

Strange. I will take a look into it next year. The file in PluginData is there and it doesn't work for me. I've also tried your mod "KaptainsLog" and all of its contents were copied in the backup. Maybe I've done something wrong.

Anyway. I will release a new version next year with all changes included an a button to save config changes.

And an idea: What about a marker file ".nobackup" in a subfolder? That would be much easier to implement and any mod creator could adapt easily.

That would work.  If I get some time, I'll see what I can do about it.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:04 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

That would work.  If I get some time, I'll see what I can do about it.

Implemented in the last commits.

The changes of linuxgurugamer are released. Addidional changes:

• No backups of folders with .nobackup file
  • Fixed cloning of compressed backups
  • save config button

Edited by Nereid

Thanks for the update.  This mod has saved me countless hours of frustration when KSP or another mod breaks something.  That and when I pull a bone-headed move with one of my vessels :blush:.

Little useful mod! Thank you for sharing it @Nereid!

I have a quick question: when the 'Each save' option is checked, are automatic saves taken into consideration too, or only manual saves count for back-up creation?

19 hours ago, gap said:

Little useful mod! Thank you for sharing it @Nereid!

I have a quick question: when the 'Each save' option is checked, are automatic saves taken into consideration too, or only manual saves count for back-up creation?

Each save means that all saves (vessel recover, switch back to space center from flight, VAB, ... etcc) are taken into account. Keep in mind: KSP saves quite often.

"each save" is more or less just usefull for mod developers where a single save could destroy an important save they need to investiage a special situation.

That was the reason to write this mod, because in FF there was a time when things in the save game went horrribly wrong because I didn't really understand how saves and loads are handled inside of KSP.

Edited by Nereid

8 hours ago, Nereid said:

Each save means that all saves (vessel recover, switch back to space center from flight, VAB, ... etcc) are taken into account. Keep in mind: KSP saves quite often.

"each save" is more or less just usefull for mod developers where a single save could destroy an important save they need to investiage a special situation.

That was the reason to write this mod, because in FF there was a time when things in the save game went horrribly wrong because I didn't really understand how saves and loads are handled inside of KSP.

Thank you Nereid, you have been perfectly clear!
Is there any hope that  you might add an option for backing up only on manual saves, and another one for deleting old/redundant saves by manual selection (instead of having to rely on days, min and max configuration settings?)

4 minutes ago, gap said:

Is there any hope that  you might add an option for backing up only on manual saves, and another one for deleting old/redundant saves by manual selection (instead of having to rely on days, min and max configuration settings?)

Maybe. If its easy then I could add this on my vacation in two weeks

1 minute ago, Nereid said:

Maybe. If its easy then I could add this on my vacation in two weeks

Thank you very much, I would really appreciate that!

This incredibly useful Add'On is working fine on KSP 1.8.  The basic functionalities (backup everything, restore a savegame), at least, are flawless at the moment.

Still working on 1.9.X

What exactly is the difference between using the "delete" function or the "erase" function for backups? "Delete" seems to do what it says, delete the selected backup, but not sure exactly what erase is for?

56 minutes ago, GJNelson said:

What exactly is the difference between using the "delete" function or the "erase" function for backups? "Delete" seems to do what it says, delete the selected backup, but not sure exactly what erase is for?

Delete deletes the selected backup Erase annihilates everything, pretty simple

52 minutes ago, dtoxic said:

Delete deletes the selected backup Erase annihilates everything, pretty simple

Ok, thanks for the info. I thought that might be the case with "erase", but wanted to know for sure before "stepping off the edge". LoL