I am saddened by this but, I'm getting bored.

LostElement

I have 370 hours into KSP, and I've become bored of it. I no longer thrill at successfully making a rocket go to orbit, landing on the mun, going to Eeloo, building space stations, etc.

No matter what I do, no matter how many cool mods, I never play KSP for more than 20 minutes. I haven't even played in 2 monthes.

So my question is to you; are you getting bored of KSP? Even slightly? If not good for you! If so, say so here. I wish I can get un-bored of KSP.

Yes, several times I've had the same feeling. I suggest either trying some new design entirely, participating in a challenge or two, or just simply put KSP on the shelf for a few weeks. Go play something else for a while. Eventually you'll feel like playing KSP again.

I have 370 hours into KSP, and I've become bored of it. I no longer thrill at successfully making a rocket go to orbit, landing on the mun, going to Eeloo, building space stations, etc.

No matter what I do, no matter how many cool mods, I never play KSP for more than 20 minutes. I haven't even played in 2 monthes.

So my question is to you; are you getting bored of KSP? Even slightly? If not good for you! If so, say so here. I wish I can get un-bored of KSP.

I had this problem a while ago, then someone came up with a challenge that was interesting and well thought out. So I started refocusing my designs from cargo hauling to military aspects. Now I am bouncing between the two design theories and I am looking at once again going back out into the stars and getting back to Duna, Ike, Moho, and Eve. I may even go to Jool and do the Jool 5 challenge even though it is no longer accepting submissions, I don't care I am going to do it.

I'm a couple thousand hours in. At this point I hop on for patches, but I'm being very careful not to get burned out prior to 1.0.

Part of my strategy is playing exclusively sandbox mode. Played career for the first couple patches it was available, but now I'm treating it like an entirely new game launch so I have something significant to anticipate, and not just waiting for patch notes that tickle my fancy.

So far it's working.

It happens to most of us, I had a period of maybe six month where i didn't start up KSP even once. Kept myself updated on the forums though, impossible to get bored with this community. Then one day I got a brilliant idea for a probe or whatever and I was back in business :P

Yeah, I have the same issue, been playing KSP since .16. And after playing it so much I just had no motivation to get into orbit. So I only play ksp to test out the new updates and thats it. Sometimes moderation is good and longevity can then increase.

So take a break, do other stuff, and maybe come back to play short sessions, but if you have no motivation to play it don't, wait till the drive comes back to come back and play.

With any other game this happens of being burned out, skyrim and other large games to it too, diversifying games is a good idea too.

One day you might go hey its been awhile time to take KSP out for a spin and become engrossed with it, or maybe not, so just take time off, and good luck with whatever you do!

It's taken more than a year and probably nearly a couple of thousand hours but yes, I'm starting to burn-out too. There's still a lot I would like to do with KSP but memory problems are just proving too frustrating. Reduced to just MJ and KAC they aren't as bad but I really want PF and SCANSat back!

I'm playing Career Mode on extreme hardcore custom difficulty. It's not for everyone, but the challenges I face trying to make progress force me to constantly innovate.

Playing Career Mode on Hard is grindy. Playing on drastically harder difficulty makes the game seem almost impossible...until you learn to play better.

iA521mx.jpg

Most of my innovations have focused on reducing launch costs, recovering as much hardware as possible, and maximising the number of missions that can be performed from a single launch. Most of my contracts barely cover the cost of the launch of the spacecraft needed to complete them, but in most cases, I've been able to perform multiple missions.

I've shamelessly re-tasked most of my satellites to perform temperature scan contracts from low polar orbit of Kerbin's moons. Most of the others have been recovered by parachute.

My Kerbals perform multiple visual survey contracts in a single launch. Reaching all of the surface locations requires the use of fuel efficient "surface mobility". :confused:

T5kEpvD.jpg

4AussXY.jpg

My latest innovation is re-useable space stations and bases. These are used to perform outpost contracts and are then recovered intact to the KSC. Once I've got a few more parts unlocked, I'm going to design a winged "space station" that can land on the KSC runway. :cool:

I barely play anymore except for my YouTube series, and I personally think that's a good thing. I still really enjoy the game but there's not much left to do after over 1.5 years (I think I'll be 2 in... May? June?).

It's a bit sad, yes, but Human Beings are wired to find something new. NO game could interest someone to the exclusion of all else forever.

Yeah, reaching that point too. So far the only saving graces are:

1) Finally upgraded from 0.23 to 0.90 a few weeks ago, so I started a brand-new career. But since I'd already basically mastered the game before, playing 0.90 felt like a breeze.

2) Trying to emulate Scott Manley videos. I love his challenges and the elegance of his designs (and others! Looking at other peoples' crafts in the forums always makes me shake my head in wonder). I recently completed the "Spacewalk home from Gilly". Next up is the "Single Orange Tank efficiency challenge". Then, building a Minmus base.

3) Haven't installed Kethane/Karbonite or FAR/NEAR or RSS or RemoteTech or Kerbal Life support, so there's still mods to be played. But I admit, I'm not terribly excited because they don't really shake up the gameplay (at least not as much as Fine Print did before it got integrated, for example).

4) Using KSP as an example to teach myself to code so I can contribute in some way!

3) Haven't installed Kethane/Karbonite or FAR/NEAR or RSS or RemoteTech or Kerbal Life support, so there's still mods to be played. But I admit, I'm not terribly excited because they don't really shake up the gameplay...

Don't speak to quickly. Life support and RemoteTech added a whole other level for me. Made the game much for interesting. I just started dabbling in RSS a few days ago.

Closing on 550 hours, I'm bored. Game feels like a chore now with zero progress since 0.90 and trying to figure out a working combo of mods while still keeping full-res textures... I've done the altitude record missions like 50 times now... as you can see, I've become quite creative in my approach... but sadly it feels like I've done everything there is to do in the game. Landing on any body is mostly exactly the same, so I haven't even set out to the better half of them... because it just seems like more time for pretty much the same thing... I'd be more inclined to play if I could take epic screenshots or videos or something... but KSP seems to be the only Unity game that gives me <30 FPS... go figure. All these mods look so cool and so interesting, but really only being able to install a small handful at a time is a real bummer.

Hey I understand OP. I honestly have played maybe 3 hours in the past 8-9 months. I really don't know why I'm here so frequently. Every update cycle I intend on playing, the I figure I should wait until the next update, then I wait till the next, and the next...

I think 1.0 should fix that.

Hey I understand OP. I honestly have played maybe 3 hours in the past 8-9 months. I really don't know why I'm here so frequently. Every update cycle I intend on playing, the I figure I should wait until the next update, then I wait till the next, and the next...

I think 1.0 should fix that.

Haha, that's exactly what's been happening on my end. I do expect to really get back into things in 1.0 though. Curious to see how the new stock aero plays.

I started making stuff for the game instead. Too many annoying instabilities and lack of things to do on planets ( see instability due to mod levels ), or too much work building custom installs at the moment, I think the game needs another year to mature until it's slick.

Just to offer an alternate perspective... I first discovered KSP last... March, I think?... during version 0.23.5; in the almost-a-year since then, it has been (with occasional exceptions) almost the only computer game I play, but I still find it exciting and amusing, and I am still learning new things about physics and engineering. It's also an excellent source of inspiration for examples to use in the math and physics workshops I teach. I'm having so much fun with stock that I haven't even had time to try any mods except Procedural Fairings, kOS, In-Flight Waypoints, and (prior to 0.90) Fine Print. The only problem I have is not boredom but frustration when the game crashes almost every time I try to design a new vehicle.

- - - Updated - - -

(That being said: more planets please? :) )

I got bored ages ago. At the end of the day, you're just doing the same thing over and over, just the end goal changes. Well, I could build and launch a couple of ships to dock together in LKO and shoot them off to Jool, but I'm only going to visit a grey low gravity body that A, I've been to before and B, is basically no different than the Mun. Yes, there's extra steps getting there and you need more fuel, but it's just more of the same. Career mode especially, with it's 'Select Grinding Level - low, medium or high'. I think of other games and yeah, you shoot some dudes in a FPS, capture a base or whatever, but the scenery changes a lot, there's different tactics you can use, choices to make. The difficulty increases instead of decreasing. You start off with limited tech but as you upgrade and play on, the challenges ramp up appropriately. Not so in KSP - just put more fuel on and an engine capable of lifting the extra weight.

I love KSP, I love the sights it can bring, I love the satisfaction you get, but after a while it just gets boring. The only time I booted it up recently was to do a reddit challenge and then to test out a bug I was reminded of (another problem I have with KSP right now). Otherwise, I haven't seriously played it in over a month. Not because I don't have the time, but because whenever I have a few hours to kill, I think to myself 'well, I could send a rocket that looks 90% similar to a previous one to the same place as the last one or to a similar place with a different background OR I could play GTA V'.

Mods can only do so much - I'd love to try out RSS one day, but I'm afraid it just means more of the same, both in size of rockets and time spent launching them. That, and memory limits. So I make do with what little memory x86 offers me, try to make it a decent game worth playing and the FPS goes to about 15 on average and then it crashes.

Good game, would recommend it for sure. But once you learn how to play it, there's no randomisation, no interesting quirks. Build, launch, repeat. Build bigger, launch, repeat.

I find it pretty funny that just as KSP is about to be released, the community starts clunking on about how boring the game is. :)

What about throwing some realistic ideas around about what could make the game more interesting.

For instance setting up bases that mine different resources on different planets, and creating trade networks between them. (Yeah I'm an OpenTTD geek)

Also, I don't know why if you've completed career mode why you don't just go sandbox if you hate the grind?

What KSP news for replay is "fog of war," and new things to explore...

Have an (optional) setting that randomizes the solar system (orbits, locations, and even worlds (have 2-3X as many planets available, but still pick X number for any given solar system). They would change diameter, atmosphere altitude, mass (related to diameter), etc. You'd not get to see them past map view set to some very high altitude (zoomed in they are small on the screen) until you put craft there. Heck, the size of the system could change (like RSS cfgs (2x, 3.2X, 5x, etc).

This would make new games unique, and what worked last game ship wise might not work well at all this game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.