KSP 1.0 General Thread + All the new features

Daze

I thought the ESA logos were in already? Some of them anyway.

This is what I was talking about earlier but couldn't quite articulate it into a short summary. I wonder if they'll allow that to be used in the VAB as well though?

The VAB and SPH are basically the same editor, just with slightly different initial setup conditions. It would probably be more work to disable it in the VAB. And it sure would be useful in the VAB, too.

Updated with some links!

I wish to say thanks to everybody that is contributing in this thread and a special HUGE Thanks! to ObsessedWithKSP for making the Squadcast Summary that actually helped me for about 99% :P

EDIT: If someone can find me the tweet of Max for the missing link it would be nice :)

... And not a single beta release to test any of it 'in the field'. Good luck Squad!

1.0 is not the release version, its the end of early access.

Yes 0.95 would be an better name, then 0.951 as the patch perhaps 0.952 as gold candidate, then 1.0 as release and 1.01 as the version who is actually released :)

1.0 is not the release version, its the end of early access.

Yes 0.95 would be an better name, then 0.951 as the patch perhaps 0.952 as gold candidate, then 1.0 as release and 1.01 as the version who is actually released :)

they said there leaving beta with 1.0 that means 1.0 is going to be the "full game" that is what reviewers would look at I'd assume and with no real "beta" testing done it could go really badly for squad.

Just because we are not getting public access to the beta release (what you might call 0.91) does not mean that there is not beta testing. Early access means we get to play around with alpha and beta builds, not that we are alpha or beta testers of the game. Squad have a bunch of people (a few odd comments in Scott Manley videos suggests he is such an individual) who do actual pre-release testing of the software, and they most definitely are beta testing the new features (and are not allowed to talk about it).

Open access and the kind of rolling release that common in a lot of software these days means the paradigm of alpha and beta versions doesn't really carry the meaning it used to. Each release, including all the versions we have had to date, will have gone through an internal closed alpha and beta test phase before we got our hands on them. Just because we don't get our hands on these builds doesn't mean they don't exist, and doesn't mean there isn't proper testing of them. In terms of stability and bug fixes, 0.90 is definitely beta in quality, but in terms of gameplay and content, I have played full release games that were far lower in quality over the years. If all they had done was fix bugs and give us 0.90 with a few stability enhancements and bug fixes, it would be a great game.

The other thing to appreciate is that software development is mostly under the hood. What is difficult to execute in software, and takes time and effort to debug and get working right is stuff that, from a user perspective, is frankly unimportant and would warrant perhaps a single line in release notes.

For example, the hard part in modelling the physics in KSP is being able to assemble a large complex spacecraft out of components, model their interaction under flight conditions, and have the thing stay together and be controllable with user input (and fly through space in a way that deals with a huge range of orders of magnitude of distance and time interactions). That is something that we take for granted because it works now, and it works pretty well. What is not hard is tweaking the values of individual forces, masses and so on of each component so that they make gameplay better. We, the user, see "full parts re-ballance" and think, "this is a huge change to the game". What the developer sees is, "this is a day or two with a spreadsheet to tweak some numbers on an already working system". We see "massive aerodynamics change will fundamentally change gameplay", developer sees, "one function is changed from F = m * v to F = k * A * v^2" (A is cross sectional area, k is arbitrary constant). We see "full resource system", they see "a handful of new parts and some surface maps".

The things that will need sorting out to bring the quality of 0.90 up to 1.0 standard are things like memory leaks and stability. There have been statements on Tuesday developer posts indicating these are being worked on, but when we, the forum community see "big effort at stability and bug fixing" on one line and "new aerodynamics model" on another, we think the second one is the huge big deal, but actually, from a software development perspective, and from the point of view of getting the game to 1.0 standard, it's the first one that is way, way more difficult to achieve and way more important.

TL;DR: Squad has done a damed good job so far with getting releases out to a high standard so far, I trust them to do it again. If they say "it's ready for 1.0", I am prepared to trust them.

The things that will need sorting out to bring the quality of 0.90 up to 1.0 standard are things like memory leaks and stability.

This is all I really care about. If this is not addressed then all the changes and extra goodies will be pointless as V 1.0 will be unplayable on my current PC

"New cinematics for EVA"

What exactly does that mean and where was it mentioned?

It should be in the link over the text, anyway it was intented to express new kind of animation for EVA :)

What about the tourism contracts for civilians in space? Was there a post about that?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/108305-Squadcast-Summary-%2824-01-2015%29-The-Valentina-Edition

It should be in the link over the text, anyway it was intented to express new kind of animation for EVA :)

It links to a dev-notes, in which the only mention of any animations is this

Daniel (danRosas): Been working on the final touches of the upgraded rig for the animations. Shoulders are moving a bit funky, but nothing grave. Should be fixed with a couple of constraints. Imported into the game two new buildings for revision, in order to bounce back comments to Nick. Same thing with the female version of the Kerbals, needs to be approved inside the engine, to move forward with the implementation. On the other hand, we’re considering making some adjustments to the production schedule for the buildings, in order to give them more priority for now.

Ether they mentioned it previously or I am missing something here haha, because that says nothing about new EVA animations...

Am I the only person who think that the fairings will not be acting as some kind of heatshield? I guess, given a loose enough definition, they do protect things from re-entry, but that's because they're protecting the parts from the airflow (not because they're absorbing the heat of scraping through the atmosphere). There was no mentions that the fairings themselves would be able to withstand re-entry.. Like, have a shallow re-entry with a very very delicate part inside the fairing and it'll be protected, but I wouldn't count on them for an Eve aerocapture.. Not to mention that fairings are supposed to make a payload more aerodynamic and well, when was the last time you saw a pointy heatshield? Not saying it's not gonna happen, but don't be surprised if it doesn't because I don't think that's what they meant.