Valentina Kerman

SQUAD

I completely approve of the entire female Kerbal thing - including the presented first round representation - well done Squad. Really well done!

However, I can't help feel it is bit of a "Oh look! Bunt cake!" moment which distracts from other very pressing and important issues / bugs / missing features.

So from me it's a pat on the back combined with a kick up the backside.

Good. Simple yet effective. I like how she looks in the promo shot but I wonder how she looks EVA or in the portrait view. Of course not that the Kraken or gravity cares what gender a Kerbal is... ;) However, I do feel that the kerbals in general do need different color hair or even different hairlines to differentiate each of them male and female. Perhaps randomly generated (or procedural, I don't care), but that's a different topic/debate.

..wait, nobody noticed this?
I don't see why you think this is special. If I hated Squad and KSP I wouldn't be bothering to post here, show off what I do in the game on occasion, or be a part of this community; it wouldn't be worth my time.

From my perspective Squad is just colossally bad at having an actual plan, are terribly bad at communicating in part because they have no actual plan, and are duct-taping tired game mechanic memes together in the hopes of making a coherent game after hitting it out of the ballpark with an incredible basic idea for a game. They're starting to fix some deep problems that the game has had for a long time and adding some badly needed realistic features, and if they can actually fix their memory leaks and write a proper asset manager to help 32-bit computers they'll have a pretty good game. In truth they're looking a lot better now than they did last year, but they still have a long way to go, and I don't entirely trust them to continue development beyond an update past 1.0.

If you take the above paragraph as "hate" then I question your critical thinking skills and ask that you take off the fanboy blinders. I am continually amazed that people around here don't bother trying to comprehend what a post is actually about (for certain, we're all guilty of that).

I don't see why you think this is special. If I hated Squad and KSP I wouldn't be bothering to post here, show off what I do in the game on occasion, or be a part of this community; it wouldn't be worth my time.

From my perspective Squad is just colossally bad at having an actual plan, are terribly bad at communicating in part because they have no actual plan, and are duct-taping tired game mechanic memes together in the hopes of making a coherent game after hitting it out of the ballpark with an incredible basic idea for a game. They're starting to fix some deep problems that the game has had for a long time and adding some badly needed realistic features, and if they can actually fix their memory leaks and write a proper asset manager to help 32-bit computers they'll have a pretty good game. In truth they're looking a lot better now than they did last year, but they still have a long way to go, and I don't entirely trust them to continue development beyond an update past 1.0.

If you take the above paragraph as "hate" then I question your critical thinking skills and ask that you take off the fanboy blinders. I am continually amazed that people around here don't bother trying to comprehend what a post is actually about (for certain, we're all guilty of that).

Yeah...

You're really a very concerned and vocal member of the community, aren't you? Concerned for KSP itself, that is. I can understand that.

Criticizing what is done by Squad is an important part of the development of KSP. It wouldn't be the same if the criticizing part wasn't there. And really it just goes to show how awesome this community is.

You're really a very concerned and vocal member of the community, aren't you?
I like seeing my posts. I think they're Good.

It's pretty cool that Squad are finally responding to the last few year's criticism. Too bad they didn't bother telling all of us who were worried that KSP wasn't going to see those critical fixes that they were waiting on them, or responded to bug reports about them in a sane manner. That certainly would have reduced some angst around here.

Also, Val is pretty cool, I think they did a great job.

Little late to the party, (technical issues on my end) but yeah, not sure the eyelashes where necessary, but looks like squad's done quite a decent job.

Also, we have mods which customise hair and things using textures, so....

..any chance of releasing the texture early? Pretty please with a booster on top?

I went and looked at some pictures of the real Valentina, and there something about Valentina Kerbal that catches that look. It's subtle, but when you look at pictures of her contemporaries, people such as Yuri and Alexei, there aren't huge differences except for the shape of the face in the helmet.

And you can say much the same for the women pioneers in aviation generally, such as Amy Johnson, and the motorcyclists of the same era. There was a certain bias in the formal photography, but they were not like models or film stars, and they were known for what they did rather than for a pretty face.

Historical footnote: as kids, HarvesteR and his twin brother Moach used to play with matchstick astronauts from a race they named Kermans. "Kerbal" is the adjective form of Kerman, and that is the name players adopted for the creatures themselves, so it stuck. Thus, Kerman is not actually a surname. :D It's the race's name, just as ours is "human."

It all gets explained here. :wink:

Be advised to read from the beginning after checking the paragraph concerning the name Kerman, this has become my main source as a Kerbal background story.

In KSK's First Flight storyline the word Kerman comes from Kerm-an, translatable into "outside the Kerm" - a Kerm being a sentient tree influencing the land of a Grove, the natural symbiotic form of a Kerbal community. Those leaving their Grove traditionally still call themselves Kerman.

I really like her, will there be 2 other female kerbals so we can have a female big three? (maybe Sally and Margaret)

"Maargaret ... Maaaargaret!!?"

"Yes?!"

"Do we have any solar sails with pirate styled motifs!?"

"Have you looked in the top drawer?!"

That is one neat female Kerbonaut!

Suggestion:

What about some slight variation on texture or even mesh for Kerbalnauts and Kerbalnautresses (im sure thats not a word) !? Like blonde, black hair with slight difference in mesh or some skin color variations!?

I really hope the mk-2 capsule (is it called mk2 ? Anyway, the white one with 3 seats) will be getting a fourth seat, otherwise i wont be able to get Valentina Kerman and the original three together :/

As the IVAs are getting revamped for 1.0, that may be possible :)

it would make the capsule symetrical : right now it´s 2seats on top and 1 on the bottom, it would be 2 and 2 :)

(But then they would have to expand the capacity of the Kerbal container (again, i forgot its real name) because it would be useless in comparison to this capsule)

I would bet that if Squad decides to have a four kerbal capsule it wouldn't be a revamp of the mk 1-2 pod but a completely new pod built on the 3.75 size.

Excellent. I think a good job adding feminine characteristics while still making them clearly Kerbal. I can't wait to see the character animations for the female kerbals :D

- - - Updated - - -

Amen to that. Whoever thought hashing a string was a good way to set attributes was ... well, I'll leave it at that. ROLL SOME DAMN DICE!

I can see using that to initially set an attribute. I'm just sad there is no way to edit it after the fact. I guess that's to prevent someone from being like "oh, I need a level 3 engineers. I have 3 level 3 pilots. I'll just turn one into an engineer!) even though they all level up using the same process.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much awesome, good job!

..wait, nobody noticed this?

Sorry, I fainted immediately after reading it and forgot ;)

Oh, not at all, I think you are usually very reasonable, and I agree 100% that if we didn't love this game we wouldn't waste our times posting in this forum, no matter how nitpicky our posts are.

That been said, you're still the grumpy dude. High praise from you is special.

P.S.: I'm assuming "dude" from the artwork on your avatar, so forgive me if it should have been "grumpy girl". I mean no offense in either previous post.

For future reference, I'm a dude. And I also think Valentina was a very well done job.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.